Memories

Life as Taeyeon

*3 years ago *

 

I’m watching TV in the dorm but I can’t get over the fact that next to me Tiffany is smiling widely at her phone. It’s not the first time but I don’t want to ask about it. Tiffany is too obvious. I wish she wouldn’t be so obvious. 

“What’s got you smiling like that?” Sunny teases. 

“What? I wasn’t smiling!” She denies exaggeratedly. 

“Come on. No secrets between members.” Sunny nudges. 

“Well... Um.. I didn’t want to say yet but.. Nichkhun kind of asked me out and I said yes.” She blushes. 

There it is. Nichkhun? Even though you said you were just close friends over the years. 

“Nichkhun! You Miss popular. Only old men ask me out. Everyone is getting boyfriends these days... Hey Taeyeon.”

“Ah umm. I haven’t really been looking.” I reply 

“Even though you’re so popular Tae. I heard that Baekhyun really likes you.” Tiffany says

“We do get along well.”

“And heechul-oppa.” Sunny adds

I make a disgusted face, “That would be like dating my brother.”

“So what do you think?” Tiffany says nervously 

“About?” 

“About me dating Nichkhun.”

Why are you asking me that? I want to try ignore that relationship as much as possible like I do with your other relationships. 

“Nichkhun... I think he’s a really nice guy and you two have been close over the years. It looks like he makes you really happy.”

Tiffany smiles and hugs me, “He does. I know you’ll get along great!”

I hug her back. 

Why does it matter if I get along with him Fany-ah. 

I go back to my room and look at my phone. 

I have a message from Baekhyun ,”Did you think about what I asked,  Noona? 

I hesitate for a bit, “Let me just think about it for a bit longer.”

“I’ll be waiting for your reply <3”

Should I also get a boyfriend? But I don’t know how I feel about Baekhyun. I always just saw him as a cute hoobae. I did watch his practices. Other guys have asked me out before. Am I hesitating because I like him that way? 

 

*A few days pass *

 

Tiffany talks about Nichkhun a lot. I don’t really like talking about him but she looks happy so it’s fine. Is he that great? If he’s that great why am I the one watching movies and going shopping with you? Because you’ll get found out? It’s fine with me. I love doing things with you. I’m glad nothing much changes even when you’re in a relationship. 

“Tae there’s this really nice cafe I went to the other day. It was delicious! When I was there I was like I really need to show Taeyeon. So you definitely have to go!” She pokes my cheek. 

I smile and move her finger, “I’ll go. I go out sometimes too.”

“Hmm only for work.”

I laugh nervously, “Our comeback is my top priority.”

“If I didn’t take you out you would wither away Taeyeon-ah.” She teases. 

Later I return to my room and take out my phone, “Baekhyun-ah I’ll go out with you!”

 

*A few days pass *

 

“Fany-ah.” I say while she’s busy eating a chocolate cake at the cafe she recommended. 

“Yes taeyeonie.”

“Actually I’ve been meaning to tell you... I’m going out with Baekhyun.”

Tiffany pauses for a bit. It might be my imagination but she doesn’t look too happy. 

“Oh my god! That’s great Tae!  I knew he liked you!” she says excitedly so I guess it was my imagination, “If only we could be less secretive we could go on double dates.”

“Yeah that would be great.”

“So is he a gentleman?”

“Yeah he’s younger so he’s still a bit shy though.”

“Tae he’s shy because he likes you! You’ve never been the love expert.”

I laugh, “And since when were you the love expert?”

“Since forever! I’m love expert Tiffany!” she pushes her hair back 

 

* A few months pass *

 

Tiffany and Nichkhun got found out . So I have to be really careful. I go to pick Baekhyun up at his dorm. Late at night. There’s been a lot going on with Jessica I just want to go for a drive. I often take Tiffany on late night drives but I’m in a relationship with Baekhyun. I should be going on late night drives with him. 

“Sorry to keep you waiting Noona . The members were teasing me. They picked the wrong person to tease. They’re going to get it tomorrow.” He jokes. 

“You guys are up pretty late.”

“Yeah we’ve been really busy but I know you have been as well. Don’t work too hard I’ll be worried.”

“Gomawo (thanks)” I say and we drive off. 

“You’re pretty when you drive Noona.”

I smile, “Really?”

“Of course. I wouldn’t just say that.”

“Don’t you say that to all the girls.” I tease. 

“No, Noona is special.”

We drive for a bit then I park and we kiss. This isn’t the first time. 

Does Tiffany kiss Nichkhun like this? 

 

* A few months pass *

 

I got photographed with Baekhyun and our relationship got exposed. Ever since then I’ve just got so much hate. There’s already troubles with Jessica. I thought the group would always be together but now I’m not sure. Do my fans even still like me. Are my fans the ones saying my relationship is fake? That we shouldn’t be together? Can’t I have a relationship? Is it because he’s from exo? Is it worth staying with him? Do I like him so much that I would go through this? Maybe they’re right. Maybe I don’t love him like I thought I did? It is a pain to meet up. I would rather stay home. 

“Taeyeon-ssi.” Sunny says next to me on the couch

“Yeah.”

“Is everything OK? Recently you’ve been down.”

Have I? 

“There is just so much going on.”

“There is... Even Fany has been down.”

“Fany has been down?”

“She hides it well but she doesn’t seem as happy as she used to be. She even said she might break up with Nichkhun.”

“I thought they were so happy together. Why didn’t she tell me?”

“She probably thought you had enough going on and didn’t want you to worry. I’m going to bed. Are you going to go to your room?”

“No. I’ll wait till Tiffany comes home.”

“Goodnight Taeyeon.”

“Goodnight.”

Tiffany finally gets home. I was about to fall asleep on the couch. 

“Tae!  You’re still up!”

“Barely... I waited for you.” I whine 

“For me.” She gestures to herself cutely making me smile. 

“Yeah. I heard that you were going to break up with Nichkhun so I thought you might want to talk.”

She sighs and sits next to me, “Did sunny tell you? Recently you seemed so busy you know with everything.”

“But you can always talk to me.”

She smiles then hugs my arm, “I feel like we’re distant recently even though we spend so much time together. I’m weird aren’t I?”

“No... I feel the same way.”

“With Nichkhun. I broke up with him.”

My heart stops. There’s a part of me that is happy but I feel horrible about it. How could I be happy about this? 

“Fany-ah are you sure. You even talked about marriage.”

“I know but I don’t think I could be with him for the rest of my life! We’ve been so busy we couldn’t see each other but... I didn’t miss him as much as I thought.”

“Don’t worry Fany-ah. Everything will be OK. I’m sure you’ll find someone who you can spend the rest of your life with.”

She hugs me ,”You mean another person. You weren’t planning on leaving me right.”

My heart starts racing. I forgot that my heart could race. 

I hug her back, “Of course not.”

I go back to my room. 

“Someone who I would spend the rest of my life with...” 

I take out my phone , “Baekhyun... I think we should break up. I’m sorry.”

“Is this because of Tiffany?”

I reread that over and over.  

“No. No it isn’t . I just think that it’s been so busy. I don’t think it’s the right time for me to date.”

“Is there anything I can do?”

“No. I’m sorry. I need to be alone.”

“You can still call me. I won’t give up so easily Noona.”

I don’t reply. I finally realize that maybe my fans were right and Tiffany is right. I’m not a love expert. I don’t even know how I’m meant to break up with someone properly. Relationships aren’t as great as I thought they would be. 

 

*Present time *

 

When we reached Korea all my missed calls and messages came through. There’s a lot from my manager and the members. I’m not surprised. I decided to go to another country without telling them. Somehow lots of people knew when we would be coming back so there’s a lot more fans here then this morning. Tiffany was walking through the airport holding onto me and causally trying to hide the hickey I gave her with her hair. Knowing how observant the fans are I think it’s a failed effort. We return to the dorm and waiting for us is an angry looking Sunny. 

“I found out from the net news that you flew to Japan!  From net news!” She moans

“I’m sorry. It was a last minute decision.” I explain 

“That’s worse! Tiffany what were you doing in Japan with Taeyeon?”

What were we doing? I grin at Tiffany while thinking about what we were doing a few hours ago. 

“DISNEYLAND! We went to Disneyland!” She says awkwardly then bashes me with her elbow. 

Sunny sighs, “Everyone was so worried.”

I go up to Sunny and put my hand on her shoulder, “Mian (sorry)”

She sighs again, “Arasso (I got it) you’ve never been good at telling people where you’re going.” 

“Today it was for a happy occasion. It’s been a long day. I’m going to my room.” I look back to Tiffany, “Goodnight Fany-ah.”

“Don’t you want to...” Tiffany begins to say but then looks at Sunny and stops, “It’s nothing. Goodnight Tae. I had a lot of fun today.” She smiles warmly. 

 

*Tiffany POV *

 

Taeyeon’s gone to her room alone. I wanted to sleep together in the same bed but I can’t say that with Sunny here... I start to walk to my room but sunny grabs my shoulder, “No you don’t .We need to talk.”


We sit on the couch, “About what?” I say innocently 

“Your hickey is showing.”

“What!” I exclaim and look down then cover it with my hand, “This is... I fell so it’s not actually what you think... “

“You’re still bad at lying Fany-ssi. Are you in relationship with taeyeon?”

I look away and unconsciously play with my hair, “...Yes.”

“You have to tell Taeyeon you can’t be together. If this gets out then—“

“I DIDN’T THINK I WOULD HAVE TO HEAR THIS FROM YOU!” I shout

“DO YOU SEE A HISTORY OF GAY COUPLES IN KOREA?”

I storm out the room.

“THIS ISN’T AMERICA FANY-AH!” She shouts from the other room. 

I can’t believe Sunny would say this to me. For once can I live without people telling me what I can’t do. 

 

*Sunny POV *

 

Tiffany doesn’t understand or she does and that’s why she’s so upset. I’m just worried . We get hate for even the smallest things. I don’t know how people would react about this. I take out my phone and message Sooyoung. 

“It finally happened.”

“What?”

“Tiffany and Taeyeon are together.”

“WHAT?? Like...romantically??”

“Yes. I just talked to Fany about it and now I think she’s angry with me.”

“We all knew their relationship was suspicious... What did you do?”

“...I told her they shouldn’t have that kind of relationship.”

“YAH! Soonkyu! We’ve known them for over 10 years. You can’t break up taeny. You need to apologize to Fany!!”

“I don’t want to break them up... I’m concerned.”

“I understand but.. They were already acting like a couple from before. Let’s just trust them and support them.”

“ Sigh.. You make me look bad Sooyoung. I’ll apologize to Fany-ssi...”

I put down my phone and think for a bit before I open my chat with Tiffany 

“Fany-ah I’m sorry. It’s fine if you love Taeyeon.”

I’m the only one that knows what happened the other day isn’t the first time. Not even Taeyeon and Tiffany remember. I thought they were just really drunk. I need to start limiting their alcohol consumption...

 

 *2 years ago *

 

We had an end of year party with the members but Taeyeon and Tiffany weren’t ready for the party to end when we got back to the dorm. I haven’t seen Taeyeon drink this much before. They’re both super drunk. 

“We can do just fine the 8 of us! Iron bond!” Tiffany announces 

“Yeah the 8 of us with Sica!” Taeyeon joins

“Without!” Tiffany moans

“Right, without . I meant without.”

“I think you two need some water.”

 I haven’t nearly had as much as them. I walk to the kitchen and fill up two glasses of water. When I walk back the atmosphere seems weird. 

“Fany-ah I never really say this but I think you’re really pretty.” Taeyeon says with a loving look in her eyes. 

Tiffany smiles, “You say it sometimes.” 

“But I should say it more. I think it all the time.” 

“Really! Tae nobody ever knows what you’re thinking... You never say what’s on your mind.”

Should I interfere? 

“I’ll say what’s on my mind. “ She pauses for a moment, “I love you.” Taeyeon says seriously in English 

Tiffany holds taeyeon’s hand, “I love you too Taengu.”

Taeyeon thinks again ,“And... when I kiss Baekhyun I think about you.”

Is taeyeon serious? Is she really a lesbian... I need to interfere, “I bought you two some—“

They started making out. Is this actually happening? I’m shocked for a moment then I put the water down and go to break them up, “Even if you’re drunk, you two have boyfriends!”

“Boyfriend’s !” Taeyeon shouts then holds her stomach while looking ill. 

“Go to the bathroom quick!” I shout and Taeyeon rushes. 

I hope she doesn’t throw up on the floor. Meanwhile Tiffany just lost her balance from nothing and fell on the couch. Now she’s laughing at herself. 

I hope they don’t remember this tomorrow.