Even the wind is afraid - Chapter 7

Even the wind is afraid

CHAPTER VII

 

The next morning in the garden, the boys gathered around Professor Bae and told him what had happened. Professor Bae was shocked and he couldn’t believe them, “No, no, that’s impossible. It was your imagination.” He kept saying sceptic, pacing back and forth, “No professor, it was the boy from the portrait; we all saw him!” Siwon said, “Changmin, I know you would never lie to me. ¿Is it true?”

“Yes sir, we all saw him.”

“But you said he was dead.” Siwon said very scared. “I think it’s better if you know everything,” Professor Bae said resigned, “Park Yoochun committed suicide.” All the boys gasped; Jaejoong grabbed Yunho’s hand and squeezed it, the latter didn’t turn to look at him but squeezed back. “It all happened five years ago, he was grounded during spring break, like you boys.”

“I knew it, it had to be the ogre’s fault.” Heechul sneered, “Kim Heechul, I don’t ever want to hear that nickname again!” Professor Bae scolded him, “He killed himself just for being grounded?” Jaejoong asked, “Park Yoochun had suffered very much during his life, his mother was all he had; a woman who sacrificed herself so he could have the best education; her husband died when Yoochun was just a baby and they had no more family. During spring break his mother got ill.”

“And not even then you allowed him to leave?” Siwon asked outraged, “We didn’t believe him, we thought he made it up and one afternoon we received the news that the mother had died." Professor Bae said and wiped a tear, “Poor thing. What happened next? Junho asked, “He spent that whole night in his bed crying in such a distressed way. The next night we found him in the tower… dead.”

“How was he?” Junsu asked intrigued and a bit sad, “He was the best student I have ever had, he was smart and kind, an excellent pianist and had an amazing memory; cosmos was his favorite flower.” As soon as Junsu heard that, he dropped the cosmos flower he had picked before. “Park Yoochun, what does he want from me?” Jaejoong wondered.

 

That night Professor Bae paid a visit to Mr. Kim, the gardener. He knocked on the door and the gardener was surprised to see him there, “Professor Bae, is something wrong?”

“I need to talk to you Mr. Kim, may I come in?” the professor said, “Yes, yes, of course, come in.” Professor Bae came in and Mr. Kim offered him a seat near the fire to warm up, “You shouldn’t go out so late, it’s too cold. Tomorrow we could’ve talked.”

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t wait. Promise me Principal Lee won’t know about this visit.”

“Of course, but please, let me pour you some tea to warm up.” Mr. Kim poured him a cup of tea that the professor thanked, “Mr. Kim, do you remember Park Yoochun?”

“Yes, poor kid, how could I forget him?”

“Something very strange has happened, the boys that stayed here claim to have seen him, one of them assures to have heard his voice.” Mr. Kim only nodded his head while drinking his tea. “You don’t seem surprised from what I just said.” Professor Bae asked, “No sir. Who knows what happens after death that forces us to come back and wander in this world.”

“Do you believe in ghosts?”

“Oh no! How could that poor child be a ghost? So kind and with such sad eyes.” Mr. Kim answered, “You have seen him.” The professor stated in shock, “Yes, haven’t you?”

“How could I have seen him? He’s dead.” Professor said trying to act brave, “He’s still with us; maybe he’s looking for something.” The gardener answered, “No, n-no, that’s impossible.”

“Let me ask you something sir, do you remember how the wind blew the night we found him?”

“How could I forget?”

“Every time the wind blows like that, I know he’s back; seems like the wind senses him.”

“Like tonight?” Professor Bae asked scared, “Yes, like tonight.” The professor refused to admit that theory; he was a man of science, he couldn’t believe this kind of stories, so he said his good byes and went back to the dorms more scared of what would happen next.

 

Once he reached the dormitories’ door, something made him look back and there, in the middle of the garden was Park Yoochun, standing there, looking at him with those sad, sad eyes. The professor couldn’t believe his eyes, his mind kept yelling ‘run’ but his body refused to move. The boy just stared at him while the wind began to blew even harder; somehow Professor Bae managed to move and without looking back he went in and ran to his room not leaving for the rest of the night. He tried to sleep but every time he closed his eyes he was haunted with that horrible apparition.

 

“I saw him, don’t you understand? I saw him!” Professor Bae told Principal Lee the next morning in his office, “Yes, of course, of course… and if I keep listening to you I’ll soon be seeing him too.”

“Why don’t you ask Mr. Kim?”

“Are you crazy?! Do you think I would begin a discussion with that superstitious old man?”

“Fine, don’t believe me then but please; take the boys away from here before something bad happens.” Professor Bae begged, “Professor Bae, I can’t treat you like one of my students but if you wish to take your vacation leave, you can do it. I am very capable to keep the discipline in this school on my own!” Principal Lee told him ending the conversation.

 

“I swear the ogre is going to regret it, as soon as my parents come to get me I’m gonna tell them everything that happens here.” Siwon said angry, “They won’t believe you Wonnie.” Jaejoong told him. They were walking through the garden after class, “No? They can ask if they want, you guys are witnesses.”

“Look, I think the best is to forget all this and…”

“Are you nuts?! You can’t even take a ing shower because in any mom…” Siwon stopped mid-sentence when he saw a pair of feet coming out from a big planter, “What is it?” Jaejoong asked, “L-look over there.” Siwon pointed. Jaejoong approached slowly with Siwon clinging to his arm, once they were in front of the person, Jaejoong gathered courage and addressed the stranger, “W-Who are you?” the stranger stood up and a scream choked on his throat, “Please, don’t scream, someone might come; I’m not gonna hurt you.” the man begged. “How did you get in here?” Jaejoong asked, “I jumped the wall. I’m looking for Kim Heechul.”

“You’re Hangeng, right?” Siwon said “You have some balls, it is forbidden to be here.” “Yeah, I know but I promised him I would come. Could you tell him I’m here? I’ve been waiting for three hours.” Hangeng said in a tired tone. Jaejoong and Siwon grinned, “Wait here, we’ll tell him; don’t move, ok?” and the boys ran to find Heechul.

 

Heechul was in a bench studying with Junsu and Changmin; Chemistry just wasn’t making chemistry with his brain. Junsu saw Jaejoong and Siwon waving and pointing but didn’t understand them, “What’s up with those two?”

“Dunno; they’re dicking around.” Heechul said and went back to his reading. “I don’t think they understood.” Jaejoong said, “Idiots. We’ll have to go to them.” Both boys approached Heechul grinning in a conspicuous way, “Hey Chullie, come here for a moment.” Jaejoong said, “Guys, not now, I have to learn this chemistry formulas and it’s just not working.”

“That’s what we want to talk to you about, chemistry.” Jaejoong said grinning, “Damn it guys, what is it?” Heechul said annoyed with chemistry and his friends’ encrypted messages, “What would you like to do right now?” Siwon asked, “Me? Be as far away from this ing school.”

“To do what?” Jaejoong asked with a grin, “Do you even need to ask? So I can dress like a human and be with…” he widened his eyes and turned to look at his two friends who kept grinning from ear to ear, “Hangeng?” Both boys nodded their heads and pointed to the other side of the garden. Heechul stood up right away and whispered into Junsu’s ear, “Keep the snitch distracted; don’t let him follow us.” The three left to meet with Hangeng. Changmin noticed and when he was about to follow them Junsu intercepted him with math questions.

 

As soon as they reached the planter, Heechul jumped to his boyfriend’s arms who barely managed to catch him. “Well, we’ll take our leave; don’t take too long Heechul.” Jaejoong said but Siwon stopped him, “Won’t you introduce us?”

“Oh yeah, these are Jaejoong and Siwon.” Heechul said, “We’ve heard a lot about you.” Siwon said in a flirty way, “Pleasure to meet you.” Hangeng said. Jaejoong noticed that Siwon was trying to flirt with him so he pulled him by the arm, “Pleasure to meet you too. Excuse us.” He said and pulled Siwon who was beginning to undress Hangeng with his eyes.

 

❁❁❁❁