Magician

Beethoven

 

 

It's over. It's over before it even started.
Yesterday was Kyungsoo's best day in his entire life, and today he has to move on and forget it ever happened. It was the early morning when Kyungsoo realized he didn't close his eyes for a second during the night. His heart was just aching and there is nothing he can do about it. Kyungsoo wished he could just disappear from the face of earth right now.

He got up from his unsuccessful sleep and packed his bag slowly. Dragging his feet on the floor while walking around the apartment to gather the items he needs. While dressing up he wondered if he will even be able to stay in this apartment anymore. Chanyeol knows this address and he cannot risk putting Chanyeol's career in danger. Jealousy started brewing inside him when he thought about how lucky Kris and Junmyeon are for never getting exposed. 
Ah.. That's right. He won't be able to keep contact with his precious professor anymore either. Nor with CBX. 

Everything that he built in the past few months is falling apart.

His phone's alarm began beeping when it was time for him to leave to the studio for his audition. The audition he is going to skip.
Kyungsoo turned the alarm off, went out of the apartment and locked it behind him. Next time he comes back would be to evacuate it and move back home again until he finds a job. He walked quickly towards the train station, and even though his earbuds were stuck in his ears out of habit, no music was playing.
When the train to Goyang began moving he felt the phone buzzing in his pocket. After giving it a quick glance he noticed that thirty minutes passed after the time he was supposed to show up to the audition that functioned as a formal test but was actually a guaranteed success.

[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo-yahhh! Where are you? ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Are you still sleeping? Haha. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: That's alright, the director will be in the office all day so you can come when you wake up. ]

His heart began aching again. He felt like he is going to explode from guilt and regret, and at the same time he felt less than nothing. It's the difference between his calm mind and his hectic heart that are battling within him. He should have been more careful. He should have told Chanyeol to stop and pushed him away.. 

He should have stopped himself from falling for the perfect human being named Park Chanyeol, who's scent is still carved into his brain and flavour still lingers on his tongue.

The train has been in motion for an hour. Kyungsoo was finally starting to doze off to the creaking noises of the engine, since he still didn't play any music into the earbuds that are hanging in his ears. A buzz came from his pocket again.

[ Park Chanyeol: Really where are you? You are never late. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Is everything fine? Are you too nervous about the audition? ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Don't worry about it, I showed him our filmed performance from yesterday haha. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Yes, I asked Jongdae to film it! ]
[ Park Chanyeol: The director said all you need to do is come here, sing a little and then sign. ]

That's not it.. Chanyeol. Kyungsoo would gladly be there and sing and dance and do anything he is told if it means being able to work with his beloved giant. He would jump off this train and walk all the way back to Seoul if he needed to.

[ Unlisted Number: Good job Do Kyungsoo. I see you didn't show up to your plans with Chanyeol. :) ]

Kyungsoo's palms began shaking when he recieved the text from that person. He couldn't even check what was that phone's number since it wasn't showing. There is no way for him to find out who this person is. And even if he did have the number.. He couldn't just go to the police and show them the pictures of him and Chanyeol kissing. It might become even worse than it already is.

The more he thought about it the more he found it hard to hold back the tears that began gathering in his eyes. He has to just forget him. Just like the threats said. He hoped Chanyeol could do the same. It's fine. He will be with his family now for however long he wants and nothing can reach him there. He will cook with his mother and maybe create some art with his father and recover his hurting heart.

To: Dad
  -[ Sent: I reached the station, are you here?]
[ Dad: I'm right outside. ]

Kyungsoo took his silent earbuds out of his ears and shoved them into his pocket, and on his way out of the station he turned his phone off. It is better this way. It will hurt less. His father was indeed waiting for him in the car outside the station. And on the way home Kyungsoo already felt a little better. This is his own hideaway from everything that happened. He is safe and happy with his family.

Right after entering home he apologized to his parents for not bringing them anything from Seoul. But they both reassured him that the best gift is to just have him there. Kyungsoo showed them his diploma and the copy of his project's summary. He told them how happy he was these past months without mentioning a single word about the fact that he took care of Toben and met Chanyeol, CBX and even Kris Wu. He cooked with his mother and ate a pleasant dinner with the two of them. So this is how it's going to be now. Simple quiet life with his parents until he begins yet another life.

When lying down to sleep in his old bedroom he realized how tired his body really was after being unable to sleep at all the previous night. The only thing that could help him sleep is music, but his only music is.. Park Chanyeol. It's useless. He has to change his way of thinking completely to be able to survive. It will be fine. Tomorrow is another day. He will be visiting the Oh family neighbours to greet them after all this time, and then go to his favourite place in the city, the little park next to the mall.

---

When visiting the Oh residence Kyungsoo was surprised that their young son, his own good childhood friend Oh Sehun was present. When Sehun was called to come see the neighbours by his parents he was so shocked to see Kyungsoo standing there that he nearly launched himself at Kyungsoo for a hug from the top of the staircase. 

"Sehunie you're so tall!! What is this!" Kyungsoo called out with a chuckle.

The boy smiled so wide that his eyes disappeared. He tilted his head from side to side a few times before patting Kyungsoo's head with his palm. 

"I'm not so tall, you're just too short Hyung." Ah, even his voice got deeper.

Kyungsoo felt a sort of comfort by meeting his precious friend. After a quick sit down for some tea, Sehun joined Kyungsoo to a walk around the city. Just to remember what's around and hang out. When they reached the park by the mall he told Kyungsoo about the possiblity of himself becoming a model soon. Well, with Sehun's unrealisticly attractive body it makes sense he'd be modeling. Since Kyungsoo last saw him his shoulders became twice as broad, his legs became so long and his facial features and jaw line became sharper.

"Sehunah!" A familiar voice called out towards the two of them. A tall tan man ran to them with a basketball in his hands. Was it...?
"Kyungsoo?!" The guy rushed and looked at him surprised.
"It's good to see you again Jongin! How have you been?"

Kyungsoo stood up and went towards him, gently hugging around him with a smile. Jongin dropped his basketball and squeezed Kyungsoo in the hug with a huge happy smile that advanced into an excited laughter. Ah, Jongin really didn't change at all. 

"Hyung, what brings you back here after all this time?" Jongin asked after the three of them sat down at a small bubble tea shop. Kyungsoo clearly was the one who paid for his friends' orders as well.
"I just graduated, so I came back home for a little break until I find a job." Kyungsoo replied with a smile.

The mood was bright, yet the two of them could feel that something was wrong because Kyungsoo was being too timid, unlike his usual natural self that they remembered growing up with. They told him how Jongin was the first to enter the local modeling path thanks to his appearances in the dancing studio he has been attending since childhood. Kyungsoo was so proud of them. He was glad that Jongin pulled Sehun with him into dancing and modeling. Even if it's a tricky career that can be difficult, the two of them really are cut for it. They are both tall, handsome, friendly and bubbly, and of course, incredible dancers - which gives them the advantage of good health.

When Jongin and Sehun began talking about their dogs was when Kyungsoo's expression was noticeably saddening. Hearing about Sehun's Vivi being so lazy and obnoxious compared to Jongin's three active and excited curly dogs, made Kyungsoo remember Toben again. Of course the main source of his lonely feeling was because he missed Chanyeol, but Toben was the reason the two even got to know each other to begin with.

"Hyung.. what is with your face? You look like someone broke your heart." Sehun said softly with a worried expression and tapped Kyungsoo's shoulder.
"Yeah Kyungsoo, who did it? I will make them pay..!" Jongin stood up in his seat and punched into his own palm jokingly a few times before sitting back down with concern.

Kyungsoo chuckled half heartedly and then looked down at his own knees, his expression only becoming even more sorrowful. He took a breath to maintain his cool and after making the two promise that they won't say a word about the subject to anyone, he told them everything that happened from the moment he found Toben in the snowy park.
Jongin was looking directly at him with focus the entire time, his facial expressions changing according to the events that are being explained. Sehun was listening carefully while sipping on the very last bit of his bubble tea before grabbing Kyungsoo's unfinished one as well. Both of them were surprised when he told them about the threatening texts he recieved at the night of his graduation, and that he skipped the audition because of them.

Kyungsoo had a really hard time holding back his tears when he reached the end of the story, and clenched his hands into fists on his knees. Struggling to remain composed. Talking about it was a bit of a relief for him, but it was also extremely painful to think about how Chanyeol must be losing his mind right now out of worry. He hasn't spoken to him in nearly two whole days. And that's after he didn't show up to such an important audition that Chanyeol prepared just for him.

"This is just wrong! It's so unfair! That person must be crazy or something. Kyungsoo, you have to fix it. I will help you." Jongin said while holding onto Kyungsoo's hand tightly.
"That's right." Sehun added with a confident nod.
"Listen, the two of us always end up breaking our phones, so we know a good phone repair shop. We can take your phone there and maybe they could find the real number of the person who threatens you?" Jongin said while taking his own phone out of his pocket to show that it has many scratches and bumps.
"Ahh! That's right. He is like a magician. The phones always get fixed." Sehun agreed with Jongin and the two stood up.

They wrapped their arms around Kyungsoo's shoulders from both sides and walked back home with him locked in the sandwich like that. It didn't take long to return. Kyungsoo picked his turned off phone from his room and they were back outside on their way to the shop.
Out of curiousity and mostly worry Kyungsoo turned his phone on to check if any more messages came from the person who threatens him.

