Chapter XIV - Changing Hisstory

Treat for Two

= Chapter XIV =

Changing Hisstory

Oh, I always let you down
You're shattered on the ground
But still I find you there
Next to me
And oh, stupid things I do
I'm far from good, it's true
But still I find you
Next to me

Imagine Dragons- Next to me

 

There are moments in your life that are decisive and you know that a slight mistake might bring big consequences to your future.

Jinki was facing one of those moments. By his father's side that was dressed in a beautiful green and blue robe, the colors that supposedly brought luck to Tigers, Jinki felt out of place. His mother was sitting a few steps away smiling softly at him as if everything was alright. Taemin was in the audience with the other members of the council. The Shaman was missing though and Jinki wondered what happened and if it had to do with Hyejin. He hoped she was alright but he couldn't check on her now.

“Dear family.” His father stepped forward and respectfully Jinki gave a step back like he was supposed to and lowered his head hearing his father that was now the chief of the clan, fully immersed in his role. “We are here reunited to discuss the rumors related to the behavior of one of our sons.”

”Rumours…” some remarks and comments were made and some members mocked the words chosen, but Jinki’s father ignored them.

“Lee Jinki is here to explain himself and prove to you all why he should be accepted into our council, why he should be seen as an alpha in our clan.”

Noise filled the room and Jinki ‘s father stepped back and gestured for Jinki to take the center position. He finally raised his eyes and stepped in front of the seat that belonged to the chief clan. Everyone quieted down, stern faces and some surprisingly amicable ones faced him. He took a deep breath and touched the sleeves of his robes. His mother picked her favorite color, which she believed to give good luck and he was wearing a mint colored robe sewed with gold thread. Usually dressing up like that made him feel uncomfortable because he felt as if he was wearing a disguise but that night he wanted to feel that that was his second skin.

“I greet you all hoping that soon I will be able to call you all my family.” Chang Kyou - Chul also called snake by some members of the clan made a small remark which made the elder beside him laugh but Jinki did his best to ignore it as his father did before. “It has been said that I lived between humans and acted like them. It has also been said that I marked a human woman. “ Jinki his lips that matched the dryness of his mouth “It is true that I worked at a human hospital. It is true that I lived, worked and studied between humans. However to me, they aren't only humans, they aren't a lower race. Instead, they are people, equals like me.”

Sound filled the room and Jinki frowned fighting the urge to look back at his father to see his reaction. Breaking eye contact with the clan would be seen as a sign of weakness and he needed to seem strong.

“As it's written...” He said over the commotion making it quite down “In several of our sacred books written by the first Earth Tiger gods “We should strive for a world where humans, Earth Gods, and Gods walk hand in hand in harmony.” That is one of the reasons we were created so we can serve as the bridge connecting Earth and the Heavens.”

Chang Kyou - Chul stood up from his seat “Walk with them doesn't mean mate!”

“I have mated with them, but haven't almost every man in this room? Since the beginning of time Earth Gods feed on the energy humans give them.”

“Energy, blood…. it's different from doing it with other objectives like procreation!”

“THAT…” Jinki lowered his voice and tried to calm down “That didn’t happen.”

“Are you then denying that you mated with the human that lives in the Shaman’s house?” There were some murmurs and Jinki realized that that was Chang Kyou - Chul plan all along. Many didn't seem to know Hyejin was there so closeby “The same woman that entered Lee’s family house and worse, she was in sacred grounds during the greeting ceremony.”

“I didn't mate with her. I don't deny the rest but that part is a lie.”

“You were kissing like a couple. One of my servants saw.”

Jinki fought the urge to clean the small drop of sweat falling down his temple and he almost could feel his father gaze on his back. Things weren't going well for him.

However, Taemin was on the front row and his reassuring eyes on him made Jinki feel more confident. Above all, he had to be honest so that his father could be proud of him for the right reasons.

“We were indeed kissing.” Silence filled the room and Jinki tried to ignore the tense ambiance and Chang Kyou - Chul's satisfied smile. “And I didn't do it for energy. I did it because…”

Jinki was never able to finish because at that moment the door of the room was open and the old Shaman entered followed by Hyejin.

Everyone turned to see who dared to come late and why there was a scent of a human coming from there. Murmurs filled the room again with everyone wondering why the Shaman dared to bring a human for the first time into that room.

“How dare he…” “I always thought he was senile…” “Oh this is going to be fun…””Is she the one?”

“Can you all be quiet?” the Shaman said out loud before he sat beside Hyejin in the left side of the room “Lee Jinki is speaking and she came as my guest. Show some respect.”

Jinki hesitated his mouth hanging open. Hyejin wasn't even looking at him and she seemed very nervous her eyes drifting to everyone around her. Once she looked up and meet his gaze she seemed to relax a bit and Jinki swallowed hard because even in that situation he could taste her love. She was proud of him he could feel it, she trusted him.

“I love my family.” Jinki said recovering his senses “I love my clan and I will do anything for them. However, I’m not perfect and none of us here are. And even if we act like we don't we all have feelings and we all live with emotions. It’s not something exclusive to humans and there is a reason the gods gave us a human part. Maybe the solo purpose was for us to feel what humans feel so we can relate to them. So yes, I did...I do…I fell in love with a human.”

Once again noise erupted in the room with some saying that Jinki was right and didn't matter his personal affairs as long as he worked for his clan, others weren't as nice though.

One of the younger members of the council stood up “Even Minjae the magnificent said that humans should be loved by tigers!”

“He meant it figuratively!” other members remarked “Humans are food. Their blood is weak.”

“Do you know what you are saying?!”

Taemin also stood up and Jinki widened his eyes in a warning. It was better if he kept low, however, Taemin completely ignored him “Chaesun marked a human and he was one of the most respected members of our clan.”

“Yes, and she was killed by a Wolf Earth God and her death weakened him and lead to his demise.” Chang Kyou - Chul said “Humans are weak. The world should belong to a greater race.”

Jinki’s chin hardened and he was no longer able to listen to all of that. “If you let me be a member of your clan and even your chief someday I swear, I promise you over my life that I will do my absolute best! I won't lie and tell you that I will leave my human life behind. I want to serve as a bridge between humans and tiger gods as it was always supposed to be.”

“I can't trust the words of someone whose fur brings bad luck…” Kyou - Chul said knowing that that was another fact that made Jinki lesser in front of everyone, one more of his weaknesses.

Jinki swallowed hard feeling nauseated, his hands were sweaty and he never felt like that ever since he had to present an assignment in front of his class in high school. Usually he was confident that things would go well to an extent and he would do good. But this time it wasn't what he did or what he said that was being questioned but who he was. The side of him he always tried to ignore. His eyes drifted through the crowd and he almost could see everyone judging him and how he would never be a part of their group, how he was cursed ever since the day he was born. You can change something you did or at least try to but you can't change who you were born to be, who you are. Jinki quivered and to his horror Kyou - Chul wasn't done yet raising a finger to point at him while he spoke to the whole room.

“Why should I follow someone with weak blood, someone whose fur is an anomaly when there is my grandson here by my side.” Jae -Hui smiled to everyone and Jinki hatred for him grew immensely “He has the blood of a pure tiger. His fur is brighter than the sun like it is meant to be.”

“My fur has nothing to do with my abilities to take care of the clan.” Jinki said “I’m a doctor, I'm compassionate and I'm strong and…”

“And you are white and a human lover!” Kyou - Chul pointed out “You will betray us as soon as you can. I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that your best friend is also a wolf!”

A vein in Jinki’s head almost pooped out and his head burned. If he was alone he probably would have turned and attacked that old man. Usually Jinki wasn't that kind of being but that man was crossing the limits.

The room was in full chaos now with everyone arguing, one side defending Jinki’s vision - which surprised him - and other against it. Jinki watched the scene in front of him biting his lower lip wondering if his father would say anything to stop it. He probably would if he wasn't his son, but by doing so Jinki would seem weak, unable to control the group and he wasn't weak. His eyes drifted to Hyejin that wasn't looking at him but at the chaos around her. Taemin was arguing too fervently saying something to a man behind him. However, Jinki didn't feel alone. He knew that they believed in him, his mother did too and maybe his father also did a little. To Jink’s surprise, the Shaman was the only one paying attention to him, passively smiling softly at Jinki as if the world wasn't falling around him. Jinki frowned wondering what the old man was thinking and if he planned that moment before. Somehow he always felt as if he manipulated everything around him.

“ENOUGH!” Jinki screamed making everyone freeze and look at him “This is enough!” He repeated softly now and waited for everyone to sit back in silence “Can't you all let me finish?”

Even Kyou - Chul seemed startled since in his eyes Jinki was always too soft. Jinki didn't notice but even Hyejin was amazed eyeing him. He seemed different in her eyes and in everyone's. He had a special aura, the aura of a king. He looked stronger and even taller, as a real magnificent tiger, the kind you see illustrated in ancient scrolls.

“See?” the Shaman said beside her “He has it in him. He was born to rule this clan and I'm sure he will do greater things. He only needed a push.” He smiled at Hyejin the same way he did when he said she was Jinki’s vitamins and she bit her lower lip. Did that mean that she was his push?!

“My fur is white!” Jinki continued “I have no idea what it means but I wouldn't let old tales make you fear it.”It is also said that you should bathe yourself in the Lake of Peebles every full moon or your fur would start to fall and yet no one does it nowadays. Is your fur falling Master Kyou - Chul or are you secretly bathing yourself every full moon?”

Muffled laughter was heard in the room.

“Will you keep believing old tales or will you start believing in facts? My blood is pure. It comes from an old lineage of tigers that go all the way to the first Earth Gods. But even if it wasn't, my intentions are. My devotion is. I will do anything in my power to always represent and protect this clan. My best friend is not a wolf but it can be in the future because I also intend to keep peace with them as long as possible. I think it’s time to stop fighting, it's time for a new era, one my father started and I intend to keep it because that is what our ancestors wanted, the reason we are here. Even if some between us seem to want to bring blood into our hands and pulls us apart!” Jinki’s eyes moved to Kyou - Chul and stayed there for a while so that there was no doubt about whom he was talking “I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I'll be here to lead us and I hope you all be here with me not regretting your decision.”

Jinki stepped back and dared to look at his father that was now beside him and much to his relief he was looking at him proudly. Everyone also seemed to be nodding and agreeing with Jinki. There were only some elders who apparently weren't convinced by Jinki’s speech and Kyou - Chul was one of them of course.

He stood up and Jinki knew that it didn't end yet.

“What about the human? What do you intend to do with her?”

Jinki wet his dry lips and looked in Hyejin’s direction. He barely could see her, hidden behind a member of the clan.

He now faced another hard task. He needed to be assertive in his answer or he might ruin what he managed to do until then.

“My relationship with her has ended. We are friends now and only that. I’m completely devoted to Miss Eun Ju. I’ll mark her after my initiation ceremony and I will marry her as soon as I can.”

Jinki wanted to see Hyejin's reaction, to see if she was upset or sad even though they said their goodbyes already. He tried to taste her feelings but nothing came, he couldn't find it.

Kyou - Chul pursed his lips thinking and then he smirked finding the perfect way to test Jinki and crush him “I want her killed then. This way we all know you won't have a relapse.”

All color left Jinki’s face and he searched for Hyejin in the crowd. He didn't care anymore if all eyes were on him he just needed to see if she was safe, it was instinctively.

However she wasn't paying attention to him, she was listening to something the Shaman was whispering to her as if they were friends watching a movie at the cinema. That was so not the time to do that and Jinki desperately tried to taste her feelings but he was a confused, frustrated and above all desperate. He couldn't kill her.

“I…”

“You can't do it!”

“Why should I? She didn't do anything wrong. I was the one wrong for meddling with her life!”

Kyou - Chul laughed “You aren't the chief yet and you already want to make decisions that affect the clan.”

“I'm making this one. No one will hurt her. That is my decision and a request. We don't have the right to decide the fate of any human.”

“But we do have the right. We are gods!”

“No we are not, we are half gods, one side of us is just like her. I'm not superior to her, I'm different.”

“What nonsense...how dare you to say that we aren't superior to humans?”

The room was in total silence hearing both sides argue as if it was a debate.

“Our power was given to us as a blessing, as a way to protect humans. In a way, we are serving humans if we want to follow the gods will.”

“No excuses!” Kyou - Chul almost spat, hatred deforming his features “Kill the human and show that you are devoted to us.”

“I’m devoted to the gods, not you!” Jinki fumed, their discussion mixing with the ones raising all over the room.

The sound of a chair being dragged on the floor made everyone quite down since the Shaman stood up. “It’s my time to speak now.” He cleared his throat giving everyone time to calm down enough to hear him “Usually I give my point of view at the end of these amazing and fun meetings.” He chuckled clearly being ironic “However you all know what I feel about Jinki’s fur and his views towards humans. I’ve shared them with all of you in other meetings which lead to you all to call me insane old man the next day.” There were some embarrassed coughing from some of the elders “Hey, no hard feelings, I also call you old hags sometimes.” not giving anyone time to process that he kept on “I’m just lucky that I wasn’t chosen to be a shaman by any of you but by the gods. They must have chosen me for a reason. Today they choose someone different to talk in my place. Someone that knows Jinki better than I do, than any of you even though he was raised in the middle of our community. This person knows a side of Jinki we don't, the one filled with emotions, the one you all seem to fear and yet I value the most. Hyejin please…”

Jinki widened his eyes, his incredulous expression matching the ones from everyone in the room when she stood up. No one dared to speak louder against the Shaman but there were muttering here and there while she walked closer to Jinki, to the front of the room.

“What are you doing?” Jinki whispered to her worried.

“Trust me.”

However, she wasn't even sure if she trusted herself to do what she had to. Everyone was looking at her with either stern and suspicious expressions or curiosity. She was so troubled and overwhelmed with feelings that she was sure Jinki couldn't read what she was feeling anymore.

Hyejin was absolutely terrified and yet she was feeling braver than ever. She absolutely had to do that.

“My name is Moon Hyejin. I work as a guide and I met Lee Jinki this year.” she looked at him briefly before speaking again “I'm a human and meeting him changed my life. It opened the door to a new reality, to all of this. Please listen to what I have to say. In the end, you can decide to kill me or not.” she chuckled nervously but no one laughed with her. “Tough public…” she mumbled to herself glancing at the Shaman. He was smiling at her encouraging her to keep going. Jinki’s father gaze and his mother wasn't as inviting though and Hyejin swallowed hard looking at Taemin next. Much to her surprise he wasn't his usual difficult self and wasn't judging her. She was finally understanding his world and making an effort for Jinki. He was on her side now.

Hopefully, the audience in front of her would understand too and she wouldn't ruin Jinki’s chances or worse turn into a snack for tigers.

 

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Minho wasn’t able to follow the Shaman and Hyejin into the room so he was waiting outside, anxiously pacing back and forth wondering what was happening and if their plan was working.

He wasn't alone though, Yeou joined him soon after and sat on an empty bench watching Minho in silence.

“It might end up badly.” she said after a while and Minho stopped and turned to her “I mean I know some of the old men inside and they aren't the nicest. She will probably end up dead.”

Minho groaned ignoring Yeou because she was only trying to make him even more agitated and it was working.

“I don't understand what my grandfather was thinking but Tigers and humans are a no-no.”

Minho crossed his arms in front of his chest and sat on the bench opposite of Yeou facing the floor.

“Is she your girlfriend?”

“No.” He looked a her “She is my friend, they are both my friends. I wouldn't be helping Jinki to mark her if I was in love with her.”

Once the words left his lips Minho covered his mouth realizing that it was true. Hyejin was no longer the woman he loved, at least not in a romantic way.

“It must be good to have friends." Yeou said moving the tip of her worn out black shoes on the old stone tiles of the floor. Her comment came out in a slightly aggressive way and Minho frowned.

“You don't have friends?” It would make sense if she didn't. She lived hiding inside her grandfather's house away from the clan that didn't accept her.

“I once had a friend. He was my oppa, my real blood brother.” she smiled weakly “We lived together, my parents and my brother. We were happy until my father's family killed my mother and took my brother.”

“Why did they kill your mother?”

“She was an Earth God and they hunt them.”

Minho’s eyes widened. He did read about hunters in the books about Earth Gods history, about a secret society of humans that saw Earth Gods as abominations, as monsters like the ones from stories, like vampires and the undead.

“So they exist?”

“Yes. My father was one of them until he fell for my mother. They run away because no one accepted them. The clan didn't want a hunter between them and my father’s family would never accept her. Well, they end up killing her so…”

Minho felt sorry for Yeou and he moved to sit beside her on the bench because she was avoiding looking at him, the darkness half hiding her expression. She didn't move when Minho sat next to her.

“Why did they take your brother?”

“He was human. He didn't inherit the powers of my mother.”

“But you also didn't…did you?” Minho raised his eyebrows and Yeou hugged herself.

“I don't know. Apparently, I don't have any but my grandfather says I do. That sooner or later I’ll know. I wonder what he means. Anyway, it doesn't matter. No one truly wants me. They probably didn't take me because I resembled my mother.”

Minho raised his hand to touch her but hesitated. She looked at him and his heart skipped a beat. She was really beautiful like a doll and no wonder he thought she was not real the first time he saw her. He his lips and imagined himself touching her cheek pulling her to him, to his lips but he didn't do any of that. Instead, he lowered his hand into his lap.

“You must miss your brother.”

“I do. I worry that I might meet him someday though.”

“Why?”

She smiled bitterly “He hunts Earth Gods. What do you think that will happen if he finds this place, if he finds Lee Jinki or even me?”

“Is it a big group?”

“No, they aren't many and Earth gods aren't too worried about them but…”

Minho noticed how her voice trembled. She wasn't worried for her or the clan, she was worried for her brother that could find his death.

Minho raised his hand and placed it softly on her head running his fingers down her hair in a comforting caress. She didn't say anything but her body moved more in his direction.

Somehow he felt calmer now.

15ry69e.jpg

 

“I bet that more than half of you hate me or want me dead.” Hyejin remarked “And the other half don't care about me and probably see me as another human. He didn't. He saw me as Me, like no one ever did. And after I jumped over my prejudice I saw him as he is.” Hyejin smiled at Jinki but he didn't smile back still eyeing her apprehensively “And I want to tell you what I saw so you can all know that there is no one more fitting to rule this clan than Lee Jinki.” She took a deep breath “Tigers are a symbol of strength, they have an amazing moral and ethics, they thrive to protect their kin and Jinki is a doctor, a caretaker. He excelled on it and he worries for everyone that is important to him. He loves this clan so I'm sure he will always do his best. Besides he follows through with anything when he gets his mind into it. He told his father he would be a doctor and he became one. He broke up with me and is willing to cut all ties with me only because it is what this clan expects of him. If there is anyone inside this room that has all the characteristics of a perfect Tiger and leader that one is Jinki. Above all he isn't afraid to be who he is, to be honest about his feelings and thoughts. His actions define him. He could have lied to all of you and denied everything but he didn't. He chose to be honest, he chose to be rightful and that is the kind of leader you should have. One that isn't scared of taking responsibility for his actions.” She finished in a heartbeat, her hands trembling beside her body and looked at Jinki. He seemed pleased and she relaxed knowing that she did well.

“Why should we listen to the words of human though?” Kyou - Chul asked not even taking the effort to stand up from his seat.

“Why should we listen to yours when you are like everyone else in this room. “Hyejin attacked back “I love Jinki not because of his blood or his family but because of his character. I love and admire him and I would follow him if he was a king...” She stumbled on her words “...chief...leader…”

Jinki covered his mouth hiding his smile and touched her arm softly. He stepped beside her and then bowed to everyone apologizing.

“I'm sorry.” he stood up still not releasing her arm “I love her and even though I apologized for bringing you all doubts I won't apologize for having feelings for her. Her speech although very pretty and noble won't change my resolve to cut ties with her.”

Hyejin gasped frowning at Jinki but he didn't change his mind.

“I will follow my path and go through with the promises I’ve made.”

“No!” It was the Shaman’s time to interrupt and walk to the front of the room. Jinki looked at him sweating profusely. What now?

“Actually you won't because there are facts you and everyone are ignoring.”

“Which facts?” Jinki’s father asked and the old man pulled a folded paper from inside his the pocket of his coat and showed it to everyone.

“Here are the blood texts I've made matching Lee Jinki with the available females for him to mark. Its been made since the start of the Earth Gods era, especially by the most ancient and powerful families. I've run several tests during these months and unfortunately a good match wasn't found until recently.”

“I don't see why this is relevant now.” Jinki interrupted “Someone was already selected and…”

“She isn't the one with the highest compatibility with you. Actually, I found a female that is your perfect match.” He looked at the crowd in front of him “You know what that means right? A healthy powerful lineage will come from it.”

“W-who did you test?” Jinki asked clueless.

“This match not only wants to be marked by you but also is willing to be beside you and help you if you become a chief clan.”

“Who is this person?” Jinki’s father asked relieved that such a person existed. A long living, powerful lineage was good reasoning to convince everyone to accept Jinki as a clan chief in the future.

“Very closeby…” the old man said smiling, his gaze moving to Hyejin that blushed deeply.

Jinki widened his eyes shaking his head but was too late.

“It’s me. I’m the perfect match.” her gaze burned into Jinki’s and he swallowed hard. Both couldn't ignore the confusion that settled inside the room.

