Chapter XII -Two is Purrfect

Treat for Two

= Chapter XII =

Two is Purrfect

 

And I know you've felt so alone before
But I'm here to take you as you are, yeah
Darling take my hand
Won't you understand my love?
Baby let me in

 

 

Minho guided Hyejin down the road and she raised her wet eyes from the floor to Minho’s car parked in front of the Shaman’s house.

Minho squeezed her shoulder and she took a deep breath. After Jinki left she cried a lot and Minho hugged her and was extremely patient waiting for her to calm down.

They left the back of the restaurant and even though both knew that Jinki was inside - maybe he even could taste her sadness - they left without trying to contact him again.

“I’m sorry that it didn’t work out.” He said after a while when they were almost at his car.

“It’s not your fault.” She rubbed her eyes and stopped beside the passenger's door waiting, her reflection on the window greeted her and Hyejin cringed. Her nose was red as much as her eyes and she looked awful. “I only want to go home.”

She didn't know what she would do next but it probably involved more crying and trying to forget a certain Tiger Human fellow.

“I’m going to call Mr. Kim and you can wait inside the car if you want.”

“Yes, thank you.” the last thing she wanted was to see the old Shaman. He might make some remark and upset her further.

“Wait.” As if he was watching the old man came out of the house and approached them. He was still wearing his llama shirt and if she didn't know better she would think he was harmless. “Stay.” He asked. “Please stay at least one more night at my place. I have many rooms.”

“Why?” She couldn't think of one single reason to stay there so close to Jinki and torture herself with it.

“For him.” The old man said, his eyes burning into hers “I need to talk to you about something and I also need more of your blood.”

“Blood?” Minho’s eyes lit up and he looked from the old man to Hyejin with an excited expression. It was clear that he would have accepted the old man’s invitation if she wasn’t so eager to go home. “Is she not human also?”

“No way! I am 100% human!” Hyejin frowned but somehow the crazy idea of belonging to Jinki’s world and being someone out of a fairytale like him attracted her.

“No. She is for sure human.”

Hyejin wasn’t sure who was more disappointed, Minho or her.

“It is however very peculiar and I need to study it. Please stay. You won't regret it and you can even help Jinki. He will need your help.”

Hyejin bit her lower lip “Why would someone like him need a human’s help?”

“We feed on emotions Miss Hyejin and only human ones are eligible so we do need their help, we depend on them.”

“So I’m going to be his dinner, is that it?” She scoffed, the thought was ridiculous. She did love him and would give him her blood and all of her if he needed but she wasn’t a piece of chicken, she was more than that.

“No. I have a feeling he will need you in the future and I am willing to explain it to you if you stay. I ask of you in the name of my clan to please stay and willing donate some blood for me to run more tests.”

“How many rooms do you have?” Minho asked making Hyejin scold him.

He pulled her away from the car and from the old man and whispered to her “Since we are here we could give him the benefit of the doubt. We can always leave tomorrow.”

Hyejin wasn’t convinced but Minho’s certainty was making her give in.

“If this helps him won't you want to do it? To try at least?”

She looked in the direction of the old shaman that was watching them calmly as if he didn't care what decision they would make, or maybe he knew from the start that she would give in. The thought annoyed her but she couldn't say no to the invitation to stay at his place and maybe help Jinki. Somewhere deep inside her heart, she knew that it was the right thing to do.

“Alright.”

“Shall we go inside then? You must be hungry and my cook is the best one in the neighborhood. She is amazing, you will love her kimchi soup.”

The man turned around and Minho joined him talking amicably with the old man as if he was his grandfather.

Hyejin followed them to the door. After a last look at the setting sun that was now coloring the sky red as if it was out of a storybook, she entered the old house.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Taemin knocked on the door but Jinki didn't answer so he entered his bedroom and sat on his bed waiting for the water of the shower to stop.

Soon a man came out from the bathroom. Jinki flinched slightly when he saw Taemin and wrapped the towel around his waist with no worries. When he was younger he and Taemin used to play all the time like two cubs and even after being grown-ups there was no embarrassment or shame showing their bodies to each other.

“So how was it?” Taemin asked.

Jinki ran a hand on his damp hair and opened the bottom drawer of his closet in search of underwear.

“It was...” It should be a big and good thing but every time he thought about his engagement dinner he couldn't remember the face of his soon to be wife. Hyejin’s crying face and the taste of her lips and sad emotions were the only thing in his mind. “I’m engaged. Getting married soon.”

“Yes, I know.”

Jinki pulled his boxers up his legs and threw the towel away. He then searched for a shirt to wear, one that was comfy because he would feel uncomfortable enough having dinner with his parents.

“You don't seem happy.” Taemin said “Are you happy?”

Jinki turned to him. Taemin was watching him with a mix of sadness and understanding. He knew Hyejin and how important she was to him. There was no way that he could trick him but he couldn't also show him how much he was suffering. That wouldn't be fair since it would only pain his brother. He had to be the example, the older brother that was able to sacrifice for the clan, for the family.

“Dad was so happy.” Jinki would never forget how he looked at him with pride. All those years and he never saw his father look at him like that. He was the best of his class in school, he always did his best to be gentle and polite to everyone, he became a pediatrician and yet the only time his father looked at him with pride was when he decided to get married to a woman from the clan. “I thought he would hug me.” Jinki chuckled. “That would be so rare. I don't remember the last time he did it.”

“Jinki.” Taemin didn't smile “Are you happy?”

He swallowed hard “You know the answer.”

Taemin bit his lower lip and Jinki sat beside him on the bed.

“She came to see me.”

“Does dad know?” The younger sibling asked.

“No. Hell no.” He wouldn't like it. “No one does. Only the Shaman. Do you think he had it planned?”

Jinki trusted the old man but sometimes people aren't always what they seem and have secret plans.

“He is smart and he seems like he knows more than he shows. He is a Shaman after all.”

Jinki stood up “I should go there right now.”

“No. It's late. Get dressed for dinner. You can go tomorrow.” Taemin laid himself back on the bed instead of getting up and Jinki knew there was more to his visit to him rather than only asking him how his day went.

“I guess that you are next.” Jinki said buttoning his jeans “After me, you will get married too.”

“I don't want to.” Taemin mumbled from the bed surprising Jinki.

“You don't want to?” He thought he was in love with the clan girl he was dating. He only met her a few times but she was completely in love with Taemin. She also seemed like a good girl, too innocent for their clan and maybe the reason Taemin liked her. She was different from the ones he mostly met.

“I do...I do.”

Jinki tilted his head and then laid beside Taemin in bed both facing the ceiling.

How come they were so different and yet so similar?!

“What is wrong Tae?”

“She keeps talking about Kitties.”

“So?” Jinki couldn't understand what that had to do with a wedding but then it dawned on him even before Taemin answered.

“She wants to be a mother. That’s her big dream, to marry and have babies, settle in and build a family. And I am not ready to be a father, I want to…”

He wanted to fly, to be free longer, see the world and Jinki smiled because he also felt like that. Maybe the way Jinki put it down in words when he left home after a fight with his father was different from the way Taemin was now saying it, but they were just the same. They wanted to learn more about what was around them to be able to find their path and maybe help their people.

“I've met her when I was fifteen and she was so beautiful that I knew right when I saw her that she was the one for me. I never thought I would fall at first sight but I did. Sometimes you get disappointed once you get to know that person more but I never did with her. She is amazing but I feel like I've been with her forever and everyone is pressuring us to get married and have cubs.” Taemin took a deep breath “Jinki I barely can take care of me. How will I take care of a baby and a house of my own?”

Jinki nodded his head knowing what he meant.

“I love her but I can't do this. I can't marry, not now at least.”

“We are truly brothers.”

Taemin chuckled. “But you are way more mature and I'm sure you wouldn't mind having babies.”

“Not now. But when I was your age I would.” Jinki nuzzled Taemin’s arm with his elbow. “It’s good that I won't be the only black sheep of the family for dad.”

Taemin laughed out loud, his laughter subsiding slowly “That's really not what scares me the most. I don't want to lose her.”

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin wasn’t very far away from Jinki and since she knew that he was somewhere down the street she couldn't help but look at the stars above her and have romantic thoughts like “Is he also looking at the same sky as I am?”.

Minho interrupted her thoughts by sitting beside her outside holding two old cups of tea. He offered one to her and she grabbed it smelling the hot liquid inside.

“It's the same one we drank earlier today.” Minho said with his eyes shining brightly before he sipped a little of his tea.

She could understand why he was so happy about being there, he chatted none stop during dinner with the old man, but she couldn't care less about the “magical” moment they were experiencing. It felt too real for her.

Minho didn't try to strike a conversation with her and she felt relieved but her peace quickly vanished when the Shaman sat beside Minho, stretching his legs in front of him releasing interjections of pain and relief, complaining about how old his body was.

“This tea is amazing. Thank you so much for letting us stay.” Minho was quick to thank the old man again and Hyejin frowned listening to them talk for a while with Minho asking the old man about the house some more.

“So, Hyejin-ssi…” She turned when the man called her name. He seemed tired but his smile was still warm. She wanted to trust him but at the same time, she couldn't. Not until he told her what exactly she was doing there. “Do your parents live in Seoul?”

“No. I’m alone here.”

“Do you visit them often?”

“Not really. My mother isn't alone though. She has my stepfather. My brother is studying in America.”

The old man nodded and she looked away rubbing her knees. Why the sudden interest in her now?

“Where is your father?”

That was the question she used to dread before. It was hard to explain that she had no idea where he was. It was easier to say that he died and she was going to say just that when Minho stepped in.

“He disappeared when she was little.”

She sent him an upset look but her gaze softened when she realized he was answering for her so that she didn’t have to mention it.

The Shaman didn't react to that so Minho asked him about how he became a Shaman instead. After that, the old man told them the story about how he was born into the clan, studied to be a doctor and became an apprentice of the previous Shaman. Minho listened to him attentively and soon even Hyejin became interested. One hour passed without them even realizing and their cups of tea were now empty and cold.

Minho stood up showing an intention to go to sleep and join Mr.Kim that was by now sleeping soundly for sure.

Hyejin stood up to follow him but hesitated since the Shaman didn’t move. There were so many questions she wanted to ask him.

“Why did you ask us to stay here tonight?” She sat again, this time closer to the old man “You could simply have asked us to come tomorrow.”

“Would you have come?”

After thinking it through the idea of being of use to Jinki in any way besides being food was very unlikely. “Probably not.”

He laughed. “That's what I thought. I couldn't allow that.”

“Why? Is it my blood? What is wrong with it?” She was human. He did say that before, so what was so special about it that he needed her to stay.

“It’s not only your blood.” He explained “I want you to know what is it like to be Jinki. I want you to learn what our clan represents and the responsibilities the chief of the clan has. If you stay here with me for a few days I can show you and then you can decide if you want to be a part of his story. If you truly love him you need to know fully what you are getting yourself into.”

“But why? Why are you doing this? Isn't it easier if Jinki marries a woman from the clan?”

“Easier? Yes, maybe but is that the right thing to do?”

She stared at him in confusion. “How can't it be the right thing to do? Isn't he supposed to marry a woman from his clan?”

“Hyejin, if I told you that maybe the right thing this time would be following your heart would you stay? If I told you that maybe the right person for Jinki is you, that maybe I can make it come true...Would you stay and do what I ask of you even though you don't understand it?”

Hyejin bit her lower lip and her heart started to beat faster. If there was a slight chance of her being with Jinki and it being the right thing what would she do?

“I’m not going to lie to you. Your life will never be the same again and you will become a part of this world too. It might be dangerous but if you truly love Jinki you won’t ever regret it.”

“What do I have to do?” there was no hesitation and the old man smiled. He knew what she was feeling, he also could taste her emotions as Jinki did.

“For now I only ask of you to trust me until the time comes. Stay here as my guest and assistant. Pretend that you don't know Jinki and accompany me to the events that lead to the initiation ritual.”

“Everyone might suspect. I'm new and I can't simply hide what I'm feeling from anyone here.”

“You will act as the daughter of my old friend, Mr.Kim and the girlfriend of Minho-ssi. That will keep attention away from you.”

“Minho? I can't do that to him, he…”

“He is in love with you. Well, he knows about my plan already and he doesn't mind.”

“You planned all of this together?!” She fumed upset, a little betrayed that Minho agreed to that already and didn't even talk it through with her.

“He said he will take a vacation from work and you are allowed to take more days off too.” Hyejin didn't answer looking at the sky trying to control her anger. Lately, it seemed like everyone was taking decisions for her and she hated it. “He knew that you would accept my plan that's why. He is a good friend.”

He was and Hyejin slowly released the breath she was holding. She had a lifetime of gratitude towards him now. “He is wasting his time helping me. I feel bad.”

“No, he isn't. He is following his path too.” The old man blinked his eye and was going to stand but Hyejin grabbed the sleeve of his t-shirt making him stop.

“You can see the future?” It was something that made her extremely curious and after that remark about Minho she simply had to ask.

“No. I just have a good feeling about you.”

The old man stood up and stretched his arm making is fingers crack. Hyejin watched him, her heart swaying. She trusted him even though it all seemed so surreal.

“Our clan is at war right now Hyejin. A war that comes from inside and we need something new and that something is Jinki. When the time comes he will need your help. Are you fully in this? Can he count on you?”

Jinki said she was special like the moon, that even though she had no light and seemed fake she inspired others. If she could be the one he looked to when he was in darkness, a source of strength, his home, then she would be happy. That would be enough for her.

He might have run away from her but she wouldn't let him leave. She would be there for him whatever happened. She would at least try to help him and protect him for a change.

Modern day princesses were stronger than the ones from fairy tales.

“He can.”

She also felt like she was at the right place at the right time.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Jinki rolled on his bed and grabbed his old phone from over the bedside table. He unlocked it and blinked his eyes with the light coming from it.

He couldn't sleep so he decided to distract himself with a game or reading the news, anything that would make him stop thinking about Hyejin. However, he ended up checking the old text messages they shared.

She was always bickering with him and calling him an idiot and yet he couldn't stop smiling because he knew that that was her clumsy way of saying that he mattered for her, that she loved him.

Her last text messages were soft and filled with demands of him calling her, or accepting her calls or at least text her to say he was alright. It pained him to look at them but at the same time, he couldn't dare to delete that spark of his past with her.

He let his hand holding his phone fall on his chest and closed his eyes. Jinki could still taste her kiss from that afternoon. It was salty of her tears but also filled with need and love. It wasn’t much different from the ones they shared in her bed before, the difference was that sadness was replaced with ual needs.

His body reacted immediately and he moved his tongue over his lips. He didn't need to try hard to remember her taste of when he gave her oral . !

He sat up on the bed and rubbed is head upset as if he wanted to rub away those memories too. Jinki cried out loud and got up from his bed. He stopped by the window of his bedroom and opened it. Suddenly the room was too hot or maybe he was the one burning up.

He watched the garden outside and then raised his eyes to the rooftops of the houses ahead. From where he was he could see the dark blue rooftop that belonged to the Shaman’s house. His gaze stayed there for a while and he shivered having a weird feeling about it. It wasn't unpleasant...just weird. Then he stared at the sky and sighed admiring the stars.

Somewhere, away from him, a world apart, Hyejin was probably under that sky, maybe also thinking of him.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Minho peeked inside the room and then entered it silently. During dinner, he asked the Shaman if he could check their library and since he was having a hard time sleeping - the tea he offered them was too strong and Mr.Kim, his roommate snored too loudly - he decided to check it before bed. He would have time to sleep the next day once Mr.Kim left the house.

The room wasn’t big and the air was a bit stuffy but Minho marveled at the walls covered with books, many of them looking extremely old and valuable. Minho raised the candle he was holding - no artificial light was allowed inside the library to preserve the books or so the old man told him - and run his hand on the spine of some reading the titles. He couldn't recognize them but they were all related with the history of South Korea, mythology and some he suspected that were about magic.

Minho held his breath when he found a shelf with books about the clan. He carefully took one named “The war of the clans and the Wolf Tiger peace agreement” and walked to the small round table in the middle of the room. He placed the candle on it and sat opening the book as careful as he could.

It seemed old but not as the ones he saw before. That book was a treasure and he knew he wouldn't find it anywhere because it was about something humans weren't supposed to study about and yet there he was, Choi Minho, a simple human, reading about the Tiger clan and their old dispute with other clans, especially the Wolf clan.

“This is amazing.” He mumbled to himself his heart bursting with excitement. For a while, he completely forgot about Hyejin and how he was now her fake boyfriend. For a while, he only cared about his passion for mythology and the history of South Korea.

He turned the pages of the book until he heard a faint sound. Minho raised the candle and tried to see in the dark but he couldn't see anything move.

“Is someone there?” No one answered and after a while, he placed the candle on the table again, feeling rather suspicious that the Shaman was only making fun of him when he said that only candles were allowed, and let himself fall into wonderland as Alice did once.

Unknown to him someone watched Minho from behind one of the bookcases, curious about that human that looked like a prince and weirdly seemed to match that library where he didn't belong to.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

“I don't understand what I am doing here!” Hyejin whispered to the Shaman that that day looked way different from the carefree man from the night before, wearing an elegant white shirt and black pants.

“You are my assistant remember?” He whispered back. “Just do what I wrote in the list and then come back to my house.”

Before Hyejin could say anything else the man turned around leaving her alone in the room.

She looked around holding the sheet of paper with her tasks in one hand and a basket with candles and incense and others things that she supposedly needed.

The room wasn’t big and had a long table in the middle. The walls were covered with old paintings portraying what seemed like clan families, parents, and children. She would have checked them one by one but she wanted to be fast and leave that unknown house, she still had no idea what exactly she was doing there. She wasn’t his maid or truly his assistant, it was supposed to be all a lie, right? A way to deceive others and yet he seemed to be taking it seriously.

Hyejin placed the basket over the table and kneeled on the floor over one of the fluffy and yet expensive looking blue pillows and fixed the dress that one of the Shaman’s maids gave her to wear. It was similar to a hanbok with a long dark green sleeveless dress and a light brown jeogori inspire small jacket. It was actually very beautiful and Hyejin felt very comfortable wearing it. It was way more comfortable than the hanboks she wore for work sometimes and even though the maids in that house were wearing similar clothing, her dress looked different and more elegant, maybe to symbolize that she was the Shaman assistant and not a simple maid.

Hyejin read the list and frowned. She was supposed to decorate the table with the flowers she brought and light one candle in front of the two center seats beside filling the room with the scent of the incense.

Someone was going to have a meal in that room and that was mandatory. She wondered who but not for long. After she finished placing the flowers and the candles she lighted an incense stick and walked around the room waving the smoke around so that it would reach every corner of the room, cleansing it from the bad spirits that might want to preside the meal with the living. That gave her time to think and more than that, observe the several paintings until her eyes fell into a recent looking one. She froze since a very young looking Jinki was looking at her. Taemin, still a child was beside him and sitting in two chairs was a couple, a smiling lady and a very serious man.

“...don't tell me.”

She clearly was inside Jinki’s parents home and that meal that was going to be served was probably related to his initiation ritual or wedding.

Hyejing quickly collected her things and left the room startled, anger rising inside her. That old man was playing with her! How could he leave her there, so close to Jinki, alone without understanding anything of what she was doing?

She was trying to find her way back when she heard two maids coming from the other side of the corridor. She walked slower trying to act normal and not as the ex of the future clan chief. They barely looked at her, probably used to see other maids there all the time, and instead passed by Hyejin chatting.

“Did you clean his bedroom?” one of them asked giggling. “You are so lucky.”

“I know, both the young masters are so handsome. He was leaving his room when I entered to clean and he was so gentle to me my heart almost came out of my chest.”

They both stopped gossiping and noticed Hyejin that stayed behind pretending to be searching for something inside her basket. Even though the maids walked down the corridor she could still feel their eyes on her which made Hyejin shiver.

Once they left Hyejin could breathe again. She was almost sure they were talking about Jinki which meant that his bedroom was probably around there.

She bit her lower lip. If the maid was done cleaning the room it meant that he wasn’t there so maybe she could just have a look around. She could always pretend she was lost if someone saw her.

She turned around and in a bold move, Hyejin decided to cross the hallway in the direction from where the maids came. Soon she found herself in the most beautiful old and elegant living room she ever saw. She froze at the entrance entranced with the mixture of modern with antique. Beside the couch was a big vase and she gasped remembering the one they had once at an exhibition at the palace. It was worth a lot of money, one of the most ancient and history relevant artifacts she saw, and Jinki’s parents had one decorating their living room as if it was nothing. Minho would have gone nuts if he entered that house.

Hyejin stared at the other door that lead to the living room just in front of her. It was open and she only had to cross that surreal living room to reach it. It probably gave access to the sleeping quarters of the house but she didn't dare to move too afraid that any action of her would somehow ruin something inside the room. Even breathing seemed dangerous.

A picture of Jinki and Taemin called her attention and she dared to give a few steps and look at the wall. The basket was hurting her arm now so she used the other one to hold it and took her time to check every picture of baby Jinki and Taemin. She smiled examining the picture of how cute Jinki was and how he was always smiling in every picture was he playing with his brother or simply beside his mother, until she found one where Jinki seemed to be around 13-15 years old where he wasn’t smiling anymore and seemed out of place beside his father and an old man she didn't recognize.

Hyejin stepped back without taking her eyes from the photo. Jinki’s eyes seemed so sad that it also made her sad. Somehow after that picture, he stopped smiling and she could understand why. He grew up, he realized he had responsibilities and he wanted to run away from them.

Her chest hurt and she couldn't help but relate his sadness with the one she felt when she realized her father wasn’t coming back, when she realized that sometimes there aren't happy endings and you aren't allowed to dream because dreams don't come true in real life.

Hyejin sighed and then touched the picture of Jinki as a little boy smiling, playing with a duck soft toy and the one where he was sad again as if she wanted to transfer some of that innocence and hope from one picture to the other.

“He is very handsome isn't he?”

A woman’s voice made her jump startled and she knocked her basket against a bird statue. It wouldn't have fallen if the woman in front of her didn't grab it.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry.” Hyejin bowed immediately even afraid to raise her head. That woman in front of her was the same one from the painting she saw in the other room, the same one from the pictures, she was Jinki’s mother and the owner of the house and Hyejin plan to blend in and be an invisible maid failed. Worse she probably could taste her conflicting feelings. She would be doomed if she could taste the love she felt for Jinki. Even thinking about it was dangerous and Hyejin panicked which the older woman didn't miss.

“It’s alright don't worry. Look at me please.”

Hyejin reluctantly raised her eyes to the woman and relaxed when she saw her smile gently like Jinki always did when she was embarrassed to tell him something, the kind of smile that makes you comfortable.

“You are new.”

“I...I...I work for the Shaman. I’m his assistant.”

“Oh, I know. He told me about it. He always prefers to hire humans to help him. Are you familiar with the history of our clan?”

“A little...not much.”

The woman turned around and Hyejin admired the beautiful soft pink silk of her long skirt and the white blouse she was wearing. She was short and a little chubby but seemed so warm and bright. Jinki probably got his cute sweet side from her.

“You know who I am right?” Hyejin didn't answer. “Actually not many human ladies come here because we need to keep our secret and it might be dangerous. We have maids of course but I’m not supposed to talk with them much.” Hyejin swallowed hard. Why couldn't she speak to humans? It made no sense to her.

“I don't leave the house much so I'm not able to have contact with humans often beside from my employees, so I'm a little curious about them. Do you want some tea?”

Hyejin parted her lips and looked at the expensive tea set she was using. No wonder Jinki touched their teacups at the palace as if they were just something you could buy at any store.

“You want to have tea with me?” Hyejin asked surprised.

“I want to ask you something.”

Hyejin stepped closer to the couch but didn't sit or accept the tea. It didn't feel proper to do so.

“Do you think someone like you is able to love someone like us sincerely?” Hyejin felt her cheeks blush “What I mean is that Humans are often attracted to us, it’s part of how we feed as you know but I was wondering if humans are capable of truly loving someone like us.”

Was she asking her indirectly if she was in love with Jinki honestly even though she had no idea who she was?!

“Yes. I do believe that no matter who you are and who the other person is when there is love it can be pure and honest.”

“I see.” The woman was going to raise the cup of tea to her lips but placed it back on the table and stood up instead smiling at someone behind Hyejin. She walked to the side so that she could give way to them and froze.

Dark brown intense eyes were looking at her.

Jinki was beside his father and both of them were staring at her, both wondering for different reasons what she was doing there.

Hyejin panicked but it was too late to run away or pretend she was lost. Jinki’s eyes moved up and down, checking her outfit and then softened as if he liked what he was seeing. Now that she thought of it he did visit her often at the Palace when she was wearing a hanbok. Maybe she looked pretty in his eyes. Her feelings started to overflow and he seemed to feel because he cleared his throat breaking the mood and as a warning that she should control herself. He was going to say something but before he was able to, Hyejin quickly walked to the door from where she came.

“I’m the Shaman’s new assistant. I’m sorry for intruding.”

“Wait!” Jinki’s father’s demand made her halt and Hyejin feared that her cover was blown. She slowly turned around but the man wasn’t paying much attention to her, instead, he sat beside his wife while Jinki watched him apprehensively “I’ve heard he received some guests yesterday. An older man and a couple. I had no idea they were humans.” He didn't seem to approve it “Now it makes sense. He is hiring people to help him during your initiation.” He smiled at Jinki that forced a tense smile back. “Are you with your husband then?”

“No, he is my boyfriend.” she clarified her eyes darting to Jinki that was now pale looking at the floor. She was lying and she wished he could taste that in her. Was he upset or sad that she seemed to have moved on and accepted what he advised her to do, that she was with Minho now? Or simply relieved?

“This is the weirdest Shaman this clan ever had.” Jinki’s father said looking at Hyejin. “Does he drink the blood of his employees or something? He even hires humans for assistance!”

Hyejin stared at Jinki’s father horrified but quickly tried to act normal “No, but he says he likes to feed of our emotions.”

“Ah makes sense. Still dangerous. Humans don't know how to control themselves. They are impetuous, lack manners and overflow with emotions. They let them control their lives.” He was speaking as if Hyejin wasn’t even in the room as if the same emotions that he fed on were something wrong. “They should focus on minor activities like cleaning and serving others. Don't think they can do a proper job with preparing rituals.” Did he realize he was offending her by saying that? He probably didn’t care at all.

Jinki chuckled awkwardly and then sent Hyejin a quick look “You probably should be going.” He was sorry for her, that she had to hear that but at the same time had no idea what she was still doing at the Shaman’s house and it annoyed him “You must have work to do.”

“What a weird old man!” Jinki’s father repeated.

“Don't be mean when you talk about the elders.” Jinki’s mother scolded her husband.

Hyejon bowed and quickly retreated mumbling to herself that she was an idiot and should just have stuck to the instructions the Shaman gave her.

She was halfway through the corridor that lead outside when Jinki grabbed her arm. The sheet of paper with her instructions fell to the floor and he grabbed it giving it back to her after he read some items from the list.

“You are helping him prepare my ritual initiation?” He pressed his lips together. Jinki probably felt the same she did, that it was all a cruel joke.

“I’m here to help you. That's what the Shaman told me. That I can help you and this assistant role is all a disguise.”

Jinki cocked his head in disbelief “Help me? A disguise? This is not a movie! How will you even help me? I almost had a heart attack when I saw you in the living room of my house so close to my...”

He bit his lower lip and looked down. Hyejin could understand his reluctance on their parents finding out about her. If he was a prince she was the peasant, no, she was even lower than a peasant because she was food. She was a damn chicken drumstick!

“I know what you are thinking. But it doesn’t involve you drinking my blood or anything.” She took a deep breath and her fingers brushed against his sending electric jolts through them. What would they give to hold hands again! “There might be a way for us to be together.”

Jinki turned his head away and rubbed his jaw as if he was trying to find the right words to answer to her “Hyejin, this is not a fairytale, this is real life and I am a monster. I need to do this for my family and my clan and it’s impossible to do it with a human by my side. No one will accept you and you wouldn't want this life for you…you wouldn't even survive it. Your blood... it is weak.”

“It's not.” She searched his eyes. She wasn’t weak and she would do anything to prove it to him and everyone “It made you heal.” as if she wanted to emphasize her words she touched his sweater over the place where he was hurt before.

“The only thing I can do with you is fed myself.” The words made his heart sting but it was the only truth he could give her. However Hyejin didn't seem hurt, she only blinked her eyes and closed shut, sadness filling them.

“Is that what I was always for you? A body filled with blood? Food?”

He swallowed hard his heart breaking into pieces “Of course...You were filled with the energy that I needed at the time.”

She scoffed and he thought that she would slap him or kick him like she did before however she pressed her body against his and kissed his lips instead, making him stumble back against the wall, all of her pressed to him, all of her entering who he was through only a kiss, a touch of lips. He could taste her conflicting emotions and sadness but above all, he could taste her love and determination. She didn't believe anything he said and she knew she was much more than a piece of food for him.

Jinki didn't move even after she pulled away, moving her hands down his chest until they fell by her side.

“Stop trying to push me away. I trusted you Jinki, I let you enter my life so please now trust me too. I’ll do my best to be with you. I’ll do anything so believe in me a little.”

Steps of someone approaching made her step back and Jinki bit his lower lip and tried to act normal since a beautiful woman followed by a couple was coming in their direction. A maid was showing them the way and Hyejin looked at the floor and walked away passing by them as if she was no one, trying not to think about anything special or her feelings would be tasted by them.

“Jinki-ssi…” The man greeted him and Hyejin closed her eyes when she heard him greet his soon to be wife. They exchanged some pleasantries and the last thing she heard was Jinki’s father-in-law comment about how it was nice to have humans inside the house.

She didn't hear Jinki’s answer and once she was outside she allowed herself to breathe again.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Minho opened his eyes and frowned, the unfamiliar vision of a shelf in front of him and the book under his head confused him at first. He stretched his arms in front of him and sat back up blinking his sleepy eyes.

He should have gone to bed the previous night but instead, ended up falling asleep in the library. The sunlight was entering through the several windows and illuminating the way back to the door of the room.

He stretched again and stared at the candle over the table. It was safely out thankfully and since its length seemed closer to the one from the night before it probably came out when he fell asleep.

He needed to be more careful next time or he could burn down the Shaman’s house and be expelled from visiting the Tiger clan forever or worse be executed by them.

Minho closed his eyes and laid his head down on the table over his arms once again, rubbing his head against his arm like he liked to do when he woke up. Now that he thought about it, it made him look like a cat. Maybe he could have been part of the Tiger clan in another life. He wondered if once they die Earth Gods are allowed to have another life or simply return to heaven. Maybe he could find something about that in that library. For sure someone wrote about Earth Gods’ afterlife stories and beliefs before.

Minho opened his eyes and this time instead of the bookshelf he saw hazel eyes looking back at him.

He screamed jolting back on his chair and stared at the beautiful woman that was crouching in front of his table, her head resting in her arms over the table mimicking what he was doing. She stood up too and run a hand through her shoulder sized wavy auburn hair giving him time to assimilate what just happened and truly give her a good look. She was pretty, with a round small face and straight nose, her lips were small and chapped but what caught his attention more was her fierce fox-like gaze. If she wasn’t a human than she fitted the whole mystical creature role perfectly. The woman wasn’t wearing the same clothes that maids wore and instead had a black dress on that covered her body to her knees. She seemed like a scary beautiful looking doll or ghost or even a wannabe gothic rebellious teenager. She also seemed younger than him.

“Who are you?” He asked closing the book over the table noticing the hostile way she was staring at him.

“I had to blow out the candle yesterday. You don't leave a candle unattended during the night, let alone in a room filled with books.” Minho swallowed hard. “Besides who still uses candles in the era of electricity?!”

Yes, the old man was joking around when he told him to use a candle . He insisted so much though as if he had a secret intention behind it.

“Y-you were here last night?” That explained the noise Minho heard. Was she watching him?! Was she even real? Maybe she was a ghost. He fought the desire to touch her white pale skin just to be sure.

The woman rolled her eyes “I slept here, someone had to keep watch.”

“Keep watch?” He looked around nervously.

“Yes. Humans are bound to do something stupid all the time.”

“So you are a Tiger?”

She didn't answer and instead placed both her hands on the table and leaned over giving him a better look. Minho backed away in the chair his eyes getting lost in her beautiful deep hazel ones before he noticed that that position gave him a good view of the vale between her s. She noticed his eyes moving down to see her skin and moved away, her pale cheeks becoming slightly pink.

Minho was relieved with that. She was real, no ghost can blush.

“I see that you are a ert like every human.”

“Actually from what I've been reading, Tiger gods are actually extremely ually active, way more than humans so if we compare both we can say that they are way more ert than humans.”

The young woman didn't seem offended and instead, he could see her lips raise into a faint smile.

“What’s your name human?”

“What’s your name?” Minho asked curious with that frustrating and yet interesting girl.

“I asked you first!” She said pouting slightly and he chuckled. She was indeed younger than him, maybe in her early twenties. “You are the one dating the other human woman right?”

She must have meant Hyejin so Minho nodded. “Her name is Hyejin.”

“I don't care.”

Minho stood up and the girl watched his every move as if she was indeed a fox and would run away as soon as he tried to get closer.

“So what is your name?”

“You don't care about her name but you want to know mine? Why?”

“Just answer!”

“No. I'm older and you are not being very respectful right now.”

The young woman’s forehead creased and she parted her lips to say something but gave up on it.

“Look ahjussi it’s not that hard to tell me your name.”

“Hey, I'm not that older than you.”

“Ok then, you are an ahjussi for now on!”

He sighed “I’m Minho.”

The girl victoriously turned around.

“You didn't tell me your name!” Minho complained but she ignored him “And I'm not an ahjussi…you can call me Minho sunbae.”

However, she was gone and Minho stared at the door from where she disappeared. She was definitely not a ghost if she used the door to go out, however, she was positively the weirdest creature he ever met…and that was saying a lot after he found out that Jinki was a Tiger.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Jinki sneaked out of his house and ran down the street to the Shaman’s house as undetected as he could. He hesitated once he reached the back door to the old man’s house, the one he used often and bit the interior of his cheek thinking.

He wanted to see Hyejin and find out what exactly she was doing still there and what was the Shaman’s intentions but at the same time, he was scared to see her again and fail to resist his feelings for her.

Jinki opened the gate silently and entered the backyard closing the door behind him. The vision of the Shaman's garden was breathtaking since it was an extremely old one and filled with several different kinds of flowers and trees, some of them rumored to have magical powers. At the entrance Jinki was immediately greeted by a patch of Mugunghwa, the national flower and known for symbolizing immortality. He moved quietly into the center of the garden where was a small bench was surrounded by stargazer lilies, one of his mother's favorite flowers.

He crouched beside the bench and then peeked behind the flowers trying to see the door that lead inside the house from there. He wondered what Hyejin was doing and if he could find a way to attract Minho outside so that they could talk without her knowing.

“She is busy right now.” A familiar voice said from behind Jinki and he looked around, lost his balance and fell with his on the ground. The old Shaman laughed and sat on the bench holding a bouquet of freshly picked mugunghwa on his hands.

Jinki stood up and brushed the dirt from his pants’ back and sat beside him feeling a little embarrassed that he was caught spying.

“Don't worry I'm not judging you for coming to see her. I can't resist baked sweet potatoes too when I know they are selling them just down the street.”

Jinki widened his eyes and they both laughed with the comparison. Hyejin would probably be upset that they were comparing her with food but she was indeed very irresistible and sweet. He missed holding her terribly.

“What is she doing here?” Jinki asked not wasting any time “If my father finds out or the rest of the clan she might end up hurt.”

The Shaman nodded “They won't for now.”

Jinki’s eyebrows drew together and he was going to complain but the old Shaman interrupted him before he did.

“I need another donation of blood from you.”

Jinki blinked his eyes speechless “Can't we talk about my blood later? About Hyejin…”

“This is about her. Give me another sample and trust me.”

Jinki rubbed his hand on his pants and pressed his lips together uncertain but the old man seemed very determined about whatever he had in mind.

“The only thing I want right now is to help our clan.” Jinki said “But...she is very important to me and I prefer if she stays out of this for her safety.”

“Jinki, I also want the best for this clan and I don't know if its fate or not but maybe your rebellious phase might have brought something good into our lives.”

“Hyejin?”

“I need to know more but…”

“Please don't give her false hopes.” Jinki begged “There is no possible fate between us both.”

“I’m not. I know what I am doing and I’m certain about this as I was certain on the day you turned that your white fur was a good omen.”

It was true that the Shaman was the only one inside the council that didn't seem to mind the color of his fur.

“You need to be accepted by the council if you want to be the chief and you must be him. This clan needs you.”

“But if they find out of how close I am to humans, if they find out about what I feel for Hyejin…”

“Don't worry about that. When the time comes you will know what to do. Give me a blood sample and I’ll do my best.”

It was only blood and he wanted to believe that there was a possible future where he didn't need to say goodbye to Hyejin so Jinki ended up nodding.

“Here.” The old man offered the bouquet to Jinki “Give it to your mother to be used to decorate your room tonight. You should surround yourself with them so you can have a long and healthy life.”

He would need those for sure once he became a clan chief and worse if they found out about Hyejin.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

The chance for Hyejin to enter Jinki’s bedroom came true that same day. While Jinki was at the Shaman’s house she was at his place again, this time to deliver some flowers and a note to Jinki from the Shaman. Since she was sent by the elder one of the maids accompanied her to his bedroom and waited outside until Hyejin placed the mugunghwa inside vases around his bedroom. She was almost finished when the maid was called leaving her alone so Hyejin saw that as an opportunity to check his bedroom comfortably.

It wasn’t as if she wanted to go through his drawers or find any secrets, she was just curious about the man she fell in love with. She never saw Jinki’s apartment - she wasn’t even sure if he truly had one - and his own space since he was a kid.

There were two shelves on the wall filled with books and some medals and Hyejin marveled finding out that Jinki seemed to like science since he was little or he wouldn't have won an award at a science fair. He also had several books related to medicine and a few biographies of famous scientists.

Hyejin peeked at the door clutching the vase with flowers against her, her alibi in case someone showed up, and walked around the room.

His desk was neatly organized with only two books over it and a cup with pencils and pens. Hyejin carefully placed the vase on it and fixed the flowers, her eyes drifting to the books. She grabbed the one on top that was a heavy anatomy compendium and opened one of the pages marked with cute bunny sticky markers on the side. It was filled with handwriting notes and Hyejin smiled. He truly was smart and hardworking and she wanted so much to see him work as a doctor now. It was true that she doubted his words before but now after seeing his bedroom, she was starting to imagine that side of Jinki. She placed the huge book on the desk and grabbed the other one underneath with interest. It wasn’t science or medicine, it was a small book filled with music sheets to play on the piano and Hyejin bit her lower lip, an image of Jinki playing the piano with his beautiful hands she loved, moving over the keys, delicately playing music in the piano as he played on her. She placed the book down on the desk and quickly placed everything like it was just when someone entered the bedroom. She touched the vase pretending to be innocent but her hands fell to her side when she saw that it was Jinki.

This time he didn't ask her what she was doing there and instead entered the bedroom and closed the door behind him leaving only an inch open.

“I didn’t come to spy on you.” Hyejin said quickly raising her chin “I only brought some flowers and…” her eyes fell on the flowers he was holding, the same ones she brought.

Jinki’s lips trembled and turned into a smile that confused her and he placed the bouquet with flowers next to the ones on the vase of the desk. They were so close that she shivered in expectation but he didn't dare to touch her and only looked her way once he was finished.

“I also brought you a message from the Shaman.”

“Curious…” He mumbled wondering why he didn't tell him anything about it when he just left his house.

Hyejin stared at his profile and then down to his arms where he had a band-aid.

“Did you get hurt?”

He touched the place where the Shaman pricked him for blood. “No, I just had to make a small blood donation.”

Their eyes finally met and Hyejin held her breath, her hands itching to touch him.

“You are truly a doctor.” she mumbled trying to fill the silence and that empty space between them with meaningless words.

“I told you so.” He frowned a little offended that she never truly believed him. “Wait, I’ll show you a picture of me at the hospital.”

He opened the drawer of his desk in search for it and while he rummaged through it she picked up his phone that was there, seeming rather forgotten.

He tried to take it away from her hold but was too late to do so.

Hyejin blinked her eyes and kept the phone close to her wondering why he didn’t want her to see it and why did she pick it up.

“Give it back to me please.”

“Why? You aren't using it any more right? You never accepted my calls or answered my texts and yet you have it.”

Jinki his lips and then tried to grab the phone but she hid it behind her back.

“Why did you keep it? Why didn’t you throw it away if you planned to completely forget me?”

“You are being childish Hyejin. Give me the phone back!”

“Can I keep it? Since you don't need it.”

“No!” He said firmly placing a hand on the wall behind her, blocking her way out and not only physically.

Hyejin’s heart started to beat faster and he swallowed hard listening to that sweet rhythm that matched the one from his heart.

“You kept it because you check the texts I sent you. Because you don't dare to throw it away...because you care for me.” Her words came out in a whisper because they were meant for him only.

He didn’t confirm it but he also didn't deny it, instead, Jinki parted his lips and leaned forward making Hyejin whimper. He stopped inches from her lips, his eyes igniting a fire inside her, a fire that had his name.

“You are a coward Jinki.”

Her words made him close his eyes and his hands moved on the wall beside her head. Hyejin stared at the floor, at the small distance between their feet and closed her eyes in pain.

She was always the coward one, the one running away from love, the one that wanted to live inside her fantasies because reality was too painful but this time she wanted to risk everything and be brave. He was the coward one.

“I…” His husky voice made her shiver and Hyejin curled her fingers into fists gathering her strength to push Jinki away and give him a lesson. However…

His fingers touched her chin and she let him pull her head up, her eyes fluttered open and she melted completely with the loving way he was looking at her. If she could taste emotions like him she would be having a feast that moment.

“My dad always called me a coward too. It seems like no matter what I do I always end up disappointing the ones I love.”

Hyejin’s chest tightened and she raised her hand to caress his cheek making him lean against her touch.

He never disappointed her...

She didn't want her words to hurt him and she wasn’t sure if she should apologize - even though she was upset with him - or kiss him senseless because he just said he loved her in his own way.

“This is my family Hyejin and they need this.”

“You are also my family.” He became much more than a pet or a friend in the time they were together “I need you too.”

He groaned closing his eyes and after what seemed like a small growl that reminded her of Onew, Jinki kissed her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her away from the wall. Hyejin wrapped her arms around his neck and moved her hands on his nape and up to his hair or cheeks, humming against his lips.

They moved around the room bumping against his desk until they settled there with Jinki pulling her up by her waist and over his desk.

Hyejin whimpered for air and he pulled away, his hot breathing and wet lips gracing her cheeks and neck with soft hungry kisses. She caressed his hair parting her lips for oxygen. He attacked her again when she was far from recover and she parted her lips for his tongue to enter . They kissed for a while slowing down even though the passion wasn’t subsiding, on contrary, she wanted more of him and her hands moved down his chest to his stomach hesitating there. It would be madness to go much further there, inside the house he shared with his parents, but it was already madness how they were kissing.

He at her lower lip and then rested his head against hers, his hands sliding from her waist to the desk pushing his books to the edge of it, their lips parted while they breathed hard, desire and love filling their gazes.

Jinki blinked his eyes and she saw the familiar blue shine in them before he pulled away from her covering his mouth as if he feared that his lips had a life of their own and kissed her again.

Hyejin tensed knowing what would happen next.

“Leave please, your feelings can be triggering to others.” He almost begged turning around and crossing to the other side of the bedroom as if he was scared of being close to her, scared that her human feels would denounce their secret affair, as if it was something dirty, something that must be hidden and forbidden.

Hyejin let her feet touch the floor and took the envelope she brought from the Shaman out of her pocket. She approached Jinki and when he turned to look at her she grabbed his hand and placed the envelope on it.

“I’ll leave you alone...your highness.” She had no idea how to treat a prince Tiger God but that didn't matter because her words hurt him enough, she could see it in his eyes. Hyejin her heels and swiftly left the room.

Jinki blinked his eyes, his body still bubbling with feels, with energy and love and opened the envelope.

The words on it made his lips twitch and he would have laughed if he wasn’t upset instead.

“No need to thank me for the delicious baked sweet potatoes I sent you.”

Hyejin would be so mad if she knew that she was being compared to food, and even more mad if she knew that that was only the old man making them meet.

Jinki sat on his bed and crumbled the small card in his hand.

Didn't matter, she looked extremely mad with him already.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin crossed the patio in quick strides, her cheeks red with anger and humiliation. How dare of him to always use her as ping pong ball, giving her hopes of something more only to make them come down crashing into million pieces?!

She slowed down and her eyes started to become wet, anger giving way to sadness. She didn't lie when she said that he was her family, that she needed him. She opened up her heart once again, she actually admitted she needed someone and yet he treated her as a nonsense. Maybe that was truly a mistake, maybe the best thing she could do was to go back home and completely erase that chapter called Jinki from her life but…she never truly felt anything like that with any other man, not even Minho. Love was such a powerful thing and it filled her with hope and all these wonderful feels she couldn't name, but at the same time, it hurt so damn much. She wished she had someone to talk with, but her only friend that knew about Jinki was Minho and she didn’t feel comfortable talking with him about that, it wouldn't be fair.

She rubbed her eyes trying to keep the tears inside and bumped against someone. The man steadied her and then released her eyeing her curiously.

His eyes were of a beautiful auburn color and he was muscular and tall like a model, with long black hair and beautiful features. He could compete with Minho in a prince charming competition. However, the way he looked at Hyejin wasn’t very gentleman like and she felt uneasy.

She tried to walk away and avoid looking at him but he stepped in front of her every time she tried to pass by him until she finally looked up at him again. Rather than strike a conversation he smiled mischievously, amused by her frustration.

“You are human!” He said at last once she gave up on avoiding him.

“I work for the Shaman.”

“Right, he always likes to mix work with pleasure.” He his lips, his eyes checking her out and Hyejin hugged herself. Her dress was not revealing at all but she felt almost under that gaze.

“Are you marked?”

Hyejin widened her eyes, knowing enough about marking to know that that question wasn’t a good one.

“She isn’t supposed to be.” Taemin approached them, and relief washed over her “We only mark the ones of our kind now. Besides she belongs to the Shaman and you know how he hates when we mess with his human helpers.”

“Oh, Taemin but look at this delicious…” He touched Hyejin chin that quickly pulled away “...human snack. Your hyung would be so good to her.”

Hyejin’s face was all red and she looked close to exploding so Taemin stepped in the middle of her and the tall handsome mysterious guy.

“Jae-hui hyung you are behaving like an ahjussi, we don't need that now, right?”

“Such a pity.” He sighed deeply and after touching Hyejin’s hair and pulling it to his nose to smell it, he left.

She ran her fingers in the strand of hair he touched as if she wanted to clean it and then turned to Taemin.

“Thank you.”

“As always I save your .” Taemin said shaking his head making Hyejin flare up.

“You didn't save me last time, you saved Jinki.” saying his name made all feels come back and Hyejin lost all her will to argue with Taemin.

He probably tasted the change in the mood because he also tensed up “Anyway, just keep away from that guy. He isn't the nicest as you could see.”

“I tried. He didn't let me go.”

“Jinki might rip his head off if he sees him around you and that will mean more trouble.”

Hyejin laughed nervously “I can no longer separate what is real from what it's not in what people say around here. I can actually see your kind ripping each other's heads as if its nothing. Maybe I'm going insane.”

Taemin looked at her apathetically “I meant that he would be jealous and even though he wouldn't actually kill Jae-hui, the things could get complicated.”

“Jinki jealous of me...I guess he wouldn't want his human snack to be tasted by someone else.”

“You really don't understand anything!” Taemin said that to her before and now it made Hyejin way angrier than it did before.

“Well if you were clearer about things I would! If your brother stopped being a coward and actually fought for what he truly wants then maybe I would understand.”

Taemin seemed way more disappointed with her now and she wondered if that was even possible.

“You have no idea the responsibilities he has, how pressured he feels right now. You can't judge him, you don't have the right!”

Hyejin was going to answer but she didn't know what to say anymore.

“Is that guy bothering you?” Minho asked from outside, staring at Taemin.

“No.” She swallowed hard “This is Taemin, he is Jinki’s brother.”

Minho’s lips turned into a smile and he quickly greeted Taemin as if being Jinki brother made him automatically the nicest of people. He wasn't, at least not to Hyejin, because he was always so straightforward honest with her, revealing his disdain towards her everytime he could.

She stood beside them lost in thought hearing Minho talk about how he decided to research more about Tiger Gods and wondering if Taemin would help him. Jinki’s younger brother was actually very polite and agreed to help Minho which surprised Hyejin. It seemed like she was the only one hated by him and she wondered why.

Taemin’s gaze found hers again.

Maybe he didn’t hate her, he just loved his brother too much and wanted the best for him.

Maybe she simply just didn't live up to that.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin found the Shaman alone outside in the garden that night and sat beside him after he asked her if she wanted to have tea with him. During dinner, she tried for several times to strike a conversation with him about Jinki but failed to do so because Minho interrupted it with some question about his research and the library.

“What do you want to talk about?” The old man asked drinking from his cup. He was wearing a funny black sweater with a sentence in English that made zero sense. If she didn't know him she would think he was a crazy grandpa.

“Jinki.” The old man wasn't surprised for sure “I mean...Today I was mean to him and said some hurtful things because I don't get it! I want to but I don't!”

“What don't you get it?”

“Why can't he be a doctor, marry a human woman and still be the chief of the clan?”

“Well he can but his image in front of his people would be highly affected.”

“And why should he care?” It wasn’t a crime to follow his heart and he still could be a good leader.

“Because his clan is going through a crisis Hyejin. The Gods are sending warnings to us, our blood is weakening and if things keep going as they are we might disappear. Earth Gods might disappear.”

“Just because he decided to love a human?”

“No, because he couldn’t keep the clan united. The clan already watch Jinki’s initiation and the nomination for chief with doubts. He decided to leave the clan before to live like a human, his fur is white and he seems to think differently from the elders. Right now almost no one is on his side. Showing up with a human wife and making decisions that aren't proven to help the clan would be his downfall as a possible chief candidate.”

“I hate politics.” Hyejin mumbled drinking her tea.

“The Lee family is a family of clan chiefs, the most ancient inside the clan. Jinki’s ancestors were the first Tiger Earth Gods. His blood is strong and descends directly from the Gods. This is his destiny and ever since he was little, the path his parents always envisioned him following. He may say all he wants that he doesn't want to be a leader but he is the best candidate and honestly I know he would do a good job.”

“Doesn't matter. He doesn’t want to do it.”

“Really? Are you sure about it?” The old man chuckled and Hyejin frowned.

It was true that they didn’t talk much about it but he did run away from that house before, trying to avoid that destiny. However, he did come back. Of course, it was in part because he wanted to protect her and because of his parents but what if he truly deep down wanted to do it also?

“I thought he came back because of me, because since I was attacked he thought I was in some kind of danger. That's probably why he is trying to push me away.”

“But you are in danger. A part of this clan is still living following our old rules. A part of this clan wouldn't hesitate to use you like food and I don't mean eating your emotions only.”

She knew, even that afternoon that awful man seemed to look at her as if she was candy.

“I never said you wouldn’t face danger by being beside Jinki but the truth is we all face danger. Do you know what attacked you?”

“I only know that it looked like a wolf and Taemin seemed scared when I told him about it. ”

“What probably attacked you was stronger than any Earth creature. Some may think it’s a message of the Gods but it’s worse than that. That creature is usually called Bul-gae, a fire dog. Have you heard of it?”

Hyejin loved folktales and she heard before the story of how the king of the dark world wanted to possess the light of the moon and sun and sent one of his fire dogs to catch the sun and bring it back to his realm. However, the sun was too hot and burned his mouth. The same happened when the dog tried to bit the moon, its coldness hurt him and he had to go back.

“I thought it was all only...myths.”

The old man smiled “Like shapeshifting creatures? Like people turning into tigers or drinking blood from others?”

“Yes.” She felt a little embarrassed with her innocence and ignorance. Taemin was right. There were so many things she didn't know about Jinki’s world, about her own world. “So...that creature was a bul-gae.”

“Yes, and its bite is so powerful that it can kill a Earth God and yet, the power of your ordinary blood saved Jinki.” The old man’s lips parted into a huge smile “I also thought it was only part of fairytales and just like you Hyejin I ignored all those stories that said that the most powerful thing in the world was love but...I’m blind no more. Do you understand now why I insisted on you to stay? Why I want you beside Jinki? Maybe the union of humans and Earth Gods by love and not a feeding necessity might be the most powerful thing and all we need to save this clan.”

“But why did it attack me?”

“I don't know. Maybe it was because its master feared the union of both this species.”

“Didn’t humans and Earth Gods fell in love before?”

“They did. There are stories of this unions but they all ended terribly.”

She frowned remembering how Jinki lied to her before saying that they were happy. He knew all along that their relationship could never be.

“What's different now?”

“Exactly! Why are you a threat now, why is your relationship a threat?”

“I’m just human…” She stared at her hands. She had no powers, no god blood, she was just a common human and she never asked for any of that. On contrary, her life was a sea with no waves and she always kept her distance from others. Falling in love turned all her life upside down.

“Jinki will do this ritual initiation. It has several parts of course and right now he is receiving his guests, members of the clan and from other clans will come. He needs to act confident, he needs to feel secure in his own skin and he isn’t right now. A sign of weakness at this moment, when everyone worries with what happened and the dark realm, can mean his death.” Hyejin gasped “Many clan chiefs were killed along the times. Hyejin do you know why the gods in heaven created us?”

She shook her head, her heart aching. Death...it meant that Jinki would cease to exist. He would disappear forever as her father did.

“Because they needed us here protecting the Earth directly from the creatures of darkness. At first, our ancestors had to fight them. Dark creatures lived between humans acting like them and destroying everything, trying to fill the world with darkness since He that lives in darkness could never take the light he desired to his realm. Now we live in peaceful days all because of what our ancestors did in the past, all because they sacrificed themselves for the future. It’s starting to happen again Hyejin. He is coming back and darkness threatens us. More than ever we need good leaders before we have to sacrifice our lives for the Earth. We need Jinki. That is my strong belief.”

“I don't want him to die.” Her eyes started to sting and the vision of the old man grabbing her hands became fuzzy with the tears. She couldn’t fully grasp everything he was telling her because the word death was all she could hear.

“That's why I want you beside him. I know you will never leave his side. And I know you are the only one that matches perfectly with him. The one he should mark. Together you are stronger.”

“B-but I’m a human...he said…”

“I know, but I also spent years studying this, studying our history, studying our blood. Jinki’s fur is white Hyejin and I don't think it is an error. It’s a sign, a sign that he can be light in the darkness and maybe you can be too.”

She blinked her eyes remembering how Jinki said that she was like the moon when he said goodbye to her the first time. She didn't have light and she wanted to tell the Shaman that but...the moon also didn't and Jinki said that it inspired people, that it was the prettiest and above all, it shined because the sun’s light reflected on it. Maybe Jinki was the sun and she only needed to be his moon so that the Earth would never be in darkness.

In that small moment, even though that whole conversation seemed out of a story her father would tell, or the craziest dream, Hyejin saw everything clearer than ever. Maybe her whole life, maybe all the tears and the emptiness inside her had a meaning. Maybe that hole inside her needed to be filled with Jinki and his light and maybe she had a bigger purpose in her life. Even if it was only her heart telling her that and it was all untrue she didn't care anymore. She would be his moon, maybe she was all along since he was the only one who saw through her and managed to reach her.

“I understand.” She wanted to know more. She would ask Minho, she would research their history, she would ask Jinki. She wanted to be part of that world and that community. She wanted to be one with Jinki, one with that world. Taemin would be proud of her she would do everything for him to accept her as the best woman to be beside his brother.

“Good.” The old man patted her hand gently. “There is a small celebration at the chief’s house tonight. The elders and several clan members were invited. It’s only for men and it's more like a drinking party than anything. Jinki will have to drink rice wine with everyone which means he will drink a lot.” The old man made a noise with his tongue “It’s a silly tradition!”

The Shaman took a small pouch from his pocket and gave it to Hyejin “I made some vitamins for him so he can keep up with all those old goats…” Hyejin chuckled “And tomorrow you can tell him that he can come for breakfast here. I’ll make something special for his hangover.”

“T-tell him?”

“Yes. You will be the one sent by me to give him the vitamins.”

“But you said it was a party for men.”

“So? You are my official helper and your duties are all related with Lee Jinki’s initiation ritual.”

Hyejin raised an eyebrow and grabbed the pouch “Why are you always sending me to him?” She blushed trying to hide her eyes from the Shaman.

“Because you miss him and because I know that only by seeing you he feels better and stronger.” She grasped the pouch in her hand and raised her eyes to the old man feeling thankful. His meddling now didn't seem like a punishment or sick joke of some kind. He cared for Jinki. “Go now before everyone is there. Jinki needs the extra boost.”

Hyejin felt her cheeks getting hotter not knowing if the man was talking about the vitamins or herself.

 

15ry69e.jpg

 

Hyejin was like a soft tasty lamb in the middle of a room filled with wolves. That's what she felt when she entered what the maids called as the ceremony room. It was a huge and fairly decorated room with several artifacts and old tapestries and several tables where men were kneeling over soft puffy red pillows. Hyejin crossed the room trying to act invisible, following the maid in front of her but it was hard to ignore the faces turning, smelling the fresh blood. She didn't see hungry faces in most of them like she did see in the face of the awful man she met that afternoon but she didn't stare long enough to be sure.

The maid told her to wait and she stood at the door of a smaller room connected to the previous one. Several old men were inside and sitting over what seemed like a throne-like chair adorned with a red opulent mantle was Jinki’s father, chuckling, talking in a low tone with the man she saw at the restaurant and later at that same house - Jinki’s father-in-law.

Hyejin stared at the floor waiting and it didn't take long for the maid to come back.

“Master Jinki is in the bathroom and…” She didn't continue and Hyejin followed her gaze. Jinki was coming their way and Hyejin widened her eyes at the vision. He looked exactly alike and yet so different from the day he took her dancing. He looked like a fairytale-like prince, wearing a dark blue hanbok, his hair neatly combed. He was far from being the awkward man she met at the palace and yet when his eyes met hers she knew he was the same one and nothing truly changed. Why was she so blind to see him for who he truly was?! Ever since the first time he set foot in the palace, touching the expensive old cups as if it was nothing she should have known. He was a prince. He belonged in a palace like that and she wanted to belong by his side.

Hyejin her lips nervously looking away, now too self-conscious of how her feelings could be tasted by everyone in that room.

“Yes?”

“I'm sorry young master.” The maid bowed and Hyejin followed the example “She was sent to you.”

“I have vitamins sent by the Shaman himself.” Hyejin added.

Jinki looked around seeming a bit lost and after peeking at his father he spoke “Follow me please.”

Hyejin seized to follow him marveling at his broad back and how safe she felt behind him, how safe she always felt around him. He did remind her of her father but not because they were similar but because he made her warm and happy as he did.

Jinki entered a small room that looked like a study and closed the door after Hyejin.

“He sent you again?” He whispered “Is he crazy? Here tonight...it’s…”

“He said I could give you a boost of energy!” Hyejin defended the old man a smile illuminating her eyes “You know how my kisses do wonders in your energy level.” She offered him the pouch with the vitamins “I'm the real vitamin here.”

Jinki parted his lips to scold her but instead, he smiled to himself and grabbed the pouch placing it on his pocket. She was right and that old man too.

Hyejin giggled and then stood on her tip toes and kissed Jinki’s lips quickly before he could step away. He blinked his eyes but didn't say anything so Hyejin saw that as a good sign. She wrapped her arms around his neck marveling with the feeling of the silk of his expensive hanbok and sliding her fingers to his skin that was even more silkier and pleasurable to touch than it. Yet Jinki grabbed her arms and pushed her away.

“I thought you were mad with me.”

Oh right, She did call him a coward that afternoon.

“I'm sorry. I was stupid…”

“Doesn't matter.” She was going to complain but instead, he sat on the chair of the study and pulled her to his lap. Hyejin gasped when he hid his face on her chest and wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug that almost made her heart explode. If that was how he wanted her to keep her emotions in check away from detection then he was doing a lousy job helping her.

“Jinki…”

“Can't we just stay like this for a little while?”

She didn't say anything and hugged him back, shivering in pleasure with his hot breath now on her neck. She could feel him inhale her scent, probably feeding on her emotions, using her like vitamins and she didn't mind at all because she was also feeding on that love.

He smelled so nice and she couldn’t resist touching his hair and run her hands on his scalp. He seemed to enjoy it because his nose disappeared in the crock of her neck and his breathing accelerated.

“It’s funny how I used to pet you as a cat.”

“You can still pet me.” He mumbled and she took her time running her fingers on his locks. “I'm still furry.”

She smiled. “It's different.” he didn't say anything so she added “I’m curious about your tiger form. I saw you when I was attacked but it was a moment of tension and I truly want to see your fur. You must be so beautiful.”

He moved away just enough to look at her and Hyejin swallowed hard. “I will show it to you. I promise.” He was being honest and she touched his cheek glad that they were making a promise of an immediate future where both coexisted in the same place.

“It’s surprising how touching you like this feels similar of how I felt touching Onew.”

“We are one and the same.” Jinki whispered his face dangerously approaching hers, his lips moving against her chin making Hyejin close her eyes. They desired each other and with each passing second, it was becoming unbearable to deny it.

“I can't think of you as Onew. It's so weird…”

“It’s my clan name. It’s so bad for a chief clan.” He grimaced “It means soft. Lee Jinki the gentle soft one…”

“It's not bad.”

“It is if you want to be the one ruling, the one who demands respect.”

Hyejin slide her fingers down his neck making him lean his forehead against her. They kept brushing their bodies against each other, trying to extract pleasure for those small gestures.

“So you want to be a chief after all!”

He pulled away and for a second he seemed confused. “I don't!”

Hyejin bit her lower lip remembering the Shaman’s words.

“Why don't you?”

Jinki sighed “It's a big responsibility to have the lives of so many people in my hands...it’s…” He shook his head as if the solo thought was too overwhelming. “When I was a little kid, we had a family dog. It had puppies one summer and in my haste to play with them I picked one up and because of my carefulness I let it fell. The puppy broke a paw. Hyejin, I can't do it. I am not good enough, responsible enough or prepared or…”

Hyejin smiled caressing his cheeks and pulling him to her lips. They kissed a little more intensely now, taking their time.

“You are scared.” She whispered and he tightened the hold on her as if she was what he needed for those feelings to go away. “And that doesn't mean you don't want this, on contrary you know what it takes and you are scared to not fit the expectations for the role.”

“I'm a coward. You said so.”

“No! You are not and I was wrong and I'm sorry. I understand now, I think I know what this means to you and what it can mean to everyone.” She cupped his face “If there is someone that can guide this clan and serve as the best leader then that someone is you. I believe in you and I will do everything to help you.”

“Hyejin…” His face tightened in pain and doubt.

“This is what I want. I'm following my heart Jinki and it leads to you, it always did even if I didn’t know at the time!”

He ran his fingers on her hair and then kissed her leaving her breathless.

Hyejin hummed against his lips and he pulled away, his warm wet lips moving down her chin to her neck where he her making her burn in desire. She could feel the ache inside her build and she only wanted for him to take her. It was insane and she could blame the powers the Earth Gods had over humans but she knew that it was all him, all Lee Jinki and had nothing to do with his powers or blood.

Jinki her neck as if he was also as hungry as her, a different kind of hunger, one that came from the heart.

Things could have gone out of control if the door didn't open interrupting them.

Jinki immediately pulled away and stood up making Hyejin jump from his lap.

Jinki’s father and his future father-in-law were looking at them, both expressionless trying to digest what they just saw and interrupted.

Hyejin’s eyes moved to Jinki but he wasn’t looking at her, his eyes were on his father in dread, like a kid that was caught doing the most horrible thing and giving his father a disappointment of a lifetime.

Hyejin swallowed hard. He had to be accepted by his clan but what Jinki truly wanted all his life was to be accepted by his father and she might have just ruined it for him.

 
14t81v9.jpg
 
Hello ~
As always I'm so sorry for taking so long to update. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Things are starting to get serious.
Give me suggestions, your opinion. Comment, subscribe and upvote. Thank you! ^^