010 - Kim Myungsoo

Silent Sorrows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

010

 

 

Author’s POV

*Almost seven years ago*

Myungsoo walked home after getting off the bus from school that day with a very big smile on his face. He had never been this excited in his life before. His mind keep replaying the moment Jiyeon accepted him as her boyfriend. He could still feel the thrill when he briefly pecked Jiyeon’s lips just now. Somehow it felt despicable but still sweet because there’s finally something to look forward to in his life. He’s been having his eyes on Jiyeon since they were in sophomore year but she’s too out of reach because they’re in different class and Jiyeon was too cold to approach.

“I wonder how beautiful she’ll look smiling.” He told himself.

Myungsoo arrived at a villa and he walked in, still smiling as his mind was totally occupied by Jiyeon. But as soon as he was inside the villa, he could hear his mother’s voice begging and crying at the same time. He quickly ran inside and saw his mother kneeling in the middle of the room while hugging his stepfather’s leg.

“I beg you please don’t. He’s still young. Let him live his life. Please I beg you.”

“You know you have no say in this. You’re lucky that I picked you and your son up or else you might’ve been living in the street now!”

“Just kill me! Kill me and let him go!”

His stepfather was seen rushed to the kitchen leaving his mom on the floor, crying her heart out. Myungsoo’s heart pained seeing his mother in that state. He wanted to go there and tell her that everything would be okay but his feet were glued to the floor. He was mad at himself for having an ounce of happiness within him, for wanting to be happy, when his mother was willing to sacrifice her own happiness, her own life for his sake. He wiped away the tears that had been escaping his eyes before making his way to his mother but at the same time his stepfather comeback from the kitchen holding a knife.

“NO!!!” Myungsoo shouted as he rushed to hugging his mother, very tightly, not wanting her to get hurt.

“Oh so you’ve grown up enough to be this brave, our Myungsoo.”

“Leave him alone!” His mother said, trying to push Myungsoo away but he resisted so he could protect his mother from his stepfather. He heard a faint chuckle coming from the guy behind him and he could feel something sharp landed on his back.

“Urgh.” Myungsoo slightly murmured, holding the pain as if something was carved on his back.

“Haeri, your son is in pain. Are you just gonna let him hurting?” The evil voice said as he cut another part of Myungsoo’s back with the knife.

Myungsoo gritted his teeth and bit his lips, enduring the pain while shaking his head, signaling his mother to not do anything and just stay still. His mother whispered to him in between her sobs, “You’ve done enough Myungsoo… Stop it now.”

He broke the hug once his stepfather stopped carving his back. He stood up and faced the older man who’s still smiling as if he had done nothing. The knife on his hand was filled with Myungsoo’s blood. He looked directly into his stepfather’s eyes while breathing heavily, holding his anger.

“Just kill me, and let mother go.” He said.

The man laughed before he poked the end of the knife on Myungsoo’s chest, right below the collarbone. Myungsoo’s white school uniform was again tainted with his blood just like his back. He clenched his teeth again, enduring the pain but his stepfather stopped there, “I can’t kill you, kid. You’re useful to me, but she’s not.” He said, referring to Myungsoo’s mother on the floor.

“Don’t you dare hurting my mother.” Myungsoo said, sending a stern gaze.

“I can do whatever I want, ungrateful kid. Both of you are able to live well, in this luxurious place, you going to school, filling your stomach, everything is on me. I don’t ask much. I only ask for a little favor from you but your mother doesn’t agree with me. You should talk to her about it, then anyone won’t be hurting. I’ll be going first so sort it out between you two.” With that, he simply walked out the main door.

“Son, we need to treat your wounds first. Where do I put the first aid?” His mother said while struggling to stand up.

Myungsoo turned around and quickly helped her to stand up, “It’s okay mother. They don’t hurt that much. I’ll visit the clinic later.” Myungsoo assured.

His mother placed her palm on his cheek and gently caressed it, “Everything is going to be okay Myungsoo, so don’t worry too much.”

“Mother, whatever he wants from me, let me do it. That way, we could live well.” He tried to convince her, but she quickly shook her head.

“You can’t Myungsoo-yah. I might lose you. You know you’re so precious to me.”

“What other option do we have then? Should we just run away?” He promptly suggested, pained upon seeing his mother looking so helpless and weak while he could do nothing.

“Right, you should run Myungsoo. That way, you’ll be safe.”

“I’m not going anywhere without you.”

Silence filled the air as his mother seemed to be at loss for word. Myungsoo just stared at her as she suddenly turned around and slowly walked up the stairs. Again, his feet seemed to be glued to the floor. He really wanna run to her and hug her tight, telling her how much he loves her but he couldn’t do so. He knew he wouldn’t be able to contain his feeling and end up showing his weakness in front of her when he was the one who should remain strong for her. After a few minutes, Myungsoo eventually went to his room and straight into the bathroom. He took off his blood-stained shirt and the shower, letting the cold water washed over his cuts. He was frowning, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists, bearing the pain as the cuts met the water. He then looked at himself in the mirror, slightly touching the cut below his collarbone.

“I’m sorry mother. I should be the one protecting you, not the other way around.”

 

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Mom, dad, I’m home!” Jiyeon lively greeted as soon we entered her house.

“We’re home!” I copied, having a taste of saying it which I later received a frown from Jiyeon, “Why? I’ve always wanna try doing that.”

“Do it at your home, not mine!

“Yeah I hope I can do it at my home too.” Yes, I really do want to do it at my own house but I just couldn’t.

“Jiyeon-ah you’re finally home!” A cheerful voice greeted, “Omo, who’s this?” A beautiful lady appeared, which I believed to be her mom.

“My baby is finally back from school?” A friendly looking middle-aged man then appeared with a fatherly smile, which quickly faded away once he noticed a me, “Who’s this?”

“This is my fr—”

“I’m your lovely daughter’s boyfriend.” I confidently introduced myself before Jiyeon could do so. I knew she’s gonna introduce me as a friend but you lost, Park Jiyeon.

It kinda surprised me seeing both of her parents were very friendly, considering how cold Jiyeon was, even towards me, her own boyfriend. The whole dinner was lively as her parents were very considerate of me. They were so sweet to each other too, just like newlywed. How I wish my father wasn’t dead so we could also live happily like this, so we wouldn’t have met my stepfather, but of course, things wouldn’t always go like we want it to. I couldn’t even remember the last time I saw mother’s genuine smile. But still, I’m glad that Jiyeon was raised in this beautiful household, by her wonderful parents. At least I knew she was happy.

It’s getting late as time flies really fast whenever I was having a great time. I ended up in the family area as I wandered around just now, feeling cozy in this house rather than the villa. Their family photos were framed and hung on the wall. The family photo was placed in the middle among others and it really stood out a lot. Jiyeon looked a bit younger and their smiles were showing obvious happiness. I wish I had this kind of family photo too, but as usual all I could do is wishing, and just wishing.

“The photo was taken when I was fifteen.” Jiyeon suddenly appeared next to me.

“You’re already beautiful since you’re a child. You seemed to be very smart too. I’m so proud of you.” I said while softly Jiyeon’s cheek.

Well… thank you.”

“I should be going now. Please thank your parents on my behalf. I’ll see you at school tomorrow okay. And don’t forget to sleep well tonight.”

“You too. Be careful on your way. Text me once you’re home.”

“Will do so. I’ll get going.”

 

---

 

I walked into the villa, having a completely different feeling than entering Jiyeon’s house just now. Here just felt stuffy and uncomfortable overall. If only mother wasn’t here, I wouldn’t have been back here forever. Tonight especially, because that man’s car was at the porch.

“Welcome home, son!”

He was in the living room, sitting on the sofa as if he was waiting for me. I saw mother coming out from the kitchen bringing a cup of drink with her before serving it to my stepfather. She seemed pale and weak. Her health seemed not be good. Be strong mother, because I’d get us out of here. I promise.

“Take a seat. There’s something we need to discuss.”

“Junghan, I beg you. Please… not my son.” Mother began begging again.

Just what the hell I was about to involve to? But I was sick of seeing mother on her kneel like that. I went towards her and quickly helped her to stand up. My stepfather just stared at us as if he was disgusted, “You know you have no choice, Haeri. Look at your son. He wouldn’t be this miserable if not because of you. You k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter