Chapter X

Till Death Do Us Part

When Onew came home that night Luna immediately felt the change. It's not the way he greeted her, not the way he looked at her, or the way he firmly told her that he'd take a shower first, she felt it when she briefly held his hand. The touch, though it did not last long, felt so unreal, his hand was cold. It didn't feel warm like how she remembered it just before he left. She knew something has changed, and Onew does not want her to know.

He still slept close to her, felt him move closer but the warmth that fills the room whenever she is with him on this bed sharing the same blanket is gone. It was a miracle how she still slept nicely that night. The next morning she woke up with her hugging Onew close. Carefully she got out of bed, made coffee and waited for Onew to wake up, but when she was done with her first cup of coffee Onew was still asleep. She decided to let him be, whether he is just so tired or he is pretending to sleep she didn't want to know. She took a bath and decided that she needed to spend some time outside and maybe do some grocery shopping later. 

She left him a message on a sticky note and posted it on the bathroom door, he surely won't miss it. 

Luna was not even far from the building when Krystal cornered her. She immediately took a few steps back thinking that Krystal might strike her. It's not that she won't fight back but she didn't feel like doing it today. 

Krystal smirked at the way she backed out. "Going somewhere?" Luna nodded at her. "Where's my brother?"

"Apartment."

"Good."

Luna tried to walk past her but Krystal held her back. "What do you want?" 

Krystal smirked at the way she got irritated, she looked pretty as always with her casual clothes and hair tied up in a ponytail. "Mom wanted me to tell you that there would be a party three days from now. It's her birthday. She called my brother but he's not answering his phone and we do not have your number."

She wanted to tell Krystal that a text message would have been good but she kept shut expecting Krystal to leave after she delivered the message. When Krystal still did not move Luna turned around walked away from her.

"Hey, you rude girl wait up!" Luna ignored her and kept on walking. "What's up with the y attitude in the morning? Didn't you get laid last night?"

"Is there anything more you'd like to tell me?"

"Nope, but I wanna tag along. I was permitted to get out today and I want to spend it with someone. You're not much to be with but at least it won't be boring."

Luna got on the bus and Krystal went with her. She ended up paying for both of them since Krystal did not bring any money or bus card. It was a short ride and they were off to a busy supermarket. 

"Oohh you're buying supplies! How domestic!" 

"Can you please shut up?"

"Do you really think I'd do something you tell me to? You should be thanking me for going with you and use this opportunity to get on my good side."

Sometimes she wonders if Krystal has multiple personalities. Luna got a cart and started with getting some milk. Krystal disappeared and when she showed up she had a bottle of wine with her. 

"It's good quality," she said and disappeared again to another aisle. This happened several times, she got chips, cookies, chocolates, cheese, grapes, mangoes, marshmallows, and even dog food.

"We do not have a dog!" Luna almost yelled.

"You don't?" She chuckled at Luna's expression and removed the dog food from the cart. Luna went on to get some meat and egg. She met Krystal at the vegetable section.

"These potatoes look lovely," she commented.

"We don't need them," Luna said.

"How about some carrots?" 

Luna shook her head.

"Hmmm, some turnips or these cute little green peas,"

"No, no and no!" Luna left her after getting the vegetables she wanted which were not much. Krystal made her pay for everything and she even complained that there is not enough cheese.

"How are we gonna carry these?" Luna said out loud. 

"Let's call Onew oppa, why don't we go to that little cafe over there and get some iced coffee." She charmed the grocery employee to help them carry the bags to the nearest cafe. Krystal winked at the man who blushed before leaving.

"I'll treat you with some coffee," she declared and left Luna to order at the counter. Luna checked her phone for the time and she already spent almost three hours with Krystal. "I got us some cake," Krystal came back and sat opposite her. "Did you call my brother?" Luna shook her head. "Tsk, why do I always have to do everything!" She got busy with her phone and Luna pretended not to care. "Yeah, we're stuck here oppa." Pause. "Nope, no taxi." She nods her head at Luna. "Okay, no need to hurry though." Then she hung up and their order arrived.

"Woah, so good," Krystal said as she took a sip of her coffee. Luna thought so too but still acts like she's not in the mood. Krystal ended eating the cake since she refused it. "All those shopping made me tired, I'll just powder my nose a bit and you wait here. Onew oppa will be here soon." Not waiting for Luna's answer she hurried to the restroom. There were no other customers and Luna was left sitting there alone while she waited for Krystal. Then two ladies came in and headed to the restroom instead of the counter. When they came out Krystal was with them.

"Just wait here," Krystal said to her before leaving the cafe. Luna knew that she's in trouble, she didn't want to help Krystal but she didn't want her to get into another mess and cause another scandal. That would not be good for their parents and not for Onew. After telling the cashier that she'd just come back for the grocery Luna hurried after Krystal. She found them in an alley two blocks from the cafe. 

"Leave my husband alone!" Luna heard one of the ladies say.

"I already did! He's a loser anyway." Then the said lady hit Krystal with her handbag, Krystal did not even flinch she also raised her hand and struck the lady.

"Stop it!" Luna yelled. All three turned to her.

"Who's this?"

"It's that woman her brother married." Luna felt anger rise up when she was called 'it' and she took big steps to stand between the two girls and Krystal.

"Look at this, another protector for the perfect little b*tch Krystal. When will you stop hiding behind your family whenever you're in trouble?" The lady who is Suho's wife glared at Luna. "You do know what she is right? She reached for Krystal but Luna blocked her. "She's a , she ruined my family and stole my husband!" 

"I couldn't have snatched Suho if he really loves you. You're pathetic."

"Bwoh!!!" Then the two of them lunged at each other throwing Luna out of their way. When Luna got up Krystal won the fight and Suho's wife is on the ground with a bruised left cheek and a cut on her lip.

"Krystal!" It was Suho. Luna saw the anger in his eyes even before he got to where they are. He helped his wife up and gave her a handkerchief to wipe the blood off her face. "How dare you hit my wife!"

"She started it, she deserves it. Take your wife home and the next time she attacks me she'd get worse than what she got today." 

Suho raised his hand to strike Krystal. Luna knew just like earlier that Krystal would not even avoid the attack so like the idiot that she is she ran towards Krystal, pushed her out of the way and got hit straight on her face. It felt like Suho broke her nose and just as she thought warm red blood dripped from her nose.

"Oppa!" his wife exclaimed.

"Stupid girl," Suho said and moved to Krystal but his wife pulled him away. 

"Let's just go, we might attract the public." The two of them together with the other lady left them at last. Luna looked at Krystal and the latter did the same. She also got scratches on her face though it didn't look deep. Their eyes met again and somehow this made them laugh. 

"You're a mess," Luna said.

"You look worse." Krystal helped her up while Luna tried to stop the bleeding. 

"." Luna felt the pain on her ankle.

"What is it?"

"Nothing, I tripped earlier when the two of you were trying to kill each other. I can walk, it just hurts."

"Don't put too much pressure on it. Why don't you just wait here and I'll see if Onew oppa is..." Krystal did not get to finish the sentence. Onew was already a few from them with Key. He did not look happy, after telling Key to get the car he walked towards them and tried to carry Luna but she refused.

"I can walk." But Onew did not listen and easily picked her up. She could not help but lean onto him and put her arms around his neck. 

"Don't even think of leaving, follow us and we'll talk when we get home," Onew calmly said to his sister but Luna could feel the anger from him. 

"Onew it's not-."

"Let's not talk here," Onew cut her off. "Krystal hurry up!" 

-

 

When they got home Onew sat them beside each other while he got the medicine kit. 

"Oppa are you sure the medicines in there are not expired? That clearly looks like it has not been used at all." Onew did not reply and instead tossed the medicine kit to her. She watched as her brother carefully cleaned Luna's face. She rolled her eyes and met Key's smirk. Silence followed for a few minutes but Luna yelped when Onew tried to grab her foot.

"Relax, I have to check it." Luna nods as he examined her foot. "It's not broken but you need to rest this foot for a few days." 

"Okay," Luna answered. Onew turned to his sister with a dismayed look on his face.

"I didn't start it, they were the ones who went there and pulled me out of the coffee shop," Krystal defense came even before Onew opened his mouth to speak. "I told your wife not to follow us but she's clearly stubborn so that's what she got."

"Lucky for you I was there, or you could have died."

"Oh please, they were no match me. I was just warming up."

"You let her slap and you didn't even dodge when they kept on hitting you."

"Because their hits did not hurt at all. I'm not as fragile as you."

Before Luna could respond Key cleared his throat. "Krystal, you do know that you're still not allowed to be seen in public right?" He spoke slowly as if speaking to a little child. "Your mother called me when you did not answer your phone. What do you think she'll say when she sees your face right now?" And just like that Key and Krystal started arguing like a married couple. Onew helped her up so she could properly rest in their bedroom. He insisted on carrying her so Luna let him, it's not that far since their apartment is small.

"I'll make lunch," Onew said. 

"You will?" 

"You sound so surprised." Onew smiled at her. "Just rest here and I'll come back to bring food. I'll also have to deal with Krystal." He turned to leave but Luna called him.

"She really didn't start it you know. Suho also came and he saw them fighting. He was angry at Krystal for hurting his wife so he wanted to hit her but-."

"But you took the hit intended for her."

"Your sister was quite mad for not even dodging their attacks. She's clearly hurt, go easy on her." Luna did not know why she said that but Onew nodded his head in agreement and left her alone.

-

 

It's funny how she and Krystal got close because of that incident. They're still not the best of friends but at least they no longer want to kill each other. Krystal wanted to go shopping with Luna for her mother's party and Luna can't say no because she clearly does not have any dress that would be good for the party. 

"Hurry up slowpoke. We have a lot of shops to visit today." Krystal seemed to be in good spirit today. They started early, going for a quick breakfast at a nearby cafe. Onew left early for an out of town business trip with Key and would be gone for three days. Luna was feeling down because she'd be alone but was glad Krystal came. "I wish I have my car back." A lot of things were taken from Krystal including her cards and was given a modest allowance but for this shopping, her father gave her back one card and she's all excited to buy a nice dress.

They went into the first boutique and Krystal readily got into fitting dresses. Luna opted to look around not really into shopping that much. 

"How do I look?" Krystal came out wearing a long silver dress which really showed her good figure. 

"You look good," Luna said. 

"Okay, this dress is not it. Hey, try this on!" She took a dress and handed it to Luna.

"I don't think that is-" she cuts Luna off and pushed her to the dressing room. She put it on while Krystal talks non-stop outside telling her to lighten up and try on some more dresses. When she came out she could tell that Krystal likes the dress.

"Wow! You look different. I mean, no offense but your wardrobe needs a makeover."

"None taken. But do you think this is not a little-"

"y? No of course not. My brother will be back on my mom's birthday and he'd be in for a surprise. We won't even let him see this dress. You can try other dress if you want. But I think this one's for you." Luna did try other dresses but after a few ones, she decided that the first dress is really it.

"Come, let's go for shoes and a new purse! Of course lingerie too!" Krystal dragged her from one shop to another. It took them all day before they finished and Krystal was still not done. She wanted to get Luna a makeover. 

"I don't want to. The dress is enough. I don't need a haircut or color my hair."

"But it's so dull and, you know, it's ugly." Krystal was waiting for a violent reaction but Luna seems used to her. "Come on it'd be fun." Luna had to admit that she is having fun doing this with Krystal. She never really had someone to do things with. "Come on Lu, just this once."

"Stop calling me Lu."

"Okay, no color but let's just style your hair a bit." Luna was dragged to a famous salon. She knew the place but was never a customer. It seems like everyone knew Krystal and they were immediately taken cared of. "Do something different this time. Try something you haven't tried before."

Luna looked around and everyone was waiting for her to say something. "Uhm, cut it short." She saw the delight on their faces so she added, "Keep it black." And so they spent more hours in the salon for treatment and Krystal asked for them to do Luna's nails too but Luna outright refused. She never liked the smell. 

Her hair was cut short and she felt like some weight was taken off of her. 

"Wow, you look younger," Krystal said for the nth time. "Oppa would be surprised. He'd love it."

"I think you're exaggerating. Onew would not even notice anything." Krystal grinned but did not respond to that. She chose a restaurant so they could have dinner and then they'd go home at last. 

"I got it," Krystal said and gave her card. Luna was glad, the money she has is not really something a rick kid who likes to shop would have. She sitll refused to use the card Onew gave.

Luna got home and was so exhausted that after a quick shower she had fallen asleep but Onew is not here so after just a few hours of sleep the nightmares came. It started with a gunshot but this time it's not Jiyoung. Onew holds a gun and he shot her. Luna screamed in her dream before the gun was fired and she woke up gasping for breath. She looked around and grabbed her phone it's only 2 in the morning. She cried as she hugged her self willing for her body to stop trembling. Her phone rings and it was Onew calling. She hastily picked it up.

"Onew," she said his name right away as if saying it would have him materialize in front of her.

"Hey, bad dream?" Luna nods her head but remembered that Onew can't see her so she talked. "Sorry, I can't be there."

"Me too."

"Want to talk about it?"

"No. Not really."

"What can I do to make you feel better? Or at least try to get you to sleep, it's only 2:00 AM."

"Just talk, I like your voice." She heard him chuckle and she sniffed as tears start to fall again.

"Do you want me to uh, sing for you?" Luna did not reply afraid that he'd know she's crying. After a few seconds of silence, she heard Onew sing from the other line.

"You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied
You claim it's not in the cards
Fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me
But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'd be the one I was meant to find
It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one can say what we get to be
So why don't we rewrite the stars?
Maybe the world could be ours
Tonight"

When he finished singing Luna bursts into more tears. 

"Hey, what's wrong? I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you. Was my voice so bad?"

"No, it's not that." It's hard talking while crying and Onew may not understand her. "It's beautiful, your voice is beautiful."

"Okay, don't cry anymore. That was meant to calm you. To make you fall asleep." 

"I'm good."

"Are you sure?"

No. Luna wanted to tell him she's not okay without him. And she may never really make it without him. But she was afraid to admit anything, especially what she feels right now.

"Luna, still there?"

"Yeah, thank you." Another tear fell. "I can sleep now,"

"Okay. I'll be back soon. Take care. Bye."

Luna hung up the phone first not trusting herself to keep him on the phone even just to hear him breathe. This feeling is not right, it could never be. She was the enemy. She can't trust him completely and even though it seems like Onew is nicer to her it is just too good to be true. But her heart tells her to try. Give it a shot. Trust him and see what happens. But what if it's all just a lie?

Luna grabbed Onew's pillow and hugged it tightly. Closing her eyes as more tears flow. Her dreams might just come true. Once Onew knows the truth, he might want to kill her. She can't let herself fall. Falling means another prison. Another hell for her and for him.

 

 

 

-

 

 

AN: So I didn't really know that this chapter would end this way. And yes I love The Greatest Showman. Thank you for waiting and thanks to everyone who kindly leaves a comment for each chapter. BTW donghae1996 I read your post/message and I got pressured into updating so if this chapter is not to anyone's liking LOL blame donghae1996 haha kidding. Love you all. Be kind and love a lot.