Chapter XXVI - Apawling Situation

Treat for Two

A.N: This chapter wasn't beta read.

= Chapter XXVI=

Apawling Situation

 

I promise I won’t walk away

One step closer my heart
One step closer to you
Before the sun gets erased
I pray I get to you

 

Closer - Oh My girl 


 

Jinki watched Hyejin from the corner of his eye while she ate her breakfast. Besides asking Taemin how he slept and about their plans for the day she had barely spoken. He knew that she was thinking about their intimate episode the previous night and if they were alone he would have . But she had reacted so badly when she realized that Taemin could have heard them, so it was better not to push it when his brother was in the room.

Taemin didn't show any sign of having heard anything but Jinki wasn't sure if he wasn't pretending.

“Last night…” Hyejin said, munching her toast, her eyes avoiding Jinki’s. He couldn't help but smile “Did you fall asleep early?”

Taemin, who was eating chocolate cereals with milk - one of his guilty pleasures - nodded.

“So when we went to sleep, me and Jinki, you were sleeping already?”

“Yes, why?”

“Just curious.”

Jinki cleared his throat, reached out to the pot of coffee, and refilled his mug.

“So…” Hyejin nipped the tip of her toast and Jinki crossed his arms watching her amused. “You didn't hear anything.”

“Hear?” Taemin did look surprised with the question and Jinki tilted his head wondering if maybe he truly didn't “No don't think so. Should I? Did something happen?”

“No!” Hyejin shook her head and drank the rest of her coffee. “Nothing!” She stood up grabbing her coat from the back of the chair and Jinki cleaned some crumbs from her blouse while she put it on. “I'm going to brush my teeth and leave. I'm late already.”

Jinki and Taemin ate in silence while she did as she said and after a quick kiss on Jinki's cheek, Hyejin left.

Taemin’s eyes didn't leave the bowl of cereal now almost empty but Jinki knew he was waiting for him to ask.

“You did, didn't you?”

“I did.”

Jinki laughed “I knew it!”

“Yeah, I tried not to but I did. I swear I blocked the tasting. I only heard some sounds.”

“Hell…” Jinki didn't feel as embarrassed as Hyejin did since mating for him was something natural but he didn't like how they were heard too. It made him a little uncomfortable.

“It's fine. It only made me think about what I'm missing because of my stupidity. After a while, I wasn't even paying attention. I was only thinking about how I want So Ah back, how much I screwed up.”

Jinki nodded, placing his cup of coffee on the table. “Don't tell Hyejin that you did. She will freak out.”

“Why did you think that I lied?”

“I'm sorry. I couldn't control myself last night. I probably should have. She was furious with me and with a reason to.”

Taemin rubbed his head spiking some strands of hair on one side of his head unknowingly and Jinki patted them down.

“It's alright.” Taemin replied, “You love her and she loves you and I'm the one intruding, the one that shouldn't be here.”

“Also about last night…”

Taemin pressed his lips together. Jinki knew that he had gone to bed before he and Hyejin came back from the rooftop to avoid speaking with him.

It was probably better that way since it gave both a chance to think over what happened.

“It is alright to not know what you want to do with your life. I've been like that for a while too. I wanted to be a doctor, then I didn't, then I wanted to travel and see the world, and then I wanted to stay in Seoul and maybe study art or something else.”

“Art?” Taemin frowned in disbelief.

“There was a time I was interested in architecture and art-related things.”

“You would be awful…”

“I would. But that doesn't matter, what I mean is that almost everyone is like that.”

“You always seemed so in control.”

“I wasn't ever.” Jinki explained “Even now…” he his lips “Yesterday Jonghyun told me that I should be the leader of our clan. You agree with him, even Hyejin does. You know how I hated that idea for years, how I fought to stay away from our parents and that neighborhood.”

“I know.”

“But lately I find myself believing that maybe, maybe it's not a bad idea, that maybe I want it.” He hadn't realized how much until the previous night. While he watched the dark night sky with Hyejin silently by his side he pictured a reality where he was the clan's chief, where he had the power to make a change and turn the clan into a more accepting group. “But I'm scared. I don't know if I have what it takes. I'm not like dad.”

“You are, in a way you are. More than I am.”

“Taemin…” Jinki reached out to touch his brother's arm. “You want to be like dad?”

“No.” He shook his head cutely and Jinki saw his little brother in that man in front of him. But Taemin wasn't a kid anymore, he was an adult now. “And you aren't alone. You have all of us on your side. Mom, dad, and me. Even Hyejin…” he smiled as if picturing it too “You will be perfect, fair, honest, sensible, good.”

“You speak of me as I'm a God.”

“You aren't but you are the best Earth God I know.”

Jinki chuckled “You say that because you are my brother.”

“I say it because I've always looked up to you.”

“Taemin, I'm not that special and certainly not better than you in any way.” Jinki wondered if that was why his brother rebelled. If he somehow was trying to follow his steps.

“What are you doing today?” Taemin changed the subject.

“I have work today. I'll have to take some days off to go back home.”

“You are taking me back aren't you? As if I'm a spoiled teenager who ran from home.”

“No, if you don't want to go I'm not going to make you. You aren't a kid Taemin. You are a man and you do what you want.”

“I don't know what I want. I don't know what I want to do with my life...I…”

“You don't have to decide now. You are young and have time to figure it out along the way.”

Jinki stood up grabbing the dirty dishes from the table and placed them on the sink.

“I'll go with you.” Taemin announced, “Home I mean.”

“Oh alright.” Jinki cleaned his hands on the dishcloth.

“I need to talk with mom and dad and explain what happened. I also need to beg So Ah for forgiveness.”

“Seems like for someone who didn't know what he wanted you already have some plans.”

Taemin shrugged. “Maybe. I just need to understand where I belong, where I should be…”

Jinki grabbed his keys from the table and turned to him.

“You know, just now you called it home. I think that means something, don't you think?”

 

 

 

“I can't believe they didn't let us hire more people to do the cleaning.” Hyejin complained carefully wrapping an old valuable vase in bubble wrap.

They spent the last hours cleaning up one of the old rooms of the servants' quarters of the palace, where they stored the antiques that were going to be replaced by different ones for a new exhibition.

“Well, they wanted to save money.” Minho answered, closing a card box filled with what Jinki would see as old knick-knacks but would be perceived as treasures by the rest of the human population.

Hyejin snorted knowing that it was Minho who made that decision instead. And for that reason now she was stuck with him for the whole day doing that boring work. For sure he could have chosen someone else to help him but she knew how meticulously careful he was and how he didn't trust many people to touch the antiques.

“Heard you are taking some time off from work again.” Minho mentioned cleaning his sweaty forehead. Didn't help that the room was hot due to the lack of windows and the many hours exposed to the hot weather outside.

“Yes.” She bit her lower lip. “I'm going to spend some days with Jinki at his parents' house.”

“Oh!”

“I might give them my resignation letter. I don't have more vacation days to take after all and I might be leaving with Jinki soon.”

“So is he…”

“Yes.” She stood up and cleaned the dust from her bottom “He is going for it, for the clan chief position.”

“That's...good.” Minho cleared his throat. “Won't you miss this?” He seemed a bit sad to see her go.

“I…” her eyes drifted to the open door, the only source of fresh air. Outside was a world of green and the lake she loved the most. She would miss the Palace for sure, the way it made her feel calm. Yet the palace wasn't going anywhere and she could always come back as a visitor “I will but I’ll come to visit whenever I can.”

“I'm thinking of leaving this too.”

“What, why?”

“You know how my father's lawyer agency is not doing well. I was supposed to marry someone to help with that but I decided not to and then Haneul came along. I can't really bring her here when I can't protect her. I might need to take her out of Seoul.”

“What about moving into the Tiger clan neighborhood?”

“Ah, I don't know. What could I do there?”

“Hum...help the Shaman maybe.”

Minho chuckled “Don't think so.”

Hyejin wanted to help but she had no idea how. Maybe she could ask Jinki. He probably knew a lot of people and could find a solution.

“I have some things I want to send to Haneul.” Minho said, “Can you deliver them to her?”

“Of course. Are you keeping in touch?”

“I call her every day. As soon as I can I'll visit her.” Minho frowned, realizing that she wasn't moving and she quickly started wrapping the several decorative items on the table from the Joseon period.

“Why are you going to visit his parents? Is it because of what happened with his brother?”

Earlier she had briefly explained to Minho what happened the previous night.

“That too. Jinki is worried about him and I think he wants to be there for him. Besides, I think he saw that as a good way to ensure his brother truly went back.”

Minho smiled “I wish I had siblings too.”

“Hum is not as fun as it seems.” Hyejin’s smile faltered when she realized that she also had no siblings. The one she saw as her half-brother was not even related to her after all. He had loathed her and now she knew it was not because of the normal siblings' conflicts but because he knew the truth.

“Well, now you have Taemin too. He will be your brother-in-law after all.” Minho said, noticing her discomfort.

“Yes. That's true.” She recalled the way he held onto her the previous night crying, opening up to someone probably for the first time in days. He felt like he could share his struggles with her and that meant something. “I also have you. You sometimes act almost like a brother too.”

“Oh brotherzoning me after friendzoning.” She frowned but he laughed. “I'm kidding. Yes, Hyejin, you know you can count on me.” Minho took a deep breath. “But now we must finish this!”

That was Minho’s way of saying that that was enough talking and they should focus on working.

Hours passed until they managed to put everything safely in boxes and only a few small decorative pieces were left when Minho received a call from his parents. He had an important dinner to go to. Hyejin offered to stay longer since they were almost done and close the room. By morning the new pieces to be presented would arrive and they would carry the boxes with the hold ones safely away. Minho thanked her, giving her the key to the room, and left after reminding her several times of the importance of closing the room, and how catastrophic it would be if something was stolen, or broken.

Hyejin worked for more than half an hour, checking piece by piece to see if nothing was missing, her thoughts drifting to what she would do once she left. She was going to buy dinner for her, Jinki, and Taemin. Since she stayed until later she would call Jinki to pick her up. He was probably off from work by now.

Hyejin sighed, closing the last box and clapping her hands together congratulating herself. Everything was done and ready and since she was going to take the day off the next day she wouldn't have the boring task of unboxing the new pieces.

“All done.” She stretched her arms and after one last look took the key Minho gave her from the pocket of her shorts. A card was there too and she took it off. She hadn't worn those shorts in a long time. Usually, she had to wear a uniform but since she was cleaning she ended up choosing something more comfortable, a plain yellow t-shirt and jeans shorts.

“Ah!” It was a small card, the one Jonghyun gave her before when they met for the first time, or when she thought they had. It had his phone number and his name handwritten. To think that back then she had no idea that he was someone like Jinki, that he was part of her past and in love with her. He had seemed so distant, almost ethereal when Jinki, on contrary, when she first met him seemed so...familiar.

She smiled to herself. Maybe deep down her heart knew she belonged with him or maybe the fact that he made her feel so comfortable was what led her to fall for him.

Anyway, it was time to leave so she safely placed the small card back in her pocket and walked to the door carefully avoiding the many boxes. If anything inside any of them broke her life was over. Not only were they extremely expensive with a high historical value that she could never replace but also Minho would hunt her down. He could get very intense when it came to things like that. There was a reason why he admired Jinki so much. It was as if he had found out that one of his favorite heroes from childhood was real, although in Minho’s case his heroes were far from being Batman and closer to being Captain Joseon.

She placed her hand on the handle and turned off the light but when she turned the door handle nothing happened.

Hyejin turned it several times but nothing. She pushed and pulled and yet the door didn't move. She tried the key but still, it didn't work.

“No.” The building was old and it wasn't the first time that happened but no one ever got stuck inside a room before.

Hyejin stepped back trying to find a solution. The only window of the room was a small one that was too tall for her to reach and even if she did she could never pass through it.

“Oh no!” she panicked realizing that she also didn't have her smartphone with her because she left it inside her locker like she often did. There was no way out of the room and no way to ask for help.

She tried screaming but it was pointless since besides the guards the palace was probably empty. By morning people would arrive and let her out but she couldn't wait that long. Jinki would get worried and think the worse if she didn't show up or said anything.

Hyejin sat on the floor and tried to calm down, breathing deeply and slowly. Maybe there was another solution. The silence only broken by the sound of the cicadas helped her focus and soon she remembered that the room did indeed have an old phone in one of the walls used for emergencies and that was definitely one. She stood up praying that the damn thing worked and quickly looked around the room until she found it in the far left corner. She picked up the old phone and brought it to her ear. She could call the guards post and ask for help but she didn't know the number and stupidly the useful numbers weren't beside the phone. She could call the national emergency line but she wasn't exactly in danger.

She groaned trying to remember Jinki’s number to ask him for help but she couldn't remember it well and after a failed try where she called an ajumma instead she gave up on it. The only solution was...the card.

She took it out of her pocket. Jinki would be upset that she didn't call him but he would be even more upset if she stayed there and didn't tell anyone that she was alright.

She pressed the numbers and hoped that Jonghyun could take the call. He was after all a famous singer, a busy one and that was an unknown number.

It rang but no one picked up so she tried again and again. She was losing all her hope when a voice came from the other side.

“Yes?”

“Jonghyun, oh finally!”

“Hyejin?” he sounded confused. “This is not your number!”

“I know, I'm using a phone at work. I have a favor to ask you!”

“Sure, anything you want.”

“Can you call Jinki and tell him to pick me up at the palace…inside the palace.” Hopefully, he would follow her scent and find her.

“Ah, why can't you call him instead?”

“I don't know his number and I had your card. Anyway, it doesn't matter just please call him.”

“Is everything alright?” She was going to lie when he spoke again. “If you don't tell me I won't call Jinki.”

There was no point hiding the ridiculous situation she was in from Jonghyun so she told him exactly what happened. “Will you call him now?”

“Sure. Don't worry, you will be out of there in no time.”

She placed the phone back and sat next to the boxes with her eyes on the door. As soon as Jinki found out what happened he would come for her for sure.

“Alright…” Now she only had to wait for her prince to come and save her.

 

 

A sound startled Hyejin when she was dozing off. She sat in silence trying to discover what it was but everything outside sounded normal, the cicadas singing and the wind rustling the leaves of the trees.

She yawned and stood up rubbing her lower back that ached a little. She had no wristwatch or anything to check how much time had passed but it felt like an eternity. Had Jonghyun truly called Jinki? Perhaps Jinki was busy at work and therefore late to save her. If that was the case she was going to scold him.

Hyejin started walking around the boxes trying to release the tension she felt. The room wasn't small but now that she was locked inside it started to feel more and more intimidating.

The light above her flickered and Hyejin stared at it. That was the sound she had heard, the one who woke her up. It was alright. Even if that lamp turned off she still had the others. It wasn't as if she would be in total darkness. Alone. Without Jinki to make her feel safe in the dark.

No, the gods couldn't be that cruel.

And then it happened and indeed they could. One by one the lamps turned off and Hyejin watched incredulously until the room fell into darkness. The only light was coming from the small window and illuminated a small square in the room. She squealed scared and tried to navigate, bumping into a few boxes that luckily didn't spill the precious porcelain until she reached the safe bright square.

“Oh god...Jinki…” She moaned, pressing herself against the wall trying to stand on her toes to reach the window which was useless since it was too tall. If only she had something to climb into she could peek outside. If she used Minho’s precious boxes she wouldn't need to fear the darkness anymore but she would have bigger problems.

Hyejin gave up and instead sat down facing the darkroom. She pulled her knees to her chest and observed the room. She was alone and there was no danger there. It was only the lack of light, it was ridiculous to be afraid. Still, she closed her eyes and laid her head on her knees. Maybe time would go by fast if she dozed off again.

However, that was a bad idea because as soon as she closed her eyes she saw the image of the Bulgaes growling, advancing angrily in her direction as if they were in the room with her. She could even hear the sound of its paws getting closer, the warmth of its breath. It seemed so real but she knew it was only a memory, a nightmare, and yet she felt its hot breathing in her arm and then its tongue.

She screamed terrified pressing herself against the wall but in front of her wasn't a bulgae. It was a dog, a big white dog with blue eyes. He sat in front of Hyejin as if trying to show her that he wasn't going to hurt her and she blinked her eyes but didn't move.

The dog tilted its head to one side and then to the other and then opened its mouth. She flinched but the dog didn't move to bit her. Instead, it looked almost as if it was smiling.

“J-Jonghyun?”

The dog barked and she slowly moved against the wall closer to the animal. It kept smiling as only a dog could, waving its tail and she kneeled in front of it.

“Is it you? How did you come in?”

The dog looked up at the window.

“You jumped through the window?”

The dog waved its tail faster and barked again as if saying yes.

“Jonghyun…” She wasn't sure yet but raised her hand to pet the dog “It's you, right?”

The dog lowered its head meeting her hand and when she petted it laid down at her feet. She hesitated but caressed the fur of its neck before standing.

“You need to turn human to help me.”

The dog sat up, her face, and whined. Hyejin bit her lower lip wondering if maybe that wasn't Jonghyun and she was being a fool.

“Are you really Jonghyun or some random mutt...No!” It couldn't be a normal dog. No normal dog could jump that high.

And before she had time to ask it to turn again it started. Just like when Jinki first turned into a human in front of her, slowly the dog-like features started to become human and Jonghyun stood in front of her….

“Oh my god!” Hyejin turned immediately around, placing her hands on the wall. “Y-you are !”

“Yes I know, that's why I didn't want to turn back.” Jonghyun touched her shoulder and she flinched. “Hyejin are you alright? You seemed really scared.”

“I'm scared of the dark.” She kept looking at the wall, afraid to turn around. She had seen too much already. The only man she ever saw was Jinki, well that was before that night. “You need to open the door.”

“The door? Alright…” She noticed him move from the corner of her eye and turned around to the other side while he tried the handle just like she did.

“It's broken or I wouldn't have called you. Try to open it from outside.” She suggested.

“I need to get back to my dog form then.”

“Jinki? What about him? Why didn't you call him?”

“I did text him as soon as I entered the palace. I wasn't going to lose this chance to save you.”

Hyejin closed her eyes and grimaced. If Jinki found her in the same room with a Jonghyun he would be furious.

“At least put some clothes on.”

“I can't, they are outside. I could have thrown them inside though….” he hummed and she groaned impatiently.

“Alright, so this is what…” Jonghyun stopped talking suddenly.

“W-what's wrong?”

“He is here!”

“What, who?” She was going to turn around but then something white jumped from the window and into the room.

Onew.

He meowed at her and then the fur of its back stood up when he hissed at Jonghyun.

Lee Jinki was angry like she predicted, and even though he was smaller in size than Jonghyun in animal form he looked way more dangerous.

“Wow, you arrived fast!”

And then Onew turned into Jinki, a Jinki.

And that was how Hyejin ended up locked in a dark room of a palace filled with vases that were worth millions, with two hot men that loved her. That was the weirdest of situations ever!

“You !” Jinki pushed Jonghyun against the wall and Hyejin switched between looking and covering her eyes. With Jinki in front of Jonghyun, she could only see him and his perfect . God help her! “You said you would be fair!”

“I was, I warned you. How did you get here so fast?”

“I was worried because she was taking a long time to get home and something felt wrong. So I was already halfway here when I got your text.”

Hyejin grinned satisfied to hear that her hero had come to her rescue even before she asked for help.

Jinki turned around then and grabbed her by her arm twirling her to the dark side of the room so that her eyes weren't facing Jonghyun.

”Are you alright?” he cupped her face tenderly and she nodded, still grinning like a fool.

“You came to save me.”

“Yes.”

“Both of you.” Hyejin corrected, trying to please both of them and hoping that Jinki wouldn't be mad. “Will you open the door now? Please?”

Jinki caressed her arm ”Wait here, don't peek, alright?”

She nodded and stood facing the darkness that had scared her so much before but now didn't anymore since they were there with her. And then she realized she was smiling probably because of the ridiculous situation they were in. Behind her Jonghyun and Jinki bickered like a dog and a cat - no pun intended - trying to open the door.

“Maybe we can kick it open?” Jonghyun suggested.

“Yes and then Minho fires her.” Jinki made a sound with his tongue. “Maybe we can call him, and ask for help.”

“Did you bring your phone with you? You don't even have any clothes on!” Jonghyun chuckled. “Let's kick it!”

“We can't do that. Minho would kill us if we ruined a door like this.”

“It's an old thing, worthless…”

“I know. But he sees these old things as precious treasures.”

“He is a weird guy!”

Hyejin laughed, unable to control herself any longer. Maybe it was the situation she was in, maybe it was the way Jonghyun and Jinki were so similar without even realizing, maybe the fact that she was with two silly men that were half-gods but the whole thing only made her laugh and laugh and she was unable to stop. She raised a hand to but kept laughing until tears came out from her eyes.

It was silly how that room had scared her before.

“Hyejin?” Jonghyun worried behind her.

“Are you alright?” Jinki asked, touching her shoulder and she nodded, turning her head to look at him. Her eyes drifted down over his body and she laughed even more.

“I think she is getting desperate. We need to take her out of this room!” Jonghyun affirmed.

“Maybe…” Jinki frowned looking at her concerned and Hyejin tried to tell him that she was fine but she simply couldn't. She couldn't speak, she was even barely breathing. It was all so ridiculous and so funny.

“I'm going to turn back and jump out and try opening from outside.”

“Need help?” Jinki asked.

“We will see. Stay with her for now.”

Jonghyun turned into a dog again and jumped out the window. He tried opening the door a few times and Hyejin watched while Jinki and he bickered some more about breaking the door or calling Minho to help.

She cleaned the tears off her eyes and took a deep breath and then kneeled by the door and slid the key under it.

“Try the key!”

Like magic, as soon as it turned in the keyhole it opened and Hyejin was free, but before she stepped outside Jinki wrapped an arm around her waist and placed his hand covering her eyes. She chuckled and he guided her carefully outside.

“Put some clothes on!" He snarled at Jonghyun.

“Yeah well, you too.”

“She sees me all the time!”

"I don't!" Jonghyun complained and after a while Jinki released her and uncovered her eyes. Jonghyun was already wearing pants and was pulling a shirt down his torso.

“Feeling better?” he asked her, taking the chance that Jinki was busy getting himself dressed to approach her.

“I feel…” She couldn't remember the last time she laughed like that “Great!”

Jinki and Jonghyun seemed confused but didn't say anything and she closed the door of the room and locked it safely, saving the key to give back to Minho. She would have to warn him about that dangerous lock and lights.

“Next time you need, don't hesitate to call me.” Jonghyun grasped Hyejin’s hand “Keep that card with you at all times, and don't leave your phone on the locker or anywhere.”

“As if she needs a mutt to come running. What can you do?”

“I opened the door didn't I?”

“You wanted to kick it open!” Jinki protested, “You probably couldn't even do that!”

“Are you challenging me? I could so kick that door! I'm not a tiny little feline like you!”

“Tiny?” Jinki scoffed “Want to see here and now who is bigger?”

Hyejin snorted, covering . They were talking about the sizes of their animal version but the conversation could have been about something else. The male ego was a powerful thing. After being with her in the same room seeing them compare who was bigger was something almost plausible if they were in a movie.

“Can you two stop? Please…” She squeezed Jonghyun’s hand “Thank you for coming and…” She released his hand and grabbed Jinki’s “Now I'm leaving with my boyfriend, aren't we? I'm so hungry!”

Jonghyun seemed a bit disappointed but smiled.

“I wanted to be your only hero but failed. Next time I won't fail!" he blinked one eye at her.

Jinki still narrowed his eyes and Jonghyun waved his hand, grabbed his jacket from the ground, and after blowing a kiss at Hyejin, one that Jinki had the nerve to catch with his hand, left.

She chuckled, hugging his arm. “Let's go home now, my hero!”

“Not the only one.” He grumpily held her hand in his and she kissed his cheek.

 

 

 

“You must memorize my number!” Jinki’s request made Hyejin glance at him. They had bought chicken for their dinner and Taemin was waiting for them at home. They weren't too far away and were passing their kiss spot when he spoke.

“Why?”

“For cases like these. You did well calling Jonghyun since you didn't have other alternatives but I want to be the first one you call when in need.”

