004

Silent Sorrows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

004

 

Author’s POV

            Jiyeon arrived at the hospital two hours earlier than she should be. Her night shift would begin at ten but she was already there at eight. Instead of her department, Jiyeon went straight to a room, which was a ward Myungsoo was in. He was admitted yesterday allegedly for suicide attempt and had yet to wake up since then, making Jiyeon becoming restless for the whole day, unable to keep her compose. She rushed to the hospital earlier because something inside was urging her to do so. She entered the ward and painstakingly made her way to the bed where Myungsoo was still out of conscious. She stood by him while her eyes were fixed on Myungsoo’s pale face.

“Why are you like this, Myungsoo? Is life hard?” Jiyeon muttered while holding her tears. Her eyes trailed down to his left wrist that was covered with bandage.

She instinctively reached out to his hand at the side and slightly squeezed it as she held it. “Please wake up now Myungsoo. Wake up and tell me what’s happening to you. I’m ready to hear everything. Wake up and let all of the burdens out.” Jiyeon said half whispering.

Before her tears could fall, someone suddenly opened the door behind her. Jiyeon quickly calmed herself down as a doctor and a nurse came in. She smiled at them as they greeted her.

“Are you a family?” The doctor asked.

“She’s Kim Myungsoo’s friend, doctor. She’s from the pharmacy.” The nurse answered on her behalf, which Jiyeon recognized as the nurse she met the night Myungsoo was admitted.

“Yes. I’m Park Jiyeon.” Jiyeon stood up and shook hands with the doctor and the nurse.

“By the way Jiyeon-ssi, do you know his family? We tried contacting his mother’s number but the call didn’t get through.”

“I don’t know any of his families. But I do know where his father works. I’ll visit him later and inform him about Myungsoo.” Jiyeon offered.

“Thanks. We truly appreciate your help.” The attending doctor thanked.

“But, I need your help to. Here’s my phone number. Please contact me as soon as Myungsoo gained his conscious.”

“Sure.”

 

----------------------

 

            Jiyeon walked into the big building where the staffs seemed too busy doing their works to care about anyone around them. She looked around, lost, when she finally saw the person she’s looking for. Chanyeol was seen approaching while excitedly waving his hand in the air. Jiyeon waved back as she advanced towards him. As soon as they met, Chanyeol grabbed both her hands and pulled her into a brief hug. Jiyeon slightly giggled as the first thing her boyfriend did is hugging her although there were so many people around.

“I miss you so much. Not seeing you for a while make you look a lot prettier than you always be. Do you miss me?” Chanyeol cutely smiled as he asked her.

“Of course I miss you.” Jiyeon pinched both sides of Chanyeol’s cheeks, “It can’t be helped since we’re both busy with our works.”

“At least there’s an excuse for us to meet now. Luckily I can be regarded as an important person in this company so fulfilling your request of meeting my boss isn’t that hard. But why do you need to see him again?” Chanyeol asked as he led Jiyeon to the escalator.

“There’s something I need to discuss with him about my high school friend, his son Myungsoo.”

“Oh! Myungsoo-ssi. Alright then. Wait a second.” Chanyeol told as they stopped in front of a big door to a room. He went in first leaving Jiyeon outside and he appeared again within a minute, “Come in. He’s waiting for you.”

Jiyeon nervously nodded before she made her way inside tailing Chanyeol closely behind. A charismatic looking man in his fifties was seen sitting on a luxurious couch reading a file. They stopped a few feet in front of him and Jiyeon quickly bowed down, obviously anxious. She could hear a small chuckle coming from him as he put down the file onto the table and looked at her.

“What can I help you with? Must be something important that you have to ask Chanyeol’s help to meet me.” He asked as his eyes were set on Jiyeon.

“I am Park Jiyeon, your son’s friend in his old high school, and also a pharmacist in a hospital he’s in right now. I need to ask you a few questions if you don’t mind.” Jiyeon uttered the words so nervously as if they were prearranged beforehand.

“I see. Chanyeol, you can leave first.” He ordered and Chanyeol had no choice but to obey him. As soon as he disappeared outside, the old man’s eyes shifted back towards Jiyeon, “Please take a seat, Jiyeon-ssi.”

“Thank you.” Jiyeon bowed again before she settled on a coach on the left side, “First of all sir, I’m so sorry for coming so suddenly. The hospital tried calling Myungsoo’s mother but the call didn’t seem to get through so I figured I could come here to inform. Do you know he’s admitted to the hospital in his attempt to commit suicide?” Jiyeon began asking without wasting any time.

“He’s my son. Of course I knew it. I’m sorry I couldn’t visit him there because of work. How is he now?” He asked.

“Still unconscious. It’s okay. You’re the president of the company, of course the commitment you have to carry is bigger than anyone else. But if you don’t mind, can I ask you a few things about Myungsoo?” Jiyeon dared herself to extend the conversation to her own curiosity.

“Sure, as long as it’s something I can answer.”

Once he agreed, Jiyeon began her first question, “I heard from the housekeeper that he’s somewhat suffering of something but the doctor said he’s normal and there’s nothing wrong with his health. What’s actually happening to him that he actually tried killing himself twice already?”

“He suffered depression since six years ago. He was sent abroad for treatment.”

“Six years ago… that was around the time he transferred school... right?”

“Yes. I don’t know where the hospital found his mother’s contact number, but my wife died a few months before he transferred school because of a cancer. That’s the reason of his depression.”

Upon hearing the explanation, Jiyeon was somehow speechless to receive such shocking information about Myungsoo’s mother. She never knew about his mother, or now that she thought about it she never knew about his family at all although she was his girlfriend. She was too surprised to say anything upon hearing the news. Myungsoo’s father smiled bitterly before he finally talked.

“I think you found out much now. I’m sorry but I have to end our meeting here. Hope to see you again later.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

Jiyeon briefly thanked him as he led the way to the door. Jiyeon bowed down for one last time before she left the room. She took heavy steps to the escalator as she was lost in her own thoughts, trying to comprehend the situation. She didn’t even notice that Chanyeol was walking next to her since the moment she came out from the room just now. Without her knowing, she almost thoughtlessly stepped on the escalator without looking but Chanyeol managed to grab and pull her, preventing the dangerous situation.

“Be careful Jiyeon!” Chanyeol yelled as he hauled her.

Jiyeon regained her conscious looked at Chanyeol with a surprised face, while her boyfriend looked rather tense, “Chanyeol, thanks.”

“Who knows what could’ve happened if I didn’t decide to wait for you just now. Are you okay? Something is bothering you?” Chanyeol gave her a concern gaze, genuinely worried.

“No. I’m okay.” Jiyeon shot an assuring smile as she answered him. Out of the blue, Jiyeon’s phone rang. She took it out from her bag and answered it although it’s an unknowing number, “Hello.”

“Can I talk to Park Jiyeon?”

“It’s me talking.”

“I’m the nurse from ER. I just wanna inform you that your friend Kim Myungsoo just gained his conscious.”

“He did?! Alright. I’ll be there as soon as possible.”

Once she ended the call, Jiyeon quickly ran down the escalator leaving Chanyeol stunned when his girlfriend suddenly left without any proper explanation. Jiyeon arrived at the hospital almost one hour later due to traffic jam. She ran straight to Myungsoo’s ward as if she would lose him if she’s late even for a second. Jiyeon dashed into the room, but no one was there. Still panting, she made her way to the ER reception where she saw the nurse that contacted her.

“Kim Myungsoo… where is he?” She asked while panting.

“Jiyeon-ssi, I’m sorry. His family doctor came and request for a discharge. They left after settling the payment like ten minutes ago. I told Kim Myungsoo that you are coming, but he didn’t say anything and leave anyway. I’m so sorry.” The nurse shot an apologetic gaze.

“It’s fine.” Jiyeon curled a bitter smile, “It’s not your fault. Thanks anyway.”

Jiyeon took heavy steps exiting the ER. Because her legs were familiarized with taking the corners to the pharmaceutical departmen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter