Leftovers

Beethoven

 

 

When Kyungsoo got back home that night his jaw was aching from the amount of time he spent talking with Chanyeol. He couldn't remember talking this much during his entire life. Nonetheless the smile stretching on his face indicated that he enjoyed every moment of it.
Both Chanyeol and him agreed that the movie wasn't much of a success, but the meal afterwards was just right, and the couple of hours they spent just sitting and chatting in Chanyeol's car felt like a couple of minutes. It wasn't awkward at all, even when they were both just quiet with each other, Kyungsoo felt at ease around Chanyeol. The time had passed so fast, and Kyungsoo felt like neither of them had enough time with each other. And the beeping of his phone suggested that this was a mutual thought between them.

 

[ Park Chanyeol: I forgot to ask you how I am saved in your phone? ]
  -[ Sent: I just named you the traditional way, 'Park Chanyeol'. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Waaah that's boring! I called you '#1 Ksoo'. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: -A screenshot of his conversation with Kyungsoo that shows the name- ]
  -[ Sent: Haha, that's embarrassing. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Toben sends you a good night again. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: So do I~! ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Just-- Without the HAHAHA. ]

 

Kyungsoo couldn't hold his laughter after the last text he recieved. Chanyeol was really more than he could have imagined. His personality is exactly the same as his way of texting. Bright like the sun, constantly smiling, and always sharing kindness. If Kyungsoo wouldn't have met Chanyeol, he would have thought it's a myth that people like this even exist at all. He would have never known how much more admireable his favourite musician is.
He really felt like the luckiest person alive. Even though these few hours they spent together weren't really enought for neither of them, it was clear that their friendship has been established for sure. Hopefully, since Chanyeol said that he has a few days off at home, they could meet again soon. Kyungsoo would have invited him over, but his apartment is so small and won't have much entertainment, he's just a simple nearly-broke university student after all.

 

To conclude their first night out together: It was fantastic!
Kyungsoo learned a lot more about Chanyeol and vice versa. He learned that Chanyeol lives on his own about seven blocks away - in the rich neighbourhood. Which is good news, because it means it will be easy for Kyungsoo to get there if he gets invited by any chance. He learned that Chanyeol shares his liking to Sprite, since they were simultaneously shocked to discover they both ordered the same drink at the movie theatre. He learned that Chanyeol is a little bit of a picky eater, but that he wouldn't decline trying out new flavours he hasn't tasted before.

 

Chanyeol said multiple times that he would definitely show Kyungsoo his studio when he can, and let him hear some of the demos. Ahh... Kyungsoo must have been someone incredible in his past life if he gets to recieve this much happiness in this incarnation. When they first started texting each other he felt like something was a little weird. Chanyeol spent so much time on him even though they barely knew each other, and Kyungsoo thought it's odd since Chanyeol must have other friends and people to talk to. But the more they spoke, he started to understand Chanyeol might have people around him, but none of them are like Kyungsoo.
He never thought that he was anything special, but Chanyeol really gave him confidence in himself - even complimenting his voice. He never recieved compliments regarding his voice before. It's not like he sang or anything, Chanyeol just said it out of the blue on one of their early calls.

---

A couple of weeks have passed. Chanyeol's songs have been playing in the radio several times a day, and the level of his popularity rose up higher than anyone anticipated. Making him one of the hot new rising stars in the industry.
The two of them met at every square of time they had free of plans. So far Kyungsoo couldn't yet find a single flaw in his now close friend Park Chanyeol. Maybe only the fact that he is easily swayed by the mood, or that he has a little bit of hard time speaking about things that burden him. But Kyungsoo was similar on that aspect. Even though the both of them dont know how to share their problems with each other, they do try. Not only to listen, but also to be there for each other when needed. Only two days ago Chanyeol had called him and spoke about the rough time he is having composing his music to be special yet fitting for his taste that would also somehow overcome the competing company's success.

Indeed a rough competition. The company that competes with his has the very successful trio called CBX. They can do everything! Sing, dance, rap, write their own songs and even participate in the composition. Chanyeol is having a hard time against them not only because of their musical success but also because, at least according to what he told Kyungsoo, he is also very good friends with them. Which makes it harder for him to try and win against the efforts they put into their career - because he feels proud and happy when they succeed.

[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo-yahhh..... I'm out of inspiration..... ]
  -[ Sent: What about Toben? You said he inspired you. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: He is just sleeping and eating lately... ]
[ Park Chanyeol: I know! You should come over! ]
  -[ Sent: Really? To your place? ]
  -[ Sent: But aren't there always paparazzi waiting? ]

It would be the first time Kyungsoo would visit Chanyeol's place. If he actually goes there. Isn't it going to cause Chanyeol trouble if a random normal citizen is seen entering his house? Kyungsoo has no connection to the music industry at all, other than his liking to Chanyeol's music and the fact that he enjoys singing to himself from time to time.

[ Park Chanyeol: I checked. There are, but so what? You're my friend. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: I don't think they'll do anything to a person they don't know. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Don't worry, I'll open the gate as soon as I see you arrive. ]
  -[ Sent: I will bring my material with me. I hope that's okay. ]
  -[ Sent: I need to work on the final thesis and it's almost April. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Of course!! Whaaa I'm excited! Come quick hahaha. ]

Sometimes Kyungsoo was wondering if Toben was the puppy, or if Chanyeol himself is the puppy between them. But either way he wouldn't mind. The amount of happiness these tiny and giant puppies bring him is addicting.
Kyungsoo packed his bag with all the books and papers he needed, stuck the earbuds in his ears, and went out. It was still very cold even though March is nearly ending. There was no snow around anymore, just pure cold and sometimes a rain here and there. More people were occupying the streets, but somehow the chilled weather made all the noises go numb. Kyungsoo never exactly liked winters, but he certainly enjoyed the peace and quiet that came with it.

It took him about 20 minutes to get to the correct address and as he thought, there were a bunch of people hanging around the street with cameras attached to harnesses around their necks. The paparazzi are here. Kyungsoo have watched television before, he knows how it is for celebrities when they go outside to do anything, even just buy a snack at a convenience store. He somehow felt a little sorry for Chanyeol. With a free spirit like his it must be no fun at all to stay caged at home because of them. Chanyeol and him spoke for hours about Chanyeol's hiking trips, skiing vacations and unique tourism experiences.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh, the closer he walked towards the fenced two story house the more eyes began tracking him. If anyone approaches him, he will just ignore them, that's the best way to deal with them. Kyungsoo grabbed the hoodie attached to his coat and pulled it up above his head, trying to cover his identity as much as possible. He got to the gate, the paparazzi photographers didn't bother him with questions, only gathered around him and took countless pictures of his marshmellow shaped coated body. 
Just like Chanyeol said, the gate opened with a buzz at the moment Kyungsoo touched the handle. He quickly got into the garden and shut the tall gate behind him with another sigh.

When Kyungsoo rose his eyes he saw a beautifully maintained grass garden with colorful flowers decorating the edges near the fences. The stone tiles of the path towards the house were a good addition to the natural vibe of the garden. The big wooden door of the house was open and at the enterance stood Chanyeol with a huge bright smile, holding tiny Toben in his big palms. He was wearing a big hoodie and simple training pants, and a pair of mismatching socks could be seen stretched above his house slippers.

"Haha, you look like a giant marshmellow everytime you wear this coat, love it." Chanyeol chanted out. 
"Hurry inside, I began boiling water!" He added before Toben joined in the chime with a few barks of his own.

Kyungsoo smiled from the warm welcome and after Chanyeol took his coat off for him, he released Toben back on the floor. The black fluff ran straight into Kyungsoo's spreaded hands and greeted him with enthusiastic dog kisses that made Kyungsoo feel at home already.

"The jerks outside didn't do anything to you, right? I'll call the cops on them if they dare." Chanyeol said from the kitchen's direction, his tone was filled with determination. It must really bother him that his every move is being tracked.
"No, they didn't do anything."

From the outside, the house is designed to look old fashioned. Covered in bricks, stones and some wooden decorations. But from the inside the house looked modern and trendy. There weren't many furnitures so it felt very spacious. Many music-related decorations could be spotted around. Pictures of instruments or actual players were hung on the walls, an old looking acoustic guitar was lying on the couch, and a small cabinet in the hallway showcased some trophies that Chanyeol won from his musical success.

Chanyeol made the both of them some hot cocoa, and after chatting and drinking together, invited Kyungsoo down the stairs into the basement where his studio is located. Kyungsoo grabbed his study bag and joined right behind him. Toben was left on ground level, a small children's barrier on the staircase was enough to block him from getting down. That's clever, to use such a thing to keep Toben safe at home. There was nothing in the house that could harm him, everything was so clean. Compare that to Kyungsoo's own tiny apartment where he was too scared to leave Toben alone by even closing his own bedroom's door. This is a much better environment for the pup to grow. At least in age, cause who knows if he'll ever become bigger in size.

"Welcome to my humble crib, Do Kyungsoo." Chanyeol smiled and bowed like a gentleman while opening the door to his studio. It was a pretty small room packed with various instruments everywhere, without sparing even the smallest space. There were at least 4 guitars, 2 pairs of keyboards, a station covered with many buttons and switches, and a corner table with two big screens and another keyboard. There was also a professional looking microphone attached to the mobile holding stick against the wall. Near the table stood a big office chair, a smaller one next to it, and 2 pairs of high quality headsets. Kyungsoo had no idea how all of this could logically fit into such a small space, but it did. And to give it a more personal touch Chanyeol even hung up a poster from an animation that he likes watching on the wall.

Kyungsoo was in awe, even in his best dreams he probably wouldn't have been able to afford that much musical equipment. But this is what musicians do. It's kind of a given that for the sake of producing music in good quality you'd need to spend a lot for the proper devices.

"This is... incredible. I imagined it would take a lot, but not this much." Kyungsoo finally expressed himself.
"Haha, what I have here is heaven compared to what I had when I just started. It took years of work to achieve! And it's all thanks to the fans and supporters.. I'm really thankful." Chanyeol's tone was warm and honest.

Kyungsoo looked up at him and smiled, even though he never worked with music before, seeing this many options to create with inspired even him.

"I don't know how you can lose your inspiration with so many tools to use.."
"Hey, it isn't easy to come up with something spectacular." Chanyeol huffed and sat down to the big office chair, spinning around once before stopping right in front of the computer screen.
"Let me show you some of my newest demos!" He cheered and went through the folders on the harddrive.

Kyungsoo sat down carefully on the other smaller chair and began taking out his study materials. Since there isn't any space on the table, he just sat crossed legged with his feet under his own ankles, and placed his paper on the book for a hard support. He slid out a pen from the bag's little pocket and was about to begin writing before the music started playing.

His eyes raised towards the screen, and he saw the music tracks of each instrument in a different color in the special program. It looks like so much work to combine all of them and create something new. It was amazing! A new audio from Park Chanyeol himself that nobody else has ever heard before. Kyungsoo was speechless, he wanted to compliment Chanyeol and encourage him, cheer him on, but before he was able to open his mouth to comment - Chanyeol began singing.

Right there, right in front of him, sitting next to him in the office chair in the little studio. Kyungsoo suddenly felt overwhlemed when he realized the position he was in. How did it come to this, how did he become his own favourite artist's best friend? 
Chanyeol sounded so good.. He sounded better than in his released music. He sounded so good and looked so good. There was a small smile on his lips while he sang, and Kyungsoo felt the positive energy emitting from him - he was doing something he loved. Kyungsoo's heart filled with warmth and he put the pen down, leaned back in the chair and let himself be drifted away into the melody and into Chanyeol's mesmerizing deep voice.

Hours passed by like seconds. The two of them had an amazing experience together. Chanyeol showed Kyungsoo so many new things about music, he sang for him, played for him, and even let him play a little bit on his own. Even though they were energized, and there were no windows since it's a basement, Kyungsoo could feel his body slowly becoming tired. He glanced at the clock on the screen of the computer and his eyes opened widely.

"It's already this late? I have class tomorrow--.. ah..." Kyungsoo sighed like a mourn. He should have watched the time more carefully. Not only did he make no progress with his project whatsoever, time also betrayed him. 
"Ooh.. It is pretty late." Chanyeol also seemed surprised when he realized how many hours have passed.
"I tell you what, I'll heat up some leftovers for dinner, and give you a ride back home. How does this sound?" He suggested with a convincing proud smile. How is Kyungsoo supposed to say no? Even if he feels bad that it somehow became Chanyeol's fault that he tries to pay back with a ride.
"Deal." Kyungsoo agreed with a small smile as well. All he can do is be thankful. Chanyeol really would save him a lot of trouble by giving him a ride home.

The two went back upstairs, got greeted by a sleepy Toben, and headed to the kitchen. It was, just like the rest of the house - spacious. Kyungsoo sat down to the counter island that faces the working space of the kitchen and watched how apron-wrapped Chanyeol starts up the gas to reheat the food. 

Really, is there anything this guy cannot do? So far Chanyeol showed that he can:
Sing, Rap, Play any sort of instrument, Take care of little pets, Cook, Be a handsome gentleman, Be an amazing friend, and make Kyungsoo smile.
It made Kyungsoo wonder what Chanyeol even sees in him that he allowed a boring nobody like Kyungsoo get this much space in his heart to the level of best friend. But he shouldn't think this way. Even if he can't see it himself, the fact that Chanyeol chose him for this position must have a meaning.
His mind quickly shifted back to reality when the smell of the food started to fill his nose. So good.. Honestly, it was perfect. Kyungsoo loves cooking, and he knows his food. Chanyeol was definitely a good cook. Add that description to the list of things Chanyeol is. They ate together while chatting, Chanyeol explained Kyungsoo about his upcoming activites and they agreed that Chanyeol is allowed to call Kyungsoo at any time when he feels undermotivated. Kyungsoo doesn't mind. He is busy with his project, but there is only one lesson a week now in the university, so he is pretty much available to talk at any other time.

After greeting sleepy Toben goodbye the two went through the back door into the garage. Ah, so that's where Chanyeol kept his car. At a late hour like this, there were no paparazzi photographers outside, so after exiting the garage Chanyeol stayed parked right next to his own house to let the heater warm the car a little more. Kyungsoo was calmly watching outside the window at the neighbourhood, so different from his own. It's a whole other level of lifestyle in here. The gate of the house across from Chanyeol's opened, and Kyungsoo watched how a long coated tall man walked outside, followed by a slightly shorter long coated man.
Hey, they look familiar.

Kyungsoo blinked in disbelief. It was his professor Kim Junmyeon walking the tall man outside. The tall man who owns the expensive car, the tall man he kissed in the snow, the tall man who was holding onto his waist and making him smile. 
Kyungsoo's heart began thumping faster, and Chanyeol noticed the shocked expression on his friend's face right away.

"Kyungsoo-yah? What is it?"
"It's.. It's my professor out there." Kyungsoo poked the window to point at Junmyeon standing outside. 

He was wearing his fancy coat, but clothes that looked too homey for him to wear outside. He even had slippers on. That must mean that house belongs to him. Does that mean the tall man was there for a visit?

"Ahh, Kim Junmyeon? I saw him around a few times. He is really nice." Chanyeol smiled, he leaned closer to Kyungsoo, nearly hovering over his shoulder to look at the two standing outside from the same angle as him.
"Yes.. This man with him, do you know who it is? I've... I've seen them...." Kyungsoo asked Chanyeol and began stumbling on his words without turning his head to the other. It made him shy to even think about what he saw his professor and this man doing back then. He didn't even notice how much closer Chanyeol was hunched over him.
"Are you kidding me? That's Kris-- like, Kris Wu? Wu Yi Fan? One of the biggest personalities in China since last year.. He's a pretty good rapper, I listen to his songs sometimes. I heard he's planning to start acting soon too." 

Chanyeol's deep voiced reply startled Kyungsoo from how little space was suddenly left between Kyungsoo's own ear and Chanyeol's mouth. It sent a shiver down his spine and caused his lips to change into a pout before he poked his finger right into Chanyeol's side. Not realizing that his cheeks and ears have gotten a pink hue.

"Y-Yah!! What was that for!" Chanyeol jumped and began laughing, leaning back into his driver seat and raising his arms in a protective way against Kyungsoo in case more poking attacks would be sent at him. 
"Nothing." Kyungsoo replied. His response was just too amusing, almost like a cartoon, that it made Kyungsoo spring out a small giggle.
"Let's go." 
"Yessir!" Chanyeol obliged and pressed the gas.

Kyungsoo turned his head back to Junmyeon and Kris. His heart began beating even faster when he saw how Junmyeon's hands were holding Kris' cheeks to kiss him, and Kris' own hands were wrapped tight around Junmyeon's waist. It is so weird! Too weird! But why does it make Kyungsoo feel so shy and fidgety. He gave Chanyeol a small glance. Good, he was too busy driving to notice how Kyungsoo was covering his own mouth with his hand all embarrassed.

"Thank you, Kyungsoo-yah. I owe you one yet again." Chanyeol winked at him after he got out of the car and reached the pavement. 
Kyungsoo shook his head and smiled, raising his arm and waving gently at the smiley giant that drove him back home. 

Today ended up being an amazing day. Even though Kyungsoo started feeling a little guilty while showering because he wasn't able to work on his project almost at all. That's alright, he still has time. Two whole months until it's all over and he will finally graduate and begin his adult life.
He layed down to bed, the buds in his ears as usual.

  -[ Sent: Your house is great. I had fun today. Thank you. ]

That's the least he can do. He wished he could start the same day all over again to experience it all once more. The response to his message came quicker than he expected.

[ Park Chanyeol: I should be the one thanking you! ]
[ Park Chanyeol: You sparked back my inspiration by just being there. Haha. ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Good luck in class tomorrow, and good night Kyungsoo-yah. ]
  -[ Sent: Next time I come over let's cook something together. Good night. ]

Kyungsoo rolled to his side and felt his facial muscles forming a smile without his instructions. He the music and closed his eyes.
Park Chanyeol's cover of 'Hug Me'.