Eight: Slow Steps

Be Somebody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence.

Shift.

Eyes open.

Hyunji let her eyes adjust to the vision around the room and felt something on her hand. She looked to the side and saw Jaebum asleep has he held onto her hand while he sat on the chair looking uncomfortable. She felt her heart jump but nothing could compare to the feeling she felt in her stomach.

Hunger.

Just as she was about to wake up Jaebum, the door opened and saw Jinyoung carrying a tray with a white bowl and a glass of water. "You're awake!"

Jaebum shifted in his sleep and rubbed his eye with one hand. He saw Hyunji sitting up and looking at him. "How are you feeling?"

Before she could even answer, her stomach growled and she let out a laugh. "Does that answer your question?"

He smiled at her and Jinyoung placed the tray on her bed. "How do you feel after being asleep for two days."

Hyunji slowly picked up the spoon and grabbed some soup. "I feel alright."

The warmth of the soup went down giving it the nice sensation she was looking for. She slowly ate more before she knew it, it was gone and she wanted more. Before Jinyoung could leave to get some, she requested to go down stairs and eat some at the table.

Jaebum helped her get out of bed and supported her weight.

"I'm not a vase, Jaebum." Hyunji said as she grabbed the rail going down the steps slowly.

"Says the one, who jumped into the water during a strong storm." Jaebum chuckled at her.

"I didn't jump, I fell back. There's a difference." She backfired at him. "Who are they?"

Jaebum looked down and saw Youngjae, BamBam and Yugyeom playing video games with Mark. "Guys can you put that on pause for a moment."

Yugyeom had the main controller and paused the game. He stood up as so did the others. "Hello, I'm Kim Yugyeom."

He bowed at her.

Hyunji nodded and bowed back carefully. "Hello, I'm Hyunji."

"Youngjae." Bowed.

"Kunpimook, but you can call me BamBam." Bowed.

"You're name is interesting." Hyunji spoke as she looked at him.

"I'm from Thailand." he smiled showing his not so chubby cheeks he once had. "The only one how calls me by my name is my family and Haru, since she learned my name unlike these guys."

Mark chuckled and looked at Hyunji. "You look better, you got color on your face than you did a few days ago."

Hyunji smiled at him."Thanks, Mara took good care of me."

"Don't say that," Youngjae started smiling. "Jaebum was by your side more than Mara was. He only left the room when he needed food or a bathroom break."

Hyunji felt her heart kick and looked at Jaebum, who wasn't denying anything. He cleared his throat and looked at Mark. "Where is Jackson and Haru?"

"I think they were planning something." Yugyeom stated.

"Like what?" Jinyoung asked getting interested.

"I'm not sure, but I did see them talking to Mara as well." Yugyeom sat down and grabbed the controller to continue the game.

Jinyoung looked at Mark. "Do you know anything?"

Mark shook his head. "If I did, I would tell you."

Jinyoung looked down for a moment then went to the kitchen as Jaebum took Hyunji to get adjusted sitting at the table. She felt tired from just going down the stairs. But it was good to get out of the room. She could use some air.

Jinyoung placed the same bowl in front of her and she ate slowly.

"Jinyoung, this is great." Hyunji took a spoonful of the soup. "I forgot how much of a good cook you are."

Jinyoung smiled and opened his mouth to talk but got interrupted with the noise the boys were making in the living room.

"Sleeping Beauty decided to wake up from her two day nap." Haru came into the kitchen and went to Hyunji. "How are you?"

Hyunji hugged the girl and gave a small smile. "I'm alright, just good to get out of the room."

"That's good, just take it one step at a time." Haru let her go and stood up. She ignored the feeling that Jaebum and Jinyoung were looking at her. "I wish I could stay but I have a date with Jackson."

"Where are you going?" Hyunji asked tilting her head.

"Just out." was all Haru said

"I was hoping maybe we could talk later?"

Haru smiled and grabbed her hand giving it a squeeze. "I know but I'll leave the talking to Jaebum. You have much to discuss. I have to go now."

"Haru where are you going?" Her twin brother asked. "What are you and Jackson planning?"

Haru ignored him and looked at Hyunji one last time. "I can't keep Jackson waiting. He gets restless."

"Haru?" Jinyoung called out to her again but she only ignored him. He went after her but he wasn't getting any response.

Mara came downstairs and handed Hyunji her meds. "I managed to have these on me. They are good pain pills and will knock you out. But only take them for a few days. I'm giving you four. Just take one every two days."

"Thanks." Hyunji took them and placed them in her pocket. "I would like to get some fresh air."

"Sure." Jaebum stood up and helped her go outside to the back porch.

- - -

The sounds of the waves were refreshing but it didn't last too long when Hyunji closed her eyes and saw the other night in her mind. She flinched opening her eyes and started to tremble.

The moment she awoke, she had been lying to herself. She was trying to put on an act of feeling better but truthfully, she wasn't at all better. She was a mess and hated it.

She almost killed herself.

She fell into the water and wanted to end her life because of the death of her brother.

Tears were forming around her eyes and as she tried to blink them away, a few managed to escape and slide down her cheek. She was trying to be strong but she could only put up a fight for so long. She was left alone for a while so Jaebum could help Youngjae fix something dealing with the TV.

She put her knees up and hugged them close to her chest. She couldn't believe her life could have ended if it wasn't for Haru and Jackson.

Hyunji felt stupid and dumb for ever doing such a thing.

Jaebum had finished helping Youngjae fix the cord to the TV channels since BamBam and Yugyeom wanted to watch Running Man or find a new dra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter