Chapter 10: When today passes..

Boys Over Flowers: Reloaded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ga Eul rested her head at the back of the bed, as she felt completely drained after her long painful recollection, accompanied with incessant flow of tears. Surprisingly, her heart felt a little bit lighter, as all the heavy burdens of her life’s secrets were left open to her friend and the strangers who turned into her saviours. Ha Jin wiped away the last traces of tears from her face, and handed her a bottle of water.

The atmosphere in the room was dense. No one had the heart to utter any word, be of consolation or encouragement. Suddenly Woo Bin’s phone started ringing, breaking through the silence.

“Hello?”

“Woo Bin? This is Jae Kyung. How is Ga Eul?”

“She is…she is ok. Where are you?”

“I am at the Busan airport, boarding on my flight back to Seoul. Please text me Yi Jung’s address. I will be there in a couple of hours.”

“Sure. We are all here, so don’t worry. Have a safe flight.”

Ha Jin stood up from the bed and looked at the tired faces around her.

“I will make some coffee for everyone,” she murmured and went to the kitchen.

“She might have difficulties in finding things in the kitchen,” said Yi Jung after few minutes and stood up to follow her.

“You sit, Yi Jung. I will help her out,” spoke Ji Hoo and walked towards the kitchen.

Woo Bin sat beside Ga Eul and picked up a small ceramic figurine from the bed stand and held it in front of her.

“You know, Ga Eul, this beautiful creation has gone through so much of hardship to become this perfect and durable. It has been burnt to some 500 degree Cel…”

“1300 degree Celsius,” interjected Yi Jung.

Even in her state, a faint smile appeared on Ga Eul’s face.

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever!” said Woo Bin, rolling his eyes.

“I suppose Ga Eul will be able to teach you more on this subject,” added Yi Jung and looked at Ga Eul.

“What? Don’t tell me you are also into this pottery thing!” exclaimed Woo Bin with a dramatic expression.

“I am just a beginner,” replied Ga Eul and looked at her hands on her lap.

“Oh! Then this is the right place for you. Do you want a walking tour through the studio of the greatest potter of our generation?” asked Woo Bin.

Yi Jung looked at him quizzically and before he understood his friend’s plan fully, Woo Bin had already pulled Ga Eul up from the bed.

“Take her to show your clay pots, I will catch a quick nap in the meantime,” suggested Woo Bin and stretched his arm.

Ga Eul looked at Woo Bin with confusion and then turned to Yi Jung. He nodded his head and led her towards his studio.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Ha Jin stood in front of the coffee maker, as the dark brown liquid poured in the carafe. Her mind kept on replaying the agonizing tale of Ga Eul, and every time it harped on her conscience.

What a failure I am in the name of friendship! How could I not feel what my closest friend was going through in her life? How could I even call myself Ga Eul’s friend?

As Ji Hoo stepped in the kitchen, he spotted Ha Jin’s slightly shivering form, leaning against the counter. He walked close to her, but she seemed to be completely unaware of his presence. He hesitated for a moment before placing a hand on her shoulder. Ha Jin jumped at his touch and turned around. Looking at her red eyes and tear stained cheeks, Ji Hoo lowered his arm to hold her hand.

“How could I be so insensitive to her sufferings all these years? She has gone through hell! But I was such a failure as a friend that she could not even share her agony with me. I do not even deserve to be called her friend,” spoke Ha Jin in a muffled tone and looked down at her feet.

“Don’t say that. Don’t blame yourself. It was her choice to not tell you before. You must respect that. But that does not mean you were not a good friend to her. Stay strong, and behave normally. Otherwise you will make her feel more conscious and uncomfortable. Arasso?” spoke Ji Hoo and tugged at her hand.

Ha Jin nodded her head slightly with a deep sigh and freed her hand from his hold. She turned back to the coffee maker and grabbed the filled carafe. Ji Hoo gathered some coffee mugs on a tray and then both went together to their friends.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Jae Kyung got a taxi from the airport. Woo Bin had sent her Yi Jung’s address and she gave that to the driver. As she sat back, and looked out of the window, several thoughts came flashing in her mind.

Jae Kyung’s parents had filed for divorce when she was in her primary school. It was a bitter feud, and a prolonged one; finally, it was declared that her mother was an alcoholic, who was not capable to have her custody. So, at that tender age, she was separated from her mother and moved to Japan with her father. In a year’s time, her father re-married. And to her new mother she was nothing but a baggage from her father’s past. Although her father never failed to provide her love and care, gradually she found herself drifting away from him and the rest of the family.

Initially, it was very difficult to cope with all the changes. With time, she learnt how to seclude herself on her own, and stop expecting anything from people around her. In the process, she could have easily strayed to wrong paths, as common with youth in such conditions. But god finally decided to show her happiness in her life.

Ga Eul’s family had moved to Tokyo as Jae Kyung’s new neighbor. Going to the same school and same class brought the two girls closer. It was Ga Eul and her parents who helped her, nurtured her and made her what she is today. She had finally felt mother’s love from Ga Eul’s mother, which her own estranged mother or her step-mother had never cared to provide.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

It was past midnight, when her phone started ringing. For once, she had gone to bed early. In her sleepy eyes, she picked up her phone.

“Hello Ga Eul,” responded Jae Kyung groggily.

All she could hear on the phone was her friend, crying loudly. Instantly, her sixth sense alerted her about something gone very wrong.

“Ga Eul? What is it Ga Eul? Why are you crying?” asked Jae Kyung, sitting up on her bed.

As soon as she managed to get some information from her friend, she headed for Hokkaido. Jae Kyung had left her family home and moved to the university accommodation. So, she did not care about answering anyone at the middle of the night.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Two weeks later, she came back to Tokyo, bringing Ga Eul and her mother with her. They were threatened by the goons that if they tried to go to the police, they would not be spared. Ga Eul’s father’s death was termed as an accident. Her mother was almost paralysed by the severe injury on her head. And above all, Ga Eul had become a lifeless being. There were several nights, when she would wake up screaming at ungodly hours. Jae Kyung tried to persuade her to visit a doctor. But she refused, lest she revealed all the truth and thereby bring more harm to her mother and Jae Kyung.

Life became even harder. Ga Eul’s mother’s treatment required money. She did not want to be a burden to Jae Kyung who was working part-time after her university classes. She forced herself out of her grief and joined back her studies, along with working several part-time jobs.

Surprisingly, they were not bothered anymore by the goons. But, as soon as Ga Eul graduated, she decided to leave the country and go back to Korea with her mother.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Jae Kyung was brought out of her distant memories when the driver stopped the taxi in front of Yi Jung’s house. On entering, she noticed Ga Eul sitting on the couch, and everyone else seated around her.

“Ga Eul,” called Jae Kyung, and rushed to embrace her friend.

A fresh bout of tears started as soon as the three friends came together. The men stayed by their side, at a distance, in silence.

It was just a month and a half back that these men had met the girls for the first time. Never had they imagined that in this short time, they would come face-to-face with each other’s life’s deepest and darkest secrets. Fate had entwined their lives in a strange way, unknowingly to any of them.

………………………………………………………………………………………………....

Later in the morning, they all decided to go back to their own places. Thankfully it was Saturday, so Ha Jin did not have to bother about her office.

“Uhm, girls, if you don’t mind, what is your plan next weekend?” asked Woo Bin.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter