Ghost (Dongwoo)

Alphabet

He no longer remembered how long he’d been dead.

 

The forest had been his home since forever. It was the only place he knew, and he couldn’t leave. Every time he tried, he would reappear at the exact place he died, unable to leave the suffocating cage the trees created. However, the constraints weren’t the main problem. It was the loneliness that got to him the most.

 

Donghyun had always been the only lost soul wandering the forest. There were no other ghosts to keep him company, and the living rarely even came near the line of trees. Occasionally, groups of children would play in the field next to the forest, and he would watch longingly from his prison, wishing he had some form of company.

 

His wish nearly came true in the form of a young boy.

 

The teens were back in the field, kicking a soccer ball around. Donghyun couldn’t bear to watch them, knowing they had the freedom and company he lacked. He sat on a fallen log farther inside the forest, where the sight of the living was hidden by the leaves.

 

He could hear the joyful shouts, the dull thud when someone kicked the ball extra hard, and the cheers when someone scored. Not for the first time, Donghyun cursed whatever caused him to be trapped on this planet as a ghost, not noticing that the field had fallen silent.

 

Donghyun first realized something was off when he heard twigs snap behind him. He whipped around, noticing the short boy who was scampering through the trees. After getting over his initial shock of seeing someone besides himself in the forest, Donghyun quickly stood and hid behind a tree, watching the boy move around in an erratic pattern.

 

The boy seemed to be looking for something as he swiveled his head from side to side and brushed aside low branches. Sure enough, the teen soon let out a triumphant cry and reached down. When he straightened up again, Donghyun saw that he was holding the soccer ball. One of the players must have kicked it too hard and sent it flying into the woods.

 

Cradling the ball in his arms, the boy turned and began walking through the trees again. Donghyun blinked in confusion, noticing that the boy was going deeper into the woods rather than heading back to his friends. Perhaps the kid didn’t realize he was going the wrong way?

 

Out of curiosity, Donghyun followed the boy as the latter headed deeper into the woods, and he wasn’t surprised when the boy’s footsteps slowed to a stop. He watched as the boy looked around in a panicky manner and scoffed lightly at how similar the boy’s behavior was to when Donghyun first woke up as a ghost.

 

Suddenly, Donghyun stiffened as an idea entered his mind. He was well aware of how easy it was to get lost and stay lost in this forest, wandering around aimlessly unless luck happened to be feeling kind. Donghyun figured fate was testing him, dangling a piece of meat in front of him and seeing if he would take a bite.

 

The temptation was great. Donghyun knew his days of endless loneliness could be over if the boy died. He could finally have a companion, someone who could make existing as a ghost easier to bear. Donghyun could do it too. He had experimented with his new lifestyle back when he just became a spirit. A good prodding from him and a tree could easily fall on and crush the boy.

 

It would only take a second.

 

“Mom!”

 

Donghyun snapped out of his daze when the boy let out a desperate shout. His target was close to tears as he paced this way and that through the trees. Donghyun hesitated for a moment more before stepping forward.

 

“Are you lost?” The boy jumped and spun around at Donghyun’s question. Donghyun watched surprise and suspicion flicker across the boy’s face until the teen settled with uncertain hopefulness.

 

When the boy nodded, Donghyun held out a hand. “Come with me,” he said softly. He waited for the other to reach out and take his hand. Both parties nearly flinched away when their fingers came into contact: Donghyun was surprised by how warm the boy’s hand was, and the boy was equally caught off guard by the coldness of Donghyun’s skin.

 

Nevertheless, Donghyun held the teen’s hand in a firm but gentle grip, guiding the younger back the way they came. The boy followed obediently and quietly, gaze fixed on the stranger who strode confidently through the confusing maze of trees and bushes. Neither one of them spoke, both unwilling to break the silence between them.

 

Donghyun came to an abrupt halt as he neared the edge of the trees. He could hear the frantic shouts as the living searched for the boy behind him; the name ‘Minwoo’ echoed over and over. Donghyun let go of the boy’s hand and stepped aside. “They’re waiting for you.”

 

Minwoo breathed out a thanks to Donghyun, giving the ghost a sincere smile of gratitude. Donghyun waited until the boy was looking away before slipping behind a tree, sitting with his back to the trunk and his head on his knees as he heard Minwoo’s friends greeting him.


“You are one lucky soul, Minwoo,” Donghyun whispered, feeling the warmth from Minwoo’s hand lingering on his cold fingers.