Selfie

Beethoven

 

 

The days passed, Kyungsoo was nearly done with the lengthy assignment. Technically speaking, the work was done. The only thing missing was the list all the sources and to write his own opinion about the whole thing. To get all the sources he used he'd have to go to the library again and check his borrowing history at the reception. For his opinion.. Well.. What is his opinion? It's true that he has been working on it for so long, but his mind was constantly floating somewhere else. Hovering around a very tall, very handsome man and his tiny curly puppy. 

He will just have to force something out. It's just an opinion so it won't be graded and wouldn't change anything even if left as a short paragraph. Kyungsoo doesn't even know how the weather is outside right now, since he huddled himself into a coccoon of blankets and cushions and didn't leave his apartment from the day he last saw Chanyeol. He had no idea why, but both Baekhyun and Jongdae started texting him as well. Baekhyun mainly sent pictures of his outfits and some selfies and asked for Kyungsoo's opinion, while Jongdae was talking about his vocal training and schedule. Jongdae seemed to be trying to bring Kyungsoo closer into the music world. Did he notice something about Kyungsoo's voice that Kyungsoo himself wasn't aware of? Chanyeol complimented him on the exact same thing before.

The good news were that the two of them spoke every night. Chanyeol instructed Kyungsoo into downloading a special application on his smartphone where they could call with the camera on. Kyungsoo still doesn't exactly understand how it works, and often ends up answering it like a normal call. Everytime that happens Chanyeol has a laughing fit for at least a whole minute before reminding Kyungsoo about the camera. The giant is now in HongKong. Staying in a luxurious room at a 5 star hotel. Yesterday night he showed Kyungsoo around the room. 

It was a room bigger than Kyungsoo's own apartment. A spacious relaxation area with a couch and television, a huge double bed and a whole jacuzzi for a bathtub. The view was amazing from his room as well. The windows were as tall as the wall itself and through them the whole city looked like it was glowing at night. Chanyeol kept repeating how on his next tour he will definitely take Kyungsoo with him. Of course he will. Kyungsoo wished it was true, but there is no way he will ever be able to afford such a trip anywhere. He would have LOVED to go with Chanyeol on his journey around the world and create memories together.

[ Unknown Number: Do Kyungsoo. If you don't wish for trouble, get out and enter the black car parking in front of your building. ]

Kyungsoo's phone beeped at an unlikely time for Chanyeol to be available. His eyes widened when he read the text. What the hell.. What is this? Is he being threatened? By whom? And Why?
He sprung up on his feet and leaned onto the window. His apartment was facing the street, so when he looked down through the shutters, a black car was really parked right by the building's enterance. Uh Oh.. If he goes down he might be in grave danger, he has no idea what anyone can threaten him about. But if he doesn't go down there is a change whoever is in that car will come up to him and possibly harm the project he spent months on. Kyungsoo really hasn't done a single thing that will cost him his life, so whatever it may be, is probably less horrible than the possibilities that his imagination began thinking of.

After standing frozen in thoughts for a while Kyungsoo saved his project, kept a copy in his underwear drawer and took the other copy with him. He dressed up and grabbed only a hoodie this time, without a coat. It's already May so it shouldn't be as cold anymore. He locked the apartment behind him, and while going down the stairs he pressed the police's number on his dial '112'.
When he stepped outside he could take a better look at the car. All the windows except for the driver's window were darkened, and the driver was an unfamiliar old man that didn't even look towards the building's direction. So the person who contacted him must be sitting at the back seat. Kyungsoo's hands were shoved in the hoodie's pockets and his finger was ready to ring up the police at any moment. As he got closer to the car in slow careful steps the black window started rolling down.

Hey.. This man looks familiar..?
Kyungsoo fixed his glasses once before getting right next to the car. The man sitting in the car was no other than Kris Wu. 

"Get inside, we need to talk." His deep voice made Kyungsoo unable to decline. He walked around, sat inside and closed the door. He was a lot less frightened when he realized it was his professor's boyfriend.

Kris was sitting inside, wearing a long thin black coat and holding a bottle of water. There was no music playing, and the car didn't even start driving anywhere. What is this all about? How did Kris even find his address? Or his number? Chances are, it was through Junmyeon.

"Three little birds have told me that they've met a specific student who knows a little too much." Kris began speaking. He tried to speak lowly and in a threatening tone, but to Kyungsoo it felt like he was trying way too hard and it wasn't convincing. He understood who were the birds and what the subject of this whole situation is right away.
"Listen, Kris-- You are Kris Wu, right?" The man responded by raising his eyebrow.
"I know you are close to my professor, I don't mind. It's weird yeah, but I saw that you made him really happy and.. I know he is always struggling because of the way he's perceived so.. You shouldn't worry. I won't tell anyone." Kyungsoo said and huffed out, stretching his arms in front of him.
"Oh, and-- You really should stop trying to be scary." Kyungsoo added in a bit of a teasing tone while turning to look at the other.

At first there wasn't any visual response, but eventually Kris just let out a long sigh and rubbed the back of his head. Kyungsoo could tell that he was planning to apologize.

"No need for an apology. It's fine. I know it can be a big thing if the news get out."
"You saved me a lot of trouble actually. Do Kyungsoo." Kris said and allowed himself to sneak a smile. 
"Now I have a lot of time left. I was planning to pick Junmyeon to lunch with CBX. But since I've already made you come here, would you want to join?" His tone was so different than in the beginning. He was speaking softly instead of trying to act like a tough guy.

In all honesty, Kyungsoo would rather go right back to his apartment and finish his assignment with one last push. But when he started thinking about the quality of the food these rich people will be consuming his stomach announced out loud that the choice is clear.

"I didn't bring my wallet thoug--"
"That's fine. I'll pay for you. I owe you anyway."

How does every one of these rich celebrities end up owing him something? On the drive to Junmyeon's house Kyungsoo switched his seat to the back row by himself. Since when Junmyeon enters he would most likely wish to sit next to Kris. He also added Kris' number as a contact on his phone. So now he has the numbers of the whole bunch except for Minseok that hasn't contacted him yet. The world is really way too small.

Junmyeon was surprised to see Kyungsoo in the car with Kris. Clearly. Who would have guessed he'd be there really. But instead of being awkward about it Junmyeon seemed to be extremely happy that Kyungsoo has his and Kris' backs on the matter. So even though Kyungsoo knew about the two of them, Junmyeon really had no clue he knew. That only gave Kris another valid reason to trust Kyungsoo in keeping the relationship a secret to the public. Even the restaurant they arrived to was completely isolated from everything else. It was located at the edge of the city right next to a big forest and there were only 3 cars parked next to it. One of them most likely belonged to CBX, it looked like a truck rather than a car, and the other two probably belonged to the staff of the restaurant.

Stepping behind the couple who walked in front of him, Kyungsoo entered and felt like a foreigner all of a sudden. It was such a small place yet it felt like the most fancy establishment Kyungsoo has ever set a foot in. An old yet well nurtured woman took the couple's Coats. She suggested Kyungsoo to take off his hoodie, but he had a simple black shirt underneath and that would be too cold.

The private restaurant was made out of wood except for the floor that was made of black quarts tiles. The walls looked like actual tree trunks. Even the ceiling was made of wood planks, and from it a big crystal chandeliers hung in the middle of the dining area. The table was covered in a pearl white table cloth and there were whine glasses next to each set of cutleries. To the table three other guests were already sitting and chatting. Baekhyun's red hair looked a little faded, and Minseok's flame colored hair was now dyed in green. They were all wearing formal attires..

And there was Kyungsoo. Not only was he wearing simple jeans and a boring grey hoodie, he also had his big glasses on. He assumed he looked like he just got out of bed. Regardless of his appearance, the trio seemed to be delighted that he joined their meal. Jongdae got up with a wide smile and gave Kyungsoo a gentle hug before leading him to sit down between himself and the wall.
It took Kyungsoo a while to overcome his own embarrassment of coming to a place this elegant with such a simple plain outfit. Well, it's not like he planned to be here. Technically, he wasn't even supoosed to be there at all. 

Everyone knew each other at the table, and it made it easier for him to fit in. He knew Kris the least, but the vibe he gives right now when he's being himself is so different than what he gave off at the car earlier. It really doesn't fit him to be the 'tough guy'. His real self is kind and caring, honest and goofy. Everything Kris does makes Junmyeon smile and Kyungsoo felt how much peace it brings him.

After getting over the whole 'I wasn't ready' anxiousness Kyungsoo finally started having a good time. Minseok and Jongdae were talking with him a lot while Baekhyun was mainly with Kris and Junmyeon. The food was incredibly delicious and he may or may have not drank a little bit more wine than his body could handle.

---

When Kyungsoo opened his eyes the next morning he found himself wearing the same clothes he left with, lying tucked in bed. His head was aching, and a quick check of his phone was enough to reveal what he couldn't remember any of what happened yesterday.

[ Park Chanyeol: Kyungsoo-yaah, why won't you answer? ]
[ Park Chanyeol: Ksoooo 😞 ]
[ Park Chanyeol: 😢 ]
[ Park Chanyeol: 😢 😢 ]
--
[ Byun Baekhyun: -A video message- ]
[ Byun Baekhyun: You rocked it Kyungsoo!! Haha. ]
--
[ Kim Jongdae: Don't forget to let me know when you want to work on it with me! ]
--
[ Unknown Number: Heyo Kyungsoo it's Minseok. I didn't know if I should blurr out your face so I posted the picture on instagram. Let's go for another round next time! ]
--
[ Prof. Junmyeon: I allowed myself to check your project when I brought you back. I think you'll be very pleased with the grade you'll get once you turn it in. ]

WHAT. THE. HELL. Happened last night?!

After getting up and carefully waddling to the kitchen to get himself some water Kyungsoo sat down on his small couch and gulped - clicking on the video Baekhyun sent him.
The video showed Kyungsoo and Jongdae in a karaoke room singing their souls out while Junmyeon is happily clapping next to them. The shot gets cut off, and then back on to show Kyungsoo and Minseok standing in front of a basketball machine similar to one of a gaming arcade and throwing balls with intense concentration. Kyungsoo's score somehow surpassed Minseok's by one point and when Baekhyun and Jongdae are heard laughing from behind the camera, Kyungsoo and Minseok are wrapping themselves with the arcade tickets like necklaces and taking a selfie together. The camera then turns to show Baekhyun's face.
"Thank you for a great time!!"
Baekhyun winked with a peace sign and the video ended.

Kyungsoo's head fell backwards on the couch and he let out a long sigh. So they have now become this close.. Well. It is extremely embarrassing, but it could have been worse. Kyungsoo has never been drunk before, so the headache that kept lingering was really unpleasant. He brought his phone upwards into sight instead of lowering his head, and searched up Minseok's instagram. Indeed a picture with his face was there.
Ah, so that's the picture they took at the arcade. Both of them are smiling goofily with the arcade ticket chains wrapped around their necks. Kyungsoo's lips curled into a smile. The picture was actually really adorable.

He wondered what would be the implications of Minseok posting a picture with him on social media. The CBX trio are the hot stars in Korea right now. Will he start being recognized by all of the paparazzi as well? That'd be a pain when he will go visit Chanyeol again. 

To: Byun Baekhyun
  -[ Sent: Thank you for treating me well Baekhyun. ]
--
To: Kim Jongdae
  -[ Sent: You mean singing, right? When I finish the project I will be free. ]

Kyungsoo felt a little nervous about it all. He enjoyed singing to himself, especially as a secondary voice in Chanyeol's songs. But he never sang in public - until yesterday night that is. He knew that he lacks a lot. That's why he was troubled by the thought of meeting with Jongdae and possibly disappointing him. Of course it would be fantastic if he would really be able to create a path into the music industry. When he just met Chanyeol he didn't even think about such an option. But now after he has become a friend to such amazing idols he feels out of place on that subject. Maybe just a single.. Or a few songs. Nothing more. Just to feel what it's like to work in the field.

