Chapter VIII

Till Death Do Us Part

"So you still haven't done it yet?" Onew looked at Key like he's accusing him of a heinous crime. "But you do realize that one way or the other this must be done." Onew nods at this. It's the third time they talked about this and Key is still convincing him to just get on with it. "Did you talk to her again?"

"No. We haven't been talking." Well they don't usually talk but before this consummation issue happened they'd been okay. He found that he actually misses the quiet way Luna sits with him while he watches tv. Now she reads inside their room while Onew works in the living room or watch anything worth his attention on tv. She still waits for him before going to sleep. She would still make coffee in the morning but she no longer eats with him. 

"It's been 2 weeks since you talked to her father." Key said as if Onew doesn't know this. "And now both of you would have to be in your father-in-law's party." 

"I told Luna we don't have to go but her father called and demanded we attend." Onew doesn't want other people to see just how much of a facade their marriage is. Anything that would insult his family or his father would be bad for his reputation and the elections is fast approaching. "Do you know how many hyenas would be there? She'd be surrounded by people who'd swallow her whole."

"She'd been surrounded by them her whole life. She lived with these monsters. Why worry now?" Key said not liking the way Onew worries about Luna. "I know for a fact that she's not the vulnerable, weak woman she's pretending to be and you should well remember that."

"You don't live with her."

"I don't have to live with her to know that. She's probably a pyscho just bidding her time to make her move." A few days ago their efforts in investigating Luna's past paid off. After she left the country Luna stayed in an asylum for a couple of months then she moved into a quiet village living alone until she was called back by her father. 

"We still do not know everything."

"How bad do you think happened to her that up until now she can't sleep alone? She wakes up screaming like a maniac if you're not with her." Onew can't deny this even though they do not speak Luna refuses to sleep without Onew. "There's something about her that doesn't sit right with me. Attend the party. She doesn't have a choice. Both of you know that." Key sighed and looked at Onew with plea. "You have to pretend that somehow you are happily married to her." 

Onew was determined to do just that so when the time for the party came Luna was by his side looking like the wife that he should have. The party has already started when they arrived. They were greeted by Key who was also invited along with them. Luna's parents welcomed them as well. Her mother planted a chaste kiss on Luna's cheek while she offered Onew hers. "You look... rested." She finished her sentence eyeing the simple gown her daughter is wearing, covering her from neck to toes.

Luna said nothing and Onew complimented her mother's looks. "You should meet the rest of the family Onew. You didn't get the chance at your wedding." So Onew was ushered away from Luna. She nods her head and looks for an empty table without him. Onew found himself ed to one relative to another.

"Dear brother, it's so nice to finally get to meet you." Luna's oldest sister Junghee greeted him. She is pretty with her short hair and full lips and her eyes sparkles. She looks nothing like her plain sister who barely meets anyone's eyes. "I see you have deserted your little wife."

"She just wanted to get a drink and meet other relatives." Onew lied but he knew she saw all that when she smirked at him.

"How are you coping up with everything though? Can you sleep peacefully at night?" She looked at Onew waiting for him to say something but he held his tongue. "By now you should know she screams like a banshee in the middle of the night." She took a sip of wine and searched the crowd for someone. "Do you think you're safe with her?"

"We're fine." Onew said not liking the smile gracing her lips. 

"My sister hates parties. She hates people actually. There she is," Junghee points at Luna who was with two aunts he assumes. Both looked old and stern. "Ever the wallflower my dear little sister." She left Onew without saying goodbye and he watched her go to his wife. Both aunts left the sisters alone and Onew watches them intently.

"What did she say?" Key was beside him in a heartbeat.

"Didn't you hear? I thought you were eavesdropping." 

"I couldn't really hear everything with all this noise." Key saw the sisters talking. Luna nods now and then and the grim on her face grew darker every second that passes. The youngest sister came to them with her husband and both introduced themselves.

"I was so surprised to hear that you were marrying my sister. Sorry we couldn't attend it." She was pleasant to the eyes and smiled at Onew and Key. "My sister was away for too long and we don't really talk much but I'm happy she married well." She excused herself leaving Onew and Key with her husband.

"I heard your father is eyeing a seat in the senate." Junho said looking everywhere but Onew. "Our father-in-law hit jackpot when Luna married you." Onew tried to ignore the malice in his voice. "I heard she's a screamer. I never got to meet her, she was the mysterious sister that everyone talked about but no one really cared. Tell me, how did you do it?"

"Do what?" Onew said restraining himself from hitting his brother-in-law. Key was giving him a warning to stay out of trouble with his eyes.

"She's not ugly but really boring to look at. She doesn't even smile. I heard she's haunted and acts crazy at times. I'm amaze that you have the stomach to live with her let alone bed her."

"What did you say?" Onew gritted his teeth while Key grabbed his arm.

"Come on don't be angry, its the truth." Junho continued. "My wife said Luna's body is covered with scars but I guess with the lights off any woman would be the same." Onew was ready to punch him when Luna arrived. 

"My dear sister-in-law! It's so nice to see you!" Junho faked a smile and Luna actually smiled back somehow this made Onew even angrier that he wanted to break the man's face. "You look gorgeous," the man added even planting a kiss on both Luna's cheeks.

"Thank you, you're too kind." Onew could not take it anymore and grabbed her hand saying a hasty goodbye to Key and Junho. He did not let go until they were out the hall.

"What are you doing?" Luna rubs her wrist that Onew tightly held while he was dragging her.

"I don't like that guy." He said looking sorry for the pain he caused her.

"I didn't like him too but you don't have to storm out of there." She took a few steps away from him and took a deep breath. They came out to a large garden. Onew almost forgot that this is Luna's childhood home. 

"We don't have to go back if you don't want to." Onew said after a while. Luna turned to him and smiled. He found it that he kind of like the way she smiles. 

"Thank you but I don't think father will be happy if we suddenly disappear." Luna said.

Onew thought for a moment. "He could always think we're in a hurry to make him a grandfather." He saw the fear in her eyes and he regrets saying it. "Sorry."

"I've thought about it you know." Onew waited for her to continue not wanting to interrupt in case she shies away. "It's crazy and I don't like it and I know you despise it. but if there is no other way then I think..."

"What do you mean?" Onew was now very curious as to where this conversation is going.

"My father won't let this go until he gets what he wants. We can deny him but your father will not be safe as well as your sister. I'm willing if you are." Onew could not believe she just said that. He could see the doubt on her face, of course she is afraid but why is she agreeing to this? Before Onew could speak Luna talks again. 

"I realized there is no going back, I'm stuck with you. And I think between the two of us, I'm the lucky one. I don't have a boyfriend before I met you. I had nothing to lose."

"But you had a life abroad." Onew spoke at last.

"It wasn't really much. It was a lie, everyday was a struggle to move on. I sometimes wish I'd die while sleeping but the nightmares would wake me. But with you... finally I was able to sleep peacefully. I've decided to give this marriage a shot. I won't demand anything but one thing. That we should always sleep together in one bed. I've been having nightmares ever since I can remember and it's only with you that they disappear."

"So you will agree to have a baby in exchange for a good night's sleep?"

"A good night's sleep is a luxury to me." 

Onew can't believe this. She is willing to get pregnant. She is willing to consumate the marriage.

"It doesn't have to be the natural way you know." Luna talked again when Onew didn't respond. "Technology can help us."

"No way!" Onew said. "I mean it's something that the media would find out. And it'd be another disaster." And if Onew is going to have a child he'd rather do it the natural way even if it was with the wrong woman. But she is his wife. His mind fills up with Seohyun's face and he was lost in the moment.

"There you are!" Luna's father beamed at them then to Onew's surprise with him is Seohyun's father. He quickly introduced them to each other not bothering to say that he already knows the other man since he is his ex-girlfriend's father.

"So this is your daughter..." Seohyun's father said. He looked at Luna from head to toe. Onew saw that she was uncomfortable so he put his arm around her shoulder. "Are you treating her well?" Onew just nods and did not even bother to hide his anger.

"Luna why don't you come with me for a while?" Her father pulled her from Onew's arms and she reluctantly went with him. 

"Don't go yet," he said when Onew turned to leave. "I have something to say." Onew stopped but did not turn around to face him. "My daughter was devastated when she learned of your affair. You betrayed her when all she did was love you."

"I love your daughter and you know that."

"Shouldn't you be saying that to your little wife? I found out that she's a bit unstable. A bit crazy is what they say. You should be taking care of her instead of lamenting over a past love. Forget about my daughter and focus on your wife."

"Seohyun and I haven't seen each other since - "

"And you shouldn't ever!" He said harshly. "Leave my daughter alone. You are married. Your family is already in a sensitive spot and your father is also running. Do you think you could dodge another bullet or scandal?" Onew already turned to face him and Mr. Seo walked closer. "You might escape unscathe but what of your little wife?"

"Are you making threats?"

"I don't make threats Onew, you have to remember that." He pats Onew's shoulder and left.

-

He found Luna and Key arguing over food. "Let's go!" Onew dragged her away and Key followed right away. 

"Onew what happened?" Key and Luna asked at the same time.

"Don't talk and just get in the car both of you!" Onew shouted.

"Uhm I have my own car so I'll just leave the two of you alone." Key hurriedly walked away from them while Onew got into the car, Luna had no choice but to follow him. She didn't ask him what happened and they went inside his apartment still not talking. He was the first to go and take a shower while Luna made tea. They have no food except for a couple of eggs and some milk. She would have to go and buy some supplies tomorrow. Key used to buy it but he's been so busy lately and she could not ask Onew to buy it for them. It took a while for Onew to come out and when he did his face is already calm. 

"It's your turn now," he said indicating the use of the shower.

Luna nodded and gathered her things before going to the shower. Why does it feel like he looks at her differently now? Did something happen earlier that changed the mood? What did Seohyun's  father say to him? When she came out Onew was already lying on the bed, she is now familiar with his scent and she likes it so much that she wanted to use the same soap as his. The lights are turned off so she decided to sleep too even though she still wanted to do some reading. She settled on her side of the bed when Onew turned towards her and grabbed her close.

"Onew what are you doing?" 

"You said you want to sleep together, you only sleep peacefully if I hold you close." Onew said and drew her closer to his body. "Relax, we're not doing it tonight." She could almost see him laughing but she ignored it. He couldn't even say it properly, how and when is it gonna happen then?

"Good night," Onew whispered and brushed his lips on her head. Luna could feel the warmth of that lips even though the contact did not last long. No one ever did that. She did not say it back. How could she when she felt her whole face blushing from the mere thought of his lips. Onew fell asleep before her. She kept on thinking on what changes will happen now that they decided to give it a shot. She will forget the reasons on why they're married and will do her best to make his life easier. Luna fell asleep thinking of a better life for both of them.

-

 

AN:

It took me a long time to finish this chapter. ^^ 

Thank you for leaving comments.

Keep reading!