Chapter VI

Till Death Do Us Part

Onew and Key ended up cleaning the mess in the kitchen while I go freshen up myself. Krystal tried to follow me into the room but her mother stopped her. 

"They're sharing just one room!" I heard her say before the door was closed behind me. Does she think I will murder her brother in his sleep? I took my time tidying up but I can't stay inside the room forever. Onew knocked before he entered and saw me coming my hair. He didn't say anything and so did I. When I got out of the room, tea is being served by Key. He still looks funny and I found myself trying not to laugh. 

"Sorry for not telling you that we'd come and visit today. Krystal was just really missing her brother," my mother-in-law said as if Krystal was 5 years old. I took the seat opposite Onew's parents. Key left us and went back to the kitchen but it's a small house so he could still hear us.

"We don't have much so we could not offer you anything but tea." I reach for cup and took a sip. Krystal was just staring at me with a poker face. My new father-in-law was the next to talk.

"How is the apartment? It is rather small from what you are used to right?"

I shook my head. "Not really, when I was abroad my apartment was even smaller than this," I found myself saying something about my life outside of the country. I was told not to say anything about that. 

"Really? What were you doing abroad? You were gone for a while." Krystal talked this time still staring at me. It's creepy because I think she doesn't blink.

"Not much, it's boring. Not worth the time to talk about. I think your activities abroad are much more interesting." Krystal's face broke into a frown. Does she think I don't know about her affair with the married man?

"The reason we're here is because of the living arrangements." My mother-in-law spoke again. "This apartment is really small for the two of you and I think, we think, that it'd be best if you just move in with us." I thought for a moment, if I move in with them there'd be more space and I don't have to see them all the time. If we stay here, Onew and I would always see each other and not to mention Key would always come and visit and maybe stay.

"Is that really okay?" The three of them nodded. If we all stay together in one house I won't have to see Onew all the time. I can sleep in a different room too. "Well if it's really okay then - "

"No." Onew came out of the room looking fresh again. "Mom we talked about this already. Luna and I will stay here and that's final."

"But son, people will talk. I mean your apartment is good but - "

"Father I thought everything was clear before the wedding happened?" 

"Your mother only wants what's best for you."

"Oppa I think it'd be great for Luna to stay with us. We can hang out when you're busy with work."

"I already told you what I think about this. We will stay here and that's final." His parents had a resigned look on their faces but Krystal just wont' give up.

"Do you really want to live alone with a murderer?" My mind went blank for a second. So this is all about me being dangerous. 

"Krystal!" 

"She said it to my face! She said she murdered her brother. She's crazy!" 

"Stop it!" Onew shouted and everyone of us flinched even his father. I think they seldom or never heard him shout like this. He was so angry that his face turned red. "I think it's time for you to leave. Luna needs to rest."

Krystal blinked and a few tears fell. "Don't do this to yourself oppa." Onew did not even look at her. 

"I don't appreciate suprise visits like this. In the future if you all want to visit us please let us know in advance." Onew said with finality and his parents stood up to leave.

"We're sorry if we disturbed you," his father said. "We'll get going then." I stood up and bowed to his parents. "Let's go Krystal" She glared at me and stomped like a kid. Onew did not even turn around to see them leave.

"Luna," Krystal called me by the door, she wore that fake smile again. "I never really got to give you a wedding present." Her parents are now a few steps ahead and I'm sure they could not hear us anymore. Onew chose to go and locked himself in the room. Key was just watching us siliently. I went towards her preparing myself to receive whatever gift she has. Maybe it's jewelry, she didn't bring anything except for her purse. Or maybe cash? What is she up to? 

"You don't really have to give us or me anything." I said. Somehow I felt sorry for her. I know her brother's words hurt. I think Onew never really got angry with her or rejected her.

"Oh but I've been wanting to do this on your wedding day just didn't have the chance." I nodded and saw that her face turned a bit brighter. 

"So where's the gift?" I knew what was coming the moment she raised her hand but I never thought she would do it. A big fat slap on my face.

"That's for bringing bad luck to my family. And this!" Another slap on the same cheek. "That's for making my brother's life miserable!" Then like the dramatic princess that she is, she turned and left me there. It hurt, but I am used to pain. What bothered me is that Key saw all this and probably enjoyed himself.

"What happened?" Onew came out of the room and saw me standing there now holding my left cheek. 

"Nothing." I said but Key also opened his mouth.

"Your sister slapped her twice, real hard." Key said and like nothing happened he gathered the cups and began rinsing them. I didn't dare meet Onew's eyes. I closed the door and went to the only room in this damn apartment. 

"Kibum, why don't you go home too?" I heard Onew say. Krystal will pay for this. A moment later Onew came in with an ice pack. "Sorry about Krystal." I still did not look at him. I didn't want to see his face. "Here let me see that." He removed my hand and turned my face towards him. I knew it looks bad, it stings like hell. She looks thin and all but she hits like a boxer. "She's a bit crazy and a little bit of a brat. She's used to getting everything she wants and when she doesn't she turns into a tiny monster." He continued talking while lightly pressing the ice pack on my face. I wanted to tell him his sister is not a tiny monster but THE MONSTER.

"Key just left, He won't be here tomorrow." I should be getting annoyed because he keeps on talking when I don't want to listen but I found my self listening to everything, even when he just breathes. "Sorry about my parents too, we already talked about this but my mom didn't really like the idea of us living in this apartment." 

I wanted to add that her mom didn't like the idea of her son living with me.

"Krystal hates being second to anyone. She likes to be the center of everything. And she doesn't like to share." I don't even know why he's saying all these.

"Stop it." I finally said.

I felt him smile. I still didn't look at him but I know he smiled. He lifted my chin and I finally had to look at him straight into the eye. "Why did you come back?" His question confused me. "You've been living out of the country for years and never came back, not even for your sisters weddings." He brushed some stray hair away from my face, this action somehow made me flinch. See I could deal with pain, I'm used to getting hurt or hit. But kindness is something I'm not accustomed to.

"I was never asked to come back and they did not invite me to their wedding," I found my self being honest. I thought it was okay, that I was okay not being invited to their wedding but it hurt. Onew looked at me with understanding, he touched my bruised face and to my surprise placed a soft kiss on it. 

"To lessen the pain, I always do that whenever Krystal is hurt." He said like giving me a kiss on the cheek is the most normal thing to do. "I'll get you some milk, it always helps Krystal to fall asleep." Somehow, even though I hate hearing his sister's name right now, I feel good that Onew talks to me like this. He came back with a glass of warm milk. The last time someone gave me a glass of milk was when I was a kid and my old nursemaid was still alive. He didn't say much after and I did't talk. I could still feel his lips on my cheek and my face goes warm. The next time he came back I was already lying on my back with my eyes tightly shut. He sat on the bed and adjusted his pillows before I felt him lie donw beside me. I could hear my heartbeat beating as I listen to Onew breathe. This feeling is so new to me that I don't even know how to call it but I found myself liking it. I turned my back on him and waited for sleep to consume me. My face hurts but somehow I was glad it did.

 

-

 

I woke up alone in bed which should be normal but did not feel like it. Onew's side is still a bit warm to touch. I heard noise coming outside so I stood up and tidied myself. My face still looks a bit swollen and the bruise is obvious. It doesn't sting that much though, I tried to smile and it was less painful. 

"Just in time for breakfast." Onew greeted me, he laid the plates on the table with bacon and eggs and some toasts. "I didn't make coffee though, I was hoping you'd wake up and make it?" I didn't answer him and just made coffee. A few minutes later we were eating our breakfast quietly. I was glad Key is not here and we can eat in peace. I could still remember the mess we made last night.

"I will be out the whole day and may not be back soon." I don't really know why he is saying this and I don't care what he does but I found my self listening. "You can do whatever you want of course." He continued and took the last bite from his plate and finished his coffee then he took something from his wallet. "Here."

I stopped eating. "What's that?"

"Use it whenever you want."

"I don't need that." 

"Just keep it. In case you need it." It was a credit card. "I know you may have money but - "

"I said I don't need it!" I raised my voice and saw his face turn into surprise but he smiled and took the card back. He stood up and took the dishes. I wanted to tell him I'd wash the dishes but refrained. I left Onew in the kitchen and went inside the room. What will I do today? I decided to take a shower first and think of that later.

"Luna I'm leaving." I heard him say outside the bathroom door. I didn't answer and he did not wait for my reply. I soaked in the tub for a few more minutes. Should I stay home or go out? I looked at my phone for the time, for some reason Onew does not have a clock in his room. I have no messages and I did not expect any. I decided to explore the building or the near by shops maybe I'd see something interesting. I had a baseball cap on but forgot to wear my sunglasses but the weather is a bit cloudy so it's okay. I stopped for coffee and bought a sandwich for lunch. the streets are busy and a lot of people are walking with someone and I was the only one alone. 

I had no friends. a family that doesn't want me, a husband that wants to get rid of me and my face looks like hell. 

"Do I know you?" A very female voice said from behind. I was already walking back home when she spotted me. "Oh my god! You're Onew's wife!" I know this girl, she's still annoying. "I'm Tiffany and you're Luna," she said and took off my cap.

"Hey give that back!" But she threw it on the road. "What are you -"

"Oh my god, he hit you!" Then I suddenly remember my bruised face. I touched my face while Tifanny fumbled for her phone and I didn't even know she was already taking pictures. "Just a few days after the wedding and he already cracked!" She looks happy while saying this and I wanted to pull out her hair. 

"It's not what you think." I found my self saying. "Onew didn't -"

"Of course he didn't, did he?" She winked at me. "I didn't knew Onew could be this violent though - "

"I said he didn't do it!" I shouted at her and the crowd around us stopped to look at us I lowered my head and the crowd continued with their business. "He didn't hit me."

"This is gonna be the biggest news ever after Onew's sudden marriage of course. Oohh what a juicy article this would make!" I grabbed her hand and tried to take her phone but she was fast and pushed me off. "Bye!" She ran away to a waiting car just a few feet from where we stood. So much for a quiet afternoon. I didn't want to go home yet so I decided to go to that one place I swore I'd never visit. 

-

"Where have you been?" Key's voice greeted me when I entered the apartment. I saw Onew sitting on the couch watching tv. I didn't answer Key and turned to the screen instead. 

"She didn't!" I gasped. Both guys looked at me puzzled. "That girl Tifanny she -"

"Did you plan this?" Key asked and Onew is still quietly watching the news. "Now everyone's talking about you! Did you know how many calls I had to deal with because you got caught walking around like an abused wife?"

"Kibum stop it." Onew said at last and turned off the tv. "It's not her fault."

"She's using this to ruin you."

"We just need to figure something out to solve this and blaming her is not helping." I don't know why Onew is helping me out, sure I didn't plan this but he could use this to get angry at me but instead he's arguing with Key. "Did you have dinner?" He asked me and I shook my head without meaning to. He smiled and stood up. "I bought dinner, well some take out from the Chinese restaurant a block from here." We followed Onew to the kitchen and I could feel Key's fury from behind me. "Why don't you sit down and we can start eating?" All three of us sat down just like the night before.

"Your father called four times since that news broke out." Key said to me. "Don't you have a phone or something?" I took my phone from my pocket and saw ten messages. 2 missed calls from my father and a dozen more form unknown numbers. "Well...?"

"I didn't know. My phone's in silent mode. Always in silent mode." Key shoved the food to his mouth and did not speak until he swallowed them. 

"Tifanny is the biggest gossip in the whole universe and you just had to show your face to her. Why did you even go out in the first place? You don't have friends, you don't have work. You're not into any charity works or social clubs. Your family doesn't want you so why are you -"

"Enough Kibum!" Onew shuts him "That's enough." Key closed his mouth but still glared at me. Onew gave me another glass of water. I didn't know I was so thirsty.

"I wanted to see Jiyoung."

I felt both men go stiff when I said this. 

"I visited his grave. I was forbidden to go to his grave and I never once saw him in the funeral. I never got to say goodbye." 

Onew cleared his throat before saying "I'm sorry to hear that." Nothing was said until dinner was done. Onew asked me to go to the room first to change or take a shower. Clearly an excuse to get me out of their way so they could talk. I stayed in the bathroom long before I finished my shower. I could no longer hear any noise from outside the bedroom and when I went out Onew and Key were gone and a note was left on the coffee table. 'Won't stay here tonight. - Onew"

I should be glad to be alone at last but I found myself wishing otherwise. I decided to read my self to sleep. Onew's apartment maybe small but he had a lot of books scattered here and there. The book I got was a gift form Seohyun, it was signed with love from her and a picture of her was included which Onew used as a bookmark. I turned the pages not really understanding what I was reading. I found myself wondering where Onew is and what he is doing. I threw the book on the coffee table and decided to just get to bed. Lying in bed I remembered to read the messages on my phone. 

The first two messages were from my father. Asking where I was and what happened. The next messages were from Key. His number isn't saved but he said his name in the message. And then the rest were from Onew. It's funny how I don't even have his number saved in my phone.

'Luna where did you go? This is Onew. Call me when you get this message.'

'Are you okay? Call me please'

'Tell me where you are and I'll get you.'

'I'm already home, please come home.'

Those are some of the messages I got from Onew, he did call like twelve times but of course I never check my phone. I often forget I have one. No one really sends me a message and I don't have someone to talk to. I saved Onew's number in my phone and even though I don't like him I also saved Key's number. I read Onew's messages again and again and wished that he was sincere but I know whatever he's doing and what he will do in the future will only be for his sake and once he gets what he wants he'd probably have me killed or Key would do it.

I lie down feeling suddenly cold.

 

-

 

Comments would be appreciated ^^