Lucky (Youngkwang)

Alphabet

Youngmin was getting aggravated.

It was a normal schedule. Boyfriend was at an interview to talk about their latest album, but somehow, the conversation had taken an unexpected turn. Now, Youngmin was being confronted with the problem of telling the story of when he sprained his ankle. If he had just sprained his ankle, he wouldn’t be stubbornly refusing to say anything, but the reason why he injured himself was too humiliating to spill.

Of course, the others weren’t helping, especially not Minwoo. The youngest had decided he wanted to be evil today and was mercilessly teasing the older boy.

“If you don’t tell, I’ll tell,” Minwoo threatened, smirking at Youngmin’s discomfort.

Youngmin glared at the shorter boy mutinously. Minwoo shrugged and turned to the cameras. “Youngmin was being stupid, and…”

“I saw a cat!” Youngmin blurted out. He lowered his gaze to his lap, face flushed with embarrassment as the others laughed. Next to him, Kwangmin shifted in his seat, scratching the back of his head restlessly.

“A cat made you twist your ankle?” The interviewer looked mildly amused.

“Not exactly.” Youngmin refused to look up from his lap, clearly unwilling to elaborate under the pressuring stares of the staff and other idols.

“He saw a cat and got excited,” Minwoo chipped in, “He forgot to be careful and got his foot caught under a tree root, so he tripped and sprained his ankle really badly.”

Youngmin quietly vowed to stuff some ice down Minwoo’s shirt later.

“That really happened?” The interviewer was laughing now. “Youngmin must really love cats then!”

“Yes, I do.” The older twin finally lifted his head. “I saw the cat and I approached it, but I didn’t see the tree root sticking out, so my foot got caught on it. I didn’t realize and ended up twisting my ankle as I fell.” He flexed his foot as he remembered the horrible pain from that accident.

“Ah, I see. You did call someone for help, right?”

“No, I couldn’t.” Youngmin shook his head. “I was by myself at that time, and I didn’t have my phone with me because Kwangmin was borrowing it. I was also in a place that no one really went to, so nobody found me either.”

“Oh, that’s really dangerous.” The interviewer shook his head sympathetically. “But what was Kwangmin doing with your phone? Don’t you have your own phone, Kwangmin?”

“Yeah, but I lost my charger that time, so Youngmin let me use his.” Kwangmin looked startled at the sudden address but answered nonetheless.

“So how did Youngmin get out of there?”

The idols began talking at once, saying different things but all pointing to Kwangmin with the props they had been given at the beginning of the interview. After a while, things calmed down, with the everyone looking expectantly at the twins. Youngmin hesitated before gesturing to Kwangmin. “I’ll let Kwangmin explain the rest.”

Kwangmin shot his brother a look before picking up the story. “I was in the kitchen looking for a snack when I had this feeling in my leg. Then my leg suddenly gave out, so I ended up sitting on the kitchen floor.”

“I was with him when that happened,” Donghyun piped up, “He dropped to the floor and just had this confused look on his face.” The leader mimicked Kwangmin’s bewilderment, eyes open wide and mouth shaped like an ‘o’. Laughter echoed around the room at Donghyun’s imitation while Kwangmin spluttered indignantly.

Donghyun took over the storytelling at this point. “So as Kwangmin was sitting on the floor, I asked him if he was okay. He just looked at me and kept saying, ‘I don’t know, I don’t know,’ and then he said his leg just gave out for no reason and his ankle was throbbing. I asked him if he twisted it or something, and he said, ‘No, hyung. I didn’t do anything.’”

“Wait, so Kwangmin’s ankle just started hurting for no reason?” The interviewer was met with nods of confirmation. “That’s interesting.”

“Then Kwangmin started asking about Youngmin. ‘Youngmin might be hurt, hyung. Is he back yet? We should go find him!’” Donghyun quoted Kwangmin’s words verbatim. “We weren’t certain then but went out to look for Youngmin anyway.”

“And you found him?”

“Kwangmin did. It took us about thirty minutes of searching before we finally found Youngmin sitting against a tree. Kwangmin offered to help him walk but ended up carrying Youngmin on his back since Youngmin’s ankle hurt too much.”

The interviewer nodded. “I see. Youngmin and Kwangmin are must be very close then, even though people say they’re awkward in public.”

“We’re not awkward!” The twins chorused furiously.

Jeongmin put his arm around Youngmin’s shoulders. “If you aren’t awkward, then you should say something to Kwangmin. Or give him a hug.”

“Don’t want to!” Youngmin rejected the idea immediately but backtracked when the staff shot him confused looks. “It’s not what you think. I’m really lucky that Kwangmin’s my twin, but we get shy in front of other people. That’s all.” Kwangmin nodded vigorously in agreement, but it wasn’t enough to stop the demand for brotherly affection. In the end, Donghyun asserted his position as leader and pushed the twins together, refusing to relent until they gave each other a hug.

When the twins finally let go, Minwoo piped up, “You know, you guys hugged for a pretty long time even though you said you’re shy.”