8. Endless Questions

the smile that ruined mine

'Ah!' as she felt a hard object bump into her body, throwing her down to the ground.

Before Jieun knew it, she had fainted.

 

What happened?

 

Jieun tried to move her hands and then her head, however it felt as if her whole body weighed tonnes. She stopped when she hear soft and blurred voices around her, but when she proceeded to look around, her neck felt unmoveable. 

 

Jieun's P.O.V

 

This can't be happening. This can't be happening. This can't be happening. 

I tried to recall what had happened however my memory was a blurry mess. Immediately I felt tears flowing down my cheeks and I started crying aloud. 

Thank goodness I could still speak. 

'Why is it so dark in here?'

I heard a few feet scattering to my area and suddenly I blanked out again. 

The next moment I woke up, my instincts told me that everything was wrong. 

Why was it still dark? Am I paralysed? 

'Hello?' I said as loud as I could although a pain lighted throughout my body when I tried to sit up straight. 

'Jieun-ah!' A voice in which recognized called out next to me then proceeded to wrap me in a hug, an action I couldn't returned. 

I smelled warm coffee and immediately I smiled in tears.

' Mum!' 

'My Darling! We-'

'Am I blind?' I called out without hesitation.  I felt my throat go dry and my mum froze under my touch. 'I can't see anything!' My voice cracked as tears urged to be released. 

'Mum?' 

I heard a deep, truly heartbreaking sigh and then a sob from my mum as she held my hand. 

 

'Mum?' I choked out again. The atmosphere changed in an instant, from a sense of joy to a painful realization. 

I turned my head - to the left, then to the right, then straight ahead. My vision wasn't just dim, it was dark - I saw no movement. 

I started panicking. My hands started to shake. 

'Deary....' my mum's voice faded. I sensed that she didn't know what to say.

'Please tell me....what happened?'

I felt my mum's two warm hands reach to mine. It wrapped around my fingers, trying to comfort me as much as possible. 

 

'You were bumped by a car while you were walking across the streets...at least that's what I heard,' her mother said softly. 'You don' remember?'

Instinctively I rubbed my head in confusion. My memories were blurry like a thick layer of fog. 

'I don't.'

'Thankfully, you were only bumped by the side of the car.' 

'So what is wrong with me?' I said in pleading voice.

'The doctor said that you have temporary blindness from the shock, your leg is injured but it would recover in a week and a bit at worse.' My mother paused before letting out another deep, sad sigh. 'Thank God you're going to be okay.'

She then hugged me and I couldn't help but smile amongst the tears that dripped slowly down my cheek and onto my mother's shirt. 

 

When she left, I couldn't describe what I was feeling. I was glad to know that none of my injuries were going to be permanent but I had alot of questions.

How long had I been asleep?

What day is it?

Who was the driver?

When will I see again?

How I recover as quickly as possible?

How was I going to do the practice exams?

What if I don't recover in time for my exams?

Was I going to get into uni?

What about Myungsoo?

How was he? 

 

I heard the door of my room creak open. I instinctively turned my head to the direction of the sound. 

'Hello?' I called out. 

Before I could comprehend what was happening, a set of warm and comforting arms wrapped around me - however I could tell that it was not my mother. And yet it still didn't feel foreign - I knew this person and it frustrated me to hell that I didn't know who it was.

My arms moved quicker than my mind as I quickly pushed the person away, my cheeks strangely blushing hard. I heard a thud, then silence. My ears were confused if that was possible, as I suddenly heard slight sobs and sniffs. 

'Who's that?' I called out. 

I imagined the person stood up as I heard a shuffle of feet. 

'Sorry it's me Myungsoo.' 

 

The moment I heard his voice, I started apologizing endlessly. I shifted nervously and tried to shake away the memory of him hugging me. It made sense though - I meant the reason that I started blushing. Then again, I was definitely embarassed. There I was considering him my best and possibly only friend in the world especially since I was child and yet I couldn't even recognized the way he walked or his hugs. 

 

'I'm sorry,' I said for the billionth time. 'I should have known.'

'No it's my fault, I shouldn't have hugged you.'

As creepy as this sounds, I have to say that I could already imagine his bright smile with his dimples showing. Man am I way too deep in this mistake. I felt even more guilty. 

'I was probably too emotional,' he continued. Which isn't actually surprising as he was always the one who was more connected with his emotinoal side. 

'Did you cry?' 

I shrugged. Another embarassing moment. How many do I need in front of my crush?

 

'What day is it?' I asked rather eagerly, intending to change the topic. 

'It's three days since that day.'

'Oh.' My thoughts immediately went back to that day - when they kissed. I shook my head.

'Something wrong?'

'No,' I immediately replied. 'Do you know how I can get better?'

'I'm no doctor.'

'True, you're just a wannabe vet,' I replied jokingly.

'Yeah yeah animal-allergic person, continue with that!'

'Come to think of it, do you know who the driver was?' 

'Let's not-' however before he managed to finish his sentence, he was interrupted by what I guessed was the door opening. 

'Speaking of the devil here he is....'

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES: 

HELLO EVERYONE I'M BACK! So I don't know about you, but I would say that it's been sometime that I've posted a story in a few days over a month - and I am quite pleased with myself :) 

Honestly I have to say that the story's previous genre of 'angst' might be changing, as it may be evident to you guys. I hope that doesn't disappoint you guys though. 

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for reading this story and I really appreciate the comments, they encourage to keep on writing! Well, till next time! ^-^