She nodded “Did you memorize mine?”

“Of course.”

She didn't expect that “Really?”

He stopped pulling her by the hand he was holding closer to him. She held her breath and stared into his eyes. That was the place he always kissed her and even though they had kissed so many times before it still made her heart beat faster to be there with him.

“Yes, so please memorize mine.”

“I will.”

He smiled and released her hand to caress her cheek. “Were you too scared today?”

“I was. I saw the bulgae..."

He widened his eyes and she quickly waved her hands “No, no, not a real one. Just the memory of it when I was little. But then Jonghyun came and you too and I felt safe.”

“Good.” he gently caressed her and she leaned into the touch. Usually and because of the link, his touch used to be almost electrifying but at times like that, it was just warm. “Was that why you laughed? Relief?"

“Maybe, but also because you two were funny. I felt loved and happy.”

He kissed her lips softly “I wish I arrived before him.”

“Oh don't start. You know you are number one in my heart! My hero! You even came looking for me before Jonghyun told you to!”

“That's because…” he hesitated, his hand falling to her waist. Jinki pulled her closer. “I think I sensed that you were scared.”

“Really?”

“It was as if you were calling for me.”

She did call for him when she tried to reach the window. “I cried for you.”

He smiled “It must be the link.” She wrapped her arms around him and buried her nose in his chest.

“Always call for me, alright?” he kissed the top of her head and she pulled back to look up at him.

“With one condition!”

“Which is?"

“That you also call for me!”

He chuckled “Will you come to save me? A human like you?”

“Yeah.” She hit his chest and tried to pull away but he kept her in his arms. “This lousy human can be stronger than you think!"

“I don't doubt that!” he leaned down kissing her and Hyejin smiled against his lips raising her hand to his cheek.

He hummed pulling away “It bothers me though. How much of Jonghyun did you see?”

She pressed her lips together trying not to smile.

“Don't lie to me. I can taste it!”

“You can't taste lies!"

“I can taste when you are nervous so….”

“I saw everything.”

He released her livid “Everything?!”

“Yes from his toes to his head and in between.”

He groaned knowing exactly that the in-between was the worst part. “I can't believe this.”

“It's alright. Just because he has a nice body doesn't mean I'm leaving you.” She joked quickly, regretting it hoping that he wouldn't react in a bad way. The previous night he had told her that he had to control his anger and provoking him like that wasn't a good idea.

However, Jinki didn't seem angry, only frustrated. He kicked a pebble and then leaned against the wall looking at the road below.

“I still prefer your body!"

“You are only saying that to make me feel better! He works out more than me. He is an idol...he…”

“He doesn't have the wonderful you have...and I honestly prefer you! I didn't even want to look at Jonghyun’s body!”

“Don't lie!”

“Hey, taste my feelings. See if I'm nervous!”

He turned to look at her and she smiled innocently at him “Am I lying?”

“I have a nice ?”

“Yes!” She bit her lower lip and then pointed her finger at him and drew a circle “All this is the perfect package. Hyejin approved!”

He chuckled and she jumped into his arms. Jinki bumped against the wall holding her and leaned his head against hers.

“You know why I prefer yours?”

“Why?” he asked rubbing his lips on hers.

“Because it's yours because it belongs to the man I love.” she parted her lips with hers and they kissed again like it was supposed to every time they passed by their kissing spot.

“No one has a like yours.”

He pushed her away playfully and she grabbed his hand pulling him with her.

“I swear!”

“Have you seen many?" he asked.

“No, well I saw two in one night. I wonder what the future reserves for me.”

“Not funny Hyejin!”

Yet they both laughed.

 

 

Taemin tore his eyes from the small television on Hyejin’s apartment to her. Unfortunately, she was also looking at him, midway through placing the food on the table. She narrowed her eyes, reminding him of the way she scolded him as soon as she arrived with Jinki. She had hoped he stayed home recovering but he had visited some friends from college instead.

They were going to start dinner when Jinki decided that they needed some soju and left to go buy it. Hyejin obviously didn't agree that they needed alcohol but didn't say anything and started preparing the table instead.

“Are you going to keep staring at me?” Taemin asked, rubbing his ear.

Hyejin crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Jinki rarely drinks.”

“Maybe he felt like it tonight since he has someone to drink with him.”

“You shouldn't drink. You are recovering! And I am a good drinker.”

“Somehow I don't doubt that!” Taemin mumbled and Hyejin acted as if she didn't hear it. She wasn't sure why Jinki decided alcohol would be a good idea but maybe he wanted to spend some time alone with his brother. A hurt person like Taemin shouldn't be drinking but the truth was that he wasn't an ordinary human like her. He did seem a lot better that day and maybe his wounds were more emotional than physical.

“You are really different from Jinki.” Hyejin sat at the table supporting her head with her hands looking at Taemin.

“I am?”

“Yes, if he stayed home he probably would have cleaned the whole house instead of visiting his friends.”

Taemin chuckled “Yes that or sleeping.”

“He really has a problem with organization and cleaning! Does he have some kind of obsession…?”

“No, he simply hates dirty places like this.”

“Ya! What do you mean dirty?” Hyejin raised her head, staring at Taemin.

The younger man pouted and then turned off the tv “Although I must confess that it's way cleaner than the last time I came here. I guess that since he lives here the place is cleaner.”

Hyejin narrowed her eyes, not amused and Taemin sat in front of her at the table leaving the place between them free for his brother.

Hyejin drew imaginary circles on the table ignoring Taemin. How dare he call her house dirty?! Maybe it was a little less organized before Jinki came to live with her, maybe he was the one who cleaned the most, still, her house wasn't dirty.

“Thank you for yesterday.” Taemin’s voice was softer now, gentler and Hyejin looked at him. “I was feeling very…” he took a deep breath and looked directly at her “Please don't tell anyone about what happened yesterday!”

Her first urge was to not because he cried but because she also wanted to provoke him like he often did to her but she played with a strand of her hair and nodded.

“I won't.”

“Thanks. I have a reputation to keep.”

Hyejin scoffed.

“Also if I must confess, sometimes Jinki annoys me with his cleaning obsession too.”

Hyejin leaned over the table “Really?”

“Yes. He isn't as perfect as he seems. Well even though I love him dearly he is my older brother and wouldn't it be weird if there aren't things in him that also annoy me?!”

“I guess…” There were many things Hyejin had hated in her brother, even though she came to learn he wasn't related to her after all.

“Are you really serious about being with my brother?”

“Of course.”

“You do realize that it means being one of us? Well trying to at least.”

“Yes, I know that.” Did he think she was an idiot? She wouldn't have gone after him if she didn't know what it meant. “I've spent all my life reading stories about others, stories that everyone sees as folklore, as fantasy.” She couldn't believe it at first either. “Can you imagine finding out that the stories your father read to you as a kid were based on facts that happened, in real people?” It was more than a link to her childhood, it was the escape she always wanted. “I want to be with Jinki and I don't care who he is.”

“Our life is not only fantasy, a fairy tale. Look at us, me and Jinki.”

“Well look at me. I'm not better! My childhood was a lie, and I've been scared all my life to be myself, to go after what I truly wanted.”

“And you want this?”

Hyejin crossed her arms over the table and nodded “Yes. I want this, I want to be happy, and when I'm with your brother I'm truly happy! That's my truth and I'm not letting him get away.”

Taemin frowned and was going to say something but they were interrupted by the door opening.

Jinki stepped inside holding a plastic bag. He took off his shoes and raised the bag up.

“Alcohol has arrived! By the Gods I'm famished!” He walked into the middle of the room and sat on the empty seat. “So what were you talking about?”

Taemin watched while he placed the bottles of soju on the table. “About how this house looks way cleaner now!”

“I know, right?!” Jinki grinned and Hyejin groaned, grabbing one bottle for herself.

 

 

 

14t81v9.jpg
 

Yoooo!

Thank you for reading ^^
Ready for SHINee's Beyond Live? Aaaah I'm so anxious! ehehehe
 
Hope everyone is safe and healthy!
 
Ps: Updates are going slow again. I'm so sorry, but I can only write during weekends. >//<
 

Chat with me on twitter.