Chapter 5: Breakdown

Boys Over Flowers: Reloaded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi dear friends, hope you all are enjoying reading the story. Please, please write down few comments so that I can understand how it is. Thank you :-)

 

Jae Kyung looked out at the open sea from the motor boat. Sounds of laughter came from her back, as Woo Bin shared funny stories of their childhood. Jun Pyo vehemently protested every time his stories were shared in a “distorted” manner, according to him. Jae Kyung looked at Ga Eul. She seemed genuinely happy. Everyone, especially Woo Bin had paid extra attention to make her feel comfortable and happy all day. It was quite rare to see Ga Eul smile so bright. It was difficult for her to trust strangers, and even more difficult to be happy for herself.

“I do not deserve to be happy, Jae Kyung. My sins do not permit me to be happy in this life!”

As the boat reached the pier, they climbed up the stairs. Ga Eul missed a step, and before anyone else, it was Woo Bin who stopped her from falling. Jae Kyung was just behind them, and that momentary incident made her think of the obvious, Ga Eul needs someone like Woo Bin in her life to smile again, and live again.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

At sundown, everyone gathered at the seaside restaurant. It was the last evening in the island, so they just wanted to have a relaxing time with a nice dinner. A big table was set with several delicious dishes and wine. And the place was lit with candles only.

Ga Eul and Jae Kyung held Ha Jin from both sides and helped her take her seat. Ga Eul was about to sit as well when Ji approached her.

“Could I have a minute with you, please?”

Ga Eul was astonished, but nevertheless, followed him to the back of the restaurant. Ha Jin, who was sitting beside her looked at Ji Hoo. But he did not spare her even a glance before walking away with Ga Eul. She felt a pang in her heart, but looked away immediately to brush off that weird feeling.

“What is it Ji Hoo?” asked Ga Eul.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and faced her.

“My friend did some grave mistake last night. He is ashamed of his behavior to you. He did not want to create another scene in front of others, so…”

“So, being a coward, as he is, he sent you to apologise on his behalf?” blurted out Ga Eul in exasperation.

“Just give him a chance to speak, that is what I came to tell you,” replied Ji Hoo, then bowed his head a little and walked back to the beach.

Ga Eul kept staring at him going back to others when Yi Jung came and stood at a distance from her.

“Hi Ga Eul.”

Ga Eul froze hearing his voice, but slowly turned back to face him.

“I am sorry for last night, Ga Eul. Although my act is unforgivable, but I am sorry. I did not mean any of the words I spoke. I was not in the right state of mind, if you can believe me.”

Yi Jung held his head low all the while speaking. Ga Eul stared back at him.

“Isn’t it funny that your wrong state of mind hurt me enough to lose my right state of mind?”

“Ga Eul…”

“I have known Jan Di long enough to believe in her words that you are not a bad person. But I don’t think I would want to see your face ever after tonight.”

Yi Jung nodded his head lightly with a sigh. Then he bowed his head murmuring another apology and walked back to his friends.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Woo Bin saw Ji Hoo walking away from the dinner table with Ga Eul and coming back alone after a few moments. He was about to ask him about her when he saw Yi Jung coming from the same direction, followed by Ga Eul. He understood that his friend must have apologised for his behavior, so he smiled at Yi Jung and patted on his back. Ga Eul was about to take the seat beside Ha Jin, when Jae Kyung suddenly pulled her back.

“Ga Eul, I will sit beside Ha Jin. You go over there,” said Jae Kyung and pointed to an empty seat beside Woo Bin.

Ga Eul gave her a puzzled look and moved to the other side of the table to sit beside Woo Bin. Jae Kyung smiled at her contentedly and started talking to Ha Jin. Ji Hoo took the seat opposite to Ha Jin. She was having an animated discussion with Jae Kyung.

“Please pass me the wine,” said Jae Kyung.

Both Ha Jin and Ji Hoo raised their hands together to grab the bottle in front simultaneously and their fingers brushed past each other. Ha Jin pulled back her hand immediately. Their eyes locked for the briefest of moments, and Ha Jin was the first to look away.

“Yo man! I haven’t had this much time to relax in ages,” interjected Woo Bin.

“True. We have become so busy with our lives, that we hardly get together for some fun time these days,” said Jan Di.

“Let’s raise a toast to Jan Di and Jun Pyo’s blissful married life. And coming back here again next year to celebrate together,” spoke Yi Jung and everyone followed suite.

“Cheers!!”

“However, I suppose we will have to meet on the other side of Pacific to celebrate next year,” spoke Jun Pyo after putting down his glass.

“What do you mean?” asked Woo Bin.

“Jan Di and I will be moving to the US later this year. It is getting very difficult for me travelling between Seoul and New York every fortnight. Of course, we will be visiting you guys for vacations,” replied Jun Pyo contentedly.

Ji Hoo’s face hardened on hearing the news. His eyes darted between Jan Di and Jun Pyo.

“What about Jan Di’s internship at the hospital?” asked Ji Hoo.

“She can do that in the US, Ji Hoo. There is no dearth of hospitals there,” replied Jun Pyo mockingly.

“Yo man! That was a big surprise! This means occasions like this will be even scarcer,” commented Wo Bin.

“No Sunbae, we will get together as often as we can,” added Jan Di eagerly.

And with that the group chattered on the different possibilities of their future getaways.

Ji Hoo’s eyes were fixated on Jan Di. Being lit by faint candle lights only, his expression was not glaringly noticeable by others, except for Ha Jin, sitting opposite to him. Was it a stare of disbelief, accusation or despair, she could not fathom. She was not the one to analyse the situation between the two, and this realisation quickly forced her to shift her gaze away from his face. Ji Hoo did not speak for the rest of the dinner.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

After the dinner, spectacular fireworks and music started at the beach. Ha Jin did not join the others, to avoid too much of walking on the sands. Jan Di came and took the seat next to her. Ji Hoo was sitting as well, facing away from the fireworks.

“I feel so bad that your ankle got sprained and it spoilt your holidays,” spoke Jan Di with genuine concern.

“It is ok, I am alright,” replied Ha Jin with a smile.

“So, when is your wedding? You must be super excited about it. I wish we could meet your fiancé as well. What’s his name?” asked Jandi.

“Hong So Bin,” replied Ha Jin.

Her reply came after a short pause, perhaps not even noticed by Jan Di. After the party night, her brain had selectively pushed back her wedding details and So Bin’s existence. It did take a few microseconds for Ha Jin’s brain to relocate herself back to her reality on hearing Jan Di’s question. But somehow, she could not bring herself to explain how ‘excited’ she was about her impending wedding.

“Did you know about this plan to move to US all this while?” asked Ji Hoo suddenly.

Jan Di was a bit taken aback by his sudden query. She smiled at Ha Jin and then turned to face him.

“Jun Pyo had been complaining about his hectic schedules for quite some time. He has been neglecting his health as well. So…”

“How come you never mentioned it to me before?” interrupted Ji Hoo impatiently.

“Sunbae…”

Ha Jin felt very uneasy to be amid this conversation, but her injured ankle did not allow her to leave without being noticed. She fidgeted a bit as the awkward silence dawned among them. Certainly, she was not a part of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter