Picking Up the Pieces

Crimson Bond

 

A look of shock is frozen on Mina’s face as she sits there. She feels the knife in her back, the sharp pain telling her that much, but she doesn’t scream. She looks up to Tzuyu, who’s screaming as Mina while ever grower taller, or maybe Mina’s getting shorter. She can’t quite figure it out. Her vision starts to grey out and she finds herself suddenly getting tired, really tired. Her eyes start to drift shut when she feels something wet being pressed against her lips and liquid spilling into . She swallows it, as she finds starting to feel dry. It’s thick and tastes metallic at first. Her brow furrows and she starts to pull away before the bursting flavor of wintermint hits her tongue. She nearly gasps at the sudden change in flavor and starts drinking down the liquid in large gulps. Once the source of it is pulled away from her she falls forward, using her hands to catch herself.

At first she just feels this little buzz running through her veins and her eyes start to drift shut again. But soon that buzz turns into a burn, and that burn turns into a raging fire that scours her veins of life. She grits her teeth and she’s sure that some sound comes out of because feels ragged afterwards. She’s then met by a crippling pressure in her upper jaw and reaches up a hand to cover as she screams again. She collapses to the ground, curling in on herself in hopes that the pain will go away.

Tzuyu looks down at Mina with sad eyes, wishing that she were stronger and that she could’ve just left the girl to die. Wishing she had the strength of will have just left her that day in the hallway. Silent tears float down her cheek and she looks up to Sana, who is now just standing there like a zombie.

Flashback

Sana finds herself entranced by this woman in front of her, willing to do anything to keep that sweet smile of her face. “I only have two simple requests.” The woman says with a voice like satin.

"Anything.” Sana replies breathlessly.

"First, I want you to wait for that girl Mina likes to come into your dorm room. When she does...kill Mina.” Victoria instructs with a sweet and falsely innocent tone.

"And what's the second thing?” Sana asks, unable to question why she should kill one of her closest friends.

"Make sure the girl knows that Victoria is the one who will win this war.” The woman says up against Sana’s ear before placing a flaming kiss against Sana’s neck and vanishing as quickly as she had appeared. Nayeon bursts into the dorm moments later and Sana acts as if nothing happened, instead going to console her Unnie.

Once Tzuyu looks up at her, Sana looks back down and tilts her head before chanting in a low monotone. “Victoria will have her way. Victoria will see the older suffer. Victoria will survive while the older dies.” Sana then turns the knife on herself and raises it into the air. For a split second Tzuyu considered just letting her do it. It wasn’t the girl's fault, she knew this. She had all the signs of being glamoured. Glazed over eyes, low monotone voice, but the problem was is that it was still this girl that did the deed. Eventually the remnants of her conscience, and the fact that Mina would kill her if she let one of her friends get hurt forces her into action. She races up and pins Sana to the wall, causing the girl to drop the knife. Tzuyu forces the girl to look into her eyes, then says with a low and seductive voice.

"Awaken.” Sana blinks a bit, losing the glazed over look to her eyes. She see’s the bloody knife on the floor and stifles a scream.

"Oh god...what...what have I done!?” Sana stammers out with a horrified expression. She remembers what she did, but thought it was just a nightmare, or some sort of awful vision. She never in her wildest dreams thought it was true. Tzuyu forces her to look back into her eyes.

"You hurt your friend, but it was not you. It was a woman controlling you. You had nothing to do with this.” Tzuyu assure, her voice smooth as silk to Sana’s ears. The girls eyes glaze over again for a breif moment and she nods. She blinks a bit and shakes herself out of the stupor she was in, then looks over to the screaming Mina, who was clawing at the floor as she twisted and turn in her affliction.

"Is she going to be ok?” Sana whispers, concern now straining her features as she pushes past Tzuyu and curls up over her friend. Tzuyu sighs, forcing herself to look at the woman she cares for writhing in pain.

"She will be...just give it a few moments.” Tzuyu says quietly, walking over next to Mina and crouching down, brushing a hair out of her face.

Mina can hear distant voices, but it’s hard to make out all of them. She thinks she hears Tzuyu, or maybe it’s Sana...both? Mina tries to pick out the voices when her focus is ripped from the conversation as the burning centralizes in and eyes. She screams again and turns onto her knees, forehead pressed against the floor as her hands cover her eyes and she begs for mercy. Her vision turns completely white for a brief moment, then the fires dim and cease completely and she’s left sitting in the room, curled in on herself and feeling the weight of something pressed on her back. She places her hands on the floor and pushes up slowly, feeling the weight on her back shift off quickly as she does.

"Mina?” A husky voice calls out her name. She blinks a couple times more and quickly turns around, looking into the concerned, charcoal eyes of Tzuyu.

"Tzuyu what happened? What’s going on?” Mina asks as she rubs her head. It’s not that it hurts, it’s just everything seems brighter to her. She looks around, finding herself having to squint as she looks up into the light above her.

"That’ll pass, Mina...your body is just adjusting.” Tzuyu responds mutedly.

Adjusting to what?”

"Vampirism.”

 

---

 

Nayeon blinks a bit as the burning stops. It wasn’t day when this started...She thinks as she looks at her now bright surroundings. Her gaze falls on Momo, who’s tending to a hysterical Chaeyoung and an all too quiet Ji-hyo. She blinks a bit more, looking past and onto…

"NO!” Nayeon shrieks and stumbles over to Dahyun and Jeongyeon, who are lying there lifelessly. She goes to touch them, only to find herself forcefully kicked back a few meters. She shakes her head and looks at her attacker. She finds a tall and slender girl with long, dark brown hair and silver eyes staring at her intensely. Nayeon returns the stare and surprises herself when she hears a beast like growl rumble from . Seolhyun narrows her eyes and returns the growl.

"No feeding on them.” Seolhyun states curtly.

“You think I was going to feed on them? My friends?” Nayeon says with an incredulous tone.

"If you were like me an hour ago? Yes.” Seolhyun growls back. This time Momo gets up, glaring at the other newborn.

"Move.” Momo commands.

"No. I was told -” Momo snarls and rushes Seolhyun, grabbing her by the throat. She lifts the younger vampire off the ground starting to crush her windpipe in the process. It won’t kill her, Momo knows this, but it will sure hurt like a son of a . Seolhyun tries to gasp for air, forgetting she can live without it, and kicks out a leg towards Momo’s gut. She crumples under the kick, sending the both of them toppling to the ground. Momo is the first one up, moving quickly over to Jeongyeons side and biting into her wrist placing it over her friends mouth. She leaves it there for a moment, pleading silently that she was alright, and almost cries in relief as she see’s Jeongyeon’s jaw move with a swallow.

Momo’s happiness is short lived however, as she is suddenly and forcefully pulled back by Seolhyun, who snarls viciously at her. Momo returns the snarl and the two race towards each other. Momo ducks at the last second and brings a fist crashing into Seolhyun’s stomach. The younger vampire coughs and is sent flying backwards by the impact of the blow, skidding against the cement as her body reconnects with it. Momo presses the attack, leaping onto the vampire and pinning her against the ground before nailing her with punch after punch.

Nayeon watches from where she landed, stuck somewhere between awed and terrified at how fierce Momo was fighting. She then looks over and notices Jeongyeon coughing and starting to come too. She scrambles over and notices the jokbal scented blood on her lip, then ponders to herself how blood could smell like jokbal. It is at this moment when Nayeon notices the presence of two large teeth in that weren’t there before. She gasps at the realization, remembering what Momo did to her earlier. Feeding blood to her on the rooftop, then biting her just hours later. She silently curses to herself as she realizes what Victoria wanted, and brings her wrist up to . If Momo can do it, then there’s no reason I can’t she thinks to herself, trying to encourage herself to do it. She takes a deep breath, then presses her teeth into her wrist, whimpering slightly at the pain. She pulls it away and finds the open wound on her wrist that begins to seep blood and smiles to herself before pressing it against Dahyun’s lips. If you’re dead, I’m going to kill you Nayeon thinks in a scolding manner as she feels the blood seep into the second maknae’s mouth. Nayeon starts to get frustrated when nothing happens and is about to pull her wrist away when she see’s Dahyun swallow. She lets out a gasp of relief and leaves her wrist there as Dahyun drinks the blood in.

Nayeon would have kept feeding the poor girl blood, but instead she find herself flying as something collides with her side. She skids down the sidewalk and turns to find Momo lying on the ground. Momo readjusts herself, taking a defensive position in front of Nayeon as Seolhyun strides towards them, growling lowly. The attacker crouches and gets ready to pounce, when she’s suddenly tossed away.

Momo blinks a bit as she see’s Ji-hyo turn to face Seolhyun, who is already back on her feet and staring at Ji-hyo with a shocked expression. The leader turned vampire snarls viciously, silver eyes glowing in unbridaled anger. Ji-hyo was sick of this girl and her tricks. First she tears apart Ji-hyo’s throat, then forces her to drink her blood. Her blood! After a few moments of thinking she’d been left in a burning building she wakes up with large canines in and this desperate ache in her stomach. The ache overpowered her and she Jeongyeon, piercing her neck and draining as much blood as she could from her friend. Ji-hyo snarls again and starts advancing towards Seolhyun, glaring daggers into the other vampire. Momo gets an idea and pulls herself to her feet quickly, falling in behind Ji-hyo. She hoped and prayed that this gesture would be enough to scare the aggressive newborn off. Seolhyun hisses at the both of them, realizing she's now outmatched. When Nayeon gets to her feet and starts towards her too, Seolhyun decides it's in her best interest to leave, and darts off into the night with a soft growl.

 

---

 

"A vampire?” Mina asks, which is only answered by a solemn nod from Tzuyu. She opens to question further, not believing Tzuyu when she feels a sudden burn in her stomach. She doubles over and groans out in pain, becoming all to aware of the scent of baked apples in the room. She looks up and takes a deep breath, sourcing the scent from the woman next to Tzuyu. She snarls and lunges for the girl with the tantalizing smell, but is stopped by a set of strong arms around her waist. She hisses and growls and claws at the air, desperately trying to reach out for the human just out of her grasp.

Tzuyu lifts herself and Mina up off the ground, hefting the frenzied newborn over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carrying her out of the building hurriedly. Mina becomes silent once they on the street and Tzuyu sets her down. She remains motionless for about half a second before lunging at Tzuyu snarling and growling out her displeasure at having her meal taken from her. Tzuyu grabs Mina by the arms and forcibly shoves her back, the younger vampire stumbling back into an alleyway next to the building. Mina tries to attack Tzuyu again and the latter let out a savage snarl.

"Mina, enough!” Tzuyu snaps and Mina immediately pulls back, blinking a couple times. She whimpers softly and shrinks a little as she realizes what had just happened.

"What was that?” Mina asks with a panicked tone, “Why did I just-”
“You’re a newborn that hasn’t fed yet, you’re hungry.” Tzuyu responds, her tone becoming more gentle. She motions for Mina to stay put, then walks out to the street and starts looking around. She notes a local bar across the street from the dorm building, smirking as she see’s a drunken sleaze stumble out of the establishment. She dashes across the street, scoops him up and is back before Mina can even blink, setting him down in front of her.

"Here. Eat.” Tzuyu commands simply, leaving Mina baffled.

"Wait...what?” Mina asks quizzically, causing Tzuyu to sigh.

“Eat. Here, I’ll help.” Her silver eyes gleam and she buries her teeth into his neck. He groans lightly and stumbles a bit before Tzuyu pulls away, scrunching up her nose as she swallows.

"He tastes like beer...surprising.” Tzuyu remarks sarcastically as she pushes him slightly towards Mina. The drunkard stumbles and lands in Mina’s arms with a low groan. She see’s the blood inches from her face, and the smell starts to draw her in. She growls lowly, her teeth flashing against the dim lights around them briefly and her grip on the man tightening. She initially tries to fight her need for the liquid pumping through his cardiovascular, but eventually instinct takes over and a beast like snarl rips from before she sinks her teeth into the open wound Tzuyu left.

The feeling was euphoric, like nothing Mina had ever felt before. Every nerve in her body was screaming and a warm buzz flooded her veins as this man's vile tasting blood washed through and down . She continues to gulp down the blood like she’d never taste it again in her life. Greedily slurping up every ounce this meatbag in her arms had to offer. When she finally couldn’t draw any more out of him, she pulled away, pushing the shriveled corpse away, causing it to crumple further back into the alleyway.

"That was…” Mina trails off, initially high off the feeling before looking down at her bloodied hands and clothing. Guilt starts to wrack her conscience and she starts wiping at the blood, hoping it will magically disappear. Tzuyu walks up to her and sets her hands gingerly against Mina’s neck, bringing her head up to look her in the eye.

"You’ll be ok, Mina. It’s natural to feel like this after killing your first human, imean you were one of them a few hours ago. Don’t worry to much though, you’ll get used to it. And I’ll be here every step of the way.” Tzuyu reassures her gently and Mina nods. “I’m so sorry.” Tzuyu says as she kisses her cheek. Mina raises a brow.

Why are you sorry?” Mina questions, bringing her hands up to rest on Tzuyu’s hips.

"If it wasn’t for the stupid decisions I’ve made over these past few months. You’d still be human, and none of this would’ve happened.” Tzuyu spits with a dark expression, casting her gaze to the side and away from Mina. Mina frowns and brings her hands further up to Tzuyu cheeks, her thumb caressing the older vampires soft skin compassionately as she brings her sad eyes to look into Mina’s.

"What are you talking about? Twice now you’ve saved my life. Sure this may not be...optimal, but look on the bright side.” Tzuyu raises a brow, “Now you don’t have to worry about watching me waste away, and I don't have to worry about you becoming lonely once I die. I will be here with you. Forever.” Mina says with a tender smile. Tzuyu manages a sad smile back leaning foward to kiss her gently, melting against Mina's almost electric touch.

"Now let's hope no psychopath with a knife interrupts us this time.” Mina quips with a smirk as she brings Tzuyu in for another kiss.

---

[a/n: I finally managed a happy ending with one of my chapters....yay! Hopefully I'll be able to get chapter thirteen out by tomorrow or Saturday, so keep an eye out. In the meantime thank you again to all my readers for your continued support and feedback. It helps me shape future chapters and always makes me smile reading your comments. Love you guys! ;) <3 - The Informed Puppy]