“This can only be a joke!” “How can they match?”

“Their cubs will be strong and do greater things!” the Shaman said over the noise “This is the sign we waited for years! A union between humans and Earth Gods! Our clan was chosen by the gods! We should be honored!”

No one seemed to feel honored though and Jinki fought the urge to grab Hyejin's hand and pull her away from there. Now that she somehow meant something to everyone in the room he knew that his life would never be apart of hers however that didn't leave him happy, it scared him. She was in danger more than ever, she couldn't escape that world anymore.

“Also there was a vision!”

At that Jinki looked away from Hyejin.

“It was predicted! She is supposed to be marked by him, to marry him!”

That was going too far and Jinki felt dizzy and stepped back going against his father that placed a strong hand on his shoulder steadying him.

“Let's do a break here and reunite in one hour!” He announced to the room “And now we…” He seemed as lost as Jinki and was looking from him to Hyejin until his eyes fell in the old Shaman “You explain to me what is going on!”

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

It was time for Hyejin to sit out of the room where Minho was before chewing her nails while watching the door that was now closed to her.

It was voting time and only the members of the clan could vote. Jinki, Taemin and other descendants of the most important families were able to watch but obviously, she couldn't.

After the meeting, Jinki’s father lead his family, Hyejin and the Shaman to another room where they were able to talk about what has been said. The Shaman showed the chief clan the exam he has made and presented his theory that Hyejin would be the right choice to become Jinki’s partner. Of course, he didn't believe it at first and eventually she was kicked out of the room joining Minho and Yeou outside.

Short after the Shaman came outside to warn her that they would go through another meeting and voting to decide if Jinki could become apart of the clan or not and now more than one hour has passed and still they had no news.

A pair of hazel eyes blinked in front of Hyejin and she almost jumped on her seat. Yeou was once again crouching in front of her, watching her carefully her head laying over her hands.

Hyejin’s gaze moved to Minho looking for an explanation since the young woman didn't seem to want to stop looking at her in a weird way.

Minho shrugged his shoulders used to the girl's weird behavior but the truth was that he also found it very uncanny how she seemed enchanted with Hyejin. Maybe it was because she was surprised that a human could match Jinki.

“W-what is wrong?” Hyejin asked after a while.

Yeou tilted her head “Nothing just…”

“Just?”

“You aren’t as plain as you seem.”

Hyejin’s eyes widened and she frowned not seeing that comment as a praise at all. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“She is probably talking about the fact that you are a human and yet you suit an Earth god, right?” Minho tried to help but Yeou shook her head slowly.

“You are special indeed. Winning the heart of Earth God's and human males.”

Hyejin blinked her eyes and looked at Minho. She probably meant him and then that implied that maybe she was jealous?! They did seem to have some chemistry and something was going on when joined them. It was as if she interrupted a moment between them.

“Whatever…” Yeou said after a while standing up and raising her arms over her head in a lazy stretch before she walked away. Hyejin watched her suspiciously still not sure if she could trust her. Supposedly she was the Shaman's granddaughter, that was how Minho introduced her to Hyejin but she never saw her around the house, she never even had a meal with them or was mentioned by her grandfather. Also, she acted like a weird rebellious teenager and not like the granddaughter of an intelligent and respected man like the Shaman.

The door of the room opened and one of the male servants came out. Hyejin got up immediately and Minho and Yeou turned to face the man.

“Moon Hyejin ssi, the decision has been made. Can you follow me?”

All eyes fell on her as soon as she entered the room but she ignored it searching for Jinki that barely looked at her, seeming tense in the middle of his father and the Shaman.

“Please answer honestly.” Jinki’s father asked her as soon as she joined them in front of the room.

“I will.” They probably could taste her nervousness if she lied to them anyway.

“Are you already married to someone?”

“No, I’m single.”

“Do you have any member of your family that isn't human?”

Hyejin chuckled “Well sometimes my cousins on the side of my mother seem to have no heart but they are still very human.” She pressed her lips together since no one seemed to find her comment amusing “I’m also human. I’m sure the Shaman already…”

“Only answer to the questions being asked.” The chief clan interrupted her and Hyejin swallowed hard.

“No. I don't. They are all human.”

“Are you fertile?”

Hyejin widened her eyes wondering if she heard the question right but there was no sign of doubt or embarrassment in Jinki’s father’s face. Was he truly asking what she thought he was?

“Do you mean…?” She felt her cheeks get red. The room was filled with men and yet they were asking her about something that personal.

“Are you able to have a baby, to procreate?” Jink’s father rephrased it as if she was dumb and didn't get the question the first time he asked it.

How could she even know the answer?! It wasn't as if humans went around testing their ability to reproduce without trying and failing at it first. Supposedly she was fertile but how could she even know? Damn, she was a and babies were the last thing in her mind. Hyejin searched for Jinki again but he seemed to be more interested in a spot in the distant wall than in her. Did it make him uncomfortable as much as it did make her that his father was asking about that?

“I think I am.”

“You don't know?”

“It’s not like I’ve tried before...I mean…” She blushed deeply this time and she was certain everyone by now was able to realize that she had zero experience in that field. That was probably the most embarrassing moment of her life and she felt like crying.

“We can run tests.” The old man suggested and she looked at him thankful that he spoke and found a solution for her. Hyejin saw Jinki swallow hard and look at her briefly. Yes, it also made him uncomfortable.

She probably looked miserable because the Shaman spoke again, this time directly at her “The wife of a chief clan should be able to carry his seed. That’s why we need to be sure first.”

“Right.” She answered swallowing her tears hoping that no one would notice them. “I think I am able to do that.”

“Exams shall be made then.” Jinki’s father remarked “We have voted previously and the clan has decided. There seems to be no reason to go against the decision of the clan.” Hyejin saw some of the clan members shake their head and one was even whispering something to that disgusting man that was so opposing to Jinki before but the majority seemed to be pleased with the decision. “The exams proving that the human is fertile should be shown to the elders until tomorrow noon. If it is confirmed that this woman fits all requirements than the preparations for the initiation ritual will continue.”

Everyone started to get up to leave and Hyejin waited nervously wondering if that meant that everything went well. She had no idea what kind of fertility test she had to do now and she had so many doubts about what would happen next. She turned to the Shaman, the only one that actually seemed to acknowledge her presence in the room until then as more than a human but as an actual person but however, this time Jinki was watching her as if he just suddenly noticed that she was there.

“Did it go well?” Hyejin asked both of them, her eyes drifting to Jinki’s father that was talking with one of the elders. Her presence in Jinki’s life could be tolerated by the clan but for sure his father would be harder to convince.

“Very well.“ the old man answered “Better than I thought it would.”

“What does that mean?” She asked but got no answer because Jinki’s father approached them again and his mother and Taemin joined them too.

Jinki’s mother grabbed Hyejin’s hands gently and smiled warmly at her “It will be good to get to know you.”

Hyejin smiled weakly back. That was the first time anyone from his family actually greeted her so nicely. “Know me?” Did that mean that she could be with Jinki then?!

She searched for Jinki that was behind his mother and her smile widened however he frowned and looked away as if he was upset with her. Did she do something wrong? What has been decided after all? “What happened?”

“You do the exams necessary and learn all you can so you won't embarrass my family in the ceremony.” Jinki’s father warned her.

“I will.” Whatever she had to do she would. As soon as she answered the clan chief walked away and his wife quickly followed him. The Shaman patted Hyejin’s arm gently and then pulled Taemin with him leaving Hyejin finally alone with Jinki.

“Are you alright? What is happening?” She asked him as soon as she was sure no one was hearing them.

“They accepted me. I got 84% of the votes. I can enter the clan and I can run for the clan chief position. I have big chances to win since I got such a high percentage of support.”

“That's good. That's really good!” yet he didn't seem happy so her enthusiasm faded.

“They also decided that since I am running for chief I should go all the way and go with the best choice for more energy purpose and better heredity.” Hyejin bit her lower lip “In other words they decided that I should mark the person with whom I have the biggest compatibility.”

“Does that mean…” her heart started beating faster and she couldn't control her face anymore. He probably could read the waves of love she was sending his way “Then you and me…we…. She couldn't even say the words. He would mark her and no other woman, she would be definitely accepted by everyone, she didn't have to leave and they no longer needed to hide. “We will be together!”

“Yes.” He sighed his gaze softening and yet he seemed sad.

“You won't mark that other girl or any other right?”

“I won't.”

They would officially be a couple. “That's great!” That was what they wanted, right? To be together and yet he wasn't smiling. “You don't seem happy!”

“I wish this was discussed with me before.” His voice lowered “This whole plan to get us together by me marking you.”

“It was!” She told him before about it. It was true he didn't take her serious nor the Shaman’s words but it was.

“Not really. Not in this way. This could have gone so wrong. Hyejin if I lost they could have decided to kill you. Do you realize that? That I could have been ordered to end your life?”

“Would you have done it?”

“No, hell no. I would have run away with you I…” He would have denied his clan and family for her. Ruin his life. ”That isn't the point. Either way, this can end with your death. The point is that I'm going to mark you, that you are a human and I’m going to drain your energy out with this connection…”

“You don’t want to mark me?” she asked disappointed.

“Honestly, no I don't!”

She flared and he knew that would let to another argument between them.

“Hyejin, I told you before that no human resisted after being marked by an Earth god. You won't survive this Hyejin and I will kill you. I don't want to do it!” he stepped back almost frightened.

“Just because it never happened before it doesn't mean that this time it will be the same!”

“Hyejin…”

“No tiger before you had white fur and everyone says its a bad thing and yet, is it? Are you going to believe stories about marking and…”

“It's not only stories Hyejin, it's what truly happened. It's facts not legends or made up stories like the ones about my fur.”

“Still is your fur a bad omen?”

“I don't know anymore. I brought you a lot of bad luck.”

She frowned going to argue back but he raised his hand in an authoritative way.

“It's enough. I'm not going to do it.” He frowned “Go home Hyejin before it’s too late, before you can't escape it anymore.”

He walked away and at first she followed him but then stopped. There was no point on arguing with him anymore. She knew Jinki wouldn't change his mind that easily. It was true that the example she used wasn't the best and that there was a seed of doubt inside her about what her future by his side would be and yet she didn't doubt for one second that whatever the outcome would be she belonged there by his side. She only needed to find a way to convince him of it.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

“So can she procreate or not?” Yeou asked sitting in the library's chair in front of Minho that was reading one of his books, doing his research.

“Who?” He frowned a little surprised with her appearance. She now came and went so silently and all the time that it confused him.

“The woman that you like and my cousin is going to mark.” She said raising a raw carrot to her lips and biting on it.

Minho sighed stealing it from her hand and biting on it also. She was a fox, not a rabbit.

“Ah, Hyejin? She did the exams this morning. She can have babies.”

“Good!” Yeou stole her carrot back and placed the rest on .

“Why?” Minho grinned “Do you like her?” Hyejin had a way to charm people and Yeou did seem very interested in her the previous day.

“Hum…” Yeou looked at the ceiling as if in deep thought and Minho chuckled because she looked adorable. “Only my grandfather knows of this but I think I have a sixth sense.”

“Really?”

“Yes and I think they match. My cousin and her I mean.”

Minho leaned over the book on the table and spoke softly to Yeou that blinked her eyes a little taken aback with his proximity “I think they match too and I don't have a sixth sense.”

She pouted because he was mocking her and then crossed her arms in front of her chest “Doesn't it bother you that they match when you love her?”

“As I said before I don't. I really like Hyejin and I want her to be happy. I also like Jinki and it brings me joy to see them together. Maybe I got over my feelings for her.”

Yeou bit her lower lip and did the same as he did leaning over the table so that she could see him up close. Minho didn't move or look away from her intense gaze. Her eyes were so beautiful and she was so attractive that he had to control himself not to touch her.

“You are happy with her happiness?” Was she trying to see in his eyes if he was lying?

“Yes.” He wasn't lying.

There was a sudden rush of emotions in her eyes and when he thought that she was going to sit back and annoy him with something else she tricked him and instead leaning further over the table and kissed him. Minho blinked his eyes surprised, a very pure looking Yeou in front of him with eyes closed moved her lips against his in an inexperienced way. His heart tingled and before he could kiss her back she immediately backed away, her cheeks red.

“Wow…” He didn't expect that at all.

“I felt like it!” Yeou explained looking at Minho sideways “ It's not like I like you or anything. I never kissed a human. I was curious.”

And he was almost sure she never kissed anyone or if she did it was when she was younger.

“So you go around kissing Tigers?” he teased.

“Only the ones that don't care that I’m an half-blood.”

Minho stood up from his seat and walked around the table his eyes on the thin woman that looked at him curiously. He stopped in front of her chair and placed his hand over the table in front of her. Yeou’s eyes moved to his hand briefly that looked huge beside her small one and then back to his handsome face that was now closer and closer to hers since he was leaning over her. He waited for her to say anything or push him away but she didn't.

“I’ll show you how humans kiss.” His low voice made her swallow hard but she didn't try to escape like she always did so Minho kissed her closing his eyes after he was sure she closed hers. This time he kissed her properly his other hand holding her head gently so that he could press his lips against hers and move them. She didn't move at first but slowly started answering to the kiss imitating him, slowly kissing him back. He could kiss her for a while since he was enjoying it but he didn't want to overwhelm her and pulled away.

Her eyes were bright and her fingers were now over his on the table in a small and yet sweet caress. He took the opportunity to caress her cheek softly. “Tell me your name.”

She wasn't a fox, and he wanted to know how to call that woman that was making his heart beat faster with a proper name.

“Ahjussi just because you kissed me it doesn't mean that there is anything between us. We are friends.”

Minho chuckled with her answer and caressed her head lovingly as if she was a little girl before sitting over the table next to her. “Don't be like that to your oppa.”

“Ahjussi!” She corrected him and then stood up her lips. He saw a hint of recognition in her eyes when she realized that a few seconds before his lips were moving against hers. Her gaze found his again and he knew that she wasn't in no way indifferent to what happened between them. “My name is Haneul.”

It was a common name but fit her perfectly and Minho nodded his head acknowledging it.

She shuffled her feet embarrassed as if she just shared a treasure with him and then run away leaving him alone.

Minho touched his lips and smiled. He didn't have a sixth sense like she claimed to have but he knew one thing, that kiss would be the first of many if it depended on him.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Meeting your future mother in law is already a nerve-wracking experience but it gets one hundred times worse when she is the wife of the leader of a clan of godly beings that can turn into a tiger and rip your head off. It was a miracle that she wasn't trembling sitting beside Jinki’s mother in the very antique and expensive looking couch of their living room filled with artifacts.

“You are really nervous.” His mother said serving the tea, the steam rising from the lookalike cups that they had in the museum of the palace.

“You can taste it. I always forget that!” Hyejin mumbled fidgeting with her hands over her lap.

Jinki’s mother smiled “Yes we can. My sense of taste is not the same it used to be though since now we usualy do a diet of animal blood that replenishes our needs perfectly.”

Hyejin smiled weakly wondering if that meant that she also would need to drink blood now that she was going to share a life with Jinki. She still had no idea how things would go from there, would they live together in that huge house? She secretly hoped she could go back to her house and have a slightly more normal life with him. She frowned remembering how her fiance told her to leave the previous night. They weren't married yet and he was already arguing with her.

“This is all so overwhelming!” Hyejin said ignoring the pain in her chest. She was doing everything for him and yet he was pushing her away. Alright, he was worried about her wellbeing, she could accept it but it was her own choice in the end if she wanted to throw her life away. However, it was also his choice if he wanted to be the reason for her demise. Hyejin bit her lower lip trying not to think about it more than she did during her sleepless night.

“You seem very weak right now.” Jinki’s mother said gently offering Hyejin the cup of tea “Drink some so you can feel stronger. You will have a few tough days.”

“Thank you.” Hyejin grabbed the cup politely and waited for Jinki’s mother to try the tea before she did. It had a slightly fruity taste different from the one she used to drink at the Shaman’s house.

“I have to confess that last time we met I knew who you were.”

Hyejin breathed the scent of the tea without answering. She had a feeling his mother did know she had a connection with Jinki back then.

“I could taste the way you felt when you looked at his pictures.” Hyejin’s future mother in law said “Love is such a beautiful feeling. It tastes wonderful.”

“T-thank you?” Hyejin’s awkward answer made the older woman laugh and she patted her hand as if they were related.

“I am also sorry for the way my husband treats you. He isn't open to change. He believes in traditions as the pillar of our society.”

“I understand.” He barely looked at her and when she arrived he left the room. Clearly, Jinki’s father didn't want to know his future daughter in law better. And judging by the way Jinki was absent he also didn't seem to want to see her. “I love Jinki very much and I know how this is important to him and I am willing to make sacrifices to be with him. I’ll work hard to not disappoint you.”

Jinki’s mother caressed Hyejin’s head as if she was a little girl and she felt warm inside. That woman was genuinely sweet and no wonder Jinki loved her and admired her so much. He certainly got his warm side from her.

“Do you understand what you are saying, child?” Hyejin was never treated so sweetly by her mother, at least not recently and she pressed her lips hoping that she could be accepted into that family as a daughter too “If Jinki becomes the chief there might be a time when you will have to leave your job and the life you have. And your life will be in danger. Clans have enemies. We are at peace now but we don't know what might happen in the future. Will you still be by his side if things get dark?”

Hyejin wasn’t scared of the dark when she was with Jinki. It was true that she didn't want to leave her job or be only a source of energy to Jinki. She wanted to be his partner and help him make changes in the clan. If they were together they were stronger.

“Until I met Jinki I was very lonely and scared. There were so many things I wanted to do and live back then but I didn't want to get hurt or show my true self. Jinki saw through my mask and he accepted me as I am. He makes me happy and I want to make him happy too. I think that if we are together we can do good things...but...does that mean he will have to stop being a doctor?”

“That’s what my husband wants and the clan. He should spend more time with his clan and not with humans.” Jinki’s mother sighed “I’m sorry.”

“Jinki seems to love being a doctor very much. I don't think he will be a happy chief clan if he has to give up on what he loves for it.”

“Well, we have to make sacrifices in this life. I wanted to be a florist but had to give up on it to help my husband. He runs a company and we also have a foundation where we help kids from poor families. I help out there and we have this big garden we take care of with the kids. It’s another way to follow my dream.”

“I had no idea you…”

“That we worked? That we had lives outside of this neighborhood?” She chuckled “Of course we do have lives. Just that they are way more restricted than yours. Jinki is supposed to take control of the company after his father retires, therefore, he can't be a doctor.”

“So it's not that much different from a chaebol typical drama.” Hyejin remarked frowning.

Jinki’s mother laughed agreeing with her.

“Then why all that crazy argument yesterday when you even have a foundation to help humans? Why so much hatred toward them?”

“Well helping them doesn't mean we want to be at the same level as them. At least that's what some believe. There is for some members of the clan a hierarchy that needs to be followed.”

“Now that I see it, it isn't much different from how some societies work.” Hyejin sighed “So they only accepted me because of my compatibility with Jinki?”

“Well, this is the first time we see such a high blessing from the gods. Our clan is dying, Earth Gods are dying more and more. Many couples are unable to have cubs or they die after birth.”

“I had no idea.”

“The blood is weak you see? So we started testing it and choosing couples that the gods bless. The Shaman makes a ritual and mixes the blood of both tigers and sees its compatibility. Apparently, you and Jinki are a match so your babies will be strong.” She squeezed Hyejin's hand that felt once again uncomfortable. So she was only chosen to have with Jinki and get pregnant. Not the romantic story she was hoping for.

“There is, of course, the fact that marking you, will make Jinki's stronger. It's a deep connection between two souls.” her smile reminded Hyejin of Jinki’s “Two are stronger than one.”

Hyejin bit her lower lip and looked at her lap. Maybe Jinki was right on wanting to push her away all that time. It wasn't as simple as being together forever. There were many variables when you were a part of his world.

“I know that right now you have an awful image of my family and this clan but I assure you that most of us are good. There is a reason Jinki sees humans as equals. This might surprise you but it's because of his father. He was the one who decided to turn the family business into a company where humans could work. He did it following the steps of his grandfather that helped so many humans during the darkest times. Jinki’s father hires humans through individual interviews conducted by him and he only hires people who truly need a job. He also opened the foundation where I help. It is very hard to be a chief clan, there are so many pressures and he struggles to express his feelings to others. He loves Jinki a lot.”

“Jinki does love him a lot too.”

“I know and maybe now that you are here and times are changing things will also warm up between them.” Hyejin nodded her head smiling warmly at the older woman. “Its good to have an ally.”

She felt exactly the same. It was good to have someone inside Jinki’s family that genuinely seemed to care for her and that was happy that she would become part of the family soon.

“Oh…” Jinki’s mother eyes moved to something behind Hyejin and she the couch to see what it was but the room was empty so she turned back again. Jinki's mother was drinking her tea with a soft smile on her lips so Hyejin followed.

Unknowingly to the young human woman Jinki was hiding in the hallway hearing their conversation.

He came out from his bedroom and the alluring and delicious scent of Hyejin made him walk like an enamored fool to the living room. However, he didn't feel like interrupting their conversation nor facing Hyejin.

He didn't sleep well last night and even went out to drink with Taemin and some friends.

Everyone was celebrating and yet he only felt like mourning. His chest hurt every time he thought about biting Hyejin’s arm to mark her. Drinking her inviting blood, her energy entering him almost made him aroused but at the same time, the vision disgusted him as if he was doing something wrong. His gain of energy would be her loss. He was truly cursed since he was going to kill the woman he loved.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin left Jinki’s house her head bubbling with all the things she learned that day and with many more questions that she had. Her mother in law spent almost all the time with her, teaching her about the parts of the ritual that would happen the next day and she even took measures for a beautiful dress. She had no idea how it would look on her and at first, she thought it would be some kind of tiger fur but from what she has seen it was a beautiful white dress that was supposed to float around her body like silk. It would be decorated with many petals of the Korean national flower. One side would be opened revealing her back and tummy, red silk only covering her s and the other covered in white, the strap decorated with flowers. It was going to be a dress out of a fairytale for sure and Hyejin was curious about it with the same intensity that she was curious about what Jinki would wear and if it would match what she saw on her vision.

She also had a lot to study and Jinki’s mother lent her a book for her to study the history of Lee’s family and a small brochure with pictures of the oldest members of the clan since she was supposed to impress them by knowing their names. She also had a box with a beautiful silver hair comb with a blue pearl in the middle and two moons beside it. She was going to use it the next day and it came from Jinki’s mother personal collection of artifacts. She was supposed to use another one that was more valuable and noticeable but his mother noticed how her eyes shine when she saw that one and she happily offered it to Hyejin as a gift. She couldn't wait to show it to Jinki, to dress up and show him that she could fit his world and there was nothing to worry about. Yet she was also very nervous about making a mistake and ruining everything.

When she was passing by the gardens she noticed two piles of male clothes on the floor. Hyejin stopped surprised and looked around the trees. One of the piles had even a piece of underwear and she stepped back wondering what that was doing there.

Then she heard the growling noises and followed the sound, walking between two closeby trees. Behind the bushes she could see a white cat and an orange one meowing at each other, jumping around in the grass. The orange one jumped over the white one and they rolled around pretending to bit each other. She covered smiling. That was for sure Onew her cat or Jinki, and the other one was probably Taemin. They were acting like two kitties would, playing like feline kids and she couldn't take her eyes from the adorable scene. They weren't really fighting because if they were they wouldn't be cats but tigers instead and for sure they wouldn't look that adorable.

Onew jumped out of Taemin’s way and the younger cat followed him hissing at Onew that hissed back. They were ready to attack each other when Hyejin stepped back and went against the tree behind her. It was a tiny noise but enough for both felines ears even though they were away, even though they probably smelled her scent before. Now that she thought of it they probably didn't notice her before because her scent was around the house the whole day. Which meant that Jinki probably used that to avoid her. Hyejin frowned and no longer cared that Onew was now looking at her, his blue cat eyes on her.

“I’m sorry.” She raised her voice “I didn't want to interrupt you two.” It felt weird to be talking to two cats. “Carry one with whatever you are doing!”

Onew meowed but she didn't stay to decipher that and walked away secretly hoping that he would follow. She walked the slowest she could, fighting the urge to look back to check if he was following. After what seemed like an eternity to her he showed up running to catch up with her.

He was still pulling his t-shirt over his body but still, she could see a glimpse of his chest. The chest of her vision. If everything went like she saw the next day she would feel it, she would feel like they belonged to each other and she would be able to love him and touch him. His blood, his body would be a part of her as much as she would be a part of him. Hyejin raised her eyes from his now covered chest to Jinki and almost gasped with the intense way he was looking at her. Could he read her mind? Could he feel what she was feeling?

“What are you thinking?” He asked raising one eyebrow his eyes still burning in blue filled with energy.

“W-why?” Could he read her ert thoughts? Could he know that she was thinking about ?

“You taste different…” He looked away as if he was in pain and Hyejin wondered if her taste hurt him somehow. “It's making me go crazy. Please stop.”

“Stop?” She wasn't doing anything besides being in love with him. Moreover, that was all his fault too. “I'm not doing anything.”

He raised a hand and poked her forehead with his finger. “Stop thinking about dirty things Hyejin.”

“Can you also taste that?”

He chuckled “A bit...I know you and already know the taste of your emotions.”

“Doesn't matter anyway!” She pouted crossing her arms over her chest, pressing the book and the box with the hairpin to her body. His eyes fell on the items and he frowned “You don't want to do them with me!”

“I--” He looked at her speechless. Was she crazy? There wasn't anything he wanted more than make love with her “You know that's not it. I’m worried about you. I care too much about you to hurt you.”

“You won't hurt me! I know! I saw it!”

“What?”

“I saw us together. I was the one who had the vision. I saw you biting yourself in the blood ritual and I was there in front of you. And then I saw myself bathing in the pound and I was happy...I…”She blushed. She saw herself after they had .

Jinki didn't react looking at her with a blank expression that slowly softened “That's why you went to the meeting.”

“Yes. I didn't know what I saw at first but then The Shaman explained it to me.”

“How did you see it? Did anyone make you have a vision? Was it the Yeou?”

“No. Wait, That girl? She can have visions?”

“She sometimes acts weird so I thought. Forget it. Tell me how it happened.”

Hyejin took a deep breath. She couldn't tell him about everything she saw, not yet. He frowned suspiciously of how long she was taking to answer. “You won't believe it but it was the myositis. Well, you probably believe it since this is your world. But I touched it and it showed it to me. I think I might have asked it about us and it answered.”

“Did you suffer?” Jinki asked looking deep into her eyes which made Hyejin swallow. He was testing her. He could taste her mixed emotions and he knew her. If she lied he would know.

“I fell on my .” It was better to try and divert him of what he was truly asking.

“No, I mean in the vision. Did you suffer in it? What more did you see?”

She saw her death. She was almost sure that was what she saw even though the Shaman said otherwise. It hurt so much, much more than anything she ever experienced and yet she felt at peace when it was over, the feeling running through every fiber of her body.

“No. I saw…” She wasn't lying, just telling him another part of what she saw, the part that mattered. “I was happy when I was with you. I was relaxed and very happy.” Her heart was exploding with happiness in the part of the vision where she bathed herself and that was the part she chose to focus on.

Jinki’s lips parted into a smile and he made the first gesture to touch her caressing her cheek tenderly.

That was the right thing to do, more than ever she was sure of it. Jinki’s smile, the way he radiated, gravitating towards her, his warm hand on her cheek. That was all she needed to be sure of her choice.

What came next was only a price to pay for that happiness.

“Alright. There is no point turning back now.” he chuckled and then a hint of doubt cross his eyes “Well I mean you can still give up if you want.”

Hyejin ignored him and used her free hand to pull him by his t-shirt to her planting a sweet lingering kiss on his lips.

“No.” She whispered once they parted “I definitely want this.”

“Good.” He smiled amused leaning forward kissing her again. “What do you have there.” His eyes fell on the book and the box and she happily showed her treasures to him.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

“I have one question.” Hyejin the blanket and faced Jinki that was right beside her laying on it. They were watching the stars and holding hands without even talking much, enjoying that brief moment of peace out in the Shaman’s garden. That day she spent it reading about his family and memorizing names of old people with Yeou’s help. Surprisingly the young woman liked her and Minho even though she wouldn't stop bickering with the last one. They seemed to be flirting most of the time and it amused Hyejin. Then he helped her with the ritual part telling her what she had to do and why. She also took a bath that noon with the help of the Lee family’s maid that came to the Shaman’s house to help.

She never felt as much like a princess like she did that day. She even had to undress in front of the maids as they do in the movies - she hated that part - and they all worked on bathing her with a sponge in water filled with scented flower essences. After that, they all helped her shave and treated her skin so she would look the most beautiful the next day. Her skin was so soft now that she couldn't stop touching herself and her hair smelled wonderful. The next day she would go through it all again just before the ceremony and then she would get dressed and marry a Tiger Earth God. By that time the next day, she would be sharing a bed with Jinki and only that thought made her heart beat faster at random times and yet Jinki didn't show any reaction to it because he probably was feeling the same.

“What question?”

“I couldn't ask it to anyone because it's embarrassing.”

Jinki chuckled eyeing the night sky above him “Tell me.”

She did the same so that she didn't have to face him while asking something embarrassing like that “We are going to…mate.”

“Yeah!” he released a deep breath as if the thought was also incredibly overwhelming to him as it was for her “Are you scared?” It was going to be her first time after all.

“No...no, I'm not.” she looked at his profile unable to control herself.

He smiled sweetly making her heart beat faster “I've been waiting for it for a long time.” Jinki confessed “I really want you.” He turned his head to look at her and her heart leaped on her chest.

The intensity of his feelings and desire matched hers and Hyejin felt her body heat increase. “Don't say that kind of stuff to my face like that!”

Her weak scolding made him laugh and she watched how breathtaking he looked with his hard chest moving with every laughter. The chest she would touch the next day, maybe kiss…

“Well, its the truth.”

“I also...you know...I…”

Jinki squeezed her hand and turned to look at her again this time with his body so that he could face her “I know. And I bet you are extremely nervous because I am very very nervous.”

“Why? I am the one that doesn't know anything about what she is going to do. Neither at the ceremony or after. “ She was the one that was a after all.

“Yes but you are special and I want it to be the most special to you.” She turned to face him and Jinki caressed her cheek “It's going to be weird and pressuring already with everyone expecting us to do it.”

“Will they check if we truly did it?” Like they used to do in ancient times to see if she was a or something.

“No-” Jinki frowned finding the idea ridiculous “They will just invite us to sleep together in a fancy room where all the magic happens.”

She blushed. Magic…

“So if you don't want to we don't truly need to do it. We can just sleep.” He swallowed hard though and frowned because it was clear he wanted it and she did too. The idea of faking it made zero sense.

Minho told her about that room also. The one that has the pound she saw on her vision. That was supposed the room where they would have and he would get her pregnant. The place where every descendant of the chief clan slept after they marked their partners.

“Minho told me that the room is supposed to be blessed to make the female partner more fertile to…” Jinki barely blinked and Hyejin closed her eyes and just asked what she wanted to “Are we supposed to make a baby so soon?”

He didn't answer so she opened her eyes slowly. Jinki was looking at her with a pensive expression “Well yes. That's the whole point of mating.”

Hyejin sat up on the blanket in shook. She didn't mind having a baby in the future with him but not yet. She was so young and she barely could take care of yourself properly.

Jinki sat slowly up and placed his hands over his knees sighing deeply. “Don't worry I don't want to be a father yet.”

“But you just said…”

“The tradition says one thing but I’ve never been one to follow traditions, have I?” he laughed sadly “Besides no ones expect it to happen soon. They probably prefer that it doesn't actually since they are still getting used to the idea of having a human being marked officially. So if we…” He smiled and rubbed his forehead looking at her from behind his bangs “If we have we will use contraception.”

“I see.” She looked away relieved and embarrassed.

“Were you worried?”

“A little. I don't think I'm prepared for that yet. The idea of a baby is already so scary, now imagine having a baby tiger.”

Jinki chuckled laying his head over his knees and Hyejin placed her hand on his head caressing him. He didn't move accepting the loving gesture. He seemed extremely tired and she felt sorry for him. The past days were very hard on both of them but especially on him. He confessed to her earlier that he went drinking the previous night and barely slept which made it the second night in a row.

“I’m also curious about something else.”

He raised his head looking at her with tired eyes “You are curious about many things.”

“Don't blame me! Not my fault that I entered a freaking fairytale!"

He shook his head and then kissed her cheek quickly. “I'm not. Ask it.”

“If we have a baby together is there a chance it won't be a tiger?” She was human after all and earlier that day Minho told her about Yeou's origins. What if they had a baby and it wasn't the tiger everyone hoped it to be?!

“That's a very low probability since my blood is pure and ancient.”

“Really?”

“Yes. It will be for sure a tiger healthy and strong.”

Hyejin smiled to herself. The idea actually attracted her. Jinki sneaked an arm around her and pulled her to him. She hugged him back and pressed her head against his chest closing her eyes. Everything seemed like a dream, like one of the stories her father used to tell her and sometimes she was scared that she might wake up and all was a product of her imagination.

“I can't believe this is happening.” She mumbled against his chest and Jinki kissed the top of her head.

“Tell me about it. Not even in my wildest dreams I've ever thought that I would mark you, let alone that the clan would accept you.”

“I'm special.” She hugged him harder and he chuckled caressing her back.

“Yes, you are.”

Maybe all that time they were wrong and there was indeed a fairytale where they were at the same time a prince and a princess, where there was a happy ending saved for them.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

A soft calm song played in the background filling the dark and quiet room. The man approached the window, his body blocked the moonlight casting a shadow scary figure on the floor and walls. He opened the window and the soft breeze made a single scented candle on the shelf over his bed to flicker.

He laid over the windowsill looking outside at the calm street. Not many were outside and they were all oblivious to the man watching their every step. Some of them probably even knew him from the tv or the music they heard on their way from work.

Jonghyun sighed raising his eyes now free from contact lenses back to the moon. When his manager suggested that he used colored contact lenses he was happy because that way no one would notice that he wasn't exactly what he seemed to be but it would tire his eyes and it bothered him.

Jonghyun was in love with the moon. That's what his fans and everyone said and it wasn't far from the truth. The moon always fascinated him and more than that he had a deep connection with it that no one from the common world would understand.

Jonghyun smiled bitterly thinking of the young girl he met when he was a little boy.

“Hyejin…” Only saying her name brought the taste of blood to his mouth. She didn't know him or remembered him for sure and yet he knew all about her, more than she could even grasp. He wondered if she also had nightmares like he did with bloodthirsty hounds, if she also looked at the moon feeling as if it was going to crash into her and yet unable to look away, if she also sometimes questioned what was her true propose in her life and when it would all come to an end, to the moment they realized they were linked in most of the cruelest and profound way.

Because he did every time he said her name.

 

14t81v9.jpg

Hello ~ I'm back. I hope you are doing well.

The moment you all have been waiting for (well everyone with a dirty mind at least XD) is coming true very soon. Also, we will learn who Jonghyun is and more adventures await our characters! ^^

Please comment, upvote, subscribe!
Thank you for reading.
 
Also, I now have a Ko-fi account.