Diploma

Beethoven

 

 

Kyungsoo had to get to the university earlier than  the rest of the graduates to take care of the performance's preparations. It was very early, yet when he arrived he already saw Chanyeol and Baekhyun standing at the enterance of the school and directing the crew to bring the equipment inside. A small wave of nervousness washed over him when two big guys had to carry a speaker over from the truck and into the university's little stadium. Baekhyun was sipping on a bought cup of ice coffee through the straw while talking and laughing with Chanyeol, who was watching over the workers' progress.

"Ah! Kyungsoo!" He heard a familiar voice behind him. It was Minseok calling out to him while holding an expensive looking bouquet of flowers and rushing over with Jongdae a little behind on a phonecall.
"Minseok-hyung! I didn't know you were coming, professor Junmyeon only told me about inviting Kris."
"Whaa! So he's coming as well? We got invited by Chanyeol. At first we wanted to deliver you a huge bouquet for your graduation, but Chanyeol said there's a big surprise and we MUST be here. We canceled a dance practice to come." Minseok said with a cheerful yet slightly suspicious tone.

Minseok stepped closer to smiling Kyungsoo and hugged him warmly before handing the bouquet to him. Kyungsoo's smile grew wider and he sincerely thanked both Minseok and Jongdae for the flowers before directing them into the teacher's lounge in the university where they will be able to wait without being seen.
After they got into the lounging area Kyungsoo spun back to return to Chanyeol, but bumped into Baekhyun who was standing right at the door. 

"Baekhyun, sorry about that." Kyungsoo quickly bowed with a small chuckle to apologize for being an obstacle in his way.
"Kyungsoooo!" Baekhyun wrapped his arms around him.
"Congratulations! Junmyeon told me you have a surprise waiting today. He also told me there was a surprise waiting for us! Fighting!" His smile was overflowing with satisfaction and innocence when he raised his fist with determination, yet Kyungsoo had a feeling Baekhyun knows what's planned.
"Haha, thank you so much Baekhyun.. I'm really grateful the three of you came to see my graduation."
"Of course we'd come, silly! You should have told us sooner. It's not a bother so don't worry. We had a cancel a bit of the schedule but that's only because we were told so late!" Baekhyun patted Kyungsoo's shoulder a few times, pouted, and then smiled again.
"It's your big day, have fun! Alright?" He sipped his coffee.
"I will." Kyungsoo replied brightly, turned back, and walked towards the outer gate of the university when he last saw the giant.

So Chanyeol invited CBX without telling them about the special performance. It actually made Kyungsoo feel a little relieved that his good friends will be there to support him. It's so odd that he can call these incredible famous people his friends. It's something he still has to get used to. But it really did make him happy.
When he got out of the main enterance the truck was already gone and Chanyeol was nowhere to be seen. Kyungsoo stood there confused for a few moments before a shadow crept from beside the door.

"Boo!" Chanyeol growled while grabbing Kyungsoo's shoulders from behind.

Kyungsoo jumped with a gasp and jerked his body sideways, nearly slipping before an arm pulled him back to stability by the waist. While letting out a sigh and catching his breath he heard Chanyeol's joyous laughter. Raising his head with a wish for revenge, Kyungsoo found the perfect timing to poke his finger right into Chanyeol's side. The giant gasped himself and nearly fell down from the surprise.
The two of them stared at each other for a few seconds in silence before being taken over by a lively laughter.

They calmed back down at the same time, a bright smile still glued to both their faces. Kyungsoo could see that Chanyeol's eyes were sparkling with happiness. This dork could probably make him laugh even when the world is falling apart around them.
Kyungsoo let out one last chuckle before hugging around Chanyeol's body, head resting against his chest. Chanyeol was quick to return the hug and even ruffled his hair a little bit before they parted.

"Kyungsoo! Chanyeol!" A soft voice called out to them from the gate. Junmyeon was waving at them with a smile and his other arm was interlocked with Kris' long one.

Ah.. It was such a relief that everyone arrived this early. Kyungsoo was glad. That way no paparazzi would be hoarding around the university and possibly harassing the graduating students and their families. While CBX, Kris and Junmyeon were hanging in the teacher's lounge Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were busy setting up the equipment on the stage of the little auditorium. Kyungsoo didn't exactly know how he could be useful in such a situation since he has no experience with any of the applications, so he just followed Chanyeol around and tried to learn as much as he could.
On the other side of the event hall was a control booth for all of the devices. The two entered it. Chanyeol got familiar with all the different buttons right away after a short intruction from the university's janitor.

"Kyungsoo-yah, go to the stage and do a microphone check with all three microphones, alright?"
"Sure."

He went back and stood up on the stage, looking around at all the lights being moved to direct at him like a spotlight. It was slightly blinding at first, but he quickly got over it and grabbed the three microphones. Testing each one according to Chanyeol's commands while the settings were tweaked professionaly. His gigantic friend can really do anything..

Everything was prepared, the students and their families started swarming into the stadium and every graduate was given a special cloak and a hat. Some of them already prepared at home and decorated their hats with different drawings or texts. At the first half of the ceremony Kyungsoo would be participating the same as any other graduate, but seeing everyone with their families made him feel a little deprived.
He stepped aside from the auditorium's door and checked his cellphone. Ah. So he wasn't forgotten.

[ Kim Jongdae: Waaaaa, why didn't you tell us your graduation was today? We're coming anyway, haha. ]
[ Kim Jongdae: ;3 ]
--
[ Kris Wu: Congratulations Kyungsoo, let me know if there's any gift you want for your graduation. From me and Junmyeon. ]
--
[ Mom: My baby, your father and I are so incredibly proud of you. We know you've worked hard and we couldn't be happier with your achivement. We miss you very much. Take care of your health and come visit soon! ]
[ Mom: Don't forget a sweater sweety. ]
--
[ Seungsoo Hyung: Hello baby brother, I heard you are graduating today. Wow! You've grown so much. All of my comrades are really happy for you too. I miss you! I don't have a vacation yet, but when we meet I will test you and see if you really did it without cheating. I'm healthy and well, so don't be concerned. I love you. Stay safe, clear? ]

Kyungsoo's heart was filled with so much bliss that he felt like he will end up crying soon. He suddenly realized how loved he is and how many people trully care about him and his well being. Ahhh.. He wants this blessed feeling to last forever. It took him a few slow breathing exercises to finally relax and enter again.

---

The university's principal gave his speech. So did many professors and management crew members. Junmyeon didn't speak, but he stood at the side of the stage with a small elegant smile the whole time. A representative of the parents' organization spoke about the future. The most loved student in the whole establishment, Lee Jieun - IU, head of the students' council - gave a jokes filled speech about how clueless and confused all the students really are about their future. Some of the teachers even shed a few tears because the queen of university is graduating today. Kyungsoo slowly started filling up with emotions, so to calm back down he had to look around. He spotted Kris standing behind all the parents, and CBX were sitting in the empty higher rows of seats near the control booth. It seems Minseok noticed that Kyungsoo was looking at them, because he waved happily right after he turned his head to their direction.

When the speeches ended it was time for the second half of the show to begin. Junmyeon snuck between the rows and tapped Kyungsoo's shoulder, reminding him to get ready. The two of them quickly headed behind the stage into one of the small preparations rooms. Chanyeol was already there, sitting and talking with Kris while a professional makeup artist was taking care of his face. After he was ready he urged Kyungsoo to get pampered as well. It didn't take a lot of effort to convince Kyungsoo into it. Just the same as Chanyeol, it took only a quick moment for him to be done.

Kris and Junmyeon left the room and returned to the audience. It's almost time. Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol who had a serious expression on his face while his fingers were moving as if he's repeating a part that he's going to play on the guitar. The playback is already prepared ahead of time, but he insisted on being the one playing the bass live in the performance. Kyungsoo sat down in one of the chairs and began fiddling with his fingers. He had a bad habbit of messing with his own nails when he was nervous and no matter what he did to try and stop it he always ended up doing it anyway.

A crew member knocked on the door to signal them that their show is up next. When they exit the room a few students who just performed had a hard time keeping calm when they saw Chanyeol's arm resting on Kyungsoo's shoulder as they walked to grab the guitar. They took everything they needed and went to the two opposite sides of the stage. 

Kyungsoo accidentaly bumped into a woman who had her face entirely covered with her own hair and big glasses. She was carrying a big camera in her hands. Was she part of the photography major? But she isn't wearing the uniform. He bowed to her to apologize and she went on her way.
The previous performers went down the stairs of the arena, and it was time for Kyungsoo's and Chanyeol's show to begin.

The plan was simple, Kyungsoo memorized it to himself so many times that even now when his heart is racing out of control he knew exactly what to do.
When the audience became quiet Kyungsoo walked up on stage. The spotlight was tracking him and focusing on him when he stopped next to the middle of the platform in front of the microphone stand. All he could hear was his own heart drumming in his ears, and Baekhyun screaming his name a little too loud, making the audience turn their heads to see who was the source of the shout. A few students began whispering to each other surprised that quiet shy guy Kyungsoo came on stage with a microphone.

Kyungsoo looked forward at everyone, but couldn't see any faces due to the dazzling lights. The music began playing a few simple piano notes as an intro, before the beat joined in.
Kyungsoo began singing "Lil' Something" at the perfect time, the perfect pitch and the perfect vibe. As tense as he was, his groovy smooth notes and little hip shakes made the audience cheer from the very first verse.

When the chorus arrived, Chanyeol jumped on the stage from the other side, strumming his guitar and singing into the second standing microphone as Kyungsoo's second voice in harmony. At the moment Chanyeol was recognized there were loud screams and shouts coming from the audience. While the two were singing so passionately, glancing at each other from time to time and sneaking in smiles, the audience cooperated well with the energy and even got up from the chairs to go and cheer from right under the platform.

Kyungsoo's turmoil of emotions was forgotten at the moment Chanyeol joined him. He didn't think about anything. He kept looking at Chanyeol from time to time. Their eyes often met and only made them more excited. They had a spectacular performance together. And most importantly, they had fun.
Once the song ended and it was time for them to leave the stage, the two held hands together tightly and bowed down to the energized mob of people who were cheering for them enthusiastically right below their feet.
It was a solid success. Kyungsoo's mood was higher than he knew it could ever be.

---

The two remained behind the scenes until the end of the performances session. Chanyeol's crew began packing the special musical equipment they brought with their help, and the general energy calmed back down for the last part of the ceremony, the most important part - recieving the graduation scroll.
Kyungsoo and Chanyeol haven't said a word to each other. There was nothing they needed to say. All they did was look at each other and it already made wide smiles appear on their faces. It became time for Kyungsoo to return to his seat and wait for the graduates' names to be called out, but before he could leave the area Chanyeol grabbed his arm and pulled him outside through the emergency door at the back.

"Chanyeolie? What is it?" 

Kyungsoo was more worried than surprised or anything else. The giant was holding onto his wrist and looking down at the ground. His hair was covering most of his face so Kyungsoo couldn't tell what kind of facial expression he had.

"..Chanyeo--"
"Kyungsoo-yah."

Chanyeol's voice was sharp, and the way he suddenly raised his head and looked right into Kyungsoo's eyes was a little frightening. Kyungsoo thought that performing earlier was the moment his heart reached the peak of beating speed, but right now it felt like that pace was doubled.

"I.. I don't know if I can do this anymore." Chanyeol's voice was low and threatening, but also pained and emotional.
"What happened? I'm sure whatever it is will be alright. I can help." Kyungsoo tried to show confidence, but his voice was trembling.
"I just can't--..."

Chanyeol's grip on Kyungsoo's wrist tightened while his other palm bashed against the wall behind Kyungsoo. He leaned in and pushed Kyungsoo's body until his back nudged the cold bricks. Kyungsoo's eyes were darting in their sockets and his breath became unstable when Chanyeol's face appeared closer and closer. His eyes automatically began squinting until they were completely shut.
Kyungsoo's heart stopped when he felt warm lips against his own.

It is a kiss. Park Chanyeol is kissing him.

He lost connection with time and space. All he was, right now, are his lips. He couldn't move, he couldn't breath, he could only drown in the heat spreading all through his body and reaching even the very tips of his toes.
Chanyeol's warm breath blew against his skin and he thought that he is going to melt down to the ground when his lips started moving. Chanyeol pried open into his mouth and sent his tongue to work. Kyungsoo's subconscious returned the favour by collaborating with Chanyeol and the kiss became deeper and hotter. 
Kyungsoo felt a warm touch slowly caressing his neck and jaw, and his mind quickly translated the sensation to be caused by Chanyeol's big palm. They stood like this for an uncertain period of time, in which Kyungsoo felt like he was being devoured by Chanyeol, and while his brain was busy being mostly lost, Chanyeol's flavour made his body react on it's own. His one hand was still held by Chanyeol's tight grip, and the other made it's way up and over Chanyeol's shoulder and neck, pulling him closer.

It stopped, his mouth were released, and between his ecstatic shaky huffs, a tiny thread of saliva began sliding down from the corner of his lips. The big hand that was busy his cheek and chin made its way to the back of his head, and warmth spreaded from the touch on his forehead down to the rest of his body, giving him waves of peaceful energy. His eyes opened only a little, only enough to see that Chanyeol made their foreheads meet. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and without realizing, a smile started growing and curving the sides of his mouth upwards. He tried to fight it, but the smile won. 

Kyungsoo wasn't even sure if it was his own heart he was hearing or Chanyeol's.

---

The ceremoney ended. 
Kyungsoo indeed had a surprise waiting for him, he recieved a special additional certificate with his diploma for scoring the highest on his project in the major.
Many of his classmates congratulated him personally and encouraged him, telling him how much they enjoyed his performance today, and that he should probably audition for a company. He thanked them all sincerely, without mentioning that he will be having one the very next day.

CBX gave him the tightest group hug before kissing his head all together at the same time. It made him laugh so much and he gave each one a tight squeeze before they drove away.
Kris complimented Kyungsoo on his improved singing, and joked about how if he fails the audition, Kris himself would take him to china and work with him there.
Junmyeon was happily telling him how his project made the other professors so shocked that they began listening to Junmyeon and asking for his advise and opinion about the studies.
Last but not least, was Chanyeol, who stood by his side the entire time he greeted their group of friends goodbye. Many students gathered outside the stadium with their families in hopes of getting to meet Chanyeol from up close and maybe recieve an autograph.
Even though Kyungsoo tried to convince him that it would be a nice gesture, Chanyeol just smiled from ear to ear, wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder, and walked with him right into his car that was parked a little left from the gate.
They drove away quickly, before any more commotion would occur near the university. Neither of them were confused, nor doubtful, nor worried. There was a mutual understanding between them about the change in the nature of their relationship.

To celebrate the great day Chanyeol took Kyungsoo for the simplest of hang out places. A movie that they both agreed was not so great. An hour long bowling match where Chanyeol was so confident he would win, that when he ended up losing he nearly cried. And the very last attraction, dinner at the most humble family restaurant that had traditional korean meals.
Chanyeol gave Kyungsoo a ride home, and once they arrived his hand gently rested on top of Kyungsoo's. A smile was exchanged between them. They really needed no words to understand each other at this point.

"I will see you tomorrow at the audition Kyungsoo-yah. Will you go to your family right after?"
"Yes, I will be there at 10am. And I thought so, that means I would reach home at the afternoon."
"Right."
"Yeah."
"Kyungsoo-yah.."
"Yeah?"

Chanyeol leaned sideways, somehow untangled from the seatbelt, and pressed a warm kiss on Kyungsoo's side of the head. Kyungsoo smiled with shyness and did a little pucker with his lips towards Chanyeol as timid reply. The giant laughed and gave one last rub to the back of Kyungsoo's head before Kyungsoo left the car and waved goodbye.

---

[ Unlisted Number: Do Kyungsoo, you better watch your step. :) ]
[ Unlisted Number: -A few pictures of Chanyeol and him kissing outside the emergency exit in the university- ]
[ Unlisted Number: Wouldn't want these all over the news would you? :) ]
[ Unlisted Number: Forget him. :) ]