Jealousy (Youngkwang)

Alphabet

Kwangmin leaned over Hyunseong’s shoulder, peering at the comments that were displayed under their most recent music video. All six members were crowded around the laptop, reading what their fans had to say. Most of the comments were positive, talking about how handsome and talented the boys were.

 

However, Kwangmin wasn’t as happy as the others. While they were scrolling through the comments, he saw many people squealing over Youngmin. In comparison, Kwangmin’s fans seemed much scarcer, but he wasn’t bothered by that. He had long accepted that girls would like Youngmin more and no longer got jealous of how many fans his older brother had.

 

What bothered him was what the comments said. When Donghyun had paused through scrolling, Kwangmin saw a comment that talked about how Youngmin was much more attractive than Kwangmin. He was mildly upset at that, but the feeling only worsened when he saw how many people replied to the comment, agreeing with the insensitive thought.

 

At some point, Kwangmin had excused himself and headed for his room. He slid into bed, staring at the ceiling as the comment flashed before his eyes over and over. He hated being compared to Youngmin. Youngmin was always better. The older twin was approachable, popular, and ‘normal,’ unlike Kwangmin who had a colder look and was always off in his own world. Kwangmin just wished people would stop assuming that he had to be like Youngmin just because they were twins.

 

He had been so lost in thought that he jumped when he heard a knock on his door. He quickly settled down, pulling the blankets over his shoulder and rolling over so his back was facing the door. There was a click as the guest opened the door and a series of creaks as the person approached Kwangmin’s bed.

 

“Kwangminnie?”

 

Kwangmin pretended to be sleeping, making sure to leave his mouth slightly open since Youngmin had mentioned Kwangmin always slept with his mouth agape. The edge of his bed dipped as Youngmin sat down. Kwangmin willed himself not to react when he felt fingers his hair. A silence hung between the two. Youngmin busy smoothing his brother’s messy hair, and Kwangmin keeping up his facade of being asleep.

 

Kwangmin was just dozing off from his brother’s massaging when Youngmin spoke. “You can be really oblivious, you know.”

 

Kwangmin was suddenly wide awake again.

 

Youngmin sighed, removing his hand from Kwangmin’s head. “You always talk about how everyone is special in their own way, but you are blind to how special you are. Why do keep chasing after me, hmm?”

 

Youngmin paused again and returned to absentmindedly Kwangmin’s hair. Kwangmin relaxed into his mattress, waiting for his brother to continue speaking.

 

“You and I have said this many times: we’re twins, but that doesn’t mean we’re the same person,” Youngmin continued, “How can you expect to be like me when you aren’t me?” There was a faint rustle as Youngmin shifted into a more comfortable position, leaning against Kwangmin.

 

Kwangmin stiffened slightly at Youngmin’s last words, but the older twin wasn’t done yet. “You’re my cool and adorable little brother,” Youngmin said unabashedly, “You’re always staring into space, off in your own little world, and I wonder what kind of things you’re imagining. Your laughter is the most contagious laughter I’ve ever heard. I’m sure everyone would fall in love with you if they could hear you laugh. You at telling jokes though.” There was a third lapse. “But I’m bad at that too so I guess I shouldn’t talk.”

 

Kwangmin fought the smile threatening to creep across his face. He didn’t want Youngmin to realize he was awake yet.

 

“You’re also cute when you fawn over Pikachu, but then you don’t pay much attention to me,” Youngmin mumbled sadly, “So it would be great if we could solve that issue.”

 

Kwangmin silently debated on whether or not to sacrifice Pikachu for Youngmin.

 

“My point is,” Youngmin continued, “you’re special in your own way, Kwangminnie. I wouldn’t ask for anyone else to be my twin, and I hope you can be more confident in yourself in the future. I believe in you.”

 

Kwangmin could feel a slight burning behind his eyes and cursed his sensitivity. He couldn’t afford to start crying now. It was Youngmin’s fault for getting all sappy.

 

“Oh, and also…” The bed creaked as Youngmin leaned over to whisper into Kwangmin’s ear. “You might want to do a better of job of pretending to be asleep.”

 

It took a moment for Kwangmin to process what his brother said, but once he realized, he immediately sat up, turning to glare at Youngmin, who was already running down the hall. “Hey!” Kwangmin yelled playfully as he untangled himself from his blankets and went chasing after the older boy.

 

The two of them ended up knocking over a lamp as they chased each other around the dorm. After both receiving a sharp smack upside their heads from an irate Donghyun, they settled down on the couch. Kwangmin quietly read a book while Youngmin flipped through channels on the TV.

 

Kwangmin snuck a glance at Youngmin and reached over, hesitantly grabbing his brother’s hand. The ends of Youngmin’s mouth curled up slightly as he returned the gesture.


The rest of the world didn’t matter as long as they had each other.