Even the wind is afraid - Chapter 9

Even the wind is afraid

CHAPTER IX

 

Everybody was devastated, Heechul was still in shock and Siwon had to stay with him. Yunho was sitting in his bed; the love of his life was dead and he never got to confess his feelings. His heart was broken; he didn’t say anything, he just hugged his knees and wouldn’t stop crying.

 

“He was the best friend I have ever had.” Junsu said crying while his brother, who was crying as well, hugged him, “I still can’t believe he’s…”

“No, don’t say it Junho!” Changmin said between sobs; even when they weren’t exactly friends, Jaejoong had always been nice to him. “Why did he insist on going to that ing tower? He knew he was there.” Junho sobbed “and why would he do this to Jae? What did Yoochun gained from that?” Junsu cried, “No one ever knows what the dead want.” Changmin answered.

 

“Tomorrow I’m getting the hell out of here; I can’t deal with all this !” Siwon yelled while holding Heechul who was a bit calmer but kept crying. “Yes, this place is cursed.” Yunho said.

 

The night went by between cries. After the police was called and the report was made, Principal Lee and Professor Bae were walking to a small temple that was part of the school; there was Jaejoong’s body ready to be delivered to his parents as soon as they arrived.

 

Have Jaejoong’s parent being notified yet?” Principal Lee asked Professor Bae, “I’ve called three times but I only get the voice mail, maybe the police have better luck.”

“Keep calling.”

“Are you going in?”

“Yes, I want to say a prayer next to him.”

“You’re tormenting yourself sir.”

“Professor Bae, I’d like to thank you for not reproaching me but that doesn’t change anything; you warned me and I didn’t listen to you. I’m the only responsible in this.”

“No, don’t say that, this was an accident.”

“Like the other one, right?” the professor couldn’t say anything more and just lowered his head. The principal put a hand on his shoulder, “Go with the boys; try to calm them down.”

 

The professor nodded and went back to the dorm while Principal Lee went into the temple and kneeled next to Jaejoong’s body; he was lying before the altar covered with a white blanket.

 

He began to say a prayer when suddenly Jaejoong’s hand moved. At first he thought his eyes were playing a cruel prank on him but he saw the hand move again and so did his chest! Principal Lee took off the blanket and almost had a heart attack when he saw that Jaejoong was alive, “Where am I?” Jaejoong asked and sat up, “You’re alive… you’re alive!” The principal exclaimed and hugged the boy who was still confused, “I have to tell the rest, they’re not going to believe it, you’re alive!” he kept exclaiming and ran to tell the others.

 

They called Dr. Kim to check on Jaejoong and the doctor said he was in perfect shape; he couldn’t believe it either but he was looking for a scientific answer.

 

“This is a miracle doctor.” Professor Bae said, “Maybe but you have to understand that that cannot be my diagnosis. I’m more of a realist.”

“Or more of a sceptic.” Principal Lee said, “I have to, to a case of resurrection.” Dr. Kim commented while cleaning his glasses, “And what do you call this, doctor?”

“A misdiagnosis. You took him for dead when he was only unconscious.”

“Dr. Kim’s right professor,” Principal Lee said, “We were all so nervous and shocked that maybe we got it wrong.”

“What I really can’t understand, is how could a boy that fell from such height doesn’t have a single fracture, not even a bruise… anyway. Have a good afternoon.” Dr. Kim said and got in his car; before he left Professor Bae approached to the window, “Dr. Kim, there’s something that worries me. Jaejoong seems to be very affected, like… distant, sometimes he doesn’t even hear us, he’s always absent.”

“My dear professor, let’s just be happy that he’s alive and trust me, nobody resurrects.” Dr. Kim said smiling and started up his car.

 

“Jaeboo, I was looking for you… what are you looking at?” Yunho asked Jaejoong, “Nothing.” He said but kept looking at Principal Lee that was walking a few feet ahead. “Oh yeah, we have class with the ogre. Look, I did the questionnaire for you, here.” Yunho said and handed him a sheet of paper, “Thanks, I got it.” Jaejoong said in a cold way and left leaving Yunho with his hand in the air; that weirded him out, this was not the Jaejoong he knew and loved.

 

During Literature class, Principal Lee was explaining the aspects of romanticism in poetry; the boys were taking notes and fighting with all their might not to fall asleep. When he finished his explanation, he saw Jaejoong looking out the window distracted, “Seems like your classmate has better things to think about.” He said out loud calling Jaejoong’s attention, “I’m listening sir.”

“Then please explain to the class, what do you understand from these two manifestations?”

 

Jaejoong stood up, “The rise of popular literature is an opposition to the classical reaction; the primitive texts are edited and in occasions are invented, as in the case of Ossian, the Czech manuscripts from Linda, the lyrical poems of Mérimeé and the Slavik ones of Glinka. As for the exoticism it is manifested by a special predilection towards the east, Egypt in particular and it originates a new fashion whose best representative is Washington Irving.”

 

Everybody’s jaws were on the floor by the time he finished; they all knew Jaejoong at Literature class and all of a sudden he’s an erudite?

 

“Excellent, I see you have studied ahead of our class, where did you read that?” Principal Lee asked still surprised, “In the book of Emma, it’s in the library.”

“Well, congratulations, I wish you would’ve done the same during the whole semester. Very well, let’s continue with the class.” The principal stood up and continued with his lesson. Yunho whispered to Heechul, “Jaejoong in the library?” Heechul shrugged his shoulders, “He must’ve picked the wrong door.”

 

❁❁❁❁