Four: Memories of Numbness

Be Somebody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just one.

Just one plane ticket was all it took for Hyunji to get. She had some money saved from her allowance many years ago and she had it safe keeping for whatever she wanted it for. This was that day.

After the funeral, she couldn't stand being around depressing people. She had to get out. She managed to slip away from her parents and she felt someone following her and knew it had to be Jaebum.

He was trying to be her gum that sticks to a shoe but it wasn't working.

She was able to go to the restroom and change out of the long black dress and leave with a gray hoodie over her head and bag. It was the only way she would be able to leave.

The one place she would be able to be alone and clear her mind. The one place she loved with the most memorable place she always had fun with her brother during every summer.

- - -

Hyunji Age Six:

Jihun was running away from Jinyoung and Haru as they were playing touch. Hyunji was coming from inside the house as she took a quick break to get some water.

Jaebum was arriving later the day since his parents were at a meeting for work.

"Jihun!" Hyunji ran towards her brother catching up to the twins as they were laughing as they held each other's hands. When she passed the twins she caught up to her brother and suddenly tripped.

Haru stopped running and saw Hyunji on the ground who was about to cry. "Jihun, Hyunji fell down!"

Jihun turned and ran back to his little sister as tears were falling from her face. Jinyoung stayed by Haru's side as they only watch.

"Hyunji are you ok?" Jihun bent down to her level and checked the pink and red scrap on her left arm. "How did you fall down?"

Hyunji started to cry as she didn't answer him.

"Awh don't cry little sister." Jihun smile and used his thumb to whip her tears from falling. "I'll be right back."

Jinyoung and Haru walked carefully to Hyunji as she let a few more tears fall down. They didn't know what to do, just stare at their friend cry by the pain in her arm.

"Her shoes laces are undone."  Haru pointed for Jinyoung to see.

"Maybe that's how she fell down." he looked at her then at Hyunji.

Jihun came back with a first aid kit and sat down by his sister side. "Alright let's get this cleaned up and we can go inside and play a game."

"Jihun, her shoelaces are undone. Maybe that's how she fell." Haru spoke up and saw Jihun look at her shoes.

He smiled and then ruffled the little girls' hair. "Thanks, Haru. Hey why don't you guys go in and set up a game for us. I took a few out. Oh and Jaebum will be here in twenty minutes."

Haru and Jinyoung ran back inside the house with smiles on their face upon hearing the news knowing their cousin will be coming soon.

Jihun attended to Hyunji's scrap and carefully saw her flinch as the alcohol was on her skin and burning her skin to kill the infection. He blew on it so it wouldn't hurt as much and only heard her sniffling.

He next applied the hydrogen peroxide and Hyunji saw a few white spots bubble up. It was really killing the infection and he placed a band aid on her. "There you go, all done."

Hyunji sniffled as she kept her head down. "Thanks."

He laughed as ruffled her hair for being silly. He went to her shoes and tied them. "I will be here to tie your shoes, but one day you will have to learn on your own ok?"

She nodded her head and stayed quiet.

"I'm not mad Hyunji. You're my little sister, my job is to protect you and help you when you need help." Jihun stood up and held out his hand. "Come on, let's go in and play with the twins."

Hyunji looked up at her brother as her face brightened up. "Ok!"

- - -

Jeju Island.

"It's been a long time." Hyunji mumbled to herself as she was outside of the airport. It only took an hour but the flight felt shorter.

She grabbed herself a taxi and gave the driver directions to the condo that her parents owned. It was about a twenty minute drive from the airport to the condo. It was also near the beach.

The smell of the ocean air filled her nostrils as she rolled down the windows to get fresh air. The weather felt nice and relaxing. She closed her eyes as she heard the waves in a distance hitting the shore and the seagulls chirping as they flew around.

"Enjoy the weather right now Miss." the driver spoke as he was watching her in the mirror. "Tonight its suppose to rain and it will be heavy rain."

"Really?" Hyunji opened her eyes. "I guess it's not a total waste."

The driver gave a confused look and wanted to know what she meant but he didn't. It wasn't really his concern but he was curious. He continued driving and before either of them knew it, they arrived to the condo.

Hyunji got out and paid the driver. "Excuse me, before you go. Can you wait here and take me to a corner store so I can buy something?"

The driver smiled and gave her a nod.

Hyunji quickly went to the front door and looked at the five different flower pots, she found a plastic statue of a frog and picked up and held it upside down. It was one of the hiding spots for placing one key to enter the condo. There was another one but she didn't remember where.

She grabbed the key and placed the frog back down. She let herself in and placed her things by the door. She only grabbed her wallet and went back to the car.

- - -

Hyunji Age Twelve:

"I can't do this anymore!" Hyunji threw her pencil to the desk and crossed her arms on her chest. "I'll never get this problem. I'm already dumb at Math."

Jihun smiled as he saw his little sister frustrated solving a math problem at a high level of a freshman in high school. "Come on, try one more time."

"No! I hate how mom and dad making us study so hard to make sure were always passing and then make us learn more problems of high education. Why can't we just stay with the ones we are learning?" Hyunji let out a sigh trying to relax.

"I see you point, but they want the best for us in education and want us to learn at higher levels, that way when we enter the next grade it will be easy for us." Jihun patted her shoulder. He looked at his sister still frustrated and annoyed. He sighed and stood up from his chair. "Alright let's go."

Hyunji looked at him confused. "Where? Mom and dad will be mad if we left and didn't finish our homework."

Jihun grabbed his sister's hand and dragged her to the front door. "Mrs. Jo we will back in fifteen minutes."

Mrs. Jo was the maid that cooked and clean around the house for the Han's. She also had a daughter around Hyunji's age but they never had a chance to get together. The older woman nodded and continued with dinner.

Jihun and Hyunji were walking along the streets enjoying the cool fresh air. The season was early fall, even though it was hot during some days, during the evening it was cool and fresh. It was very enjoyable.

"So where are we going?" Hyunji looked at her brother as he put his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter