Even the wind is afraid - Chapter 2

Even the wind is afraid

CHAPTER II

 

“I bet you anything that it was the ogre’s orders” said Junho, one of the Kim twins, “Don’t worry, actually I was getting bored of being in bed all day.” Jaejoong answered, “If you like, you don’t have to take notes, I can lend you mine.” Junsu, the youngest Kim said, “Oh, c’mon! I’m sleep deprived not paralyzed, I can…” Jaejoong stopped mid-sentence when he saw that the tower’s padlock was open. Both twins were as shocked as Jae, that padlock has always been locked; they both turned to look at Jaejoong, suspecting his friend’s intentions Junho asked, “You’re not thinking to go in there, do you?”

 “Why not?”

“Because it’s forbidden.” A scared Junsu answered. “I have to see what’s up there.” Jaejoong said, “You go, w-we’ll wait for you here,” Junsu said and held his brother’s hand, “What are you afraid of?”

“I don’t know; this place gives me the creeps.” Junsu shivered and held his brother’s arm. “Hey guys, come quickly!” Junho called and the rest of the gang approached. “What’s up?” Heechul asked, “Look, the padlock’s open.” Junsu pointed with a shaky hand, “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go see what’s up there!”

“But, what if someone sees us?” Junsu asked, “Oh please! The ogre never comes here,” Junho said, “C’mon!” he said and pulled his brother to the door. They walked a couple of steps and turned back, “Y-you g-go first Jae.” Junho said. “What the ’s wrong with all of you? It’s not a grave!” Heechul sneered, took of the padlock and pushed the door open.

 

Everybody went in scared. The tower was a dirty, old place where the school staff would store old files, and other rubbish. It doesn’t even have proper floor anymore, it’s just dirt. After many years of abandonment, the tower has become the home of rats, mice and spiders. The boys stood in the middle of the tower looking everywhere, suddenly Jaejoong gasped and everybody jumped, “What’s wrong?!” Yunho asked, “This is the place I dreamt of” Jaejoong answered, “He’s upstairs.”

“Don’t say that!” Junsu whined and hugged his brother just as hard as Junho was hugging him, “Don’t listen to him, he’s just messing with our heads.” Heechul said, “No, I remember perfectly, this stairs creak horribly when you step on them; I went up there and got to the top. You have to believe me!” Jaejoong said and approached the staircase, “Well that sound more convincing. How does the door look like?” Heechul asked, “It’s red and very old, it has an old iron lock.”

“Well, let’s find out then.” Heechul said and began going up the stairs. The rest followed reluctantly. The steps were creaking just like Jaejoong had described, Junsu was holding on to his brother and Siwon grabbed Yunho’s hand but he pulled it away. When they reached the top they saw the exact door Jaejoong had described. “There he is, behind the door.” Jaejoong said in fear.

 

They were about to reach the door when the principal caught them and yelled to get down there. “None of you ignored the fact that it is strictly forbidden to go to that tower, therefore, I won’t accept any apologies!” Principal Lee was yelling once they were in his office. “I convinced them to accompany me sir.” Jaejoong said, “I’ll take count of that Mr. Kim, but each one here is responsible for his own actions. You have all earned an exemplary punishment and I have decided that all of you will stay in the school during spring break.”

“But my parents are picking me up the day after tomorrow!” Siwon cried, “I’ll explain what happened to them.”

“But Principal L…”

“I don’t like arguing with my students! That’s all, you can leave.” Principal Lee said and turned his back to them. The boys left with their heads held down. “Jaejoong, please stay for a moment.” Jaejoong closed the door and approached the principal’s desk. “What were you expecting to find up in that tower?”

“Nothing sir, is just that we found the padlock open.”

“That is impossible! There is only one key to that padlock and I have it.”

“Well, I can’t explain that, but that how we found it. When I saw it I remembered that it was the place I’ve been dreaming about, the place where that boy…”

“Enough! I already know your story.” The principal said, very angry, “You should put that imagination to good use; like in your literature class.”

“But I didn’t lie, I swear!”

“I’m warning you, if you insist on that and keep scaring your classmates, I’ll have to recommend your parents to put you in psychiatric watch.” The principal threatened. “I’m not crazy!” Jaejoong claimed, “I’m sure you’re not Jaejoong. Don’t make me change my mind.”

 

❁❁❁❁