But before that he has to figure out if he's ready for it skill-wise. Will his recently dicovered talent be enough to work with? If both Chanyeol and Jongdae complimented him on his voice it must mean there is something in him that can shine. The thought excites him. What if he will be able to work with Chanyeol? Or in the same company as the CBX trio? That way he could stay with them for a long time and for a good reason. It'll be a friendship that built on true connection.

To: Kim Minseok
  -[ Sent: The picture turned out cute. Thank you Minseok. ]
--
To: Prof. Junmyeon
  -[ Sent: I'm sorry for the trouble of bringing me back. I will turn the assignment in on the next lesson. ]
--
To: Park Chanyeol
  -[ Sent: I met Kris Wu and CBX yesterday. I got back late and missed the calls. Sorry Chanyeolie. ]

---

As promised, Kyungsoo turned in his full project at class. Only him and three other students managed to finish their assignments this fast. These were really exhausting months. Exhausting but productive. After Junmyeon's message about his project he gained confidence and finished it with a smile. He was so motivated by the encouragement that he ended up rewriting the whole opinion chapter - which ended up lasting three pages instead of four paragraphs.

At the moment Kyungsoo left the class after turning in his final thesis as a university student, he called Jongdae. The two of them met several times in CBX's private studio located next to their dorm. Even though these meetings of singing were supposed to be only for the two of them, when Baekhyun and Minseok found out about the sessions they just HAD to join as well. Kyungsoo learned a lot about singing thanks to the two legendary vocals, and his improvement was immense even in such a short period of time.

Kyungsoo didn't forget to answer Chanyeol's calls every night either. Hearing about his experiences with the fans and all the amazing presents he keeps recieving. Chanyeol also accidentally mentioned that he actually bought a present for Kyungsoo from each of the countries he has been to. Kyungsoo scolded him for wasting his energy and money on such silly things, but deep inside he was so happy to hear that Chanyeol misses him just as much as he misses Chanyeol. He hasn't told Chanyeol about the fact that he is having singing sessions with the CBX trio yet.

Tomorrow evening Chanyeol will finally be back!
Kyungsoo cleared out the entire day for preparations. Today he bought all of the needed ingredients for the meal he plans to cook and bring over. He even spread out the clothes that he would be wearing, just in case he will be too nervous to be able to combine his wardrobe into an outfit that looks decent. Without telling anyone, not even Jongdae, Kyungsoo practiced how to a sing a song specifically for Chanyeol. So he could perform it in front of him when he returns, just to show his appreciation.

Kyungsoo already spoke with Toben's petsitter that stayed in Chanyeol's house to take care of the pup while his owner was away - to make sure that she'll open the gate for him when he arrives tomorrow to prepare for Chanyeol's arrival.

"I can't wait for tomorrow Kyungsoo-yah. I miss you and Toben so much."
"Don't worry, I checked on him from time to time. The petsitter said that he is doing fine."
"Kyungsoo-yah, will you be there when I come back?"
"...Why do you keep ruining the surprise for yourself..." Kyungsoo sighed into the phone and heard a rustle of bedsheets from the other side of the line.
"Waaaah that made me miss you even more!!" He could hear Chanyeol was smiling so widely. The contagious happy virus spread to him even through the phone it seems, because Kyungsoo ended up smiling as well.
"Kyungsoo-yah."
"Mmh?"
There was a pause of silence.
"Toben sends you a good night kiss!" Chanyeol's voice sounded nervous.
"What? But Toben isn't there with yo--"

The call ended. How could Chanyeol know if Toben sends him kisses if Toben wasn't even there with him. What did he mean? Maybe he just said it as a habit.
That night Kyungsoo fell asleep while listening to Park Chanyeol's own "Good Night Song" that he once broadcasted on a live stream.