Even the wind is afraid - Chapter 10

Even the wind is afraid

CHAPTER X

 

Mr. Kim was sitting on a bench fixing the tower’s padlock when Jaejoong approached him, “Good morning Mr. Kim.”

“Good morning young sir.”

“What are you doing?”

“Fixing this padlock so no one can go in there.” He said and pointed to the tower with his head, “You say that because of me?”

“Because of everyone; if any of you boys go back up there, Principal Lee will fire me in a heartbeat.” He said to Jaejoong and put the padlock in the tower door making sure it was locked. “There! Closed and locked ‘til the day of the final judgement.” Mr. Kim joked. Jaejoong smiled, “You said that the last time.”

“Oh, but that time it…” Mr. Kim stooped mid-sentence, “What last time?”

“The first time you put the padlock. After… after that.” Jaejoong said and his face turned sour. Mr. Kim approached the boy, “And how do you know that child? You weren’t in this school yet.”

“Right,” Jaejoong said, “I wasn’t here yet… I don’t know… I think someone told me that story.” He said and left before Mr. Kim could ask him anything else.

 

Everybody kept going on with their things like nothing had happened but Yunho and Professor Bae were suspicious of Jaejoong’s attitude; it wasn’t the same. It was as if someone else was using his body.

 

That night, the wind was blowing like crazy, the principal was about to go to bed when he heard a piano. He came out of his room and bumped into Professor Bae who had heard the music as well. “Professor, what are you doing up so late?” he asked “A piano woke me up. Did you hear it too?”

“Of course I did, there’s someone in the music room.” He was about to walk towards the stairs but Professor Bae held him by the arm. “No, don’t go!” the professor cried, “It’s him, don’t you recognize that song? Park Yoochun always played that song!”

“Would you stop with that nonsense? Come on!” the principal said and the both of them went down the stairs.

 

They opened the door but saw no one, just the shadow of someone very familiar to them. Professor Bae freaked out, “Yoochun… it’s Yoochun!” he yelled. The principal the light and found Jaejoong was the one at the piano, “Kim Jaejoong! What are you doing here?!” he asked very angry, “Nothing, I couldn’t sleep and…”

“And you decided that nobody else could, do you?”

“I don’t think anybody could hear me.”

“Go back to your room and come see me in my office first thing tomorrow morning.”

“Yes Sir.” Jaejoong said and was about to walk out but Professor Bae stopped him, “Jaejoong, where did you learn that song?”

“I’ve been practicing it lately…”

“Now it’s not time to discuss music, go back to your room.” Principal Lee interrupted. Jaejoong left and Professor Bae asked the principal, “Do you realize what it’s going on here?”

“Yes, I realize that the discipline in this institution is lacking.” Principal Lee said in an angry tone, “No, I’m talking about Jaejoong, about his bizarre resurrection, about this sudden piano ability he never had before.”

“Professor, that Chopin piece was not exclusive of Park Yoochun, Just as neither were any of his habits.”

“You really think that?” Professor Bae asked a bit frustrated, “Those are just simple coincidences and if Jaejoong all of a sudden develops a liking to cosmos flowers, I wouldn’t worry.” Principal Lee said, “That’s good to know sir because I wasn’t sure to make you notice… this.” Professor Bae said and showed him the cosmos flower; the principal widened his eyes in horror but tried to play it cool and just left the room.

 

The next morning, Professor Bae stopped Jaejoong when he was about to enter Principal Lee’s office. “Jaejoong, I would like to have a word with you.” They approached a couch and they were about to sit when the school’s cat, that was lying there hissed aggressively to Jaejoong, “That cat has never liked me.” He stated with a smile. The professor looked at him dumbfounded; Jaejoong loved that cat and he was always pampering him, this was the first time the cat acted so aggressively with anybody; he was only aggressive with… Yoochun; he didn’t like cats since he was allergic. The cat ran off and they sat down. “Jaejoong, what is wrong? You’ve changed.” The professor asked him “Everything has changed here professor and it’s his fault.” He said in an angry tone. “Why does everybody hate him? Principal Lee can be hard at times but that’s how you have to be if run a school like this.”

“No,” Jaejoong said, “he is mean and cruel.”

“Maybe, but he’s a man that has had very bad luck in life.”

“So have you and yet you’re kind. If the principal didn’t intervene in your life, you probably would have married that girlfriend.” Jaejoong said making the professor looked at him as if he had grown a second head, “Who told you that?”

“You did. You told me about this girl you were dating and that Principal Lee made you break up with her. Don’t you remember?”

“Yes, I told a student of mine that story one day… but it wasn’t you, it was him… Park Yoochun.” He said in horror; Jaejoong looked away. Professor Bae grabbed him by the arms forcing Jaejoong to face him, “Jaejoong, look at me, how can you remember something I spoke many years ago with a student you never met? Tell me please, tell me!” he cried, “What is going on here?” Principal Lee said coming out of his office. “Nothing sir, I was reprehending Jaejoong for last night.”

“I was expecting you Kim Jaejoong, come in.” Jaejoong released himself from Professor Bae’s grip and went in the office followed by the principal.

 

“Jaejoong, what has happened these last few days is forcing me to make a decision. Tomorrow I’ll notify your parents to come pick you up.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes. You have the day off to prepare your luggage, and one last thing: after dinner you are forbidden to leave your dormitory for any reason. Understood?”

“Yes sir.”

“I wish to avoid any problems, besides, you are still under the weather… and the nights are very cold.”

“Yes, very cold.” Jaejoong answered in a monotone way. “I’ll see you tomorrow; you’re dismissed.” Principal Lee said and Jaejoong went to the door. He turned around and looked at Principal Lee, “Thank you for this final night.”

 

❁❁❁❁