Even the wind is afraid - Chapter 11

Even the wind is afraid

CHAPTER XI

 

That night the wind blow even harder and it was colder than usual. Suddenly the power went out. Principal Lee felt a bit uncomfortable and locked his bedroom door; he was about to go to bed when he heard some footsteps outside his room, “Who’s there?” he asked, “It’s me, Professor Bae.” Sighing in relief, he opened the door and let the professor in; he was holding a lit candle. “The power’s out in the whole school.” Professor Bae said, “Yes, I noticed, it’s ok, the students?”

“Asleep. Sir I’d like to ask you a favor.”

“What?”

“That you allow me to accompany you till sunrise.”

“Are you scared?” Principal Lee said in a mocking way, “A lot, but not for me but for you.” All of a sudden they heard someone crying in the hallway, “Do you hear that? It’s him… it’s him… just like the night he…”

“It’s someone crying and that’s it professor, stop with those stupid superstitions!” Principal Lee yelled angrily, “We are going to find out right now who’s out there.” He stood up and went to the door, “Sir, please, don’t go, you are in grave danger.” Professor Bae begged him, “Enough with that ghost nonsense. Go to the student dormitory and make sure nobody leaves, understood?”

“But Principal…”

“Do it!” he yelled and left the room. The crying was growing louder and louder and it seemed like it was coming from outside. He noticed the door opened and Jaejoong walking through the garden towards the tower, “Jaejoong!” he yelled but to avail, so he decided to follow him.

 

Professor Bae went to the dorm and freaked when he saw Jaejoong’s bed empty. “Professor, do you hear that?” Junho asked from his bed, “Where’s Jaejoong?” he asked the other boys who had awaken and got scared when they heard the crying. “We don’t know, we were awoken by some crying and Jaejoong was gone.” Yunho told him very worried, “we have to stop this, come with me.” Professor Bae said and went to the door only to have it slammed in his face. They all tried to open it but to no avail.

 

Meanwhile, Jaejoong had reached the tower door; he went in and up the stairs. The principal saw him go in and to stop him.

 

Principal Lee went in the tower in time to see Jaejoong go up the stairs, “Jaejoong, where do you think you’re going?!” he yelled and went up as well. Once he reached the room, we kept calling Jaejoong, it was very dark but he saw a silhouette by the window, “Jaejoong, what’s the meaning of this?” he asked. The silhouette began to approach him more and more until he saw he was holding a rope… and that it wasn’t Jaejoong, “Park Yoochun,” he mumbled, paralyzed with feat. The person approached more and more to him.

 

In the dorm, Professor Bae, with the help of the boys, managed to open the door and ran off to the tower; the wind was blowing even harder and the temperature was very low. As soon as they reached the tower, they heard a scream coming from the room on top of the tower; everybody stopped except Professor Bae who ran up the stairs.

 

“Jaejoong… Principal Lee…” he called but it was hard in that darkness, he walked a couple of steps till he bumped with something on the floor, he looked down and found Jaejoong unconscious. He kneeled down and held the boy in his arms. After a few taps in his cheeks, the boy woke up in confusion, “Professor? What happened? What am I doing here?” he asked sitting up scared, “Don’t worry, I’m here.” Professor Bae told him and helped the frightened boy up. The rest had already reached the door; Yunho ran to hug Jaejoong and see if he was ok. In the commotion they heard the creak of a rope, looked up and there it was, Principal Lee’s body hanging… lifeless.

 

❁❁❁❁