034

Never Ever

 

Senior Year 20XX

 

 

“This? This your contract?” Haena asked as she picked up the flimsy material.

“Yeah.” Rina nodded.

“Isn’t this the napkin we use at the school cafeteria?” Haena balked, Mark looked up and grinned at her.

The three were at a nearby café, they had all finished classes and were just waiting for Jinyoung to arrive.

I’ve never seen a contract so…bland.” Haena stated as she read the two lines.

Lee Rina is to help Mark Tuan secure his seat in Tuan Group and Tuan Group’s position in the Korean market will become stronger through this union.” Haena recited, Rina grew amused as she leaned back on the chair.

Mark Tuan will be Rina’s instrument for mass destruction and will help her with LLG.

Mark eyed Rina warily, but the girl just chortled.

Why are you guys like this?” Haena blinked at the two. Rina was looking at the two girls standing by the counter; they were dressed scantily, mini skirts and tight crop tops matched with five-inch heels.

“Unnie, now’s not the time to judge people.”

“Look at them,” Rina said as the girls walked back to their table where the three middle-aged men waited eagerly as they sat down with their drinks.

“I mean, come on, look at them!”

“Why?” Haena sighed.

“They’re only here just to flirt with older men, they’re just after their money. Ugh.”

“You do remember that you married Mark oppa for money, right?” Haena pointed out

“Touché.” Mark grinned but he reached out to poke Rina’s cheek.

“Good point.” Rina nodded at her cousin.

 

 

“Are you really going to do this, unnie? You know what being married means, right?” Haena asked, Mark had stepped out to make some calls.

“Of course, I do. And, it’s just Mark, Haena. It will be like…marrying a best friend.”

“But your contract…you didn’t write when it will end.”

Rina shrugged.

“I don’t know how much time I need. And he’s not sure if he’ll be able to adjust to working here.”

“Still, I hope you guys wont have a difficult time.” Haena nodded just as their food arrived.

“Where’s Jinyoung? Food’s here.” Rina looked around.

“I’ll call them over.” The older girl stood up and walked towards the door.

“I still feel iffy about this.” Haena muttered before picking up her fork.

 

 

“Are you sure about doing this?”

Rina recognized Jinyoung’s voice.

“Yeah.”

“Hyung, if you do this, you’re destroying all your chances to be with her.”

“What are you saying?” Mark sounded confused, Rina’s brows met briefly.

She stopped walking and pressed herself against the wall.

“If you marry Rina because of what’s happening now, then that would make her think you don’t want to be with her anymore.”

Rina’s eyes widened.

“Don’t worry about it.” Mark’s reply was quiet.

“Hyung~”

“I love her, Jinyoung, okay? And there’s nothing I can do with what I’m in now, she doesn’t even see me.”

Rina looked away, her brows met briefly.

“You’re taking responsibility, again?” Jinyoung shook his head.

“It’s okay. Stop talking about it.”

“But hyung, Arissa~”

“Let’s go in, the girls are probably eating our food.” Mark stated, Rina dashed back to their table.

 

 

Rina sat down, her brows furrowed as she looked at their contract on the table and then a hand suddenly swiped it, she looked up.

“Shouldn’t you be keeping this?” Mark mused before handing it to her.

“Y—Yeah, I should.” She nodded quickly before folding it neatly and inserting it inside her Balenciaga backpack.

“What should we get you? As a wedding gift?” Jinyoung asked jokingly as he pulled his club sandwich closer to him.

“I want an Alaskan malamute.” Rina replied.

“Something practical, Rina.” Jinyoung grinned.

“Wae? Do you think I can’t afford to maintain a malamute?” She made a face at him, Mark grinned before mussing her hair.

“Just eat, Irina. Stop bickering with the other kid.”

“Ya!” Jinyoung protested, Haena just grinned.

“Mark, what’s this?” Rina looked at her plate.

“You said you wanted to fish.” Mark replied and eyed her untouched food.

“I said something tuna, I don’t need sliced fish.” She frowned at the fish fillet.

“There she goes again, unnie doesn’t like sliced fish, but she eats fish when it’s served whole. She eats pork, but never the type of pork that is served with soup.”

Mark smiled and picked up her plate.

“I’ll have it changed. Chicken?” Mark asked.

“Please.” Rina smiled sheepishly.

Mark just nodded and walked to the counter with the plate in hand.

“How do you do that?” Jinyoung mused as he ate, Haena looked up.

“Do what?” Rina asked.

“Have Mark Tuan listen to you.” He stated, Rina just blinked at him before standing up.

“He does pay a lot of attention when it comes to her, huh?” Haena asked as soon as Rina left. She watched as her cousin walk up to Mark who was speaking with the water.

Rina was holding on to the sleeve of his jacket as she chose what she wanted to eat instead.

“Enough attention that he’s willing to give her up.” Jinyoung said to himself.

 

 

“Your announcement did shock the whole family.” Kyunghee spoke, Rina puffed her cheeks. Mark’s parents were also with them at their home.

It’s useless nagging them now.” Mrs. Tuan smiled at her future-in-laws, Rina looked at Mark and shrugged.

But, why did you keep this from us, Rina?” Kyunghee looked at her daughter. Rina paused and looked at the ring on her finger.

I didn’t think…things would get really serious, ma.

Mark almost laughed at her reply.

How about we hold the wedding after graduation? That way we will have more time.” Mrs. Tuan suggested happily, Rina saw her mother smile and nod.

Her father was already chatting happily with Mark’s dad, letting their wives handle the heavy stuff.

That doesn’t sound so bad, right?” Mark faced Rina, she nodded back. Then Mark stood up.

Can we talk outside? We have a few things to discuss.” Mark said politely.

Sure, sure. I will have to make calls for the reception hall anyway.” Mrs. Lee smiled at them, Rina balked before letting Mark pull her out of the living room.

“Well, that was….” Rina trailed off as they reached the garden.

“At least we’re done with it.” Mark mused, Rina looked down and nodded.

R, is something wrong?” He cupped her cheek briefly.

“But, are you really sure? Marrying me would change a lot of things for you.” Rina said quietly, Mark looked at the clear blue sky and smiled.

“I am sure, Irina. What’s this? Cold feet?” He teased, Rina just shrugged.

“I just don’t want you to give up too much for me, Tuan.”

Food’s ready!” They heard Mark’s father call them over. Mark looked up and offered his hand to her.

“So, let’s go. Stop sulking.” Mark said.

Rina looked at his offered hand.

“Should I hold onto you then?” She met his gaze, Mark chuckled.

“I would prefer if you do.”

Rina nodded and took his hand.

“We’re probably going to hell for this, huh? Lying to our parents about us loving each other.” Rina stated and shuddered slightly.

“Not really. I’m not exactly lying.” Mark replied as they reached the house.

“So, it’s just me? Going to hell?” Rina balked at him, Mark laughed.

Send me a postcard.” He teased. Rina just rolled her eyes at him before heading to the dining room. Mark smiled to himself as he watched her talk to his parents.

 

 

“I’m not lying, R. It’s you I want to marry.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++