Chapter IV

Till Death Do Us Part

"You're kidding right?" My husband of two days stared at me without care. His eyes not showing any emotion but I could tell he was in a hurry to get rid of me. So why are we now in the same apartment?

Onew continued to move my things out of his way. I arrived an hour earlier, Key drove me here but did not really say anything. Come to think of it, he never spoke to me again not even at the wedding. "Yah! Why are you here?" I raised my voice when he continued to ignore me. He stopped for a moment and glared at me. At last a reaction coming from my husband.

"This is my apartment." 

So this is what I'm going to endure again, living with another person who hates me. I thought after the wedding I could simply disappear. The wedding was a disaster, well a disaster for him and his family, but my father was really happy. He got what he wanted just as always.

"Wae? You thought you'd live here alone?" He turned his back again and went to the kitchen. The apartment is not really that small if there's only one person. But with the two of us here it would be like a cage. Another cage for me. It only had one bathroom and one bedroom. So where am I to sleep? "Believe me, this was not my idea."

"Why here?" I found myself asking. If we're living together at least we could have gotten a new place.

"This is closer to my office. The security is good. I already live here and I didn't want to move to another place." He took out a bottled water and drank all of it in one go. "I wanted to live as normal as possible."

"You do know that having me as your wife would never be normal."

He threw the bottle in the bin, it's always so easy to make him angry. Just my presence irritates him. How could he stomach living here with me? Is he planning something?

"It's either my apartment or my parents' house," he revealed. He suddenly removed his jacket and his shirt. But I did not flinch. I already saw this before besides I told myself I would fight back. I would no longer just sit and watch them run my life. If he thought he could intimidate me by going in front of me then he's crazy. "Look, we both know we do not want to be together. You were forced into this as I was - "

"What makes you think I was forced into this?" I cut him. I caught his attention again and we fought with our eyes. He looked away first. 

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want to."

"You wanted to marry me?"

"I wanted to get free of that name."

"You could have just married anyone, that would have solved your problem." He removed his pants without any hesitation and went to the only bedroom in this apartment. 

"Why don't you just file for divorce?" I followed him, I don't care if he goes in front of me but lucky me he was already taking a shower. I sat on the bed and waited for his answer. He didnt give any until he was done and came out wearing just a towel. He went to his closet and started to dress, this time I looked away. "Yah, I asked you a question."

"Onew." He's finally dressed and decided that it's time to sleep when he suddenly laid on the bed. It was big enough for two. "Call me by name from now on."

"Why not file for divorce?" I ignore him, I couldn't help but smell that fresh scent of someone who just got ouf of a shower. I dared look at him and his eyes were close and his hands below his head. 

"You think that would solve anything? Whoever planned this made sure that I would have no escape, not if I want my father's career ruined or my sister's chance with a decent wedding trampled." 

I didn't comment on this. I would not even say sorry for anything.

"Someone's out there wanting to destroy my father's political career. My father has big plans for the senate, our stocks were at its lowest a day after our scandal and without the money to back him up or good reputation he would not survive politics."

"Believe me, I tried everything. But nothing worked. And here we are. Married." He said with finality. I left the room and went to gather my things. Only two bags. All my things are in these bags. And they say my family is rich. I was not one for shopping. I like to dress comfortable, my sisters dress to impress. Of course I could not wear the outfits they prefer. My body is not perfect. It nerver was, not after that fire. It doesn't show on my face but my back and right leg from my knee to my thigh was badly burned. That's why I never wear skirts or anything that would show my ugly leg. 

After the fire I stayed for more than a year in the hospital. I never recovered from the trauma, the nightmares always visit me and tonight would not be an exception. Onew. He said to call him by his name. He's playing the good guy. He's smart, I think he wants me to reveal what i know. But once I do that would he turn into a monster like my mother?

I took a shower and changed my clothers. I didn't even bother getting a blanket or pillow. I don't think I could sleep here. I would just watch some tv, maybe it would distract me. I found a channel worth my time and made myself comfortable on the sofa. Thirty minutes into the show I started to feel sleepy and soon enough I closed my eyes and slept.

When I woke up, it was already morning and I was in bed with my husband. I don't remember waking up or moving to his bed. So how? He couldn't have carried me here to sleep? Just what is he thinking? Onew is quite unpredictable and made me want to believe that he is being nice but I know he has a motive and I would not be manipulated again.

I realized that I was actually embracing my husband while he sleeps soundly. What is happening with me? And why don't I remember anything? I removed myself and moved away from him. Then it dawned on me. I slept soundly without a nightmare. I slept beside a stranger who I call my husband and the nightmare didn't come.

"Just what are you?" I asked his sleeping form. I quickly got out of bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face. What is this weird feeling? Why did it feel safe when I was near him? What is happening?

I stayed in the bathroom for too long that my husband knocked on the door, "I need to use the bathroom too." I didn't meet his eyes and he didn't say anything. I walked out of the room and went to the kitchen. Why is this apartment so small that I can't hide? I needed to remember last night. Onew took his time in the shower and I found myself making coffee. There was not anything to eat but luckily he has coffee.

I almost dropped the cup when he suddenly appeared. He took a cup of coffee and sat opposite me. There's only four stools and a small table good for four. 

"At least you're good at making coffee," he said as he took another sip. 

Finally I gathered my courage and asked him about last night. He likes to take his time maybe to annoy me or he's thinking of words to use, or he wants to calculate his answer. "You were screaming."

Of course the nightmares again.

"You wouldn't wake up, I couldn't wake you up. You were trashing in your sleep and almost punch me. I should have slapped you but I thought that would still not wake you up. It seems like whatever you were seeing in your dream is a living nightmare. So I carried you, more like wrestled with you to get you inside the room. I didn't want the neighbors waking up to your screams." He stopped at that, stood up and rinsed his cup. After the wedding the media also stopped following us. It's like they lost interest or maybe they were just paid. We also got rid of the bodyguards, Onew thinks there'd be no threat to his life, but I strongly believe his father has someone watching us.

"What happened when we got into the room?" 

"I dropped you head first on the floor." I knew he was joking because if he did my head would have hurt like hell right now or a bump would have formed. "I managed to get us both in bed, and I held you close." He made some hand gestures. "Then after a few seconds you stopped screaming."

I don't believe him. Why would a simple embrace stop my nightmares?

"You don't remember?" He asked with honest curiousity. I shook my head. "Krystal told me this happened everynight at the summer house. Come to think of it, when we were together at the hotel room you also did not have any nightmare. If you had there's no way no one would come to your rescue. But you were drugged so maybe that's why..." I didn't tell him that no drug could make the nightmares go away. "Strange. How long have you had these nightmares?" I've seen cruelty and rejection a lot of times that I could recognize it with my eyes close but his expression is so unlike the others that I opened my mouth to answer him.

I told him I've had them since I was a child and that it was because of a fire. But I didn't tell him that it was my mother who started the fire nor the reason why.

"Are you seeing someone?" I knew what he was referring to. Of course I've had my share of doctors and shrink but the wounds were so deep that my brain would not let me forget. Some people bury the feelings and memories deep inside that they would often forget but not me. Every night my demons visit me.

"I don't understand."

I looked at him with a puzzled look on his face.

"Me neither." 

Someone rang the bell and Onew went to answer it. A moment later our first visitor came in the form of his bestfriend Key. He looked from Onew to me and back to his friend. 

"Uhm so... what happened?" Key asked to no one in particular. He had bags of food and supplies and seeing them made me remember I was hungry but before I could reach them Onew took the bags and removed the goods one by one. He took some eggs and sausages and started cooking. 

"How do you want your eggs done?" This question caught me off guard. No one ever asked me this question. It took me a moment to answer and not before Key waved his hand near my face. He is starting to annoy me and it's still early in the morning, I tried to remind myself that he was the one who brought us food and should just ignore him.

Onew continued cooking while Key busied himself arranging what he brought. They looked like a couple more than us. Key took his place again, the place that Onew vacated so when Onew was done cooking breakfast he ended up seated beside me.

"Wah this coffee is amazing!" Key poured himself another cup. Onew didn't bother telling him who made it and he didn't bother asking. We ate our breakfast with Key telling us some information. I concentrated on my food but his voice goes thru my invisible wall and my brains accepts his messages. He said the gunman is still not found. My father is on a trip to New York. Onew's parents decided to stay at the summer house for a couple of weeks and he is not expected at the office for a couple of days. "The office were told you were out of town for a honeymoon. Maybe you could go back by next week." Onew only nodded at this. We finished our breakfast and no one offered to wash the plates. We washed our own plates and Onew washed the pans and other dishes we used. He didn't expect me to do this for him and I had no intention of doing it for anyone else. It was enough that I washed my own plates. No one told him to cook for me.

"So what's next?" Key asked as Onew dried the last plate. "The wedding's done, you can't divorce her anytime soon. We still don't know who was behind this except that Luna's father is part of it - " Onew put up his hand to stop Key from saying more. "Oh I thought she wouldn't care."

I ignored Key and went to the living room which was not really that faraway from the kitchen. I noticed my things were no longer scattered in the living room.

"I put them inside. You can take the other closet, I emptied it for you." Onew said without looking at me. Key finally understood something after a while.

"You two slept together didn't you?" I wanted to throw the vase on the table at his face. He had to nerve to clap his hands and laugh. "Sorry but, it's just funny." He laughed for a while and Onew let him be. I couldn't take it anymore.

"If you don't stop laughing I'm going to bite your ear." I said with as much threat as I could muster. He stopped laughing but I could still see the mischief in his eyes.

"Oh by the way someone is back from Canada." Key said and I saw Onew froze. His face darkened and he went from the warm person who cooked breakfast  to the complete stranger who I married.

"When?"

"Last night, don't worry she doesn't know."

"You're sure?"

"Of course, besides she doesn't have any means to know remember."

"You don't know her, she'd do anything to get any information."

"Don't worry, right now she has two very good guards." I didnt' know who they were talking about, maybe his girlfriend Seohyun? I stood up and went to the room without a word. I felt Key's eyes follow me but I ignored him. Let him think what he wants.

"How long are you going to keep her there?"

"I'm not sure, it's up to her." I continued to hear their conversation until I decided to unpack my bags and get busy.There's no use listening to them. After a while I heard the door open and close. Maybe both of them went out. But I heard movements in the living room. I opened the door expecting to see Onew but instead found Key.

"I thought you'd never come out."

"Where's Onew?"

"Missing your husband already?" He teased and I tried not to smack his head with a pillow. I'm not usuallly a violent person but Key is testing my patience. "He just went out to clear his head. He'd be back. Relax will you? I don't bite, unlike you." He patted the seat next to him asking me to sit beside him. I chose to sit farthest from him instead. "So what are your plans?"

"Nothing."

"You're a liar and not a good one. You may look tough but I know things about you." His tone changed, it became serious. No longer teasing.

"If so why ask me of my plans? You should have found out about it too," 

"You're funny. I think we'd get along." I knew he didn't believe that for one second. "Let's just say your life would be easier if you cooperate." This time it was me who laughed. He must be joking! My life would never be easy. I live with my nightmares. I sleep with my demons. "At least I made you laugh." Key said after I stopped laughing and composed myself.

