Umbrella (Jeongseong)

Alphabet

Hyunseong sighed as he held his phone to his ear, watching the heavy rain drench the city of Seoul. The weather forecast had said nothing about the rain shower that was going to pass over Seoul this evening, so Hyunseong was stuck at work with no umbrella to shield him from the water droplets that were falling from the sky. He could only hope that one of his friends were available to give him a lift to his house.

“Hello?”

“Donghyun-hyung!” Hyunseong was so relieved that Donghyun answered the phone. The older was a responsible and selfless person, having gotten his friends out of sticky situations several times over. Hyunseong silently prayed that Donghyun would continue his streak of helpfulness and come drive Hyunseong home. “I’m trapped at my workplace. Could you come pick me up?”

"You don’t have your umbrella?”

Hyunseong winced. “The weatherman didn’t say it would rain today, so I left it at home.”

“Oh. I can’t go get you right now though. I have an important meeting in three minutes. If you can wait for around an hour, then I can drive you home after my meeting ends,” Donghyun says apologetically.

“Um.” Hyunseong bit his lip. If he waited for Donghyun, the rain would most likely cease by the time the meeting ended, so there would be no point in waiting for his friend. “I’ll call my other friends and see if someone else can come get me. I’ll let you know if I still need your help.”

“Alright,” Donghyun agrees, “Sorry I can’t help you out.”

They exchanged goodbyes, and Hyunseong immediately called his other friends. A few of them were too busy to help, one didn’t answer the phone, and now, Hyunseong was talking to the twins, Youngmin and Kwangmin.

“Sorry, hyung. Our parents took the car, and all of our umbrellas are still in the car from that time our family took a trip to Lotte World.” Youngmin talked over his brother’s laughter.

Hyunseong mentally groaned before thanking the twins for their time and hanging up. He snapped his phone shut and sighed, staring mournfully at the cars and people moving about outside. He was going to start bringing his umbrella with him everywhere now, rain or no.

Suddenly, an umbrella appeared before Hyunseong’s face. The tall man started, leaning back and blinking at the object. His eyes followed the limb holding it up and came face-to-face with a shorter man.

“Use this,” the man said, holding the umbrella a little closer.

Hyunseong hesitated. “Are you sure?”

“Go ahead.”

“How are you going to get home though?” Hyunseong hesitantly took the umbrella, not wanting to leave the other stranded in the building.

“My friend is picking me up. That’s him right there.” The shorter pointed to the black car that just pulled up in front of the building. “I’ll be going now. See you around.” With a quick wave, he dashed out the front door and swiftly dived into the passenger seat of the car. Hyunseong stared as the vehicle crawled down the street.

When the car was out of sight, he looked down at the umbrella he held. A white, rectangular piece of paper taped to the handle caught his eye, and he lifted it closer to his face so he could read the name scrawled on it.

Lee Jeongmin.