[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo, the director is leaving now. I am sorry, I tried to hold him off for you to show up. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Why aren't you answering me? You don't pick up either.. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Was it too much..? Did you.. hate it? I didn't mean to hurt you.. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo please! Let's meet and sort it out! ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Your apartment is empty..? I'm sorry, I borrowed the key from the building's landlord. Where are you? ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo?! Please answer! ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Something is wrong. I know it. ]
--
[ Kim Jongdae: Kyungsoo? Where are you? Chanyeol almost cried on the phone to us. ]
[ Kim Jongdae: We are worried too. Please let us know you are safe ASAP. ]
--
[ Byun Baekhyun: Did you run away? Chanyeol is freaking out. I think he lost his mind. ]
[ Byun Baekhyun: You missed the audition too?! Kyungsoo.. This is serious. ]
--
[ Kim Minseok: If anything happened please let us know. We can't reach you anywhere. Chanyeol is going crazy. He said it was his fault, but then changed his mind. What happened? ]
--
[ Kris Wu: CBX told me you are missing. I've sent some people to track your location. If you are able to read this, remember that it will be alright. ]
[ Kris Wu: I won't tell Junmyeon, I know you wouldn't want him to worry. Be safe. ]
--
[ Unlisted Number: You made the right choice. :) ]
[ Unlisted Number: I will keep the pictures safe until you move out of your apartment and disappear. :) ]

The phone was blasting with messages at the moment it got connection to the network. Kyungsoo read all the messages while tears started filling his eyes. He quickly wiped them away though. He noticed Sehun was glancing down at the screen when he read the messages so he moved it slightly closer to him to read better. They were nearly at the shop according to Jongin, so Kyungsoo opened the messages he recieved from the threatening person to show the 'Magician' that fixes his friends' phones.

"Are you sure it is a good idea..? There are--... these pictures.." Kyungsoo said nervously, speaking about the pictures of him and Chanyeol kissing.
"It is. Don't worry." Sehun looked closely at the pictures and then smiled smugly to himself. 
"Yeah, the owner's daughter is now in america to get married to her girlfriend." Jongin said with a reassuring smile and opened the door. 

It was a small shop crowded with mechanical devices and pieces all over the walls, shelves and anywhere they could be placed. There was a small desk in front of the door that leads to the back storage, an old man was sitting behind the desk and tinkering a sort of small remote. Ah, so that is the magician. Judging by his beard, he could be one for real.
Jongin went ahead and placed his palms on the desk in front of the man, Sehun kept his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder and walked closer while staring all around the applications.

"Welcome my young friend, did you throw your phone instead of the basketball again?" The man had a deep voice and a fatherly smile when he looked up at Jongin who replied by shaking his head.
"I have a serious issue this time.. I hope you can help us. It could be a little dangerous." Jongin was sincere. It's kind of rare to see him being this focused.
"A dangerous situation? Hmm." The man placed down the remote and turned to look at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo didn't recognize him. Did he ever visit this shop before?
"I assume it has something to do with this young man over here." The man guessed correctly, and Kyungsoo stepped forward. After slight hesitation he put the phone in the man's wrinkly palm.
"I recieved threat messages from an unlisted number. That person could ruin my friend's career. Can you find the number who sent them..?" Kyungsoo asked with a sad yet hopeful tone.
"I've had some cases like this before... To tell you a secret, I sometimes do these things for the police." Kyungsoo got the feeling that the man understood his desperation.
"If you have patience I could find you the number. These are very nice pictures they sent you, I'll make sure to keep them on your device. It'd be done by tomorrow." The man added with a little wink.

Kyungsoo felt like the hot balloon of anxiousness deflated in his stomach. He was so relieved. At the moment he has the number it would be a lot easier to get help. The number would lead them to the person who owns the pictures and that means they could be taken away from them and there wont be any material to blackmail Kyungsoo nor Chanyeol with. It's true that yesterday Kyungsoo was jealous of the fact that Kris and Junmyeon were never exposed, but after seeing how dangerous it is, he just feels happy that they never experienced it.

"Do you know any police officers we could talk about this to? Since.. its kind of.. sensitive. And most officers might make it bad..." Sehun suddenly spoke to the man, his arm not letting go of Kyungsoo's shoulder at all.
"Now that you mention it.. Have I told you I worked for the police on such cases before?" The man asked with a grin. Sehun nodded.
"Right, there is one officer who was moved here from the chinese department. When he came here to take the last phone I cracked he was kind enough to bring me some baked goods and a coffee. We sat here and spoke for a while before he left, but I can't remember his name." The man spoke while rubbing his messy beard.
"Ya'll will know who it is, he is young and looks like he is going to fall asleep all the time. Man the cookies he brought were gooood!" His belly began shaking when he laughed.
"A chinese officer... Thank you then." Sehun bowed his head with a bright smile that could capture the hearts of the whole nation.
"Thank you very much sir." Kyungsoo gave him a full 90 degrees bow before the three of them left the shop.

Sehun, Jongin and Kyungsoo spent the rest of the day together. They had a great dinner at a local restaurant that they remember from their childhood and each went to their own home in the neighbourhood. His phone will be returned by tomorrow, along with the real number of the person who threatens to harm Chanyeol. Kyungsoo wished he could tell it all to Chanyeol.. But if he makes any kind of contact with Chanyeol it might demolish his career. After he finds out who the person is, he will go to the police right away to try and find the chinese officer. 

Kyungsoo misses Chanyeol so much. Things might actually become better again. But Kyungsoo was still unable to sleep at night.