"Onew, though you may not believe it, is a good guy." He started again drawing my attention back. "You see, his the good son. Followed this and that for his parents happiness. He made up for all the headaches his sister gave their parents. This marriage is like suicide to him." I listend with my face devoid of emotion. "He was to marry once he convinces Seohyun's father. They are very much in love, well Onew is very much in love. If you ask me I think Seohyun is just infatuated. But Onew worships her and I could only support his happiness. Her father didn't approve of their relationship because Onew's father is his rival but Onew and Seohyun continued their relationship. And then you came into the picture. Well your father did first and then you."

"What are you getting at?"

"We went on to investigate and found out that your father is losing a lot of money. Failed investments and unpaid loans. His company is barely surviving. And now after your wedding, all loans are paid. And he got more funds to continue. He saved the company from bankruptcy and the most unsual thing happened." He paused for a moment, searching for some emotion on my face perhaps.

"Why don't you just finish whatever you want to say?"

"I told you we dug your families secrets, well not all I'm sure there are still some that we do not know but we do know that you were not his favorite daughter. So imagine my shock when I found out just this morning that your father changed his will." Another dramatic pause but I didn't speak. I'd let him take his time. "Did you know that in the previous one he only left you a small amount compared to your other sisters and mother?" I shook my head, of course I didn't know and I didn't care. "Right now, in the case that he will die all his shares goes to you. And when I say all that means 75% of the company."

What is my father playing at? Why would he do such a thing? I never cared for the company and he never cared to find out if I did. It was my dead brother's inheritance.

"Your mother still holds 10% and the rest goes to the other officials." Key looked at me with interest. "Your father is playing a game. We still don't know the whole picture but I think your father has a bigger plan. Other properties are already named after your mother but the company is all yours if he dies. You will have the biggest share and if you want to be the boss then you can claim it anytime." 

"I don't undestand."

"There's more," he continued. "You remember that prenuptial agreement you signed?" I nodded my head just so Key would go on. "Did you read it?" 

"No."

"Then you're stupid." I let it pass, he's actually right. I am stupid. 

"Did you know your father put a lot of pressure on Onew's family just to draft that document? He knows how to play and he found out some secrets. Of course, blackmail is something that we were expecting but he found Mr. Lee's weakness. He found out that Onew is not Mr. Lee's real son." I tried to show him that this news did not affect me but it did.

"Is Onew...?"

"Yes, he knows." 

"So Krystal and Onew are not really related."

"Nope, they have the same mother." Key shifted and directed his attention at the coffee table. "So back to the prenup that you faied to read, right now the CEO is still Onew's dad though Onew has been running the company for five years. He is slowly giving the reigns to Onew and in the near future Onew would be the new CEO. The agreement was, in case of a divorce whoever files for it, whatever he owns goes to you."

"Bwoh?"

"And in case either of you dies, you or Onew will have sole ownership of everything the other owns." I still could not understand everything and Key saw this. "Your father is sure you won't divorce Onew so he was confident. If Onew dies then you would be on the top 10 richest woman in our country. But if you die..." He didn't finish his sentence he looked at me full in the eyes but I could not read his face.

I stood up and left Key in the living room. I went to the kitchen and tried to force myself to breathe but I found it difficult. My brain can't digest everything I've heard and my heart is pounding like crazy and I feel the blood rush to my face then when I turned around I saw Key just a few feet away from me. How did he get there without me noticing it?

"Luna, are you okay?"

I blinked and saw someone else's face. It was no longer Key. That face that haunted me for years. He was angry and he's yelling.

"Jiyoung?" I heard myself say though I'm not sure if I had opened my mouth.

He turned to me with a demented smile on his face. I took a step back as I saw him approach. He has something hidden behind his back.

"Jiyoung, what's wrong?" Before I knew it he took out the gun and pointed it at me then my world was shattered with a gun shot and I collapsed on the floor.

-

 

 

So was he or was he not holdilng a gun?

I'd like to write next chapter using Onew's POV.

Thank you for readiing and even much much more thanks for leaving a comment!

Love lots!

- chemistrykim