Familiar

Crimson Bond

[a/n: So it's a little shorter than I would've liked it, but I wanted to update so I threw it all together and put it up. Guess we can call it a transitional chapter. Get us ready for what comes next O.O. Anyways hope you enjoy! :D - The Informed Puppy]

 

"So wait...all those movies aren’t true?” Mina questions, leaning forward to rest her elbows on her knees. Tzuyu laughs aloud, sitting on the bed opposite her and leaning against the headboard.

"Fire and decapitation. Those are true. The rest is just bull to make humans think they’re safe from the monsters in the dark.”

It had been a couple of days since Tzuyu had tasted Mina’s blood, and the two seemed to start getting along better after that. There was a trust between the two, forged from the simple fact that Tzuyu did not kill Mina when the latter had given her the perfect opening to. Victoria still proved a most terrifying presence though, staring at Mina if she were nothing more than food whenever the two came into contact. Hyoyeon on the other hand acted the same as when Mina didn’t know. Blunt, patronizing, and a terrible cook.

"Then why did that guy in your story call you guys ‘Nightwalkers’?” Mina asks. She had been talking with Tzuyu for the past few hours now, asking every question she could about vampires, and more specifically about Tzuyu’s case.

"Because it would be stupid to hunt in the middle of broad daylight back then. Someone was bound to notice and the people back in those days were some of the most paranoid things, let me tell you.” Tzuyu says with an exasperated flair towards the end. “I couldn’t walk two steps without getting questioned about my looks. My skin, my eyes, my hair; people would convince themselves I was some monster just because they thought I was beautiful. When I travelled up here to Korea, I found it was similar. Difference was is they could put a name to the monster.” Tzuyu barks out a chuckle at the memory. “The soothsayers and village crackheads would accuse me of being a Gumiho instead of a vampire. I didn’t much care, whether fox or bat the idea scared the townsfolk. The more scared they were, the more entertaining the hunt.” Tzuyu remarks with simplicity. Mina furrows her brow, still not used to the ease in which Tzuyu would talk about hunting, and killing, humans, but kept a good face because the company was nice.

"So…-do- gumiho’s exist?” Mina asks innocently. Tzuyu leans forward with a soft smirk.

"What do you think?” Tzuyu asks back, the curiosity in her voice teasing.

"Well a week ago I would have said no, that they were just legends. Now…” Mina trails off, brow furrowed as she puts intense thought into the question. Tzuyu just ends up letting out a soft little laugh.

"I’ll put the fire alarms in your brain to rest. No, they don’t. No werewolves, witches, or other such things. Vampires are real...the rest? Well, they are simply people's different interpretations of us.” Mina blinks, then frowns at Tzuyu’s remark.

"Fire alarms? Are you calling me stupid?” Mina holds up a hand to her chest and opens in mock surprise. Tzuyu chuckles again.

"Well….You were the one about to say gumiho’s were real.” Tzuyu quips snidely, then giggles as a pillow collides with her face. She pulls it down and rests it on her lap, giving Mina a genuine smile of playful glee. To Mina’s surprise, she finds herself smiling back, much preferring this softer, gentler side to Tzuyu that she’d never seen before.

Tzuyu runs a hand through her hair and looks to the door, then looks back to Mina with a soft smile. “Hyoyeon’s home, and she’s brought someone you might be interested in seeing.” Tzuyu’s face then shifts back to the typical cold expression it was so good at showcasing. It disappointed Mina, as she thought she was making progress cracking the vampires impassive barrier. Mina finds this train of thought interrupted however as the door to the bedroom is suddenly busted open and Mina’s eyes freeze on the person in the door.

Momo’s dark eyes are staring back at Mina with the same, if not greater level of shock at the sight in front of her. Suddenly she rushes to the bedside and wraps Mina up in a crushing hug. Tzuyu gets up off the bed quickly, then silently slides out of the room, letting the two have their reunion in peace.

"I thought you were dead.” Momo whispers, her voice cracking as Mina feels the dampness of tears touch her shoulder. Slowly Mina wraps her arms around her bandmate and best friend, clinging to Momo for fear she might suddenly disappear.

"Momo...I’ve missed you so much.” Mina stammers out, tears starting to drip from her own eyes.

"You’ve been here this whole time?” Momo asks, pulling away just enough to look at Mina, who nods in response. “Idiot.” Momo quips quietly while bopping Mina on the shoulder. Mina nearly topples over at this ‘little bump’, but before she could question it Momo wraps her back up into a hug. “You should’ve called us, or sent us a letter, or smoke signals. I don’t care. You shouldn’t have let me- let us think you died.” Momo scolds while holding Mina in this tight embrace, and Mina finds herself struggling for breath under her friends crushing affection.

"I’m sorry... Moguri. But I...I can’t breath....” Mina heaves and gasps for air as Momo pulls away from the hug, muttering apologies to her as she pats her shoulder. Mina waves off the apology before looking up and around the room for Tzuyu, hoping to introduce her to Momo, but not having realized Tzuyu had already slipped out.

"Tzuyu left to go talk with Hyo, if that’s what you’re curious about.” Momo says quietly, Mina looks over to Momo with a brow raised, pulling away from her slightly.

"How do you know that? Are you psychic or something?” Mina quips with a witty tone, but Momo shakes her head softly while looking down at the bed.

"Then how do you know?” Mina asks with a still joking tone. The answer to her question is gifted to her by the sudden change of Momo’s eye from a dark brown to a bright silver and Mina’s teasing expression suddenly shifts to one of fear.

"Call it a hunch.” Momo responds with a small shrug.

"You?! When?” Mina exclaims, jumping back to other side of the bed almost immediately.

"Remember when I was eliminated during Sixteen?” Mina nods, “Yeah, I met Hyoyeon shortly after leaving the studio. One thing led to another, and...here I am.” Momo shrugs again. “It’s not that bad. It helped my performance skills, being able to react quicker to what was going on. Not to mention Hyoyeon is a pretty good teacher. Don’t tell her that though. She’s a bit full of herself in that regard.” Momo grins wickedly, then cringes at an unheard voice, turning to the door and calling back. “Love you too, Unnie!” Momo smiles as she looks back to Mina. “Anyways, are you ready?” Mina once again lifts a brow in confusion.

"Ready for what?” Mina asks, furrowing her brow at Momo.

"Didn’t Tzuyu tell you? We’re going home.”