AL 17

Abrupt Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Rushing towards her car in a blink of an eye, Taeyeon hit off the road as soon as she stepped on the gas of her vehicle. She was on a hurry that she wasn’t able to bring anything with her but her phone, the car key, and of course, the yellow envelope, not even giving a proper answer to Mrs. Lee who asked her where she was going in a confused voice, probably from the way Taeyeon was running her way out of the house.

          She had never felt so desperate in her life than at the moment. And it was not the usual feeling of desperation that people get. She was desperate for help, knowing fully that she wouldn’t be able to help herself with her situation. Right, she could ask Baekhyun, the man who is more than willing to do anything for her, but she wouldn’t want that. She wouldn’t want to involve him in something that he was not really part of from the beginning. It is her business. It is her problem.

          Her hands were clutching the steering wheel tightly as she tried to calm her heart and her mind. But that seemed impossible. She was frustrated at herself for not figuring out everything right away, right after she saw the first yellow letter she got. She should’ve known, but she was oblivious.

          Yellow. Goddammit Taeyeon, that was so obvious already! She slammed her palm on the wheel and groaned after. She couldn’t believe she missed on that detail. An obvious detail.

          And the handwriting, goodness, Taeyeon what is wrong with you?! She shook her head as she tried to remove the image of the handwriting on each letter on her mind. It was too familiar, she knew it. It was really familiar. And she wasn’t wrong on that part, because she clearly knew that handwriting. She knew who owns it. There’s only one in the world.

          Arriving at her destination, she parked in front of the luxurious looking apartment which she hadn’t seen for a long time. Hopping down off of her car, she marched up the front steps and knocked on the wooden door. “Heechul, open up!” She screamed over and over again. “I swear to all the gods Heechul, you’ve got to stop playing games with me now, I’m hella serious!” In a few minutes, she gave up, after it seemed like no one would answer her instead of the cold air of the approaching evening.

          She stepped back and looked at the apartment. It looked relatively quiet, and she knew that her brother was nowhere inside of the place. He would answer me as soon as he heard me. She went back on her car and sat there a few more minutes, thinking where could she find her brother at the moment if he wasn’t on his own place.

          After which, she roared the engine of her car to life again, and headed straight to her next destination without any further delay. It was crazy to think for her that she could even manage to drive so fast like that in her life. It might be the fastest she had ever drive in her life. But she could care less about that matter at the moment. All she needed was to see her brother.

          So when she reached her destination, she hurriedly found herself a space to park her car on and went out quickly. As she was walking pass through the entrance, she couldn’t help but to remember the last time she had been on the place. The first time she formally met her husband, the first time she met Baekhyun. She was at Hotel Grandioso. A very familiar place to her.

          She walked pass the people scattered and made her way towards the lobby of the hotel. The place has multiple sections of hotel, but she knew very well where to come and ask. Of course, she wouldn’t get this piece of information wrong.

          Walking up to the counter, a rather familiar young man looked up to her, recognizing her immediately. “Miss Kim,” the man greeted.

          She gave him a polite nod and a small smile before she spoke, feeling a little nostalgic for hearing someone address her by her single name. “Can I—” but before she could even continue, the man interrupted already, finishing her sentence for her.

          “Looking for Mister Kim?” The man asked expectantly. Taeyeon just stared at him for a few seconds before she nodded. She wouldn’t say she was surprised by it because almost everyone in the place knew their family, especially her brother, but not being around in the place for a long time seemed to quite startle her a bit with how things are usually on it. “He’s at the usual.” The man gladly answered. “Please come, I’ll give you an access through the elevator.”

          Taeyeon quietly followed the man as he guided their way to the big elevator. Once inside the lift, she gave the man a polite smile and a short thanks before the doors closed before them. She was thankful that she was alone inside, and no one had to witness her uneasiness. She wouldn’t really want to make others uncomfortable just because she is. She clutched the small yellow envelope in her hands as she watched the number on the screen changes second after second.

          When the elevator stopped and the ding sound rang off, she stepped out of the lift as soon as the doors before her opened, and was welcomed by the very familiar sight of the hallway of the hotel floor, covered in fuchsia colored walls and carpet. Though years had passed since she last saw the place, nothing had really changed ever since. A little improvement was made probably, but it still looked the same as what was it before.

          Taking a deep breath, she dragged her feet which all of a sudden felt heavy, and walked her way down the hallway. Halting on the middle of the huge hallway, she came face to face with a door, a number of 856 placed on the top middle part of it. Sighing quietly, she brought her hand up and pressed the doorbell. When she got no response, she repeated it and pressed the button endlessly. “Oh you better be inside, please.” She muttered, now pressing the button hard. She wouldn’t know anymore where to search for her brother if it turns out that the place is empty again like his apartment. And she knew she wouldn’t be at ease unless she sees her brother.

          After almost murdering the doorbell button, the door suddenly snapped open in front of her, and her brother came into the view, his face outraged. “Geez, you gotta—” the sight of his sister in front of him was enough to shut him and his anger in a second. He stared at her with wide eyes, contemplating whether or not he was dreaming, for he couldn’t believe that his sister was right in front of him.

          Taeyeon stared back at her shocked brother before she noticed the faint murmurs inside of his room. He had visitors. She figured out her timing was probably not right, but she could care less about that at the moment for she desperately needed her brother and she couldn’t afford to wait any more days. She needed to settle this as soon as possible.

          For the next minutes, the two were just staring at each other. Their throats seemed dry that even though the siblings wanted to utter something, they couldn’t seem to locate their voices. It’s as if it is very much of a surprise to see themselves in that current situation. None of them were expecting that sooner or later.

          “Taeyeon…” It was Heechul who broke the longing silence.

          “Can we talk?” Her voice was faint and barely a whisper, and she felt like it was all stuck up on for some unknown reason.

          Heechul turned his head inside before turning back at his sister right away. The look she had on her face told him that whatever she came for to him was probably no simple thing. And the fact alone that she actually came for him, that solely spoke for itself alone. He knew he needed to attend to her.

          “Give me a moment?” He asked her, and Taeyeon immediately nodded and watched her brother disappear as the door slowly closed in front of her.

          She walked away from her position and leaned her back on the wall across the door and waited for her brother to come back. As she did so, she quietly—and impatiently tapped her right foot on the floor, her head rested on the wall as well as she tried to calm her heart and mind now that she had found her brother. Few more minutes Taeyeon, few more minutes. She told herself.

          When she heard the door clicking open in front of her, she snapped her head back and saw a group of men and women coming out. She was sure that she heard Heechul introducing her to them politely but her mind was too clouded to even comprehend what was happening around her. She just wanted to talk with her brother, nothing more, nothing else.

          She wasn’t even sure what response or reacting she gave back to the strangers, but she just found herself staring at them as they walked down the hallway to the elevator.

          Turning to her brother, she saw him already staring at her, before he gave her a smile—the one that she missed the most. It was a warm welcoming smile. But she couldn’t be wrong in seeing a hint of concern in his eyes as she looked at them.

          “Hey my little Taengoo, how have you been?” He asked her.

          Taeyeon didn’t respond, for she didn’t really know what answer should she say. So instead, she quietly reached for the door and opened it widely, inviting herself inside the suite room—which basically is his second home already, before her brother could even do it. Knowing fully that Heechul was just right behind her, she walked towards the sitting area of the room, a few glasses and two bottles of whisky that were on top of the coffee table welcomes her, probably the ones his visitors were drinking before they left. She tossed the yellow envelope that she had been holding on it, before she sat down on the couch in front of it.

          “What’s that?” Heechul curiously asked, looking down at envelop as he walked near the table.

          Taeyeon remained silent for a moment, wondering whether or not to answer her brother’s question. It is not because she didn’t want to answer, it’s because she didn’t want to say the answer. It would be weird for her to hear herself uttering it, especially after a long time. More so, she didn’t even imagine herself to arrive at a point wherein she has to say it again in her life. Then what the heck happened in the world?

          Instead of answering, Taeyeon remained silent, and Heechul took it as an initiative to look at the envelope himself, knowing fully that his sister wouldn’t bother to speak, at least in any minute soon. With how her brows were furrowed together and how confused and anxious her face was at the moment.

          Picking up the yellow envelope on the table, he carefully opened it and pulled out the card placed inside. He slowly ran his eyes through the words written on it, carefully reading and analyzing every single word and detail out.

          Taeyeon was just silent on her seat. She was patiently waiting for her brother to find out. Find out the matter himself. Would he figure out? Like how I did?           

          Heechul went over and over again on the words, he was confused. He couldn’t put the pieces of the puzzle altogether. He was lost, for a moment. Not until the letter W became too familiar for him to ignore. W… is that…

          “He’s back?” He asked, looking up to his sister who was still silent on the couch. His eyes were overflowing with concern, and annoyance at the same time, ironically. Concern, for his dear sister, and annoyance, to whom the letter was from. This can’t be. He thought.

          Taeyeon didn’t answer. More like, she couldn’t answer. She wasn’t really sure of the answer to his question. She wasn’t actually sure if he’s really back or not.

          “This… Was it from him? Who sent this to you?” He asked when he received no response from the lady.

          She swallowed. Hard. “I believe so,” she muttered when she managed to find her voice that was suddenly kept hidden on . “I… I believe it’s…”

          “It’s Wooyoung.” Heechul finished it for her. It wasn’t even a question; it was a statement. A sure statement. Because no one needs to ask it, the letter itself spoke and answered them already before they could even ask.

          Taeyeon looked up to him to say something. But what would she say? When all Heechul did was to speak the truth? Even though she knew her brother was right, there was still a part inside her that was denying all of what’s happening.

          Oh I wish this isn’t real. I hope it’s not him.

          But… this is no one but him, I know that certainly.

          “When did you get this?” He asked, holding up the envelope in his finger.

          “When we were in London, I think. It was sent to my boutique.”

          “Just this? Nothing else with it?” Though he was preventing it to sound off, a pit of anger and such emotions like it were starting to build in his system. He is mad, because after so long, why does a man like Wooyoung, has to barge slowly back to his sister’s life, when she is finally living in an utter peace from him. And out of all the unfortunate things that could happen to her, why does it have to be this one?

            Heechul may had been an to his family, but one thing is certain, his undying love for his sister never vanished. Even though it may have seemed like it did, especially in Taeyeon’s eyes, the truth is, it didn’t. He knew he had to cope up to those times he did his sister wrong, especially for contributing to the reason why she had always been scared of putting her trust into someone, and maybe this is his chance to correct all those. He knew very well that the reason she went to him is because he is the only one she knew who could help her, and he’s determined to help and if may so, protect her in all ways possible.

          Taeyeon shook her head, bringing her hands on her temples to massage it. “That was the third. I received two, almost similar letters prior to that. That one came with a bouquet of sunflowers.”

          “Sunflowers,” he scoffed. “Of course he would do that.” He placed a hand on his hip. “Were the letters yellow as well?” He asked, lifting the envelope up with his fingers.

          Taeyeon slowly nodded her head. “It were all yellow.”

          The siblings were quiet after, none of them could really utter something as they both wrap their heads in the situation. They were caught off guard, especially Taeyeon. That even though hours may have passed already since she figured it out, she still couldn’t believe what is really happening, more so, understand it.

          “What if he’s back?” She asked after the silence, her eyes were glued down to the floor. “What if he’s really back?” Her voice was almost a whisper but her brother managed to catch her words through her faint voice.

          Heechul could point out the fear in her voice. It wasn’t hard to do so. “He can’t be back, you know that.”

          “But what if?” She asked again, now looking up at him. “He’s a son of a politician Heechul, he can do whatever he wants to.”

          “Yes he is, but he can’t go anywhere near you.”

          “But how can you guarantee that? We managed to push and throw him out of our lives two years ago, yes. But… but is that enough?” Her voice was almost a whisper as she uttered the question.

          Was that really enough?

          “Taeyeon,” he sat down beside her on the couch.

          “What if he shows up right in front of my front door later?” She ran her hands on her hair and let it cover the sides of her face when it fell down after. “I… I don’t want him back Heechul, I just can’t. I can’t stand him.”

          Heechul stared down at the envelope in his hands for a moment, before he brought himself to speak. “Why do you think he sent these to you?”

          Taeyeon lifted her head up, stared into nowhere as she searched for the answers in her head. “I don’t even want to think of the possible reasons.” She shook her head. “But you know him, he’s always up to no good.”

          There was a long silence that right away surrounded them after. They were both thinking; Heechul of ways to solve the matter, and Taeyeon of all the things her mind can go through. She felt like her head will soon explode with all of the things that she was thinking. It was all too much.

          Her gaze then landed on the bottles of whiskey in front of them on the table. Spotting an unused glass, she picked it up, opened a bottle, and poured herself a drink. She needed it. Everyone’s aware that she is not much of a drinker, but she suddenly had the urge to feel the alcohol in her system. Maybe it could help me ease up a bit.

          Heechul watched her on his seat as she gulped down the alcohol in one go. His eyes then landed on the envelope in his hands. He knew Taeyeon is never scared of anything. That’s a fact. But if the mere thought of Wooyoung’s coming back scares her, then this is something he shouldn’t just take it easy. Wooyoung was not an easy guy and everyone was relieved when he managed to leave Taeyeon alone and disappeared into nowhere.

          “Did you tell Baekhyun about this?” He asked after he watched his sister take down another glass of whiskey.

          She was suddenly reminded of what she told him about the bouquet and letters. He knew it was Heechul. And she mentally cursed at herself for causing more conflict to an already huge one.

          “There’s no way I’m telling him about this.” She’s determined to keep him out of her own mess. She knew she wouldn’t be able to protect herself from this matter, and that is why she came to her brother; but at least, maybe she could protect him. At least from this.

          “Why? He’s your husband.” He inquired.

          She shook her head. “He has a lot on his plate already. I’m not adding this mess of mine on it anymore.”

           “But why? He can protect you.”

          Taeyeon turned her head and looked at him intently in his eyes. “What do you think is the reason I came for you?” Her voice was stern, and her eyes seemed like it could send daggers.

          Heechul heaved a sigh without averting his eyes away from his sister. “Taeyeon, I will help and protect you in every way that I could, you know that.” Taeyeon moved her eyes away from his and poured more alcohol on her glass. “But Baekhyun is the one who’s always with you, not me.” Her stubbornness is not a new thing for him. In fact, he is so used and immune to it already. So it was not a surprise to hear that she is planning to keep this issue from her husband.

          Taeyeon knew that, and as much as she wanted to run to him, she couldn’t afford the thought of bringing more problems in his life, especially now that he has a job to focus on. Baekhyun had always been caring towards her from the beginning, and she knew that he would mind if ever she would tell the case to him. She doesn’t want to add more worries than what they already have in their life, and that’s why she’s trying to solve the matter as early as she could, with the help of her brother.

          “I… I don’t know Heechul. I don’t know what to do.” She ran a hand over her hair and poured her glass a drink again.

          That was the final call that Heechul needed, with the wary look of his sister, he knew he had to finally do something. “Go back home and forget about this for now.” He softly uttered and Taeyeon only gave him a confused look instead. “I’ll take care of this, don’t worry.”

          “How will you do it?” Her voice was soft and low, but he could hear the anxiousness in it.

          Heechul gave her an assuring smile before he spoke, “Just leave this to me. I’ll see what I can do and call you the soonest.”

          “Are you sure? I mean I can help—” Heechul didn’t even let her finish and right away pinched her nose as he chuckled.

          “I got this, okay? Stop worrying more than you are already little kid.” He slightly ruffled her hair. “And you better stop drinking as well and go home now.” He pulled the glass away from her hand without Taeyeon objecting and stood up after.

          “But what are you going to do? Won’t you need my help or something?” Heechul found it amusing how despite of the many years that passed already, Taeyeon never changed a bit and still tends to worry about everything around her just like when they were kids.

           Heechul turned and faced Taeyeon who also stood up from her seat. He placed both of his hands on her shoulder and smiled at her. “You really need to stop w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter