Chapter 11: Timing..

Boys Over Flowers: Reloaded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

Yi Jung parked his car in front of his brother’s house. It was going to be his first tryst with babysitting. Il Hyun and Seo Hyun had their marriage anniversary, and Yi Jung had offered a beautiful romantic evening getaway to them, while offering himself to look after his nephew Young Jin at their home. Il Hyun had asked him not to take the trouble, as Ga Eul had already offered to babysit that evening; but Yi Jung did not budge. He too wanted to spend quality time with his nephew and develop a stronger uncle-nephew bond over the evening. Il Hyun and Seo Hyun had readily agreed.

Ga Eul let him in as he pressed the doorbell. Young Jin was sitting at the living area, surrounded by his toys all around. On seeing Yi Jung, he crawled to him in excitement. Yi Jung bent down to pick him up and offer him the new toy he had brought for him.

“Wow, Youngie, a new toy for you!” exclaimed Ga Eul as she brought coffee for Yi Jung.

“I wanted to bring more, but hyung asked me not to give him too many toys. Saying he will be too pampered!” complained Yi Jung.

“I think he is right to say that. Kids do not know right from wrong at this age. So, it is better not to over-indulge them. Otherwise they will never learn to appreciate,” replied Ga Eul.

Yi Jung nodded his head and turned his focus back on Young Jin. He sat on the floor with his nephew and started playing with him. The little child was very easily accustomed to his uncle, and soon, he was crawling from one end of the room to the other, making both Ga Eul and his uncle run after him. This was a very new experience for Yi Jung. He had never come across any kids so close in his adulthood, and had never realised how purely blissful it was to be around such bundles of joy.

After about an hour, both Yi Jung and Ga Eul were tired of running after Young Jin, so they crashed on the couch, panting. Young Jin, on the other hand, still had enough energy and enthusiasm to make his babysitters run after him non-stop. He stared at them, calling them out in his own gibberish language, to resume playing.

“Give your uncle some slack, boy! Your uncle cannot run after a mini bullet train like you for hours,” huffed Yi Jung jokingly.

The kid started pouting and making hand gestures, calling them.

“Just don’t look at him for some time. He just wants to get your attention with his super cute antics. Don’t get tricked!” whispered Ga Eul in a conspiring tone.

Yi Jung burst out in laughter. He was not sure which amused him more, Young Jin’s antics or Ga Eul’s advice. This baby business was new to him undoubtedly, but the way Ga Eul handled it seemed pretty interesting and amusing to him.

Following her advice, Yi Jung kept on ignoring Young Jin’s biddings, and pretended that he is busy looking at the walls or the ceiling. The kid waited for few more moments. Suddenly, he pushed himself off the floor and tried standing on his wobbly feet, without holding anything. Then, cautiously he stepped a foot ahead, followed by another one.

“Ommo! Ommo! Youngie is walking!” exclaimed Ga Eul and rushed to the kid.

“Didn’t he walk before?” asked Yi Jung in surprise.

“Not on his own! Oh my god! Seo Hyun unnie should have been here to see this. She will be so upset to have missed Youngie’s first independent footstep,” replied Ga Eul sadly.

Yi Jung took out his phone and started recording the kid’s walk. Suddenly, seeing his babysitters finally being trapped by his bait, Young Jin became more energetic to show off his walking skills. But soon his wobbly feet gave in and he dropped on the floor.

“Good boy, Youngie! Strong baby, Youngie!” cheered Ga Eul and the kid stood up again.

Taking her cue, Yi Jung started cheering up his nephew as well, every time the child fell on the floor. After another half hour, Ga Eul picked him up from the floor.

“You will have your milk now, and then go to bed, okay? Good babies go to bed early, and you are my Youngie the best, aren’t you?” cooed Ga Eul, as the kid started to fuss about not being able to play.

Yi Jung stared at them with fascination. This was by far the most intriguing facet of Ga Eul he had seen over the past few months. Her motherly instincts were so conspicuous that all her harrowing past seemed to be so undeserving for her. He could not take off his eyes as Ga Eul held Young Jin on her lap, and fed him milk from the bottle. No sooner than finishing the milk, the child dozed off in Ga Eul’s lap. She carefully picked him and took him to the crib. Yi Jung followed them silently, and witnessed the way Ga Eul set the child in his crib, making sure he is comfortable in his sleep. She stayed by the crib for several minutes, silently gazing at the sleeping child. Her eyes laden with moisture, she caressed the soft blanket covering Young Jin.

Yi Jung could not move from the doorframe, thus, when Ga Eul suddenly turned to leave, he caught her teary-eyed. She felt all the more embarrassed and rushed past him out of the room. Yi Jung did not follow her immediately. He understood that she needed some space. After loitering around the living area for some time, he walked to the door that opened to the back garden. He found Ga Eul sitting on the steps, looking at the starry night sky.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked Yi Jung softly as he sat on a step above her.

Ga Eul nodded her head. They sat in silence for few more minutes.

“Why do you do this?” asked Yi Jung.

“Do what?” replied Ga Eul puzzled.

“Hurt yourself by reminding the past. If being close to children brings back the memory of your lost child, why do you do this?” asked Yi Jung again.

Ga Eul stared at him dumbfounded for few moments.

“After that night, did you actually think it would be dangerous for your nephew to be with me alone? Is that why you came today to keep an eye on me? To see whether I lose it again or not?” spoke Ga Eul in exasperation.

She stood up in haste and turned to go back in the house when Yi Jung pulled back her arm and she stumbled on him. Yi Jung held her protectively so that she did not fall down. Both could feel their heavy breathing, as their faces were mere inches apart. Ga Eul’s eyes spoke of her despair in the need to justify herself repeatedly, while Yi Jung’s eyes exuded his mistrust in himself that made him sceptical every moment.

“I did not want to accuse you of anything, Ga Eul. I know what insufferable pain you have in your heart and mind. I just wanted to know why you torture yourself by reminding the past,” whispered Yi Jung apologetically.

“Seeing my lost child in the eyes of several other children is not a torture. It is painful, but their innocent smiles give me the strength to believe that perhaps, somewhere he is alive, and happy. It gives me hope, may be a false one. Still, it drives me to go ahead with my life. The day you will have your own child, you will be able to feel it too,” replied Ga Eul with a wavering voice and freed herself from his hold.

Their conversation was halted immediately as the doorbell rang, indicating the arrival of Il Hyun and Seo Hyun.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Woo Bin drove his car in a break-neck speed through the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter