B U C K E T L I S T

SECRET CUPID

 

“Gate 17 for Flight KE901 to Paris has opened. To passengers for Flight KE901, the plane is ready for boarding.”

 

Dia drags her luggage to the counter for the staffs to check her ticket before continuing her steps to the aircraft. “Have a wonderful journey,” the airport staff smiles at her and Dia walks her way towards inside the aircraft. A beautiful cabin crew checks her ticket once again and guides her to her seat. She falls herself down onto the seat; making herself feel comfortable while looking around the business class cabin. The seat is comfortable; not too small and there is enough space for her legs. It is the first time she travels alone and in business class cabin.

An unfamiliar figure approaches the seat next to her. She doesn’t look up as her eyes are still busy scanning around the cabin. “Hi,” the person says and Dia looks up; automatically meeting his eyes. That man’s eyes are small and would turn into a crescent shape if he smiles. Dia nods slightly, “Hello.” The guy sits next to her with a happy smile which already makes Dia feels uncomfortable and creeped out.

“Are you travelling alone, Miss… Sorry, I didn’t catch your name,” he chuckles to himself while Dia looks at him with an aloof expression. “I’ve never mentioned my name to you,” she raises her brows. “Well, may I know what to call you then?” he says. ‘Sneaky,’ Dia whispers to herself. She ignores him and looks away. “It will be a long flight journey and I can’t just call you ‘miss’, am I right?” he says again; not giving up and Dia lets a loud sigh.

“It’s Dia.” She looks at him with a frown – hoping that he will stop but then he smiles instead.

“Nice knowing you, Dia. I’m Myungsoo.”

She rolls her eyes and looks somewhere else. “Are you travelling alone, Dia?” Myungsoo asks again. Dia huffs in frustration. Truly, she did express on how she wanted him to stop talking to her. But sadly, this Myungsoo guy failed to catch that. “Not supposed to. But that’s how everything turned out in the end. So here I am, yes, alone,” she says while rolling her eyes.

“Passengers of KE901 to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport from Incheon International Airport, good evening this is your pilot, Captain Cho Joon.” Myungsoo sits properly and fastens his seatbelt right away after the captain started his greetings. He looks over at Dia, who is now shutting her eyes with her arms crossed.

The cabin crews go through every passenger to inform them to turn off their portable electronic devices. After doing that, the cabin crews demonstrate the safety features of the aircraft.

“Flight attendants, prepare for take-off please,” the captain says through the intercom and the flight attendants obeyed by going to their respective seats and fasten their seatbelts. The aircraft then started to move and the shaking increased.

Few minutes later, the ‘seat belt’ sign has turned off and Myungsoo did as what he sees and goes to the toilet with a bottle of mineral water. Dia saw that and she feels nothing but freedom from the chitty-chatty guy – which only last for three minutes. She sees him walking back from the lavatory and lets a long sigh. She browses the small screen placed at the back of the seat in front of her; searching for some entertainment, or just a way for her to ignore him. Myungsoo sits on his seat and places the water bottle on the small table.

“So,” he begins, “you’re not ‘supposed’ to travel alone. What happened?” he asks and Dia looks at the ‘wall’ that separates his seat and hers – basically, this wall isn’t enough for him to understand the concept of personal space invasion. She looks back at the screen; not answering his curiosity. “Were you supposed to go with your boyfriend?” he asks bluntly and Dia loses it. She looks at him frustratingly.

“I’m sorry, do I know you?” Myungsoo smiles, “We introduced ourselves a couple of minutes ago—,” Dia cuts him off, “But we are still mere strangers. And why would I share my life story with a stranger?”

“Then let’s not be strangers. Let’s get to know each other.”

Dia quietly scoffs in disbelief. ‘Aren’t you sly as a fox, mister,’ she thought. She forces her attention back to the screen while she searches for an interesting movie to watch. As she is browsing the movie list, Myungsoo is not-so-secretly watching. “No, not that movie,” he says but Dia ignores and continues browsing. “Not that too. It’s too boring and meh,” he says again and Dia looks at him with a deep frown.

“Can I help you??” she asks in furry. Myungsoo laughs to himself, “I should be the one to ask that. I’d suggest ‘Hidden in Plane Sight’ but you might want to get off the plane right away so,” he chuckles to himself again and Dia begins to think he needs some medical attention. “But, hey, if you like psychological horror, who am I to stop you,” he continues while shrugging.

“It’s okay if you’re afraid to watch it. I’d suggest ‘Finding Dory’ then,” Myungsoo says as he paying close attention to Dia’s expression. The English teacher scoffs and then clicks on the ‘Hidden in Plane Sight’ poster on the screen. She glares at him before fixing her eyes on the screen and Myungsoo smirks.

 

 

It has been an hour and the movie still has less than 50 minutes to go. Dia’s eyes never leave the screen while Myungsoo is sitting very comfortably; with his legs folded, while eating a bag of chips. Too lazy to play it on his screen, Myungsoo joins her by watching on her screen instead. Dia watches as the killer grabbed the girl by her hair and shoved her entire head down the sink. The girl struggles but then stopped at one point. “Want some?” he offers some of his chips but then is shushed by Dia since she wants to focus on the movie. He shrugs at continue eating.

‘You killed her,’ muttered the guy who was about to make love with the girl before the killer appeared. “Ooh, this is my favorite part,” Myungsoo puts his bag of chips aside and moves closer to get a better look. The guy was about to attack the killer but he was too late as the killer began to tear his face with a small electric shaver—

Dia turns off the screen abruptly. “Hey – I was watching that,” Myungsoo whines and Dia glares at him, “Watch it on your screen.” She begins to unfasten her seatbelt and walks towards the lavatory but then Myungsoo just had to say it, “Hey, be careful! Make sure you lock the doors!”

Myungsoo laughs his off. Dia ignores him and continues her way into the lavatory, not forgetting to lock the doors. Her eyes met with the sink and it reminds her of the scene she just watched earlier. She shakes her head while repeatedly telling herself to calm down and that it’s just a movie. A sudden rattled sound comes from the door and Dia is freaking out. She hurriedly washes her hand and goes out.

“Was there anyone else inside there with you?” Myungsoo appears as soon as she opened the door and Dia swears she almost had a heart attack. “Quit doing that!” she hisses and Myungsoo laughs. The two walk back to their own seats and Myungsoo is still smiling like a fool. “It’d be nice if you watch Finding Dory right away,” he says playfully, “It could ease your fear.” She glares at him deadly but he just couldn’t stop grinning.

 

 

Not so long after, the flight attendants serve the passengers their desired meals and Dia gets to eat her bibimbap. “Hey! We ordered the same thing!” Myungsoo blurt out all of sudden – a little too loud. She shushed him again and continues to stir her bibimbap after putting the hot pepper paste into the bowl. She devours her food while trying her best not to care about Myungsoo who keeps on glancing at her.

“I’m sorry, can you not do that?” she says after swallowing her first bite. “Do what?” he looks at her innocently. “All that glancing and staring. Can I really help you with something??” she asks in frustration. “Why are you travelling alone?” he asks her the same unanswered question again. Dia shuts her eyes in anger for a brief moment. ‘Can this guy ever stop asking me this?!’

The girl puts her spoon down and turns to him, “Fine. Here’s your answer; I was supposed to go with my boyfriend.” Myungsoo now knows that he shouldn’t keep on wanting her to answer this question. “We planned on travelling together somewhere for a month and I’ve been saving ever since,” she says while looking down at her bowl of bibimbap. “But then he cheated on me with some girl I’ve never seen before.” Myungsoo shakes his head in disapproval while she continues. “I thought I should just use my savings for me and me only. So, here I am,” she raises her brows and shrugs her shoulders. Dia continues eating her bibimbap now that she explained everything.

A question comes across Myungsoo’s mind. “How many year have you two been together?” he asks in full curiosity and Dia chuckles to herself. “You will not believe it,” she says as she wipes with a napkin. “We’ve been together for 6 years.” Myungsoo’s jaw dropped and his eyes widened, “Whoa.”

The girl shrugs, “Everyone gave the same reaction every time.” If they have been together for 6 years, why did the boyfriend decide to cheat now? He supposes that the boyfriend might grow out of love with her but he thinks that cheating will never be the right way to end a relationship.

“How about you?”

Her voice brings him back to reality. He looks at her with a confused face. “How about you? Why are you on your way to Paris?” she asks while taking another spoonful of the popular Korean dish. Myungsoo hesitates for a bit before telling her the reason why he is on his way to Paris. “Quite similar to your reason actually; a vacation for myself. It has been quite tiring for me these past few months. So I thought maybe I could use some time for myself,” he says while smiling to her. Dia nods as a response.

The two then got to know about each other’s occupations. Dia discovered that Myungsoo works as a professional photographer who is quite well-known for his beautiful shots of people from all over the world. He told on how he travelled to a lot of countries before to take portraits of people with various backgrounds and stories. Some are sorrowful, some are successful, some are bittersweet. They also talk about hobbies and movies – although Dia wouldn’t watch HIPS again, at least not now.

Hours passed and there are a few hours left before the aircraft lands at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris. After a trip to the lavatory, Myungsoo walks back to his seat and puts the water bottle back to its place. He glances over Dia who is already in dreamland. Myungsoo places his arms on the wall that divides her seat from his. He rests his head on his arm and looks at her sleeping. “I think I found the one,” he whispers to himself while fixing her blanket carefully.

 

 

“Dear passengers, as we start our descent, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seatbelt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins,” the captain announced through the intercom. Dia looks over at Myungsoo next to her, who is currently sleeping. She checks his seatbelt to make sure it is fastened properly, and fortunately it is.

“Flight attendants, prepare for landing please.” The cabin crews walk to their seats and fastened their seatbelts.

Dia is excited for her upcoming journey in Paris, alone. She will have all the time for herself in a country she has never been to before. The plane began its descent and Myungsoo is still sleeping ever so soundly. After a few shakings, the aircraft now has landed.

“Dear passengers, we have arrived at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris. Current local time is 6:35pm and the temperature is six degrees Celsius,” the captain speaks. Dia looks over to her left and sees Myungsoo still sleeping. She taps on his shoulder to wake him up. “Hey, Myungsoo. Hey.” Myungsoo opens his eyes slowly. “Wake up, we’ve arrived,” she says before fixing her watch to current local time. Myungsoo groans while he stretches.

“Wow, you really slept like a baby. You didn’t even wake up to the loud announcements,” she says and Myungsoo smiles at her – his eyes turned into a crescent shape. “What kind of baby did I look like? Was I a cute baby?” he asks in wonder.

“I take my words back. You slept like a horse.”

 

 

Once the aircraft is parked at the gate, Dia exits from the plane; leaving Myungsoo, who is trying to take his carry-on bag. He rushes out to catch up with Dia right after he took his bag. “Let’s move together,” he says and Dia sighs. She exited first because she wanted to be separated from him, actually, but whatever. After passing the immigration and security check and whatnots, Dia and Myungsoo proceed to claim their luggage. The man doesn’t stop following her around until they arrived at the arrival gate, where they have to go to separate ways.

“Well, it was nice meeting you, Myungsoo,” she smiles in full sarcasm while raising her both her eyebrows. “Will I get to meet you again?” he asks and Dia shrugs and says, “God knows,” before leaving him behind.

 

 

Dia opens the door of her hotel room. It isn’t too small and not too big. It has its own private kitchen and bathroom, and also, “Huge bed!” she screams as she falls herself onto the fluffy bed. This is cozy and comfortable enough for her one month stay in Paris. Her journey starts tomorrow as she is too exhausted and jetlagged. A good night sleep will help so much. She prepares the essential she thinks will help for her journey tomorrow; a handy camera, a map, a French phrasebook to help her with the unfamiliar language and a small book, just in case she needs something to jot down.

 

 

The first thing she sees in the morning is the sight of Eiffel tower from her hotel’s window. The sight which she has been dying to look at. And today, she is going to see much more beautiful sights and places. She won’t be rushing herself because hey, she has another 29 days to be in Paris. Dia goes to the bathroom to take a shower and dresses up for her first day ever in Paris, France.

Once she stepped out from the hotel building, the smell of freshly baked croissants and baguettes filled the atmosphere. It is just like how she pictured morning in Paris to be like. Parisians are walking in fast pace, some heading to work and some heading to school. A typical sight to see but it looks new in her eyes no matter how. She heads to the nearest café to get her prepped for the day. She chose to sit at outside to enjoy the fresh air of morning in Paris. A simple croissant, bread and jam, and a glass of orange juice are already enough to make her happy. Of course, she never forgets to take a picture of the food before devouring it.

Her first place to go to start her first day is the infamous monument in Paris, Arc de Triomphe. She is ever so ready with the map as her guide for the whole trip. Dia promises herself to not use any types of GPS to get to her destinations. She wants this trip to be gadget-free – which then she regrets of doing so. Dia is lost in the streets of Paris and the busy Parisians walking here and there isn’t really helping either. Plus, she only knows minimal French phrase – which she just learned from the phrasebook she brought along. She looks at the map she’s holding as if staring it long enough will show you the right way to go.

“Dia?”

That voice is familiar, too familiar that it makes her wanting to run away. She turns around slowly and her eyes met the owner of the voice, the one she wanted to run away from; Myungsoo. “Hey…,” she grins sheepishly. The guy smiles at her and points at her map, “Do you need some help there? You look like one.” Dia belatedly hides her map behind her and stutters, “Uh, I—” Myungsoo approaches her closer.

“Where are you planning to go to?” Dia grins awkwardly at him, “Um, it’s okay, I—” He cuts her off by saying, “I come by here often. I can show you around,” he smiles and pats her shoulder, “Come on.” Dia could just grunt quietly while her feet follow Myungsoo’s steps.

“I saw you having quite a hard time there with the map,” Myungsoo says; his eyes glance towards Dia a few times. “It didn’t quite help me finding my ways,” Dia sighs and Myungsoo laughs slightly saying that she should use her phone as GPS. Dia rolls her eyes secretly, ‘Clearly, you don’t get my concept, Myungsoo boy.’ The two continue to walk on the same pace, side by side. Myungsoo asks her again, “Where do you wish to go?” and Dia shows the picture on her travel book, “Arc de Triomphe.”

As she wished, Myungsoo brings her to Arc de Triomphe. With it being infamous, the monument is filled with tourists and even Parisian. Myungsoo is already ready with his camera to capture the beautiful sight. No matter how many times he went to Paris, the sights and picturesque views never failed to amaze him. He starts taking pictures of the monument in various angles. Then, he takes pictures of the busy Parisians walking here and there, not minding the beautiful sights in front of their eyes, taking it for granted. Next, he takes pictures of the amazed tourists and Parisians looking at the Arc de Triomphe – admiring the beautiful details and architecture of the monument.

And then there she is, Dia, who is looking – not only at the monument – but her surroundings with a wide happy smile. Myungsoo smiles at that sight of her. Who would’ve thought that the girl who is as fierce as a tigress on the plane could have such a beautiful smile? He doesn’t hesitate on taking pictures of her – in fact, he thinks he could live by just taking pictures of her. He has created few masterpieces before but this time, he had found his true masterpiece.

He approaches Dia, who is still looking at the beautiful sight in front of her in awe. “I see you’re enjoying the view,” he says; his eyes are still locked on her. “It’s so huge. Can we go to the rooftop?” Dia asks without looking at him and without waiting for his answer, her legs just move forward to the elevator but a security guard stops the two from proceeding. “I’m sorry the elevator is only for the handicapped visitors only. You can go up by using the stairs.” Dia looks at Myungsoo in disbelief and he chuckles, “I tried to tell you.”

She lifts her head up and sees the tall monument, “There must be, like, 150 stairs.” He shakes his head, “248 stairs, to be exact.” Dia raises her eyebrows and laughs to herself. “I’ll just enjoy the view from here then,” she says and laughs again. The two then looks into the details of its architecture and see the names of those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. “How many times have you been here, Myungsoo?” Dia asks him, for the first time ever. “Six times now,” says the photographer who is doing his job by taking pictures of whatever he sees. “Wow, so you basically already became a Parisian,” Dia says sarcastically and Myungsoo shrugs. “But there is one thing is missing. I can’t speak French very well,” he says and the two laugh.

The two spent almost 2 hours wandering around the monument before they go for a quick lunch at nearby café that is well-known for its submarine sandwiches. Myungsoo, being the gentleman he is, queues in the line to order while Dia waits at their table. “Bonjour, may I take your order?” the staff asks. “Saucisson Fromage et Omelette Jambon, s'il vous plaît,” he says then smiles and waits for his order. His phone vibrates in his pocket and he takes it out to see a message from his lawyer saying, “Myungsoo, I’m feeling uneasy so I’m flying there to you. I’m on my way from Incheon and I booked a room in the same hotel as you.” He raises a brow while replying to his message, “Same hotel as me? That’s gay.” He picks up the tray with the sandwiches on top towards the table where Dia is waiting.

“Bon appétit,” Myungsoo says to her sweetly – his hand grabbing for his Omelette Ham sandwich. “Merci,” she replies haughtily and the two begin eating their sandwiches.

That night, the two visit the Eiffel Tower and the two share stories and laughter with each other. “I’d love to go up there but I don’t know if my lungs can take it,” Myungsoo says and Dia laughs. They ended up walking around the Eiffel Tower and enjoy the scenery from below.

“Hey, Dia.”

“Yeah?”

“I’ll show you around for tomorrow too. And the next day too. And the next next day too.”

Dia chuckles at his lame attempt on asking her out but she shrugs, “You sure you know Paris very well? Can you assure me that we won’t get lost?” she asks while raising one brow.

“I don’t mind being lost, as long as you’re there with me.”

Dia scoffs at his cheesy pickup line.

 

 

Myungsoo meets with his loyal lawyer the next day as soon as he arrived at the hotel. “Sungyeol!” he hugs the lawyer. “How are you feeling?” Sungyeol asks. “Me? I’m feeling great. I have something to tell you, come on.” Myungsoo goes to Sungyeol’s room to help him unpack, and also to tell him something.

“Sorry, I didn’t quite catch that. Can you repeat?” Sungyeol frowns and leans to him to hear him better. “I found the one!” Myungsoo cheers. Sungyeol groans with his both palm on his face. “Noooo Myungsoo,” the lawyer grunts. Sungyeol looks at his cheery face and is loss of words. He can’t be a killjoy to that face. He heaves out a long sigh and looks back at him again.

“So, how is she like?”

And Myungsoo spent the rest of the night telling Sungyeol about Dia.

 

 

As a man who sticks to his words, Myungsoo brings her to various spots known for its view and architectures. They became closer and closer, each time, each day. Myungsoo just keeps on falling deeper and deeper into her, now knowing he is already too late to back down. They became like good friends and maybe even closer than good friends.

As he is spacing out, Sungyeol throws him a piece of paper – which brings him back to reality immediately, “There’s a traditional parade going on in downtown Paris tomorrow.” Myungsoo studies the poster, “Folk dancing.” Sungyeol scoffs as he sits on the chair. “I knew you would spot that first,” the lawyer smirks. “Why don’t you bring her there? Spend as much time together,” he suggests and Myungsoo only continue to look at the piece of paper. “Yeah.”

 

 

 

When he wakes up, it’s already noon and he notices Sungyeol is nowhere to be found. He reckons Park went back to his room to rest. Myungsoo gets off from his bed and walk straight to the bathroom to clean himself for another date with Dia this evening. After showering and changing, he consumes a pill with the help of a glass of water readied on the table in front of his bed. Then, he brings his camera bag and goes on his way to meet her, forgetting the bottle of medicine.

“Hello, you,” he greets sweetly and Dia smiles at him. “Where are you planning to take me today?” she asks in curiosity. He places his arm around her, “A good friend of mine told me that there will be a traditional parade going on today in downtown Paris.” She raises her brows; totally intrigued about this whole traditional parade Myungsoo is talking about. “There will music, dancing, foods!” Myungsoo explains enthusiastically.

“That’s where I will be taking you today, mademoiselle Dia.” Dia rolls her eyes at his attempt on going all-French with her.

The traditional parade is just as how Dia imagined it to be. Crowded, for sure, but very colorful and so much variety of foods and music. Photographer Myungsoo is always ready with his camera to capture moments and to capture his favorite mademoiselle. As days passed by, Myungsoo caught himself being trapped in Dia. He keeps on loving that beautiful face more and more which pains him because it is selfish for him to love someone now. Every move, every action Dia does, Myungsoo is always there to capture and keep that moment for her and for himself too.

Myungsoo is determined on confessing his feelings about her today. He feels like he’s running out of time and he doesn’t want to waste any second being apart from her. He wants her as ‘the one’, he chose her. Meanwhile Dia, although she felt sparks whenever he smiled at her, she tries her best to shrug it off since she is still unable to trust men after what his ex-boyfriend did to her. She gets a feeling that Myungsoo might be different but Dia is scared of getting hurt again.

They had their dinner at a simple diner nearby the parade and Dia thanked him for bringing her here. She wouldn’t know there are such things happening if he hadn’t told her anything about it. After finishing their meals, the two walk side by side, while trying to figure out what to talk about to each other. Myungsoo hears a folk music playing and they spot a crowd dancing to it.

“Come, let’s dance,” Myungsoo grabs her by the hand. Dia shakes her head, “I can’t dance.” She chuckles sheepishly but Myungsoo insists, “It’s alright. I’ll lead your steps.”

Dia is reluctant to dance but then without her knowing, her body flowed with the traditional folk melody and begins to enjoy the moment with Myungsoo. He smiles looking at how she is enjoying her time. The music fades away and the two caught each other’s eyes. Myungsoo pulls her close to him and aim for her lips until

BOOM! CLAP!

A firework show interrupted their moment. Dia, trying to hide her flushing red face, looks at the fireworks in the sky instead. Myungsoo clears his throat and grabs his camera to take pictures of the firework show. But he couldn’t, as his eyes kept going back to Dia. He almost did it today. He will do it successfully soon.

It is past midnight and Myungsoo reckons it would be dangerous for Dia to walk alone and so he walks her to her hotel room. Once they arrived in front of her hotel room, Dia smiles at him, “Thank you for today. I really enjoyed it.” Myungsoo smiles, “I’m glad you enjoyed it.” Dia unlocks her door and walks inside. She is about to close the door after saying goodbye to him but, “Dia,” Myungsoo calls out her name softly. Her lips meet his and she can feel her body is being pushed toward inside the room. The man then closes the door with his back. Myungsoo’s kiss is gentle yet sensational. “Myungs—”

“I love you, Dia.” Dia looks at him. She can feel that her face is burning. “I like you. A lot. I know we just met and know each other for a few weeks. But these past few weeks were magical to me, it felt so unreal that I thought I was dreaming for being this happy,” Myungsoo says with a cracking voice; as if he’s going to break in tears anytime soon. “I’ve never felt as if I owned the whole world but I started feeling that way after meeting you. I love you, Dia.” Dia caresses his cheek, “Listen, Myungsoo… I’m afraid. I’m afraid of getting hurt again.” Myungsoo cups her face softly, “Hey, I am not going to hurt you, ever. And I will surely not let anybody hurt you.”

Dia takes a deep breath and looks into his eyes, “You can’t break a broken heart, but can you heal it?” Myungsoo smiles at her sweetly, “Of course,” and kisses her for a longer time.

While still not letting go of each other’s lips, Myungsoo leads the two to the bed before going on top of her. Dia breaks the kiss and gazes into his eyes, “I love you too.” The photographer smiles and then continues what they were doing.

 

 

Myungsoo feels accomplished. Dia is now his, for how long that doesn’t matter. This moment right now, Dia is his and only his. He turns to look at the girl who has gone asleep next to him. He fixes the blanket to cover her bare skin and tucks her hair strands behind her ear. She dazzles even when sleeping, and of course, Myungsoo doesn’t forget to capture this on his camera. Thank God the shutter didn’t wake her up.

Then, Myungsoo feels something starting to going up to his throat and he already knows what it is. He hurriedly left her hotel room quietly after wearing his pants and clothes, not forgetting his camera bag. He rushes to the lobby and then runs outside as he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He throws up in the trash bin placed outside the hotel.

“Monsieur, are you alright?” the concierge approaches him, panicked by the sudden vomit. Myungsoo coughs but he tries his best to smile to the middle-aged man, “I’m okay, I’m alright. Merci.” The concierge walks back to his spot while still worrying about Myungsoo. Myungsoo leans on the building’s wall while trying to take his phone and dial a number.

“Sungyeol, can you pick me up? I’m at Champs-Elysees Hotel.”

He waits for his lawyer-slash-friend to arrive for almost ten minutes. Myungsoo is already sitting on the ground – looking pale and sick. The concierge approaches him again – he can’t stop worrying about this Korean tourist. “Monsieur, should I call the ambulance?” the middle-aged man asks and Myungsoo immediately shakes his head. “Non, my friend is on his way— Oh look, there he is,” Myungsoo says weakly. He sees Sungyeol, with a very panic expression, getting off from his car and running towards him. “Myungsoo! What the heck happened?!”

“Nothi—”

“He threw up quite a lot just now. I am very worried so I wanted to call the ambulance but he kept on refusing,” says the concierge to Sungyeol. Myungsoo shakes his head weakly, “Don’t…” The lawyer takes his friend’s arm around his neck; ready to help him to his car. “This won’t do. I’m going to take you to the hospital,” Sungyeol insists but Myungsoo grabs his shirt.

“No..! Don’t. Please… Just take me back to the hotel and I’ll eat my meds and be okay. Please, I promise.” Sungyeol looks at his friend – his face is pale and his eyes are watery. Sungyeol grits his teeth in frustration, “I shouldn’t have let you travel.” The lawyer helps him up and brings him to the car’s back seats. Sungyeol did not forget to thank the concierge for his help.

“How can you forgot to bring your pills, Myungsoo?! For goodness’ sake,” Sungyeol asks in anger. “I just happened to forget about it. I was looking forward for today too much that I just forgot everything,” Myungsoo answers from the backseat. Sungyeol is frowning like there’s no tomorrow, “I really should not give you my permission on travelling. I really do regret for letting you—”

“I confessed to her.”

Sungyeol’s eyes twitch, “Hold up – What did you say?”

“I slept with her too.”

“You what?!”

Myungsoo chuckles weakly, “Oh, I really did, man. Quite embarrassing to say this but, it was my first and woo!” Sungyeol is on fire, “You had the nerve to frickin’ say ‘woo’ at me after what had happen to you, Myungsoo? You’re one crazy fella.” The photographer chuckles again, “Yes.” Myungsoo looks at the night sky outside the car’s window. “I want to live longer so bad now that I met her, it makes me crazy.” Sungyeol glances at his friend from the rearview mirror, “I’ll stay at your room for tonight, just in case.” Myungsoo looks at his back profile, “That’s gay. I’m taken.” Sungyeol tells him to shut up and the photographer just chuckles in his weak state. “I never thought I’d get to say that I’m taken… I’m taken, Sungyeol.”

“You are.”

 


 

The sound of bird chirping from outside the window wakes Dia up from her sleep after the steamy night. She groans as she stretches out and realizes Myungsoo is not by her side on the bed. She abruptly sits up straight and scans around her hotel room. She proceeds on checking the bathroom, kitchen, the balcony, but Myungsoo is nowhere to be found. Dia sits on her bed in hopelessness.

“Of course,” she says to herself; brushing her hair backwards with her fingers in frustration. “It’s your fault for falling into his trap, Dia. Good job!!” She gives herself a sarcastic applause before heading to the bathroom. “All guys are the same. I can’t believe I went far from him yet I found another one JUST like him!” she scoffs at herself while putting some toothpaste on her toothbrush. She brushes her teeth in anger; looking at herself in the mirror, “Hate yourself, Dia.”

Ding! Dong!

“Who had the nerve to—” Dia gargles and spits it out into the sink before screaming from the bathroom, “Who is it?!?!?” A male voice is heard saying, “Room service!” Dia frowns to herself and tries to remember did she ask for such things. She walks to the door and opens – only to see someone hiding his face with a brown paper bag. Dia’s frown fades when she sees who the person is.

“Special breakfast delivery!” Myungsoo grins at her confused face. Without hesitation, Myungsoo kisses her lips, “Good morning, love.” Dia stops him from kissing even more by pushing him softly. The photographer looks at her; puzzled by her sudden action. “I thought you left me,” Dia utters. Myungsoo looks at her; even more puzzled. “You left after sleeping with me. I thought you left after.” Myungsoo stops her from saying more, “What are you saying? I won’t do something like that. Not to you.”

Dia shrugs and Myungsoo pulls her in for a warm hug. “I’m sorry for leaving you last night without a word. But I would never do something like that to you.” He takes a brief moment to look at her and smiles, “I’m sorry, okay? Now let’s eat breakfast. I bought authentic French croissant, bagels with extra cream cheese and, coffees!” And that is enough to win her heart back.

The two have their breakfast on the bed. While Myungsoo is spreading the cream cheese onto the bagel piece, curiosity hits her, “Why did you leave last night?” Myungsoo, for a second, stops his action and looks into her eyes, “I smelt nasty from all the sweats. I can’t let you wake up to the smelly me.” He chuckles and so does she.

 

 

Myungsoo is unable to tell her what happened last night. It is too soon for him to let her know. Everything is too beautiful and happy for her to know. Just for once, Myungsoo wants some more time for them to experience much more beautiful memories. The next days, they went to so many places together – this time, hand in hand and more forehead kisses. They went to Tuileries Garden; a public garden, where they spent time together under the sun while playing with each other and admiring each other’s features.

She also invited him to her hotel room one day; wanting to cook spaghetti for him. They fed each other and also did the dishes together; playing with the bubble foam too. Myungsoo then played the guitar with his only girlfriend watching him. They watched the TV; turning on the local channel and tried their best understanding it without any subtitles. They snuggled on bed while appreciating each other’s scent. Those days are priceless to Myungsoo and he did not regret any single thing for loving Dia.

“Let’s have our first dinner date,” Myungsoo says as he gets ready to go back to his hotel. “I’ll book a reservation for the both of us at a five-star haute cuisine restaurant tomorrow night. How does that sound?” he smiles at her while her locks. “That sounds romantic,” she beams and Myungsoo shrugs. “Well, I am a romanticist.”



 

On the way back to his hotel, he was looking at the night sky with twinkling stars until he loses his balance and fell onto the hard ground. He groans in pain as he looks at his elbow; only to see his shirt is torn and his elbow bleeding. He takes a deep breath before standing up back to his feet and continues his way back home.

Once he arrived at the hotel, Sungyeol is already waiting at the lobby for him. “Well, hello there! You sure took a long time. What did you two do this time? Steamy ni—” Sungyeol nagging stopped as soon as he sees Myungsoo’s bleeding elbow. “What happened this time?!” Myungsoo grins sheepishly, “I tripped. It’s nothing.” Sungyeol sighs loudly before taking him to his room.

“Myungsoo, talk to me, you lost your balance, am I right?” Sungyeol asks in his serious tone. Myungsoo suddenly runs to the toilet to throw up and Sungyeol is always right behind him to help. Seeing his client-becoming-friend in this state hurts him a lot, God knows how badly. Myungsoo then cleans his mouth and also the wound before walking back to his bed.

Sungyeol sits on the chair placed in front of the bed, “Myungsoo, it is best if we go back to Seoul now. Your condition has worsened.”

“Has it never?”

Myungsoo looks at him with a stoic expression. “It has already been this bad.” The photographer takes out an ointment and applies it over his wound and puts a bandage over it. “But isn’t it better to go back? We can get things ready,” Sungyeol suggests but then the friend laughs sarcastically.

“Like what?”

Sungyeol is unable to say anything as a response. “We will be having our first dinner date together tomorrow. And I can’t leave her alone at the restaurant, can’t I?” Myungsoo looks at him. “And it’s not as if there is a cure waiting for me in Seoul,” he mutters but it is loud enough for Sungyeol to hear.

The lawyer lets him win again this time but under one condition; that he will be following them closely, just for precautions. Myungsoo chuckles at the idea but decided to just let Sungyeol does whatever he prefers.

 

 

Myungsoo have told her to dress up prettily for their dinner date that night, and she indeed did dress up prettily. Just by wearing a violet-colored cocktail dress is enough to make Myungsoo star-struck again and again. “You dazzle,” he beams at her. Dia could just roll her eyes and chuckles at his comment, “There you go again.”

During the dinner date, they pretty much exchange loving stares and smiles at each other. And just then, Myungsoo feels nausea. In fact, the feeling is much worse than the normal nauseous feeling he felt usually. “I’m going to go to the men’s for a moment, okay?” he excuses himself and walks to the men’s toilet in fast pace. He feels like every organ inside his body is coming out this time.

It’s becoming worse.

He doesn’t understand. He ate his medicine and supposedly, he won’t be having any episodes until his dinner date ended. But why? Myungsoo gargles his mouth and washes his hand with a soap – making sure he doesn’t smell like someone who had just vomit a whole lot.

“How do you think about the foods here, Dia?” he asks as soon as he got back from the restroom. “It’s really good,” she answers with a grin. Myungsoo continues eating his Coq Au Vin but can’t seem to grab the utensils. He knows that he will eventually drop the silverware if he tries to grab it and would make her worry. So, he ends up only drinking his beverage which fortunately comes with a straw.

 

 

“Thank you for tonight,” Dia says and Myungsoo shakes his head. “No, thank you,” he gives her his signature eye-smile and kisses her on the lips. “See you, monsieur,” Dia bids as she goes towards the opposite way of where Myungsoo’s heading too. “Be careful, mademoiselle. Dream of me!” Myungsoo winks and Dia chuckles while continuing walking. He waits until Dia is not anymore in sight. Myungsoo walks back home.

And again, he loses his balance and fell onto the asphalt – hurting his temple to the point it bleeds. Fortunately, Sungyeol is always close behind ever since he went out from his hotel this evening. His loyal lawyer helps him out right away and brings him back to his hotel room.

“Come on, Myungsoo. Let’s go back to Seoul,” Sungyeol his hair backwards in frustration. Myungsoo only sits on his bed; not giving any response. “This can’t keep on happening to you. You’ll ruin your whole body,” he scolds as he keeps on going round and round around the hotel room. He stops in front of Myungsoo and sits on the bed with him, “Let’s go back, okay? I’ll get you the best service and everything. Please…” Sungyeol breaks down in tears. Tears of fear. Fear of losing. Myungsoo hugs him without saying anything in return.

 

 

Dia received a message from Myungsoo the next evening. He asked her to meet him at the café they once had lunch together by 8. When Dia arrives at the café, Myungsoo is already there waiting for her. He gives out his best smile as soon as he sees Dia. Myungsoo only ordered a drink – claiming that he already ate at his hotel just a moment ago and is still full. Dia notices on how Myungsoo does not talk much tonight and would just watches her eat – which is cute, she has to admit that.

The two leave the premises when they were done eating. Dia cutely pets her belly, “I’m full already.”

“Let’s break up.”

Dia looks at him with a puzzled expression. “What?” Myungsoo is unable to look in her eyes properly although he tried. “I had to leave to somewhere far and I think it’s better if we end our relationship.” Dia’s brows are furrowed, “Leave where? And we can try out long distance relationship. A lot of my friends are doing the same thing and it works.” Dia holds both of his arms while trying to make eye contact at the same time.

“It doesn’t work that way, Dia,” Myungsoo utters sorrowly. Dia is trying to understand this whole sudden situation. “Why all of sudden? Why… Did I do something wrong at our dinner last night?” she questions him and Myungsoo shakes his head.

“No, it’s not you,” Myungsoo gazes into her eyes. “It’s me.” Dia lets go of Myungsoo’s arms. She doesn’t know how to feel because this came in like a wrecking ball. Without warning, everything just begins to wreck into pieces.

“Dia,” he calls out softly, “Can I hold you for the last time before we go our own separate ways?”

The English teacher’s brows are still furrowed in confusion. “Yeah, sure,” she answers and Myungsoo approaches her. He hugs her close while appreciating her scent for the last time. He can’t help it but to cry – knowing that he might never hold her again. “Hey, are you sure you’re okay?” Dia asks while still in his arms. She can feel the man nodding but she isn’t sure she should take that nod seriously because he doesn’t look okay obviously.

Myungsoo breaks off the hug and smiles at her with his teary eyes. “Au revoir, mademoiselle Dia.” Dia is unable to laugh or even smile at his French attempt like how she used to. Everything feels off to her but she decided not to think about it. She expected this to happen but never thought it would be this soon.

The photographer falls into an emotional breakdown back at his hotel room while Sungyeol tries his best to calm his friend down. But, no matter how he tried to calm him down, it doesn’t work very well as the latter will eventually breaks into tears again.



 

Myungsoo asks for Sungyeol’s help to look out for Dia on behalf him. And so, he secretly follows Dia from time to time, without her noticing, of course. The photographer spends the next few days working on the pictures of the times he spent with Dia. His condition became worse each day and he had extreme vomiting episodes – realizes that the medicine does not help out anymore.

Meanwhile, Dia has to admit that it feels empty without Myungsoo to accompany her touring around Paris. She misses his stupid jokes. She misses his cat-like smile. She misses his French attempts. And she misses his touch. She sits on the bench at the Tuileries Garden where she once went here with Myungsoo. In her hands are a few macarons and a cup of iced cappuccino – which just tasted bland to her for some reason.

 

 

It has been three days after their breakup.

Sungyeol enters Myungsoo’s room with an emergency key when the photographer doesn’t responds to the door bell and knocks. His heart dropped when he sees Myungsoo unconscious at his study desk, where he has been working on something. In his hand is a picture of Dia he took. “Myungsoo! Myungsoo, come on, answer me!” Sungyeol pats his cheeks for a few times in panic. “Don’t slap me,” Myungsoo mumbles. The lawyer is relieved to hear that. “I’m going to bring you to the hospital whether you like it or not, okay? So, stay with me, man,” Sungyeol says as he carries Myungsoo on his back.


 

“I’m afraid he doesn’t have much time left.”

Just by that one comment from the doctor, Sungyeol knows what he is going to say next so he nods. “Merci.” The lawyer walks back to the ICU ward and Myungsoo sees him walking in. “Look at that long face,” Myungsoo says weakly while lying on the bed with so many wires around him.

“Yeah, I bet you’ll miss this face,” Sungyeol jokes and Myungsoo chuckles.

“Yeah. I’ll miss it so much.”

Sungyeol begins to develop tears in his eyes. He holds his friend’s hand while keeping his head low – not wanting Myungsoo to see him crying, although the latter knows he is crying.

“Sungyeol,” he calls out weakly. The lawyer answers but refuses to look at him. “I’m going to ask you to help me one last time. On my desk, there is this box. Hand it to Dia, will you?” The lawyer just nods. “And please look out for her. You don’t need to follow her around. Just make sure that she’s always safe and happy even without me by her side.” Sungyeol nods again.

Myungsoo’s eyes are also watery at this point. “Sungyeol… I’m sorry for everything.” Sungyeol finally looks up to see him. Sungyeol’s eyes are red. “I’m sorry for always going against you. I know what you’ve been doing to me for these past years were for my own good. And thank you for letting me travel. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have the chance to meet Dia. So, thank you, Sungyeol. I am thankful for your presence in my life.”

His words just made everything worst. Sungyeol breaks into tears while still holding onto Myungsoo’s hand dearly. “Take care of Byul for me,” Myungsoo smiles. That evening, a long constant beep echoes through the whole floor. And the hand Sungyeol has been holding onto is turning colder and colder.

 

 

Tomorrow, Dia will be heading back to Seoul. She reckons it would be nice to meet Myungsoo for one last time before she leaves Paris. Dia calls Myungsoo’s phone number but then is answered by an unfamiliar voice. “Hello? This is Myungsoo’s phone, am I right?” she asks in wonder. Did she dial the wrong number?

“Miss Dia? I’m Myungsoo’s lawyer and friend. I am currently at Necker Hospital and I’m sorry to tell you this… but Myungsoo passed away last night.”

She could swear that her heart skipped a beat. She immediately runs out from the hotel and grabs a taxi to the hospital Sungyeol mentioned. So, is this the reason of the sudden breakup? Is this why she has been feeling like something is not going right? She tries hard not to cry inside the public vehicle but failed to do so.

Dia runs inside the hospital with tears that won’t stop flowing ever since she knew about the news. She uses her brain to figure out where he might be and she rushes to the Intensive Care Unit department. The nurses stop her from going any further since she doesn’t have any permission to enter. “Miss Dia?” She turns around to meet Sungyeol who is still unfamiliar to her. “I’m Myungsoo’s lawyer who answered your call just now.”

“How did it happen? What actually happened?”

Sungyeol invites her to sit in the visitor’s room to let her know the whole story. “Myungsoo had brain cancer for almost a year now and he was in final stage the moment he travelled his way here in Paris.” It feels like thousands of knives and blades are stabbing Dia in the chest right now.

“The cancer cells had spread to his cerebellum, causing him to lost balance and weak muscle movement – which explains why he had a wound on his temple.”

She remembers during the time when they were in the plane to Paris. She asked him the reason why he came to Paris and he said, “A vacation for myself. It has been quite tiring for me these past few months.” She remembers on how he was sleeping so soundly that he didn’t even realize that the plane had landed. He was tired because of all the chemotherapies he had been through all these times and he chose Paris as his final vacation before his time finished.

Dia tries to remember again, during their dinner date, Myungsoo ended up did not eat his Coq Au Vin but only drank his beverage. It wasn’t because he was full. It wasn’t because he did not have any appetite. But it was because he was having a hard time using the fork and knife. He didn’t keep trying to use it because it will catch her attention for doing so.

Myungsoo ended up not eating his Coq Au Vin was because he did not want her to worry.

“The cancer cells then spread onto his brain stem, causing him to experience a heart failure and…,” Sungyeol can’t finish his phrase but Dia knows what he is going to say. A crying mess, Dia asks him where his room is. Sungyeol calms her down and tells her that it is no use to go to his ward because she will only find an empty bed. Dia breaks down again. “Why didn’t you call me yesterday before he left?” she sobs and Sungyeol doesn’t know how to answer that.

“Here.”

The lawyer hands her a box that he has been holding onto ever since this morning when he dropped by to sign all the hospital paperwork that needed to be signed. “Myungsoo told me to give this to you.” Dia takes the box and looks at it preciously. “He spent sleepless nights preparing for this. I’m sure he would love it if you accept this,” Sungyeol gives her a sad smile. “Oh and,” he takes out a photo from his coat’s pocket and give it to Dia.

“He was holding onto this one picture until his very last moment.”

It is a picture of Dia smiling when she first saw the Arc de Triomphe. The first smile Myungsoo saw. The first picture of Dia he took. There is a quote written at the back of the picture that says, “I don’t mind being lost, as long as you’re there with me.”

Dia can’t stop her tears from flowing. She begins to open the box and sees its contents. There are a letter for her, pictures he took of her and also the picture of both of them. But her eyes are locked onto a small black book. She opens the book and flips through pages. It happens to be a book where he kept all the things he wished to fulfill with Dia before his time comes. A bucket list. She was his bucket list. Every bucket list is almost complete except for the last page – which is for Dia to be happy even without him by his side. For her to move on with her life but to not forget about Myungsoo.

 

For Dia to be happy even when I’m not around.

 

She breaks down; crying her eyes out while regretting on why she did not go see him sooner.

 

 

 

“To passengers for Flight KE902 to Incheon, please wait at Gate 20 for boarding. I repeat; passengers for Flight KE902 to Incheon, please wait at Gate 20 for boarding.”

Sungyeol walks to the coffee kiosk. “One iced latte, please,” he says as he flashes a smile at the worker. He looks around the airport while waiting for his latte but then spots a familiar figure waiting at gate 20. “Uh, add one more hot latte, please, merci.”

He approaches the familiar one with two grande sized beverages in both his hands. “Miss Dia, here,” he gives the hot latte to the girl. She looks up and smiles at the sight she sees. “Thank you.” Sungyeol then sits next to her while carefully putting his backpack on the seat next to him. “Didn’t know you take the same plane as me,” Sungyeol says as he grins sheepishly but Dia isn’t buying it. He looks at how she is still holding the box as if her whole life depends on it.

“I would like to show you something.”

Sungyeol takes a wooden urn box from his backpack. “I’ll let you hold him for one last time,” he says sorrowfully as he hands the urn to Dia. Tears start to well up again in her eyes. She hugs the medium sized wooden urn close to her.

“Myungsoo had never met any girls before you, Dia. Everything he had spent with you was all his firsts. His first love, his first kiss, his first date, his first dinner date, his first night as a man,” he chuckles slightly as he says the last phrase. “And also his first to be called as someone’s boyfriend, or as he said, ‘to be taken’.” Dia listens to Sungyeol closely while still holding on ‘him’.

“He was in the most painful position to force himself to break his relationship with you. He was having a meltdown right after he broke up with you abruptly,” Sungyeol utters bitterly. “I hope you could forgive him for being selfish and to only think about himself, as he was afraid – not afraid of death but he was afraid of not getting to see you anymore.”

Dia weeps silently; not wanting the people around to see her crying. “Myungsoo, that kid, he didn’t wish for anything else but for you to be safe and happy. Even without him by your side,” Sungyeol says. He gives her some of tissues before patting her back to comfort her. Dia takes a deep breath and returns the urn back at Sungyeol. “Thank you,” she tries to smile, “For giving me a final chance to hold him.” He smiles at her, “I’m sure Myungsoo would want to be held by you for the last time too.”

 

“Gate 20 for Flight KE902 to Incheon has opened. To passengers for Flight KE902, the plane is ready for boarding.”

 

Sungyeol and Dia board into the aircraft and go to their respective seats. Dia takes out the little black book from the box and flips it to the last page where there is an unticked bucket list. She smiles in tears as she ticks the small box.

 

For Dia to be happy even when I’m not around.

 

 

 




Dear Dia,
I belatedly apologize for writing a such heartbreaking story about you and Myungsoo TT
I hope it doesn't bore you (because it's too long)

And here's the teaser of B U C K E T L I S T, made by yours truly, as an extra present :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XXjWFRDy4

Love,
mademoiselle soymilk