Mystery

Daring Woman

“Come on Jihyo. Stop acting like this.” I say to myself as I stare at my reflection. It's not like it's the end of the world. We're just two friends hanging out together. Friends... Maybe that's why I'm so nervous. She's the first person I've met in a long time, that I would consider, as annoy as she can be sometimes, a friend. I wouldn’t qualify myself to be considered a friend to her. But I've spent enough time with her to know that she'll disagree with me. My phone buzzed with a text saying that she's almost at my house. Suddenly I'm very nervous again and I know I don't have a reason to be. I reach to feel my heart and it's racing wildly. Why does the mere thought of you makes my heart act in a way I'm not used too?  Just what is it trying to tell me?  I wonder. I hope I can get through this night without doing something I'd regret.

As I was putting the final touches to my outfit I heard the doorbell ring. You're here I said to myself. I look at myself one last time in the mirror before I head to the door. I wish I had prepared myself more because I wasn't expecting to see you so dolled up, even if you were only dressed in casual clothing. This is the first time I’ve seen you with your hair in an up do. “Wow you look great.” The words slipped out of my mouth before I had a chance to stop them. “Thank you, pretty girl,” you giggle. “You look stunning like always.” I feel a slight blush form across my face. We stood there in an awkward silence for no longer than a minute but to me it seemed far longer.

“Umm… before I forget. I bought you these.” Before I had a chance to process what was happening, you had already taken five yellow roses from behind your back. “Min... Mina they’re beautiful,” I'm still surprised by the gift. “I didn't know what your favorite color was, but you seem to wear a lot of yellow to work so, I just assumed that you must really like the color. If you don't like them I could always take them back....” I find it cute how you ramble when you're embarrassed. “You didn't have to buy me flowers Mina but you are right, yellow is my favorite color.” It tickled me when I heard you release a sigh of relief. “I'm grateful you like them. You don't know how long I stayed in the flower shop trying to figure out the perfect flower for you.”

The heat from my face was radiating to my ears now. Truly no one has ever been this sweet and caring to me before. “Th... thank you.” There's that pesky shutter in my voice again. “Well I think we should get going now pretty girl before it gets colder outside.” For a moment, there I forgot how to walk when you smiled at me. “Let me just go get my coat.” I had to will my feet to move as you kept your eyes locked on mine.

When we reached your car, you continued to surprise me as you held the door open for me. “Your chariot awaits my dear.” I couldn't help but release a soft chuckle at your corny but sweet antics. “Ahh, there's the sound I've been waiting for all day.” I'll never understand how you can say such things with a straight face, while I'm the only one that's unable to look you in the eyes. “So, what movie are we seeing?” We were on our way to what I assumed was the city's movie theater. “Well since the last time didn't go so well, I thought it would be a good idea to try something new. So, instead of going to the movies we're going ice skating. Then from there we can have dinner at my place since you were so kind to cook for me. I figured I would show you how to make an easy Japanese dish.”

I started to worry because I've never been ice skating before and to be honest I've never learned how to skate. “What's wrong pretty girl? Do you not want to do it?” “Oh, no that's not it it's just I don't know how to,” I whispered the last part because I felt ashamed at not knowing how to do something as simple as skating. My hand jerked slightly when I felt something reach out and grab it. But once I realized it was your hand intertwining our fingers together, I quickly relaxed. Your touch is so warm compared to my frigid touch.

“Don't worry too much about it. I'll be with you the entire time. If you feel like you're about to fall, then please don't hesitate to hold on tightly to me. Okay?” Just hearing your voice calms me down. ‘I might have to stick to you like glue today.” That was meant to be a joke, yet I feel your hold on my hand tighten. “That will be perfectly fine with me.” I had to hold in a small sigh that threatened to escape my mouth. You didn't let go of my hand until we reached the ice rink.

“I think tonight will be a good night, don't you think?” I still wasn’t confident enough to say anything so, I simply nodded my head. When we finally reached the insideof the building I was amazed at how big it was. There were people skating everywhere. A few times I saw someone fall. And hit the ice below. I felt my self-confidence sink a bit but that didn't last long because I remembered I was with you.

“Are you ready to learn how to ice skate?” “I... I think so but do you still promise not to let go of me?” I know I sounded like a little child but I really was afraid of looking like a fool. I” told you I wouldn't leave your side. Do you trust me?” I thought about it for a couple of seconds before answering. “No, I don’t.” That made the both of us bust out in a fit of giggles. “If you would please wait right here and I'll go get our shoes.” “Okay I'll be waiting.” And with that she was gone. I took my time looking all around the place. This seems like it would be a good place to learn something new I thought.

“Well, if it isn't Park Fatsoo.” I shivered at that voice. It’s been ages since I've heard that same shrill voice but I knew very well whom it belonged too. Nayeon, my tormentor. “I never would have fathomed that you'd come to a place like this. I guess you figured this was the only place that could withstand your weight.” She sniggered. I stood there frozen with fear, just like I did when I was in school. I reverted to that same little frightened girl who couldn’t defend herself. I felt my eyes begin to sting and I knew my tears weren't that far behind. As she walked closer to me and I attempted to run away but my body wouldn't listen. All I could do was look at the ground and hope this will all be over soon. “Hey fatty, have you forgotten your name so quickly huh or has being so overweight finally damaged your hearing?” I felt her sharply poke me on my forehead. I’m older now so why does she still have this control over me?

“Her name is Park Jihyo and I would appreciate it if you'd called her that. “I look up to find you standing beside me. “And who are you supposed to be her bodyguard?” I feel you take hold of my hand and pull me behind you. “No, I'm not her bodyguard, I'm her friend.” My friend? So, she does consider me as one. My heart fluttered at your unyielding stance. “Her friend? Did she pay you to do?” I hate hearing that laugh. She'll never know how many nightmares I've had because of it. “If you don't have anything useful to say, then please leave.” Who knew you could be so charming especially defending someone like me. “And if I don't? What do you think you could do to me?” Nayeon came closer to us to the point she was practically in your face. “Mi… Mina.” I tried to put some distance between the two of you but you wouldn't budge. “I have a black belt in jiu-jitsu. If you want to try me, then please go ahead but I promise you’ll be on the floor before you could ever do anything to me. You wouldn't think you had this side just by looking at you. Even I was a bit frightened by you. For the hundredth time, tonight I find myself amazed by you. “You're not worth my time, either of you.” She sneered as she bumped pass the both of us.

“Are you okay?” Before I could answer I was wrapped tightly in your embrace. “I am now thanks to you.” “I'm sorry for acting that way. I'm usually a very calm person buy when I heard the things she said to you and saw how much it hurt you I just.... my blood started to boil.” I don't know what possessed me to hold on to you tighter but I didn't second guess it. “You have nothing to be sorry for. I must admit that was very brave of you to protect me like that.” I break the hug so I could get a good look at her. It was kind of awkward whenever we would lock eyes with one other.

“Do you still want to ice skate or would you rather do something else?” It's endearing how you could get so shy. “You're not getting off that easily Myoui Mina. You promised to teach me and that's what you're going to do.” God when did I get to be this mushy. Your corniness must be wearing off on me but when I see how happy it made you, I somehow did mind it. “Okay I'll go first and then you can follow me.” ‘Alright but don't go to fast.” “I promise I won't.” I watched as she effortlessly glides onto the ice. I want to be as grateful as her but I know it won't happen any time soon. “Alright, now first things first. Grab onto the railings and come out at your own pace.”

Well that doesn't sound so difficult. I did as she said and slowly made my way on the ice. “Good you're doing a great job.” I wanted to laugh at how thrilled she sounded. “Okay now give me your right hand.” Easier said than done. I tried to do as she said but every time I lessened my grip on the railing I felt as if I were about to fall. So, basically, I looked like an idiot clinging to the side of a rail. “Here can you put your hand on my shoulder?” I tried but I still felt as if I was going to fall. “I don't think I can do this.” “Of course, you can.” You stood in front of me and placed both your hands on my waist to help steady me. “Do you think you can do it now?” “No...” “Would it help if we were closer?”

I wasn't expecting to hear something like that. I must look bewildered but that didn't stop you from moving in closer to me. Thank goodness, we were at the far end of the skating rink. There weren't many people to spy on us. God, I could only imagine what may be going on through their minds. They probably would have guessed that we were a couple. I quickly shake that idea out of my mind. You took one of your hands off my waist and gently laid it on one of my hands. “I'm going to place your hand on my shoulder. I'll do it slowly so you don't fall.” “O… okay.” I was surprised at how easily you got me to let go of the railing and hang on to you. I know it must be hard trying to balance not only yourself but me as well, since I was literally clinging to you for dear life.

“That’s good. You’re doing an excellent job.” “I wouldn’t call me barely moving my feet a good job.” “You must take baby steps before you can really enjoy this.” Well I guess she was right and I did manage to stand some on my own. The more she led me around the rink the more comfortable I felt. “Do you think you try this without my holding on to you? I won’t go far away from you in case you feel as if you’re about to fall.” “We can try.” “Okay I’ll let go on the count of three.” “Alright.” “One two three.”

Slowly she releases me and for once I feel as if I can stand on my own two feet. I may not be as graceful as she is but at least I’m trying. “That’s it pretty girl. Soon you’ll be better than me.” If anyone else had told me that I would have called them a liar but with you it’s different. I know when you say things like that it’s to boost my self-confidence. I couldn’t hide the smile that graced my face. “With a few more lessons I’ll certainly be better than you.” “So, does that mean you’ll allow me to can take you out more?” When I heard that I instantly lost my footing. I thought I would fall face first against the cold hard ice but that’s not what happened. No, I was perfectly safe.

In the mists of me falling you quickly rushed to my aid and had taken a direct fall backwards. That’s how I managed to end up on top of you. “Are you, okay pretty girl?” “Forget about me. Are you okay? I didn’t crush you with my weight, did I?” Surprisingly enough you gave me an annoyed look when I said that. “You didn’t crush me because you’re as light as a feather.” You would think that being in such a position would have me blushing but no. it doesn’t have the same effect on me as your words to me do. The more we lie with each other the more I see how your eyes focus on mine, like they’re searching for something.

Call me crazy but occasionally, I think I catch you glimpse at my lips… “I think that enough lessons for one day.” I try to steady my breath. “Plus, I bet you want me to get off you.” I lightly chuckle. “Why would I want a silly thing like that?” The seriousness in your voice and the unyielding glare of your eyes gave me goosebumps all over my body. I couldn’t take it anymore when you attentively placed a few strands of my hair behind my ear. “We… we should go now.” Your wish is my command,” you whispered. My body isn’t doing a great job of listening to me today because I was still on top of you and the worst part of it is I knew you didn’t mind it at all.

“I would love to spend more time with you like this but I just remembered that I have to make dinner for you.” That smirk on your face was growing. I quickly and carefully got up. The last thing I needed now was a repeat of what just happened.

“I hope the skating lesson wasn’t too much of a bore for you pretty girl.” We were back in your car headed to your house. “Oh, no it was fun.” Except for the part where I basically didn’t want to get off you. I kept that part to myself. “Ah home sweet home.” We pull into the driveway of a small little house. “Sorry it’s not as big has yours”, you joked as we entered your home. You were right your home wasn’t as big as mine but despite that your home has something mine doesn’t. Your home felt like a real home.

It’s so warm and inviting and has the distinct smell of lavender and honey. It’s exactly the kind of place you’d like to come home to after a hard day’s work. Unlike mine that just feels like a big empty space. “Please make yourself at home. I’ll go wash the ingredients and then we can start cooking.” I place my things down and take my time looking around your home. I must say it’s nice looking at your childhood and family pictures. It seems like you had a pleasant upbringing with both your parents and your siblings. I wish my life was more like that growing up.

“I haven’t changed much in appearance, have I?” Your voice brought me out of my thoughts. “No, you haven’t. You’re still the same short dork that won’t leave me alone.” I was starting to worry that I offended you because you hadn’t said or did anything to me like you usually do. I could only stand and watch as your eyes stared at me. “That was a joke, you know.” I tried to defend myself. “I like it when you joke like that. it really brings out your beautiful side.” Maybe when I landed on you it did more damage than I thought. “How does that bring out my beautiful side?” You didn’t say anything, you only stepped closer to me which made me subconsciously take a step back. “Your smile looks so beautiful when you’re happy and carefree.” I wonder how many more times she’s going to make my face blush. “Anyway, I’ve cleaned all the ingredients now. We can start your cooking lesson,” you grin. I’m not sure if I should be worried or not…  

“So, what are we making because I’m not the world’s best cook.” “Relax and enjoy yourself you say as you put my apron on. That’s one of the best things about cooking. You don’t have to be an expert to try it. As to what we’re going to make it’s very simple. We’re going to make Japanese beef bowls. It’s was always my favorite growing up and hopefully you’ll enjoy it took.” I let out a sigh of relief. That really doesn’t sound that hard to make. “You can start cutting up the onions while I put the rice on.”

I did what you said and sure enough with your guidance I was really making something with my own two hands. Although, you did most of the work. It was so much fun watching you concentrate on the task at hand. It only took us an hour to finish up cooking everything. “Wow this really looks delicious.” I say in wonder. “Yes, it does and you should be proud of yourself since you helped make it.” I give a shy smile. “Umm I wanted to ask you something. How do you know jiu-jitsu? You don’t seem like the type of person that would need to learn that. I mean everyone seems to like you.” “Including you?” I almost chocked om my food when she asked me that.

“I don’t like you. I just tolerate you enough to spend time with you.” You let out slight chuckle. “Fair enough pretty girl. But to answer your question, when I said I was a black belt that was a bit of a bluff on my end.” You let out a nervous laugh. “Mina! What were you thinking? You could have been beaten up if she didn’t believe you.” You looked like you were lost in thought before answering. “Well I do know some of it. My brother was also bullied in school. So, he took lessons and he taught me some of what he knows but it’s been awhile since I’ve thought it. To be honest I wasn’t thinking, well at least not about anything other than protecting you. I’ve seen firsthand what that does to a person. If she would have beaten me up, I’d been fine with that as long as I know you were safe.”

I’m speechless at your confession. “I’m not sure if you’ve guessed it or not, but I like you. I really like you but more than a friend. I’m not sure if you even consider me as a friend.” Again, I’m left without words. “I… I don’t know what to say.” “It’s okay you don’t have to say anything. I just thought you should know is all.” I sat there just staring at the half-eaten food on my plate. “I’ve made you feel uncomfortable, haven’t I? I sincerely apologize for that.” Every time I try to form words my tongue disobeys me and all I’m left with is silence. This made you clench your fist together in a tight ball. I could tell you were frustrated but not with me. You were frustrated at yourself for telling me your feelings and its effects on me.

“I’ll leave you to enjoy your food prett…. I mean Jihyo. When you’re done let me know and I’ll take you home.” You were almost out the kitchen when you turned to me once more. “I don’t feel sorry for the way I feel about you because you brought me so much happiness. My only regret is not finding you sooner.” I dared not look at you. I knew it would break my heart to see you like that. I heard you let out a muffled sigh before you left me to my thoughts.

I tried for the longest to wrap my head around the thought of your feelings for me but in my mind, it makes no sense. I mean it’s true she hasn’t been very subtle about what she thinks about me. With the longing gazes and the corny things, she says to get me to smile. No one has ever given me that much of their attention before. It was a nice feeling, but still why would someone as kind and caring as yourself ever want to be with someone like me. God knows you could do so much better.

So many questions were whirling around in my head but only one seemed to stick out to me the most. Do I like her back? All this thinking was starting to give me a major headache. I need to confront her and let her clean up this confusion I have. So, with heavy steps I make my way to where she is. “Are you ready to go now?” I didn’t miss the way your voice trembled and how your eyes lost their brightness they once had. “I was wondering if we could dance like we did before”. A look of confusion spread across your face. “Please.”  This time I didn’t try to hide the vulnerability in my voice. You immediately rushed to my side.

“I … umm… put some more music in my playlist if that’s okay.” I smile a little. “Of course, it is.” “Okay then, let me put some music on.” It was so cute watching you fumble with your phone that I could help but smile. “Do you still remember how to waltz?” You hold out your hands for me to take but I gently pull them down. “I don’t want to waltz. I want, no I need you to hold me like you did that day.” I see you fight with yourself but ultimately you gave into my request. Timidly you wrap your hands around my waist as I wrap my arms around your neck. You made sure to put some space between us and I can’t say that I’m not sadden by that.

I think other than the first time we met, this was one of the most awkward moments between us. You wouldn’t even look at me like you used to, like I wanted you too… This went on for at least three songs. It got to the point where you weren’t trying to hold on to me anymore and that angered me. “Is that how you hold someone you like?” I see shock wreck your face. I must admit I’m surprised at myself also. “You tell me you like me but when I’m here standing in front of you, you act as if you want nothing to do with me. Why?” I didn’t realize my voice had gotten that loud but then again this wasn’t me that was talking. No, this was my heart. “You think you can just make me feel like I truly mean something to someone, then… then act as if I mean nothing.” I felt my chest tighten and the first of many tears fall from my eyes. It’s only then that I felt your hand caress my face.

“Forgive me for the way I acted but I was scared. I’ve never confessed my feelings to anyone before so I don’t know how to do it properly.” “You think I’m not scared too?” I jerked myself out of your grasp. “I’m terrified at the feelings I’m beginning to have for you. And the worst part is I can’t seem to stop them. As hard as I may try they linger. Do you know that even when you’re not around me I can still feel you there with me? You caused me to feel things I never thought I would have for another person.” It’s hard to speak when you’re fighting back tears. I don’t know what to do with my myself anymore. I wanted to curl into a tiny ball and just shut the whole world away.

I felt you take hold of me once again and this time it felt like you would never let me go. “Please don’t cry. My heart can’t bear to see that. I wasn’t running away from you. I’d never do that. I just wanted you to have time to think. I didn’t want you to feel burdened by my feelings.” You loosen your hold on me and gently lift my head so that I’m looking directly in your eyes. “I like you and I swear to you from the bottom of my heart that is the truth.” I knew she was telling the truth but I needed to know the reason. “Why? Why do you like me Mina?” It’s been so long since I heard myself sound so lifeless. You lightly wipe the tears away from my face.

“I like you because there is on one like you. I like you because you’re strong willed and independent. I like you because, when I gaze into your eyes I fell myself fall deeper and deeper for you. I like you because you have the cutest smile and laugh. I like you because you’re not easily obtained. I want to be at my best to win your love and affection because you deserve nothing less. I want to be able to hear and see your happiness every day. You make my heart race whenever I see you. I admire that you’re honest and trustworthy. I want to know what it's like to have you give me your heart and to give you mine. I want to know that I can be there for you whenever you need someone. I want to be able to call you mine, so that no one else has that chance.”

There's a frenzy of emotions running through me as I look deeper into your eyes. “But most importantly of all. I desperately want to know how it is to kiss those perfect lips of yours.” I release an unsteady breath I didn't know I had when I saw you inching closer to me. “May I kiss you?” Your eyes are darker now than I have ever seen them. The type of dark eyes that makes a person seem mysterious. But I know you and you're the type that wears their heart on their sleeve. I guess you could say that's one of the things I like most about you.

“If I were to say no how would that affect you?” We kept our eyes on one another while you searched for the answer. “I'd be devastated but I'd respect your wishes.” “And if I fall for another person?” You thought about it for a few seconds. “Then I'd still respect your choice although it would hurt like hell. But if the person you choose doesn't treat you the way you deserve to be treated, then I'd try for your heart again.” How do you seem to know the right things to say? “You know I'm not supposed to have feelings for someone like you, but I do and I can't seem to find the reason why.” “Maybe it's because of my dashing good looks.” You give me a cheesy smile. “No that’s, definitely not the reason.” You fake a hurt expression.

“I would have never assumed that girl would be the one competing for my affection.” “D… does that bother you?”, you stutter. I remind myself how I feel wherever you look at me or how I feel whenever you hold me. How you make me smile whenever you smile and how protected you made me feel today. You made me feel all those things not because you were a girl but because you’re you. Without any thought at all I nestle myself in the crook of your neck and breathe in your sweet perfume. “The only thing that bothers me is the way I’ve treated you.” You hold me tighter than anyone else has.

“Don’t be because it only made me fight harder for you.” My chest tightens again at your words. Like the first time you held me we danced in a comfortable silence. Your heartbeat sounds so soothing and strong to my ears. You let me basically use you as a pillow until the last song plays. I was so much at peace that I could have easily fell asleep in your arms. “I should take you home pretty girl. It’s almost eleven o’clock.” Is it too soon to say I didn’t want this night to end? I heave a heavy sigh. “Okay.” I head you start to chuckle. “I’ll get your coat and things.” I miss your warmth as soon as you’re away from me.

“So, is it safe to say I can call you mine?” You bashfully ask as your putting my coat on me. “Do you even have to ask?” You instantly light up like a child in a candy store. “But I think we should take things slowly. I’m still getting used to all this.” “You’re so cute when you get shy.” I hate it when people squeeze my cheeks together. I tried to swat your hands away, but that didn’t do any good because that gave you the perfect opportunity to intertwine our fingers together. “I promise to never let go of your hand.” You give it a small kiss and I can feel my whole-body light up with heat. “I’ll take you home now my lady.” I think I could have died when you winked at me. What did I just get myself into?...

When you said, you wouldn’t let go of my hand, I didn’t think you meant it in the literal sense… You held my hand as you walked me to your car and didn’t let go on the ride to my house. We’re at my door step and you still insisted on holding my hand. “Well my lady I hope you had a great time tonight.” “I did but I kind of need my other hand to open my door.” You quickly let go of it. “I’m sorry, I guess I got carried away with myself.” “That’s alright really, I didn’t mind it all.” We stand there not knowing what to do at this point. “Umm can I text you when I get home? You know to let you know I made it home safety.” “I’d rather you call me.” Now it was your turn to blush. “O…okay. H… have a goodnight pretty girl.”

Just as you’re about to leave my side I quickly grab your hand and pull you closer to me. “Wait! Could you close your eyes for me?” your face contorts in a baffled way. “You’re not going to hit me for being too cute are you.” I let out a low groan. “Okay okay I’m sorry. I’ll do as you asked, my lady.” Once your eyes are fully closed I take the time to steady my breath. I’ve never done anything like this before so, I’ve very nervous that’ll mess something up. “Are you sure you aren’t going to hit me pretty …?” I cut you off with my lips so, I could stop your excessive babbling but also because I feel this is what my hearts wants me to do. I can’t lie to myself and say that I’ve haven’t at least thought about how kissing you would be like. Although I would never tell you that because I would never hear the end of it.

I could tell you weren’t expecting me to do this by the way jumped slightly. Luckily your shock wore off within seconds. Your hands were back on my waist anchoring me in your embrace. This was our first kiss together and it was magical. You weren’t forceful and let me control the depth of the kiss. Your lips brushed softly against my own. I think I could get used to this, especially if you keep releasing those soft sighs.

When we finally broke apart I saw an astonished looked in your eyes and your once perfect smile was now askew. “What did I do to deserve such a flawless kiss, my lady?” You rest your forehead on top of mine. “That’s for being so sweet and cheesy to me,” I smile. “May I have another one?” “Let’s not get carried away with ourselves.” I try to scold you but it only made you laugh. “I’ll call you as soon I get home.” “Alright, but please be careful Mina.” “Anything for you. Goodnight my lady.” Cheesy to the very end.

 I didn’t want you to let me go but I knew it was futile, you had to go and we both needed to rest. “If you’re free tomorrow I can come back and we could go see a movie.” “I’d really like that.” I thought my cheeks might fall off due to how much I was smiling. “Great I’ll see you then.” Before you go you give my hand one final kiss. I watch as you make your way back you your car and drive away. This must be a dream I’m in I tell myself. But if it is then why do I still feel as if I’m sitting on cloud nine whenever you’re with me.

I must say I’m impressed at how you’ve managed to get under my skin without me noticing at all. Your kiss still lingers on my lips and I can taste the cherry flavor of your lip gloss. I blush at the thought that I finally have someone to call mine and who truly gets me. It’s a great feeling to have. I promised myself  I’d do everything in my power not to lose it. I know you’d do the same for me. I make my way back into the house. It didn’t take long for me to get ready for bed. Not too much longer after I settle into bed I heard my phone start to buzz. I smile knowing that’s it’s no one other than you. I could tell that we weren’t getting much sleep tonight and I didn’t care one bit about it.

 

Well my friends what do you think about this chapter =D. they had their first kiss together ^^unlike the ious chapter I made the pov clear. Let me know what you'd like to see in the next chapter. Until then my loves. Be safe and happy  <3