Paradise (Epilogue)

Boys Over Flowers: Reloaded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don Juan and his Donna

Honesty was his strength… but his life was not so honest afterall…

Dreams were all she had… to be shattered when she least expected…

Jae Kyung stared out of the window at the dark sky. It was not long before dawn would break out. The room felt a bit chilly, but Woo Bin’s strong and muscular hand wrapped around her torso provided her enough warmth to feel cozy. He snored lightly at her neck, and his chest moved up and down in a slow rhythm against her back. It was perhaps the most restful night in a long time for her, despite the not-so-gentle love making sessions in the past hours. His warm embrace felt like home; a home she had always missed in her life. And feared she would lose it, yet again.

Maybe it was time she made her decision for her future, their future.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Jae Kyung woke up in the morning and headed to the kitchen. The house was very silent with rest of the inhabitants still in their deep sleep. She made herself coffee and walked leisurely to the couch in the living area with her mug. She sat comfortably on the couch, covered her legs with a wooly throw and sipped in her warm coffee. She was so lost in the view outside the huge glass windows that she did not even realize when Woo Bin stepped closer to her.

“Hey, when did you wake up? You look lovely,” spoke Woo Bin as he pulled Jae Kyung for a light hug and kissed her cheek.

“Not long. Want some coffee?” she asked.

He shook his head lightly.

“I am fine.”

He came around the couch and snuggled up against her, resting his head on her shoulder.

They stayed silent for some moments before Jae Kyung turned to face Woo Bin, making him raise his head and look at her.

“Woo Bin, we need to talk,” she spoke.

Sensing a slight discomfort in her, he took her hands and gave her his full attention.

“Yes, tell me. What do you want to talk about?”

She took a deep breath and steadied her voice.

“I think we need more time to think before jumping into something we both may regret in the future.”

Woo Bin’s eyes grew bigger in shock, then narrowed with a slight frown in the forehead.

When Jae Kyung hesitated to continue, he spoke, “Please go ahead. I am listening.”

“Please don’t get me wrong, Woo Bin…”

“I won’t get you wrong. Tell me what you have in mind. I am all ears,” he assured.

“I think we are just rushing in. Just few days back you were in love with Ga Eul, then things did not work out. And when you found about my feelings, you thought you were ready to take this ahead,” said Jae Kyung. “I don’t want to be your rebound, Woo Bin. Nor do I want you to feel obligated to love me.”

Her words stung him, as she could see from the subtle distortion in his expression.

“Jae Kyung, you are not…”

She interrupted him with a trembling voice, “And I cannot forget the bloodbath and mayhem that happened in these past few days. I need some time, please. This is not something I am accustomed to. What if someone again comes to seek revenge, will you have to kill him as well? I can’t, I don’t think I can take it again.”

Woo Bin stayed silent. Any word of hope or consolation at that moment would be futile, an utter lie. Although the morning after Christmas was calm inside the safehouse, the world outside was still burning. There was a lot out there that he had to mend and build from scratch. He would have to do it, even if it meant doing it all alone.

After a long pause, he straightened his back and faced her squarely.

“I think you are right. I was just being a selfish prick. You went through a lot of hell because of me. I have no right to play with your emotions whenever I please to. Please forgive me, if you ever can,” he spoke.

“I am sorry, Woo Bin,” mumbled Jae Kyung as tears started flowing continuously from her eyes.

“Hey, why are you saying sorry? I should be the one sorry here,” said Woo Bin, and pulling her closer he placed a kiss on her forehead.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Ji Hoo opened his eyes to an angelic face in deep sleep. There was a slight frown on Ha Jin’s forehead, and her lips were in a cute pout.

“Dreaming of me?” he whispered and pecked on her pouty lips.

She did not show any sign of waking up. He looked around for a glass of water as his throat was parched. Not finding any, he decided to get up, without waking his sleeping beauty.

Ji Hoo was strolling through the living area on his way to the kitchen when he spotted Woo Bin out in the open balcony, smoking a cigarette. He looked worried and exhausted. Ji Hoo changed his course and walked towards the balcony, opening the glass door to a chilly gust of wind.

“Whoa, how are you standing here in that thin pajama and not getting frozen to a popsicle already?” asked Ji Hoo.

Woo Bin took a deep puff of his cigarette and blew the smoke away from his friend.

“Are you alright, Woo Bin?”

“I guess I am.”

Ji Hoo was freezing to his bones, but sensing something hugely amiss in his friend he did not feel like ignoring him.

“What’s bothering you? Can I help in anyway?” asked Ji Hoo.

“Don’t think so,” said Woo Bin with a wry smile. “It is hard to make a man out of a monster.”

Ji Hoo narrowed his eyes, scrutinizing his friend.

“Jae Kyung thinks I am a monster. She cannot relate the man she had fallen in love with me anymore,” spoke Woo Bin, lighting a second cigarette.

“Do you love her?”

Woo Bin did not reply and blew the smoke out, creating a thick plume in the cold air.

“Do you still have feelings for Ga Eul?” asked Ji Hoo.

“Jae Kyung thinks this is rebound. And that I am feeling obligated to love her after knowing about her feelings for me.”

“What do you think?”

Woo Bin flicked the cigarette away and sighed deeply.

“I guess Jae Kyung is right. We both need time to reflect. But I know my feelings for her are not just rebound,” he conceded.

“Don’t worry. She will come back to you. Just give her some space. Meanwhile, gather all the broken pieces and rebuild your world,” replied Ji Hoo in a matter-of-fact way.

Woo Bin smiled and nodded his head in agreement.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

After all of them left the safehouse in the new year, and the legalities involving the warehouse encounters were taken care of, Jae Kyung left for Paris to pursue her career in fashion photography.

Woo Bin was left with the ruins of the Song family’s empire. But that could not crush him in failure, rather it stoked the fire in him to rise from the ashes with his head held high.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The Musician and the Runaway Bride

Patience was all he had shown while letting go every time… and now he was just tired of waiting anymore…

Obedience was everything she knew all her life… but the rebel in her was not dead completely…

Ji Hoo did not waste any time, after they left the safehouse on New Year’s Day, in addressing the most pressing issue in his and Ha Jin’s life at that moment.

Ha Jin rubbed her palms vigorously as Ji Hoo’s car entered the driveway of her parent’s house. Inside the car it was warm enough, but her fretted nerves made her fidget uncontrollably. Switching the engine off, Ji Hoo placed his hand on hers.

“I am scared, Ji Hoo. My parents will humiliate you again. They will never accept us together. Are you sure you want to do this?” asked Ha Jin.

“Yes, Ha Jin. I lost my parents when I was just four. If they were alive today, they would be so happy to have you as their daughter-in-law. I want your parents to be equally delighted to see their daughter happily married,” replied Ji Hoo.

Ha Jin followed him to the door with hesitant steps. She held onto his arm tightly. Ji Hoo kissed her trembling lips and gave her an assuring smile.

When they pressed the bell, Ha Jin’s father opened the door and seeing them at the doorstep his already solemn face grew a deep scowl.

“Anyonghaseyo, Mr. Go. May we come in?” asked Ji Hoo with a polite bow.

Ha Jin hid behind Ji Hoo, seeing her father’s distrustful expression.

“Who is it?” Mrs. Go came asking at the door.

Seeing them she froze. Ha Jin’s father moved to the side leaving the door open, indicating them to step in.

Ji Hoo gave a sideways glance to Ha Jin, assuring her in silence.

As they entered the living area, it was time for them to freeze in their step.

So Bin and his parents stared back at them, at first with shock then with contempt. They stood up leaving the couch and So Bin stepped closer to the arriving couple.

“What the…? Ha Jin, stop hiding behind this scoundrel and explain to me all your debauchery,” barked So Bin.

Ji Hoo pulled a trembling Ha Jin by his side and placed his arm firmly around her shoulders.

“We have come here to speak to Mr. and Mrs. Go. Now if you would please excuse us,” he said.

So Bin got even more incensed seeing Ji Hoo’s nonchalance. He closed in on Ha Jin and pulled her arm with a jerk, making her yelp in pain.

“How dare you…” scorned So Bin when a punch landed on the side of his face, throwing him off balance on the floor. Both his and Ha Jin’s parents gasped out loudly.

“Don’t ever dare lay a finger on Ha Jin or raise your voice on her again,” spoke Ji Hoo in a steely voice.

“Did you see that? How this rich brat misbehaved with my son?” yelled So Bin’s father at Ha Jin’s parents who were too shocked to respond.

So Bin stood up rubbing the side of his face, which was turning red.

“She is my fiancée. She belongs to me. I don’t need your permission for anything,” protested So Bin.

“Ha Jin is not a material possession who you can place a tag on. Now that we all are here, let’s hear her decision,” retorted Ji Hoo and turned to her parents. “I would request you to listen to your daughter for once, and then come to any conclusion.”

So Bin and his parents were about to protest yet again when Mr. Go raised his hand, stopping them.

“This situation has gone out of hand long ago. Ha Jin has embarrassed us in the society by her outrageous escapades. This is not how we had raised our daughter. This is not what we had expected of her,” he spoke in a grave tone. “We were blinded by rage, and we still are trying to cope with it all. But now that you have come here to justify your actions, say what you want to say.”

Ha Jin suddenly found herself in the middle, with six pairs of eyes staring at her, either with hope, disbelief or sheer contempt. The little Ha Jin inside her that used to fear disappointing her parents crept up in her mind, prompting her to flee the scene and hide within the four walls of her room. But then one look at Ji Hoo’s warm gaze reminded her of his respect, friendship and love that had defined her own identity. In a flash all insecurities, fear and hesitation vanished from her heart, and what was left behind was conviction.

Ha Jin looked at her parents, and after taking a moment to calm her nerves, she began, “I do not think I will be happy with So Bin, ever. It will be a failed marriage from the very beginning. His mentality, his aspirations and his expectations from me are very different and I will never be able to compromise to that extent. Please don’t force me to marry him. Even the thought of being with him traumatizes me. Ji Hoo helped me all along to rebuild my confidence and self-esteem. If you have any doubt about his intentions, take your time to know him well. But I am sorry, Abeoji and Omma, please don’t force So Bin on me.”

Both her parents stared back at her with somber expression. Her mother’s eyes were b with tears, but she chose not to speak.

“Is it because this guy is the grandson of our ex-President and owner of huge wealth, you are accepting her ridiculous excuse to snub my son?” retorted So Bin’s mother.

“That and the fact that your son has already proved what Ha Jin told us right now by trying to harass and assault her in our presence. We are disappointed with her. And if anyone has the right to chastise her, it is we, her parents, not So Bin,” stated Mr. Go.

Ji Hoo held Ha Jin’s sweaty palms in his hands and squeezed them lightly.

“I think you should leave now, and not let this go on further,” spoke Mrs. Go to the Hong family.

So Bin and his parents glared at everyone with disdain.

“I will make sure our whole social circle gets to know how promiscuous your daughter is, sleeping around with men while being betrothed to my son,” spat Mrs. Hong.

Pointing his finger at them Ji Hoo roared, “Don’t you dare say anything nasty about Ha Jin or her family to anyone, I am warning you. Else, as you already know that I am the grandson of ex-President of this country, I have enough connections to make a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter