Chapter XIII - Going Further

Treat for Two

= Chapter XIII =

Going Further

 

 

 

Heaven knows your name I've been

Praying to have you

Come here by my side

Without you a part of me's missing

Just to make you my own I will fight

 

 

Hyejin looked from Jinki to his father and back unable to say anything even though she really wanted to and fix all that mess.

Jinki didn't speak his eyes drifting to the floor briefly as if he feared being scolded and then up to his father. He seemed to be trying to find an excuse and not finding any.

Slowly his father started to laugh, moving his hand pointing at Jinki but turning to the man beside him.

“My son Jinki…” He laughed louder as if he just witness the most hilarious thing “He must have been drained for all the preparations and after drinking he felt hunger.” Jinki frowned and Hyejin blinked her eyes confused. “So he seduced the maid and was going to feed on her. I’m sorry.”

The other man chuckled, the confused expression on his face disappearing “Oh I see. I’m sorry we interrupted.”

Hyejin could see Jinki’s adam’s apple move when he swallowed and she felt more hurt seeing the pain on his face than with the fact that everyone was treating her as a piece of meat.

“That’s not…” Before he could finish she stepped in front of him.

“That’s exactly true. He is so attractive, I’m sorry.” She bowed to the older men in front of her and looked at Jinki pursing her lips. His surprised gaze didn't move her from her decision to cover him and slowly he relaxed accepting that gesture of love, a hint of gratefulness in his eyes.

Hyejin lowered her head and quickly left the room, she ignored the guests and maids that were so busy that didn't even notice her and left the building. The cold night air made her shiver but she was relieved. She turned around sending the building one last look and resumed her way back to the Shaman’s house passing the garden that belonged to what everyone called as the Sacred House. It was connected to the clan’s chief house and Jinki’s ceremony and all the clan sacred rituals were made inside that place, witnessed by the ancient trees that now seemed to look down at Hyejin. She hugged herself now cursing the pretty clothes she was wearing. She knew it wasn’t the garden’s fault, her heart was heavy because of what just happened because Jinki’s father in law was quick to accept Jinki’s father excuse rather than see what it truly was, an intimate moment between lovers.

She was so lost in her thoughts she barely noticed that she was already at the back gate of the old man’s house. Hyejin pushed the gate and closed it carefully trying not to disturb Minho and the Shaman. They were like they often were, drinking tea and talking about the Tiger Earth costumes while they looked at the stars, sitting over the wood patio.

“You tricked me with that story about using a candle in the library, didn’t you?” Minho was asking the old man that raised his gaze to Hyejin but didn't greet her. She had no idea what they were talking about but seemed important to Minho so she didn't interrupt them.

“I didn't trick you. You know that light attracts all types of bugs, even butterflies.”

Minho pursed his lips in thought remembering the pale girl he met the previous night. She lacked color, dressed all in black, only her auburn hair broke the monotony. She recalled him of a fox, he would never call her a butterfly though.

“Yes but it keeps others animals away. The first men protected themselves with fire for that reason.”

The old man nodded agreeing with it and sipped his tea as if he had all time in the world before answering which annoyed Hyejin. She was still waiting for him to ask her how it went so that she could vent out all her frustration. He probably tasted how upset she was already and yet he was still deep in talk with Minho as if he had nothing better to do as if she wasn’t there waiting.

“But, fire can also attract humans. Imagine a traveler, lost, alone in the woods. Won't he believe that he was saved if he found someone else by a campfire? He will walk in the direction of the light, of the candle. Humans do everything to run away from darkness, to find someone that might be able to save them for it.”

Minho blinked his eyes and stood in silence digesting what the old man said and trying to understand if there was a hidden message behind it. He parted his lips looking at the man for clarification but the Shaman only chuckled drinking his tea.

“Did you tell me to light the candle so she would come to me?” Minho asked, the choice of words he made surprised him and his ears heat up as if he just said something forbidden and he couldn't grasp why he felt like that.

Hyejin looked at him wondering what he meant and Minho tried not to look at her feeling weirdly embarrassed and because he was waiting for some kind of confirmation coming from the Shaman.

“Did someone come to you?” The man asked instead apparently as confused as Hyejin and Minho tilted his head trying to read the old man’s reaction. Was he feigning ignorance or he truly didn’t have anything to do with it? Minho couldn't tell.

“I’m not sure.” Maybe she was truly a spark of his imagination, maybe Hyejin’s suspicious of the old man’s manipulative actions were affecting him too.

“So how did it go?” It was Hyejin’s time and the Shaman turned to her.

She puffed her cheeks as if she was a balloon ready to explode and Minho felt sorry for her.

“Did you give him the vitamins?” The man asked again.

She slowly released the air inside and her cheeks got slightly pink.

“Yes, and his father and father in law showed up and they saw him taking the whole damn bottle of vitamins.”

The old man covered his mouth laughing as if he was a meddling ajumma and Hyejin gritted her teeth trying to control her emotions. He was probably having a feast and all thanks to her misery. Even Minho chuckled realizing what she meant, trying hard to hide it from her.

“But, but are you alright? Did they say anything?” Minho asked.

“His father explained that Jinki was feeding.”

“As if. The only times Jinki fed on a woman was probably with some short and quick ual relationship out of despair and of course when he was sick and you helped him.” the Shaman said drinking his tea. “He doesn’t drink human blood.”

Hyejin’s forehead creased and Minho feared that she would grab the cup of tea in the old’s man hand and throw the hot liquid at his face. Speaking about Jinki’s old flings and how they meant nothing to him besides a source of food and pairing it with the sacrifices she made for him was not a good idea.

“Did he believe it?” Minho asked standing up just in case he had to grab an angry Hyejin.

“Yes, he did. Jinki was going to deny it but I…” She sighed, her shoulders sinking and Minho relaxed “I confirmed it.”

Minho nodded comforting her saying it was the best decision.

“It seems like it went well then.” The Shaman remarked staring at the stars and Hyejin bit the inside of her cheek, her anger turning into deep tiredness.

“Amazingly well!” she ironically said entering the house. Minho followed after her and she stopped and turned around. He was still holding the empty cup of tea and before she said anything he raised his hand stopping her.

“I know.” He smiled gently at Hyejin and she felt warmer and thankful. They didn't have much time to talk about themselves and her past feelings for him ever since they arrived there but Minho proved to be the best of friends and not once demanded them to have it. “I wouldn't have helped you if I didn't know. I can't taste your feelings but I see it in every action and in the way you look at him or even say his name. Hyejin, you completely broke down when he left you. No man can compete for your heart if it belongs to someone already.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don't be.” he smiled at her genuinely “I managed to make two good friends. Besides I have a fiance waiting for me.”

Hyejn pouted and Minho chuckled “I’m kidding.” He played with the cup “Anyway, thanks to you I’m living a dream. You have no idea how much I love being here and all the secret information that the library has. Yesterday I spent hours reading and I can't wait to get back there. Not to mention the fact that I decided to do research on the tiger clans.” Hyejin laughed “Honestly, I'm having a great time and at the same time I can help the main characters of a fairytale find their happy ever after. What do you need Hyejin?”

“How do you know I was going to ask you something?”

“Just a hunch.” He raised the cup “Or maybe this tea has secret powers. You should drink it more often!”

She wrinkled her nose and smiled “Actually I do have something to ask you. I’m very serious about having a relationship with Jinki but right now I’m a novice when it comes to his world. I need to learn more and you are…”

“The biggest Lee Jinki and Tiger God’s enthusiast!”

“Exactly!”

Minho raised his hand and Hyejin looked at it.

“Want to be my research partner?”

Hyejin’s lips spread into a smile and she grabbed Minho’s hands.

“It will be an honor!”

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin was picking up a piece of egg roll when Jinki entered the living room. She froze letting the egg fall back on the plate and stared at the old man in front of her, wondering what Jinki was doing there at breakfast time until it downed on her that the old man told her to invite him to eat with them. She didn't remember if she truly told Jinki anything but was almost sure she didn't which meant that…

“I saw Jinki yesterday and invited him to come. He must be with a hangover after last night.” The Shaman explained gesturing for Jinki to sit beside Hyejin, the only empty place.

She stiffened in the chair and tried not to look much at Jinki. He sat beside her clearing his throat. “The medicine you gave me helped me a lot, thank you. I only have a mild headache. And once again thank you for visiting me.”

“I'm sorry I arrived late to the ceremony.”

“Not at all.” Jinki greeted the maid that served him a bowl with rice “You aren't required to be there and yet you came to give me advice.”

Hyejin chewed her rice slowly looking at them wondering what advice it was and about what. She felt a little betrayed that the old man let her leave and then went running to Jinki. He didn't even warn her that he would be there that morning. She could have prepared her heart. Being that close to him was enough to make her heart react in crazy ways.

“You are doing your initiation ritual next?” Minho asked leaning over the table. Hyejin frowned because everyone seemed to be overly excited over something that would separate her even more from Jinki. Even Mr. Kim the gardener was looking at Jinki seeming very interested.

“Yes. That's the only thing left.”

“I've been reading a lot about it.” Minho remarked “I wish I could go. The whole ritual is extremely interesting. The blood pacts and you turning and the purifying bath.”

“Purifying bath?” Hyejin asked.

“Yes, I have to bathe myself in front of the clan in the lake of the garden of the Sacred House.”

“Legends say every Tiger bathed there. It's like a reborn, and ascension to higher powers. There are many legends attached to that lake.“ Minho’s eyes shined brightly and he seemed to have forgotten about breakfast entirely.

“So you take a bath in the lake, in front of everyone...?” She turned to Jinki and he chuckled shaking his hands negatively, his eyes becoming two thin lines. He was so cute when he smiled like that and she held her breath. It was such a long time ever since she was able to have a meal with him, ever since she was able to just sit by his side and have a conversation.

“Not ...well I will be after I change into a Tiger but no one will see me .” He ate a spoon of rice and smiled amused "There aren't worries like that between Tigers though. I used to play with my brother all the time while being . Nonetheless, times are changing and things are different now."

“What about the blood pact?” She her lips and Jinki smile faltered a bit.

“Lee Jinki will offer his blood to the Gods as a sign of his commitment to them and the clan.” The Shaman explained “His blood will join the water where he will bathe.”

“So, he will hurt himself?”

“It's only a cut. It will heal fast.” Jinki explained not looking at her and Hyejin ate her food in silence.

It always ended up with him getting hurt, with him bleeding and she didn't like it one little bit.

“I've been reading a lot about the Tiger - Wolf conflict also.” Minho told “As I understand you have a pact now?”

“For years Tigers and Wolves, the biggest clans in South Korea, fought for power but we united during the darkest times.” Jinki explained looking at the Shaman as if waiting for him to tell him that he was speaking the truth “However even after that we fought like cats and dogs.” Jinki chuckled “So now we divided the country into two territories. We don't enter theirs and they won't enter ours.”

“But why did the conflict start again after the darkest times? I've read that there were many years of peace between clans. Is it true the stories that it all has to do with Myeongwol descendent?”

“No one knows for sure.”

Hyejin had no idea what they were talking about but she knew the name Myeongwol. It was the Goddess of the moon. It was insane how they were now talking about folktales and mythology identities as if they were indeed real people.

Their mealtime passed fast with the men talking more about the Tiger - Wolf conflict and Hyejin taking that time to look at Jinki. She gave up on pretending that his presence beside her did not affect her and spent the rest of the meal admiring his profile, his strong jawline and cute ears, his manly neck and broad shoulders. After a while, she was probably limiting too many love feelings because she noticed the Shaman looking at her differently and Jinki excused himself to leave.

He said goodbye to everyone and Hyejin faced her empty bowl embarrassed with her behavior. She could see through the corner of her eyes Jinki sending her a last look but he didn't wait for her reaction and left.

He had barely crossed the back garden when Minho joined him. He had hoped Hyejin would be the one to come running after him but Jinki hid his disappointment to himself.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“I-I met someone. A pale-looking girl with auburn hair. Not sure if it's her natural color though…”

“Oh, you met her.” The fact that Jinki knew of her existence reassured Minho that it wasn't all a dream. “She lives in the Shaman’s house, she’s probably his granddaughter.”

Minho nodded drinking any information Jinki would give him and Jinki’s lips twitched into a smile “Ahh...She is his granddaughter but actually she is not a part of the clan.”

“Why not?”

“Well, she is not of pure blood. She is half tiger only.”

“And you don't accept half tigers?”

“It's not as if we don't accept them. She can't change, or taste emotions or has the thirst for vital fluids. She is mostly a human only.”

“So she has no powers?”

Jinki rubbed his neck thinking. “I’m not sure, I haven't met many half tigers, and the ones I met usually could change. However, in her case it seems as if she was deprived of her Tiger side and yet she isn't entirely human...she is seen as…”

“A freak?” Minho concluded “An anomaly.”

Jinki didn't say anything but pursed his lips. He knew what she felt. He was also not entirely accepted because of the color of his fur. She had it worst though, living between two worlds and not fitting in any.

“I see. That explains why she moves like a ghost, why no one mentions her.”

“I don't know her full story but I know her mother was the Shaman’s daughter. She passed away and her father well, he isn't well accepted and not only cos he is human.” Minho sighed now feeling sorry for the fox-like woman “Look, I can ask around. I'm sure my mother knows more about this story. You seem very interested in her.” Jinki chuckled and Minho shook his head.

“No, no, I’m just curious. Tell me her name.” That was enough for him for now. Minho couldn't stop thinking about what possible name she had.

Jinki frowned “I always called her Yeou (fox). I honestly never asked her real name. I find it funny that everyone called her that. She spent all her time hiding around the Shaman’s garden and house. I remember playing with her once when I was a kid. She was only a toddler then.”

“Yeou...right. She truly seems to like hiding.”

“Hey, I can ask my mother her real name if you want. But why don’t you ask it to her yourself?”

“I never saw her anymore. It's as if she is a ghost.”

“How did you see her the first time? Where?”

Minho widened his eyes and Jinki’s questions gave him an idea. The Shaman could be right and maybe the light would attract her back to him.

“That's a good idea, thank you!”

Jinki chuckled and Minho walked away without even saying him goodbye.

Jinki watched him go and crossed his arms in front of his chest proud of what he just did. Minho was a good guy and he seemed to have a genuine interest or attraction towards the Shaman’s granddaughter. Despite what people said about her she seemed to be a decent woman for Minho to fall in love with. Certainly way less complicated than falling for someone like him.

Jinki uncrossed his arms when Hyejin showed up at the gate.

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.” She turned around and he followed her back into the Shaman’s house garden and both sat on the garden bench that was surrounded with flowers. Finally they were alone after what happened the previous night and he rubbed his neck very self-conscious. He thought she would be upset with him but the way she looked at him during breakfast and the feelings coming from her contradicted it.

“Thank you for yesterday.” He started.

“Don't mention it.” She quickly pushed the subject away and as he thought she was still upset about it.

They sat in silence beside each other and Jinki’s eyes fell on her hand over the bench close to his. He slowly moved his fingers tracing a path to her hand but she suddenly placed her hand on her lap instead and he sighed frustrated.

“The flowers are pretty. My mother really likes Stargazer lilies.” Jinki remarked trying to end with the silence.

She the seat and before he had time to react she kissed him. Jinki raised his hands in submission and widened his eyes. He should have pushed her away since the last time they kissed things could have ended up bad for them but instead he placed them on her shoulders and closed his eyes kissing her back. She shivered against his lips and Jinki wrapped his arm around her cupping her face with his other hand. She broke the kiss and took a deep breath laying her head on his shoulder. None dared to move and Jinki hugged her close both staying like that for a while without saying anything. He wished he could stay like that without feeling guilty, without feeling as if he was giving her false hopes.

“I asked Minho to help me learn more about the clan and you.” She raised her head and looked into his eyes, her face so close to his that he could feel her hot breath when she spoke. His eyes moved to her lips and he found himself unable to look away, unable to fight the desire growing inside him. Hyejin caressed his cheek which made his gaze find hers.

“I and Minho talked. He knows I'm serious about you. Well, I made it very obvious.” She intertwined her fingers with his and Jinki looked at them briefly admiring how their hands looked together. “I don't want anyone else.” Hyejin said almost in a whisper looking down embarrassed and Jinki sighed overflowing with love. That was her way of saying that she loved him. He smiled caressing her hair, letting the back of his fingers touch the white skin of her neck. He his lip remembering how it felt against his lips the previous night, how her skin tasted, how she tasted…

“That's…good.” He raised one eyebrow uncertain if those were the right words but Hyejin laughed and cupped his face kissing him again. This time he didn't lose time and her lips showing her his intentions clearly. Hyejin parted them and he kissed her deeply, his tongue entering tasting her. She grasped the sleeves of his sweater and he pulled away again resting his forehead against hers.

“I want to see it now.” She said grabbing both his hands on her lap.

“See what?” He rubbed his nose against hers closing his eyes. Her scent was so strong and he wanted to hold her next to him even though he was sure that would never be enough. She was all he wanted and he was going crazy.

“See your fur.”

He opened his eyes and leaned back. “I have to turn for you to see and I can't do it here. My clothes will be ruined and people will question if I go back as a tiger.”

“Well then take off your clothes before you do it.”

“I will be Hyejin.”

“Let's do it in my bedroom.”

Jinki bit his lower lip trying to read her eyes. Was she tricking him to take him to her bedroom and seduce him? He knew she wouldn't need to do much and that scared him. However, Hyejin was looking at him innocently, her fingers moving in the middle of his as if she was bathing them in his warmth. His Hyejin had almost no experience with men, she was innocent and truly wanted to see his fur. Jinki chuckled and looked away now feeling like an idiot because he thought that that girl that was unable to say the word was that cunning.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He raised one of her hands to his lips and kissed it “Let's do it right now.”

She beamed excited and he smiled back at her both raising from the bench. Hyejin pulled him by his hand inside the house and Jinki let her guide him. They could be seen holding hands but he didn't care if the staff saw it. Hyejin was for the first time in a long time smiling brightly and he didn't want to ruin that moment for her.

She locked the door of her bedroom and Jinki pushed her bed against the wall so that there was enough space for a tiger to move freely inside the bedroom. Once he was done preparing the room he raised his sweater and was going to pull it over his head but stopped. Hyejin was looking at him, her cheeks slightly pink and he could read in her expression and emotions that she just realized he was going to get in front of her.

“You better turn around.” he suggested but Hyejin didn't move immediately. She parted her lips and her intense gaze burned into his. It was so easy to make love with her at that moment. No one would know, no one would question where he was but…

She turned around before he had time to ask her again to do it and Jinki sighed of relief taking his clothes.

Hyejin hugged herself and closed her eyes tight even though she had her back to him. She could hear the noise of him taking his clothes, of him unbuckling the belt of his pants and she swallowed hard fighting the desire of turning around and beg him to hold her.

When did she become that needy, so desperate to lose her ity?! She trembled knowing he was probably tasting her emotions and knew what she was thinking.

“Are you nervous?” he asked “I won't hurt you. I can fully control my tiger form. if I'm relaxed.”

“No.” She turned around to explain that that was not the case and Jinki widened his eyes covering his underwear with his sweater. She immediately turned back again and covered , her skin burning with embarrassment “I'm so sorry.” It wasn't the first time she saw him only on his underwear but things were different then.

“Just wait until I turn.”

“I- I'm not scared. I know you won't ever hurt me.” He almost lost his life to protect her. Why would she be scared? Besides she was the one who asked him so she could see his tiger form “Also, I saw you before.”

“Not fully .” He remarked.

“When you were a cat you walked around and when you were sick.”

“I wasn't fully when I was sick and when I’m a cat it doesn't count.” The movement behind her stopped so Hyejin supposed that he was already . “So you haven't seen my yet.”

The word made heart stop and Hyejin was glad he couldn't see her face. “Can you stop talking about those things.”

“Things? I should be offended.” yet he laughed “Don't turn around Hyejin and wait. Count slowly until ten and then turn.”

Hyejin did as he said. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. “One, two, three, four, five…” She wondered if turning made any noise, she couldn't remember it from when he told her before about who he was and turned into a cat. “Six, seven…” It was a tiger this time anyway “...eight...nine…” Apparently, it made no sound because she couldn't hear anything “Ten!”

Silence.

She moved her fingers on her dress and waited unable to turn around even though he told her to do it once she reached ten. Her heart was beating very fast that she feared that she couldn't hear him even if he growled. Because he couldn't speak right?

Something fluffy touched her leg and Hyejin flinched realizing that it was probably Jinki’s fur.

She slowly turned around and gasped overwhelmed with the big creature in front of her. As if he was a cat, the white tiger sat back and looked at her calmly barely moving. Hyejin kneeled on the floor in front of him and looked deeply into his eyes. He was beautiful, his eyes deep blue just like Jinki’s everytime she kissed him and filled him with energy. She smiled and touched his whiskers. He raised the side of his mouth but she wasn't scared and patted his head next. He titled his head against her hand as if he was a cat and she giggled burying her hand on his fur.

“You are beautiful.” His big eyes focused on her and Hyejin saw Jinki in them. He was truly there and she knew he needed to hear the truth. If everyone lied to him all his life she would spend the rest of hers doing the opposite “You are really beautiful.” She ran her hand down his neck and he followed her movement with his eyes looking like a big Onew, like her cat just in a bigger version. She realized then how much she truly missed Onew and wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him as if he wasn't a tiger and was a big soft toy instead. Jinki couldn't hug her back but leaned his head against hers not moving and she smiled knowing that that was his way of hugging her back.

She kissed his fur and he moved his snout against her chest pushing her down so that she would sit on the floor. She watched him curiously and then chuckled when he laid on his side on the floor of her bedroom and laid his heavy big furry head on her lap.

“You are a good boy.” Hyejin said caressing his fur on his chest and Jinki growled a little making her laugh. “What? Aren't you a bigger version of my pet?”

Jinki Hyejin’s hands and she petted him for a while admiring the beautiful black stripes on his white fur. How could anyone see that as a bad thing when he was so breathtaking?! He was liking her caresses because he closed his eyes and Hyejin could see his breathing slowing down, his body relaxing. He probably didn't have a moment of rest like that in a long time and he said at breakfast that his head still hurt. Also, he must have felt nervous showing her his true form, afraid she wouldn't like it or get scared.

Hyejin ran a finger between his eyes and down to his nose and that made him open his eyes. She then moved it over his lips and fangs. She was far away from being scared, on contrary, she felt very safe and she was overflowing with love. He wasn't a monster, he was special, he was magical and beautiful. Jinki raised his head and she saw herself facing his tiger eyes. Was he able to taste her love? Could he read what she felt for him in her eyes too?

She kissed his fur over his nose and he blinked his eyes.

“Thank you for showing it to me.”

Jinki got up from the floor slowly and Hyejin didn't move even though he was now bigger than her, his body stronger, even though he could rip her apart if he wanted.

Jinki pushed her gently with his head and she stood up “Do you want me to turn around again so you can go back?”

He moved his head nodding and she chuckled turning around her hand clutching her dress over her heart. She was happy. Happy he trusted her, happy she now knew that side of him, happy she loved him even more now.

“You can look now.” His voice startled her since she was too lost in her thoughts, hearing her heart beating fast. Hyejin turned around to see Jinki back to his human form. He was still buttoning his belt and was shirtless so she took her time admiring his body this time with no embarrassment, something that he noticed and made his ears turn red instead. There was no sign that he was a tiger before, besides little puffs of fur on the floor and his eyes still slightly blue.

“It truly happened.” She declared.

“Yes.” He pulled his sweater down his body and his gaze found hers again, the intensity matching the one from when he looked at her in his tiger form, his eyes slowly becoming darker again.

“This was the first time that I didn't feel like a monster by being in my tiger form in front of a human. Thank you.”

Hyejin jumped in his arms and cupped his face kissing Jinki. He almost lost his balance and hugged her against him. The energy floated into him like waves crashing on a shore in the middle of a storm and yet he couldn't care less about it. He could only feel the love on her lips and he wished he could kiss her like that forever.

Jinki grabbed her by her waist and pulled her away from him, both breathing fast, eyes filled with love.

“I need to go.”

“I know.” She kissed his lips softly and stepped back knowing that she couldn't demand anything from him, not now when he had so many things to worry about. She should be his safe haven. The place he could relax, where he could feel that he belonged.

Jinki stared at her a little surprised that she wasn't bickering with him and his lips rubbing his neck, his eyes falling on her red tasty lips once again.

“You can kiss me again if you want.” Hyejin offered and he groaned “I want you to do it.”

He knew she wanted it. His heart and body were a mess but he didn't deny the offer and pulled her to him by her neck and kissed her again, his body throbbing with need, this time her lower lip before releasing her.

He looked at her one last time and then unlocked the door of her bedroom.

She wanted to tell him that they would see each other later but touched her lips instead still feeling his warmth.

“I'll see you later." He said making her beam at him, happy that he was the one saying it for her.

“See you later.”

Jinki left and she hugged herself her eyes falling on the floor where the little puff of white hair was.

She knew all his forms now. The human, the tiger, even the cat and she loved him very much. She wasn't afraid of loving or anything as long as he was with her and there was nothing she wanted more than be with the one she loved. Lee Jinki was precious and she meant every word she said to him. In the end, he was the true prince of that story and she wanted more than ever to be a princess, the one that he chose for his happy ever after.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

So that Jinki could take time off from the preparations Taemin invited him to go swimming, one of their favorite activities. Just like tigers they used to spend hours inside the swimming pool, throwing water at each other or simply relaxing floating on the water.

Jinki was with half his body inside the swimming pool and his head laying over his arms outside of the pool, eyeing the blue sky trying to let his mind drift away from his confused life when a young lady passed by.

“Oh isn't that your girlfriend?” He asked turning to see Taemin that swam close to him and mimicked his position.

“Seo Ah.” He mumbled following her with his eyes but lowering his head beside Jinki as if he was hiding and he looked at him frowning.

The poor girl didn't even look their way, holding a box with a cake, her hair caught in a bun with a pretty hairpin, a cute girlish yellow dress flowing around her legs. She was the perfect example of a pretty, elegant, polite and cute girl, the kind of ones his mother loved and wanted Jinki for years to date. Jinki liked Seo Ah, she was the personification of a good person and she truly made Taemin happy or seemed to. Jinki wasn't sure anymore.

“Aren't you going to talk with her?”

Taemin shook his head, splashing Jinki’s face with the water on his hair, and combed it with his fingers. “I spoke with her on the phone yesterday. She insisted to come by and help mom with the preparations.”

“So?”

“So, the last time we were together she mentioned that mom said that after your initiation I could do mine and mark her.”

“And you don't want to mark her?”

“I'm not sure anymore.” Taemin confessed. “I'm not sure if I'm the right guy for her. She is...amazing.”

“She truly is one of a kind. Everyone is jealous of you.”

“That's the problem. She is too perfect. Sometimes I feel like I’m somehow corrupting her.”

Jinki laughed “What do you mean?”

“I want to have with her.”

“Oh, you two didn't?”

“No.” Taemin blushed hiding his face on his arms “Not yet.”

“But then all this time...”

“No!” Taemin shook his head “We didn't fully do it. Don't you dare to tell this to anyone!”

Jinki laughed covering his mouth and Taemin puffed his cheeks looking away embarrassed.

“I know that if I mark her we will get to do it but...I want to do it for the right reasons not because of a ritual.”

“Well she loves you, I'm sure she will do it because she loves you.”

“I know but I want to do it before marking her.” Taemin laid his head on his arms and sulked.

“Did you two talk about it?”

“No, but last time we made out and I was a little more demanding.”

“Oh boy!” Jinki wished he could help Taemin more but it wasn't as if he had much relationship experience “How did she react?”

“She didn't stop me, she seemed to enjoy it but then she mentioned the marking and I froze. I think she wants to do it after it. As if it would change anything.”

“It is a pact for life, way more important than a wedding. Maybe she feels insecure.”

“Insecure? I'm dating her for years.”

“Exactly and you were the one who said that you felt as if this relationship was striping you of your freedom. Taemin, this woman knows you better than anyone. Don't you think that she noticed a change in your behavior? She probably thinks you are falling out of love with her and you know her family. She is like a princess, I'm sure her parents would be extremely upset if they found out that you took her ity and you don't want to take responsibility for it. Things changed a lot. We no longer go around mating with everyone. Maybe she is just scared.”

Taemin bit his lower lip. He didn't think about that. Lately, it seemed as if he only thought about himself, about what he wanted to do with his future and he didn't think about what it all meant to her. “Damn I truly don't deserve her.”

Jinki chuckled. “Talk with her. Open your heart, maybe together you can find a solution.”

“I truly love her Jinki.”

“I know you do.” He patted his brother’s head. “You are just a guy, a frustrated one.”

Taemin stared at Jinki that laughed taking his hand away “God, you have no idea how much I understand you.”

“You lost your ity already.” Taemin mumbled.

“Yes but I only managed to have oral with Hyejin and everytime I’m next to her I barely can control myself.”

“Seo Ah is so sensual.” Taemin confessed it was good to have someone to talk about it “We tried some things and even though she acts innocent she is…” Taemin couldn't say it, his cheeks becoming red and Jinki laughed.

“I see... “ Jinki laid his head over his arms too and they stayed like that sighing, thinking about the two special ladies in their lives.

“My two beloved friends!” Jae-hui stopped in front of the two brothers blocking their view of the sky. “You had the best of the ideas! Let me join you!”

Taemin groaned not even hiding his annoyance but Jae-hui pulled his sweater up throwing it on the floor before he jumped on the water splashing the others.

Jinki pouted watching their “friend” come to the surface spouting water with his mouth as if he was a character of an animated movie.

Jae-hui was an idiot, the part of the clan Jinki didn't like. He spent his life tricking humans and spending the money of his parents, acting as if he was indeed a god. Unfortunately for the brothers, he was a presence in their life growing up and the grandson of one of the oldest members of the clan.

“I wish he had stayed in Japan.” Jinki mumbled. Jae-hui went to study in Japan for a year but eventually had to come back because he did everything but study there.

“I wish he was never born.” Taemin remarked and Jinki chuckled.

“Ouch!”

“He was hitting on Hyejin before.”

Jinki’s smiled faltered and Taemin explained: “He saw her come out from our house, asked her if she was marked, but I was there and spooked him away.”

“I'll mark his neck.” Jinki frowned eyeing the other man. It was Taemin’s time to laugh.

“Sooooo….” Jae-Hui squeezed himself in the middle of the two brothers and threw an arm over both of their shoulders. Jinki looked away. He often tolerated Jae-hui because he was just an idiot, a result of the old mentality of his clan. He was simply a simpleton, however after knowing of his meeting with Hyejin he felt like punching him. “How are my dog lovers?”

“Can you stop calling us that? It's been years.”

Ever since Jinki and Taemin begged their parents to have a dog Jae-hui started to call them that. It was very unlikely for Tigers to have pets and worse if it’s a dog, a cousin of the Wolf clan.

“I still don't get it.”

Jinki scoffed playing with the water. It's not surprising that someone as dumb as him would understand anything.

“We liked animals. We were curious.” Taemin repeated for the 100th time, tired of that story.

“Dogs are food.” Jae-hui said his lips.

None of the brothers answered and Jae-hui let his arms fall in the water releasing both of them that took the opportunity to move away from him.

“By the way. The Shaman hired new staff.” Jinki’s head perked up and he turned to Jae-hui his gaze crossing with Taemin’s. “I saw the girl. She is pretty and tasty.”

Jinki closed his hands into fists under the water and tried to ignore the change in subject.

“I don't like the old fart always arguing with my old man at the clan meetings.”

Jae-hui’s grandfather, Chang Kyou-Chul was known as snake inside the clan and the Shaman seemed to not like him and his grandson as much as they didn't like him.

“But even though the old fart is a pain in the I think I’ll visit him.” he laughed “Just to be able to see that pretty assistant he has.”

“You shouldn't!” Jinki said immediately.

“Why?”

“Just don't and get out.”

Taemin gasped amused with the scene. He rarely saw Jinki argue with Jae-hui and seeing the later being contradicted gave him much pleasure.

“Hey, Jinki you aren't the clan chief yet. You can't give me orders.” Jae-hui laughed taking the whole situation as a joke but Jinki’s stern expression started to make him nervous. Jinki was usually gentle and always put up with his jokes but this time he looked scary. “Chill. I was joking. I know we are friend with humans now and whatever. You are not even the chief yet.”

“I will be.” Jinki raised his body out of the water and grabbed a towel from over one of the chairs using it to dry himself up while he walked back to the house.

Taemin followed him, proudly looking at Jinki ignoring Jae-hui’s calls for them to not leave him alone.

“Wow, that was great.” Taemin nuzzled Jinki’s arm with his elbow.

“Sometimes I'm glad he isn't a human. “Jinki declared “I might break my decision and make a feast from him.”

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Minho followed Jinki’s suggestion and decided to recreate the night when he met Yeou. He lit the candle and sat on the same table with the same book - that he was still reading - in front of him. He watched the shadows created by the candle dancing over the walls and the bookcases but no one showed up. To pass the time Minho worked on his research marking several pages of the book with cute sticky bookmarks with frogs. Eventually, he started to get sleepy and let tiredness win over him. After all, she came out only when he was sleeping. If his plan worked he would wake up to see a beautiful young lady in front of him. Minho fell asleep with a smile.

A small noise woke him up and Minho raised his head from over the book noticing that the candle was put out. It was early morning and half of the library was illuminated with the weak light coming from outside. The other half was still in darkness and that's where Minho saw her.

“You came.”

“Yes, and you lit another candle.” She shook her head and he could detect in her voice that she thought that he was a fool.

“I did it to summon you.”

“Why?” she didn't question his choice of words and the weird behavior and walked closer to him, closer to the line of light that has defeated the darkness.

“I wanted to see you.”

“Why?”

“I don't know.” He was honest “I am just curious about you.” And that curiosity only grew more after Jinki told him about her lineage.

“Did you ask others about me?” Her tone was suspicious and she seemed a little uncomfortable.

“A little.”

Her chuckle seemed to lighten the mood inside the room and yet he had the feeling it wasn't sincere. Minho wished she stepped into the light so that he could see her expression well. The idea of lighting the candle again and using it to see her crossed his mind but he didn't do it because as if she was answering to his desire she walked into the light, pulled the chair in front of his and sat watching him. Minho watched her carefully. She wasn't as pale as he remembered her, her skin was like porcelain though and he couldn't find a small imperfection on it. Her black dress was replaced with a long black skirt and a dark blue blouse which made her look real and older. She did seem tired though and maybe nervous since she was fluttering her fingers. He fought the whim to grab her hands or touch her cheek.

“My name is Choi Minho.” She knew it already so didn't even flinch “I work at a Palace. I’m the director. I’m in charge of all the tourism, educational and cultural activities promoted there. I love history and I got this chance to come here and study more about your clan.”

“I don't belong to this clan.”

“Because you are half-blood, right?” He didn't care about her blood though. Ever since he saw her she was way more interesting than any of the purebloods he met there.

“No. Because I have the blood the Earth Gods hate the most.”

“Human blood?”

“No.” She laughed placing her hands on her lap and looking at them. “You are researching but in the end you don't know anything.”

Minho tilted his head wondering if she was upset with him or was only trying to be rude. “Help me understand then.”

She bit her lower lip and his eyes fell on her lips. They were still chapped and he had the feeling she didn't care much about her looks. Even so, she looked beautiful.

“Why do you care?” She raised her head looking at him with a defying expression.

“You make too many questions.” Minho answered back and smiled because he knew she would bicker with him and the thought pleased him.

“You too!” She flared up and he chuckled.

That side of her reminded him of Hyejin, the side she tried to hide and he truly liked in her. She was like Hyejin, acting strong and yet hurting and aching for love inside.

“I want to know more about you.” Minho confessed, moving his hand on the table in her direction not because he wanted to hold hers but as a peace offer, a sign that he trusted that she wouldn't bite him even though she always seemed to put her fangs out when he was close by.

“I told you. I am not a Tiger.”

“I don't mean that. I mean you.”

She frowned reading his expression trying to see if he was being honest. Minho’s gaze didn't falter under her inspection and she chewed her lower lip and stared at the candle instead as if she wanted to light it with her gaze.

“My mother was a pure tiger from one of the best families.” Minho knew already that she was the daughter of the Shaman. “Actually she is a relative of the chief’s clan family.”

“Lee Jinki’s?”

“Yes. My grandfather didn't tell you that my grandmother belonged to their family?” Minho shook his head and she seemed to relax while telling her story “So he is a distant relative of mine. Of course, they pretend they aren't. My mother did something unthinkable, she dared to fall in love with a human. The worst of them all. She ended up betraying her kind.”

“This story doesn't have a happy ending, right?” Minho asked eyeing her sadly.

“My father's family killed her. They were…” She took a deep breath and Minho’s phone rang disrupting the moment of tension.

“Ahh damn. Just one second.” It was from the Palace and he had to take it. Minho sighed wondering what was so wrong that they were calling him so early in the morning and when he took some days off. He turned around to answer the call.

Apparently, a group of rebellious teenagers had entered the Palace during the night and managed to ruin part of one of the gardens, not to mention that they messed up with the electric system of the Palace. The police were called, the teens caught and they wouldn't be able to open it on time for visits. His assistant was in the middle of a breakdown and under those circumstances, he had to go back immediately and probably take Mr.Kim the gardener back with him. He already asked him the previous day if he could drive him home and now with so much work to be done, he surely had to.

“I’m sorry…” When Minho turned back the chair was empty and there was no sign of Yeou. She ran away again and he let his arms fall by his side. He forgot to ask her name again.

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Jinki woke up with an urgent knocking at his door. One of the servants told him that his father demanded his presence in the living room. So he quickly got dressed, washed his face and joined him and his mother, still combing his hair with his fingers.

His mother’s troubled expression and his father’s walking around the living room from one side to the other were a bad sign.

Jinki didn't have time to ask what was wrong because his father noticing his presence turned to him and pointed an accusatory finger at him “You lied to us.”

“I did?” What lie did he tell them? Hyejin’s true identity crossed his mind, the several times he met with her and they kissed, her sweet and crazy intentions to find a way for them to be together, any of that could be the lie.

“The human you saved. The one that made you risk your life and got you injured. The one living at the Shaman’s house.”

Jinki swallowed hard. He had no idea how much they knew about her and why they were so upset. Jinki was doing what they asked of him. He was going to do the ritual and was even going to mark a woman of the clan even though it wasn't entirely necessary for him to do just yet. Also, his father knew he had relationships with humans before.

“At the greeting ceremony, you were there with her. You brought that wench into the Sacred House, you…mated with her.”

“I didn't.” He made sure he didn't, he controlled himself to the point it made him insane “And please don't call her that. She is a good person, she doesn't deserve it.” It was his fault that she got into that mess.

Mr. Lee sat on the couch, his skin pale and Jinki’s mother sat beside him pursing her lips caressing her husband's back trying to calm him down. Jinki couldn't see why was he that troubled over Hyejin’s existence.

“I’m sorry.” Jinki’s mother looked at him but the apology wasn't towards him “I knew who she was ever since she stepped into this house. I could taste her feelings when she looked at your childhood pictures.”

“Mom…” Jinki couldn't bear to give her pain too. It was enough to disappoint his father, he did it all his life but his mother…

“It doesn’t matter.” Mr.Lee said raising his head “Doesn't matter if she likes him or not. He can't have feelings for her, not now, not when he is going to assume his place as my descendant, as future chief.” His gaze moved to Jinki” You don't have feelings for that human right?”

Even though he was accused of lying a few minutes before, in reality, Jinki rarely did it and was bad at it.

“I never lied to you. I swear. I might have omitted things but I never lied. Please don't ask me to do it now.”

“!” His father cursed and covered his mouth moving on the couch uncomfortable.

“Jagya please don’t curse.”

“However…” Jinki said louder “I didn’t invite her here. She came of her own decision. I broke up with her and I will marry the woman that was decided by blood for me. I will do the ritual and marking as planned.” He swallowed hard, his eyes becoming wet. Now that he was saying it out loud like that to his parents he knew that all of the last moments he spent with Hyejin, all the hope she had for a happy ending for them was just part of a fairytale and not meant to be real. He knew what he had to do.

Jinki noticed his mother’s sad expression and looked away. That was his destiny since the beginning and thinking that he could somehow change it was childish.

“I will do it, as long as nothing happens to her.”

“Too late.” His father said “Someone must have seen you two together and got suspicious of what happened that night because words of you mating with a human, protecting her, bringing her here and thinking of marking her have spread.” Jinki’s heart fell at his feet “There will be a meeting tonight. The older members will decide if you are able to carry on as a possible chief clan. You should send that girl away before it's too late for her."

Now he knew why his father seemed devastated but still he had to ask “What does that mean?”

“It means that you have until then to think carefully about what you will say at this meeting tonight and how you will present yourself to them. If you want to be the man devoted to his clan and your blood or someone that cares about humans. If you fail, another family will take your place.”

His place. With his father giving up as a chief and if Jinki wasn't selected to follow him then another family would take his place.

Mr. Lee seemed tired more than sad and once again Jinki knew he was failing him. Ever since he turned as a kid, ever since everyone saw his fur it was a disappointment after disappointment and now his father could barely look at him. If it wasn't for Jinki there wouldn't be that problem. If he never came into the world and Taemin was the firstborn they would have never faced that problem.

“Our family has been for generations the one chosen to lead the Earth Tiger Gods. We were always pure of blood and your grandfather and my grandfather and the ones before them they always worked so hard to keep our reputation pure until…”

“Please don't …” Jinki’s mother begged and Jinki bit his lower lip because he didn't have to say it. He knew it, he always did and maybe that was why he tried to run away from there and try to fit in with humans instead of the ones of his kind. He failed. He only brought pain wherever he went.

“Until I was born.” Jinki finished “Until I ruined everything.”

Jinki’s father didn't say anything, instead, he got up and left the room which hurt Jinki even more as if he was giving up on Jinki entirely. Sometimes he wondered if he ever loved him.

“You know he doesn't mean it.” Jinki’s mother grabbed her son’s arm and cupped his face. Jinki looked at her, his eyes now filled with tears. “He loves you and he loves his family. He just doesn't know how to show it. He is under a lot of pressure every day. He is pressured by the other members and your grandfather was very stern to him. He was never able to just be himself and had to have an excellent reputation. That's why your father doesn't know how to deal with the changes in the clan, with something different…”

With Jinki being an anomaly.

“But he loves you, much more than tradition or the clan. I know it and he does. He just...doesn't know how to communicate with you.”

“It's fine mom.” Jinki grabbed her hands. “He is right and I need to get ready for tonight. I have something important to do. I must get ready.”

He had to protect Hyejin. At least his father advised him to do so and for that Jinki was thankful.

Jinki’s mother saw her son walk away following his father's' steps but she knew they wouldn't follow the same path. She sat on the couch releasing a cry of despair now freeing the sorrow she was feeling, crying alone.

“Mom?” Taemin entered the living room coming from outside “What happened?” He sat beside her trying to comfort her “I went to visit Seo Ah but she wasn't home and when I came back the maids were gossiping something about a meet tonight. Did something happen?”

His mother hiccuped and he hugged her against this chest, comforting her like he did so many times before every time his father had an argument with his older brother.

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin was changing for dinner when Jinki opened the door of her bedroom catching her only wearing her hanbok dress. He closed the door after him and Hyejin didn't bother to seem surprised. That afternoon the Shaman told her about the meeting and what was being said about Jinki. She knew he would come, she knew he would try once again to push her away.

“I’m sorry.” He didn't look away from her even though her shoulders and part of her upper body were uncovered but his ears were red. She put on the upper part of her hanbok and he waited patiently watching her.

“I heard about the meeting. It’s starting in a few hours right?” Jinki didn't answer “The old man didn't let me go to see you. He said it could be dangerous. I’ve been locked here all day. How are you feeling?” She was afraid to touch him, afraid he would reject it but still she had to so she grabbed his hand. He didn't make a gesture to hold it back so she released him. Instead, Jinki offered her a picture that Hyejin grabbed.

A smiling Jinki was on it, wearing a white coat, a stethoscope on his hand and a smiling kid by his side.

“You look really good. Cute and professional.” And extremely attractive and y but she left that information private. “And you didn't lie.”

“I’ve been called a liar a lot lately.”

His awkward remark made Hyejin bit her lower lip. They both knew what he was doing there and why he brought her that picture. He wanted her to keep it and leave.

“You came to say goodbye, again! It's like what…the third time?” She laughed bitterly.

“Yes, but this time I can’t say that I won't cross your path again, that I can cut you out of my life completely. I...I thought a lot and I need to do this. Tonight it has to go well. My family is in the line. It's not about me…” It was about his father and she knew. “Tonight I can totally crush my father’s heart or I can make him proud. Either way, I can't be with you, chief or not.”

Her eyes narrowed and her arm hung at her side holding the picture.

“Even if I don't get chosen to be the next clan chief I'll still have responsibilities. Of course, I can go back to being a doctor but I'll still be me and a clan member. I can't have a relationship with you. However, I can't let go of you either.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” She asked her voice lacking energy as if she was numb to everything.

“I want you to live your life. Go back home, date, marry, have a normal life. I’ll visit you from time to time.”

Hyejin snickered but Jinki acted as if she didn't explain to her his plan for her life “Minho will be coming as soon as he can to pick you up. I called him.”

“Again asking Minho to come and pull me away? I’m so tired of this.”

“I'm begging you. Go with him.”

“I'm not going to date him.”

“I know. That's not why I asked him. He is my friend, the only one I can trust when it comes to protecting you.”

“And what happens later? When I actually get married to someone? Will you come to visit me? Will you kiss me? Or maybe have with me? Is it an affair? Will I be your human mistress?”

“No.” he was hurt that he thought that he would do that to her. “No, you will be my friend.” His voice failed him as if he was in pain and Hyejin's heart melted. If her heart was broken, his was completely shattered. He needed her and that was the only way he could get back to her, to lay his head on her lap and feel loved and protected like he did the previous afternoon, accepted despite the color of his fur, despite his blood and monstrosity. He only wanted to see her and feel like that again. Maybe it was still selfish of him but the possibility of never feeling that again, of not seeing her ever hurt him too much.

“I only ask you that. I can't cut it Hyejin. I can't cut what we have but I can't let it grow also. It’s just…”

“A dead tree.”

He parted his lips breathless because it was the perfect way to describe it, what could have been. It could have grown like the beautiful tree at the palace that she called her favorite. Instead it wasn't allowed to grow, instead, it was dying.

“Yes.”

“Great!” She turned around and grabbed her bag and started doing a pile with her things over her bed. “Guess it’s time to pack.”

“I'm truly sorry.” He added eyeing her devastated. He couldn't put down in words how that was ruining him inside.

“That's all you can say.”

That stabbed him where it hurt and Jinki’s arms fall on his sides. “I only want to make things right, to correct what I've ruined.”

Hyejin stopped what she was doing and turned to him. That wasn't the man she met at the palace, the one that pestered and ran after her telling her that he loved her, nor the smiling sweet and romantic man that stole her heart. Jinki seemed to be withering like the tree that represented the future of their love and Hyejin couldn't bear to see him like that. If he made a decision that afternoon, she also made hers before he came to her. In stories, the prince always comes to rescue the princess but this time around she would do the opposite if she could.

“I only want him to be proud of me. I want him to accept me.” He only wanted his father to love him and Hyejin whimpered unable to act mad with him again. She hugged him pulling his head against her chest and caressed his back and head just like she did when he was in tiger form. Jinki hugged her back tightening the hug and closed his eyes.

“If he can't see how amazing you are then he is an idiot.” He barely moved but she knew he was listening to her words “I am very proud of you even though you are ripping my heart apart.” She pulled his head up so that she could face him and Jinki looked at her with pure wet eyes as if he was a lost little kid that she just rescued “This won't end like this Lee Jinki. I'm not giving up this easily. I’m going with Minho only because I think it is the right decision at the moment but don't think for one second that it is over.”

His lips twitched into a weak smile and he caressed her cheek, lost in her gaze even though his eyes seemed lifeless. She kissed him softly but printing all her love into it hoping to see them turn blue, hoping to give them some life but they were as dull as before she kissed him which made her heart sunk into her stomach. Something inside Jinki was truly broken and the Shaman told her that love was indeed the strongest thing in the world. She would save their tree from withering, she would save him.

Hyejin hugged him again with all her strength and he let his head fall on her shoulder, hugging her back, enjoying those last moments with her before his world fell apart.

“I won't let them break you.” She whispered caressing his hair “I’ll fill you…” That emptiness he felt inside him. The right words just came out from even though they weren't planned “I love you.”

He flinched in her arms and she closed her eyes hiding her face on his neck. It was the first time she said it to him after several failed tries. She didn't imagine saying it to him at a moment like that, not when he was suffering like that, torn between his head and heart.

He caressed her back and kissed her cheek, his hot breath on her ear made her shiver of pleasure. “I love you too.”

It all came out, her love for him was flooding from inside her and she wanted it to fill him, so Hyejin pulled away surprising Jinki that looked at her certainly overwhelmed with the taste of her feelings, with the sound of her racing heartbeat.

Her nose bumped against his when she tried to kiss him and he smiled which made her smile too, both forgetting about the dire situation over their heads, the heart winning over everything and Jinki tilted his head meeting her halfway in another kiss, that this time made sparkles fly inside their hearts. She held onto him signing her decision to not let him get away and even though Jinki couldn't read her mind she was sure he had a feeling that that wouldn't be their last kiss. She would make sure it wouldn't. They pulled away and he brushed his lips against hers again as if he didn't dare to let go of their warmth, his eyes now full of light and they weren't even blue with energy. Hyejin blushed deeply realizing that she just said I love you for the first time in her life and hide her face in his neck again. He hugged her against him as if he would never release her and she allowed herself to be happy even if it was only for a short time.

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Minho finished the call he received from the police and sighed relieved that that day was near ending and every problem was solved. Earlier Jinki called him and asked him to pick up Hyejin explaining him a little of what happened and Minho collected his things and grabbed his coat getting ready to leave when his secretary entered his office again. He sighed fearing that she would give him more bad news and make him stay longer to solve them but instead she told him that he had a visit.

“Who is it?”

“He is a famous singer.” His secretary informed him.

Minho didn't have time to give a famous singer or whoever that was a proper visit to the palace. Still, the man entered his office making him hold his breath. He was shorter than him and his hair was blonde almost white. The man had a black leather jacket over a white t-shirt and black jeans. He took off his sunglasses - used to hide his identity since the sun was already setting down and Minho blinked his eyes noticing that he had one eye blue and the other dark.

“I’m sorry for coming like this.” The singer looked at Minho’s secretary that quickly dismissed herself and left them alone. “My name is Kim Jonghyun.” He raised his hand and Minho shook it politely.

“Please have a seat.”

They both sat in front of each other and Minho truly felt like he was in front of a star. It wasn't as if Kim Jonghyun was intimidating, on contrary he seemed genuinely gentle and nice and had a very beautiful and pleasant smile. His overflowing charisma was what surprised Minho, and how he seemed someone that he would truly like to know better.

“What brings you here Mr. Kim Jonghyun?”

“I lead a very stressful life.” Jonghyun said “I travel a lot and I am often busy. Lately, I started coming here to relax. It might seem crazy since the palace is always filled with tourists and students but the truth is that I like to spend my free time in the gardens writing songs and making them, you know?”

Minho nodded trying to understand what he meant. Indeed those gardens were extremely beautiful and inspiring but he had no idea where that conversation would lead.

“In one of my visits, I saw this beautiful lady, more mesmerizing than a Joseon princess, one of the guides and I was transfixed because she reminded me of someone I met when I was a kid, someone I cherish very much.”

“Oh, really?” The singer fell in love with one of the palace’s employees. Great! Soon they would have dispatch reporters hiding behind the bushes taking pictures of them.

“To my surprise after a few days, this lady disappeared from the palace. I thought she resigned but apparently, she took some days off from work instead.”

Hyejin! Minho swallowed hard and smiled to himself. She managed to make another man fall for her and she didn't even have to do anything besides breathing. However, Minho’s smile died as soon as he remembered the singer previous words. He knew her from his childhood?!

“Her name is Hyejin. I’m sure you know who she is.” Now Kim Jonghyun’s smile didn't seem as charming as before and Minho tried to keep a blank face. Jinki had many enemies just for being who he was and they had to be careful from now on, now that his clan seemed to know about her existence. Jinki told him on the phone to protect her and be suspicious of anything different that happened around her. That was different. He could be truly a singer but that didn't mean he should trust him.

“I know her yes. She is on vacation, will be back soon.”

“Perhaps you could give me her phone number so that I could contact her.”

Minho his lips “I can't give away the contact information of my staff without their permission. I'm very sorry but I hope you can understand.”

“Of course.” Jonghyun smiled but he seemed disappointed with Minho’s negative answer. “I'm just eager to contact with her again. I miss her.”

Minho didn't say anything eyeing Jonghyun carefully trying to read his eyes.

The singer stood up and placed his sunglasses on once again “If you see her.” Minho got the feeling that he knew that he would for sure and that made him chilly “Can you please tell her that I no longer bite people? And that thanks to her I grew up well?” Jonghyun chuckled “I’ll come back for her again.”

The weird choice of words and the message he left only made Minho even more suspicious of that man. He had to go back, pick up Hyejin and find a way to talk with Jinki. He had to know about that.

 

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin sat outside by the front door over one of the steps of the stairs that lead to the front garden and supported her head on her hands over her knees. Minho would be there soon and she already “packed” all her things to leave the Shaman’s house. She didn't tell him anything yet or went to say goodbye because deep down she didn't want to leave and still hoped to come back. Also because he would come up with his fantasies about her still having a chance with Jinki. She didn't want to feel tempted to stay again and maybe ruin his life even more. For now, it was better to just retreat. Yet It worried her that while she was away he would mark another woman and marry her. Hyejin groaned and let her head fall between her knees. Now that she wasn't wearing the hanbook anymore and was back to her dress it felt weird. It was as if she wasn't the same person anymore, as if her ordinary life didn't belong to her anymore.

She blinked her eyes admiring the small pebbles that decorated the sides of the flowerbed on her left and then she saw it, the blue flower that started it all. The myosotis sprout wasn't alone anymore and now several others grew beside it. Hyejin rubbed her neck wondering if the few days she stayed there were enough for many to appear and she had a weird feeling about the flowers again. If it wasn't for it she wouldn't have cut her finger, the Shaman wouldn't have tested her blood and come up with that crazy theory that Hyejin and Jinki were destined for each other. She still didn't comprehend what he saw in her blood.

Hyejin wrinkled her nose staring at the blue flowers for a long time and she realized that once again she felt compelled to approach them. “Oh no no way!” She shook her head and looked away. She wouldn't fall a second time. Maybe it was better if she waited outside the gate of the house but she feared someone would see her and she was advised to not go out alone because of the members of the clan. Hyejin’s gaze moved to the flowers again and she made a decision. It was only a stupid plant and she wouldn't let it scare her. She crouched beside the plant and narrowed her eyes.

“I’m here because I want to. You have no power over me you piece of chlorophyll! I don't care if you are enchanted or some kind of god plant. To me, you are just a fragile plant I could kill if I want to.” She raised a finger and pointed at it “Don't you dare to do anything! I'll truly start picking up every flower until you are just a bunch of sad leaves!”

She actually waited for an answer from the other side and then felt ridiculous. “Hyejin! Are you really now talking with plants too?! Am I becoming insane?!”

Hyejin bit her lower lip and tilted her head. She was so tempted to touch the flower from before. She was taller than the others and seemed to be looking at her, her blue almost purple petals seeming extremely soft as silk, the yellow and black in the middle reminded her of an eye. She raised her hand and hesitated.

“Will you cut me again if I try to touch you? Like sleeping beauty? Will, you cut me and send me into eternal sleep?” Hyejin chuckled but a part of her believed that something like that could actually happen “You know didn't you? Everything? About me and Jinki and our future.” Somehow she felt as if that tiny flower knew it. “How many of you are here in this garden? How did you even end up here? How do you know things when you don't even move?”

It made no sense and Hyejin sighed looking at the stars above. Lately, her life was a giant list of crazy impossible situations and yet she never felt as alive as she did ever since it all started, ever since Jinki’s path crossed hers. Sometimes she wondered if it was all a dream and she would wake up the next morning and she would be just the old Hyejin.

Maybe that's why she had to touch it, she had to be sure it was real. Nothing happened and Hyejin sighed running her finger over the soft petals of the flower. If she wasn't gentle she would rip it apart. How could she even be scared of something so tiny and defenseless?

She couldn't point out when it started but slowly she began to feel odd. She couldn't understand what it was but something inside her changed as if suddenly all her worries collapsed on top of her heart, Hyejin took a deep breath but it was late and her eyes filled with tears, despair taking over her. She moved the hand away from the flower but nothing changed and she panicked. Whatever that plant did to her was still inside her turning every corner of her mind into a dark place. Hyejin closed her eyes trying to fight the despair in her chest but that was even worse because the floor under her seemed to disappear and when she opened them again she was no longer inside the Shaman’s garden, instead she was eyeing a sky filled with stars, laying on top of her mother's lap beside an open window.

Her mother was humming a song to her, braiding her hair into tiny perfect braids as Hyejin liked. Her father used to say that she looked like an octopus when she asked mommy for that hairdo but she didn't care. Hyejin’s curious eyes moved from the stars to the vase under the window. Beautiful myosotis greeted her and she smiled feeling extremely happy.

“Do you know that these flowers are called forget me not?” her mother asked softly and the adult Hyejin inside her had a bad feeling. She wanted to turn and look at her mother but she couldn't control her body from the past. “Whenever we are apart you can simply look at the flowers and know I never forget you my darling.” her mother’s fingers moved on the locks of her hair “Or you can look at the moon. There I will be, watching over you always.”

Little Hyejin giggled and was going to turn around and hug her mother but once again the floor moved and Hyejin saw herself stuck inside a body frozen with terror. Blood was sliding over the floor in the direction of her feet and she wasn't able to move. A growl made her shiver and Hyejin faced her worst fears, the big dog from her nightmares faced her, opening his mouth, showing her its red teeth.

Hyejin tried to scream but once again it all changed and this time when she opened her eyes Jinki was in front of her. He was half , only wearing pants and he raised his arm to his lips, his gaze not moving from hers. She held her breath and would have screamed if she could when he bit his own wrist and raised his arm, blood dripping from the wound and over his arm and falling to the ground at her feet. Hyejin closed her eyes again wanting desperately to leave that nightmare but when she opened them she was still stuck. This time a small pond was in front of her. A wall surrounded it, keeping everyone away from it giving it privacy and several mugunghwa plants were planted around it, its petals swaying on the top of the hot water. She was and slowly climbed down the stairs that lead to that artificial pond. This time she wasn't scared and her body was relaxed, she was even happy?! That Hyejin chuckled and entered the water, letting it soak her completely up to her neck.

That happiness didn't last long though because once again she wasn't there anymore and this time she was laying on a bed and pain filled her whole body. It was as if something was ripping her apart from inside and she cried and cried begging for it to stop until it did and light filled the room and she lied on her side. She felt tired and her eyes focused on her hand over the bed in front of her. Hyejin felt warm almost at peace and yet so tired. She blinked her eyes when something soft touched her hand and she smiled letting all her body relax until she closed her eyes again.

When she opened them she was in the middle of the ground of the Shaman's garden, sitting over one of his plants the damn myosotis in front of her as if nothing happened.

“What? …” she touched her cheeks that were wet with tears as if she was crying the whole time and tried to stand up but her knees failed her because she was trembling very much.

What did just happen? She couldn't understand what was that. Did the flower try to show her something? Was that real, things that happened or would happen? Hyejin cried hugging herself and that's how the Shaman found her.

“I saw her scream and cry and she had her eyes open but didn't seem to hear or see me.” One of the maids explained to the Shaman seeming extremely worried, both running to where Hyejin was.

“Hyejin? Can you hear me?” The old man inquired gently caressing her hair and taking some leaves from over it.

“At one time she laid on the floor as if she had a seizure.” the maid added.

“She will be alright. Can you pick up some water for her and one of the bottles I have on my desk at the office please?”

“Sure.” the maid ran inside again and slowly and with the Shaman’s help, Hyejin managed to sit over the step of the stairs again.

“It's over Hyejin. You will be alright.”

“I…” She pointed at the flower swallowing hard. Somehow it was its fault.

“What did it show to you?” The old man asked looking extremely curious and Hyejin cried covering her eyes, her skin feeling cold to her touch and she couldn't stop shivering. What did it matter what it showed other? She was terrified.

“I don't know. I'm confused.” There were so many things happening. One thing she was sure was that she was inside her body all those times and she couldn't control it, only see and feel what she did in that situation. Was it the past? Future? She couldn't tell if it was even real situations. “Can it show it to you?” She asked the Shaman “thing that happened to me?”

“Yes. Things that happened, things from your present and future. It can show you all it wants.”

“Then that…” The image of the big dog-wolf and all that blood was real then as much as Jinki hurting himself was. Also that pain in the last vision... “It can't be.”

“Tell me.”

“Is it a warning?” Maybe she could avoid those things from happening.

“No, more like pieces of your destiny, or an answer to a question.” The man looked at the flower but Hyejin didn't dare to “Did you ask it for help?”

Did she? She wasn't sure. Maybe she did, maybe deep down she did.

Hyejin cleaned her wet eyes and took the bottle of medicine the maid gave her and the cup of water.

“Can you leave us alone please?” The old man asked and as soon as they were once again by themselves and after she drank from the bottle of medicine - it had a sweet taste - she started to feel better enough to tell him.

“I saw my mother but it was weird because it didn't feel like her. She told me about the myosotis being called forget me not. It gave me the impression that it was the same plant. Can't be right?”

“I doubt your human mother has one like this.”

“Exactly.”

“Very well what more do you remember?”

“I saw so many things. I saw scenes from my nightmares and then I saw Jinki biting himself and his blood…” She drank more from the bottle and the Shaman grabbed her arm stopping her.

“Tell me more about that. Did he bit his wrist?”

“Yes.”

“Where was he?”

“I don't know. I can't remember. He was shirtless.” She blushed remembering how her eyes moved over the muscles of his chest with a possessiveness as if he belonged to her.

“Who drunk that blood?” The old man’s question made Hyejin frown in disgust.

“No one, don't know. After that, I was taking a bath inside an artificial pond or pool.”

“Oh really?” the old man clapped his hands as if he just receive the best news ever but Hyejin didn't stop speaking. She wanted to reach the end fast.

“Then I was hurt in a bed and I cried and cried. It was as if I was being ripped apart and then a light came and I was so tired but I felt at peace and nothing after that. I think I died.”

Her worries didn't seem to reach the old man that was looking at her with a smile as if the thought of her death meant nothing to him.

“Did you hear what I said? I was dying!”

“Tell me more about the pond Hyejin.”

“Who cares about a pond when I saw my own death!”

The man chuckled and she felt tremendously offended. He probably could read on her face that she was going to explode soon so he told her to drink the rest of the medicine and the water after.

“Listen to me Hyejin and calm down. What did you see in that memory that made you think you were dying?”

“The whole room was filled with so much light I couldn't see anything and I was tired and at peace.”

“You didn't see your death.” he said grabbing one tissue from his pocket and cleaning her sweaty forehead.

“How can you be so sure?”

“I know.”

“Then what did I see?”

“Well, only the future will tell you, right? Now tell me more about that pond and I might be able to tell you what it means and what we should do next.”

“I don't know. I was and the water was warm and had petals of the national flower floating around.”

The old man raised his hands to the sky as if he was sending the gods a prayer and laughed out loud. Hyejin watched him incredulous and scratched her head.

“I knew it! I knew it!” The old man celebrated alone until Minho opened the gate and entered the garden interrupting his monologue.

“What happened?” He widened his eyes when she saw Hyejin's dirty clothes, her elbow bleeding and she was still shivering

“Did someone hurt you?”

“No no. I'm fine. I'll explain it to you on our ride back home.”

“WHAT?” The old man froze and immediately stood up as if he wanted to block her way out. “You can't leave now.”

“Why?”

“Because you are going to be my special guest in the meeting today. The time has come Hyejin, to reveal our plan to everyone.”

“Are you insane?” She asked rudely “They will kill me.” Maybe that vision was truly her dying after being attacked by a pack of hungry tigers.

“They can't. They can't kill the possible future wife of their next chief clan!”

Hyejin scoffed and she placed her hand on her waist. “Are you sure you are on your right mind? What are you talking about?”

“Maybe you didn't pay attention to the steps of the ritual Jinki will do but Minho can tell you.” The shaman turned to Minho that seemed confused with that conversation“Tell her what happens after a woman is marked in the initiation ritual.”

“After the initiation ritual, if a tiger decided to mark a woman officially to marry her, he can. They share their blood and then that night they will mate.”

Hyejin blushed as much as she would if Minho has said the word . What was wrong with everyone around her talking about something like that as if it was nothing?

“And the morning after?” the old man asked nodding his head as if he was Minho’s proud professor.

“They both bathe in a sacred pond filled with petals of mugunghwa symbolizing their immortality and giving them a blessing of long life for them, their union and the cubs they will have together.”

“Very good Minho.”

Minho proudly grinned but Hyejin didn't say anything eyeing him with red cheeks. She even sat back as if she was dizzy.

“What's wrong?”

Did she truly saw herself after mating with Jinki? Did he mark her or...Was really Jinki that marked her though? She never truly saw him. Hyejin chewed the inside of her cheek but saved that troublesome thought to herself.

“Hyejin saw that, after having a vision thanks to one of my magical flowers.” She heard Minho and the Shaman talking about it and suddenly Minho crouched in front of her and smiled gently at her.

“You are going to be with him.”

“Is it truly him thought? Can anyone else bathe in that pond or whatever it is?"

“Only the clan family does.” Minho caressed her hands and she felt more reassured. “Everything is going to be alright.”

“We need to hurry.” The old man interrupted them “You need to get dressed, cover that wound and come with me. The meeting is probably starting already.”

She looked at him mortified stuck between the images of all the blood and pain she saw and the intricate labyrinth of memories of her past. Was it true that her destiny was to be with Jinki? Why were those images filled with so much pain then? Jinki said marking a human wasn't a good idea and eventually, humans would die. He called it a parasite relationship. And could she fully trust what that flower showed her? Maybe she was only being manipulated into following the gods' desires and not her destiny.

“Hyejin?” Minho stood up and offered to help her. “We need to go to Jinki.”

Jinki, the way she saw him biting his wrist. Was he going to offer her his blood? Minho mentioned a pact of blood. Her chest hurt remembering how she felt in that small vision. The way she looked at him as if he was already part of her.

She had to go to him. Even a few hours ago she was in his arms and she told him she loved him and promised herself she would do everything for that not to be the end. That happiness somehow matched the one she felt at the end of her vision, the relaxed pleasing feeling on her body when she bathed herself in that pond that might be part of her future. She was different in that future, something inside changed and it wasn't bad.

Slowly Hyejin stood up. Jinki was waiting.

 

 

14t81v9.jpg

 

So exciting! We are reaching the end of first part of this fic and the moment you all are waiting for is almost here. XD Besides Jonghyun finally enters the fic and soon Kibum will come too. A few small steps for his appearance and back story were already made. Thank you for reading my fic. Please share your thoughts and theories about this chapter with me. ^~