7. A Little Hurt

the smile that ruined mine

I blinked.

I blinked again.

I even rubbed my eyes but no my eyes weren't lying. 

My heart skipped a beat but not for the reason that you think of. 

I felt my hands slowly clench, my fingers tightening themselves in my palm. 

I could feel my blood running, my veins popping and eyes stinging.

 

They kissed.

 

I stepped back as if I had just seen a ghost. I proceeded to hide myself behind one of the thick poles holding one of the buildings, despite the fact that I wasn't even that close to them in distance.

I bit my lip and watched the two.

Okay I admit though, that I was exaggerrating about what had just happened. 

He did just kissed her on the cheek, but a kiss is still a kiss right?

 

Immediately without really realizing what I was doing, I started taking steps in the opposite direction from them - I was walking away. 

Somehow you could say that I was trying and maybe it was working, in accepting that maybe they were meant to be together. 

Before I knew it, I was in the toilet, in silence and in misery.

I am not one of those people who would cry whenever there was a chance, however this situation was hard to accept. My best friend was not only occupied with someone else, but now....it was impossible to even get back to our previous relationship. 

I realized that the reason I didn't mind not dating him before was because he was always beside me,  but not been able to spend time like before - it was hard. 

It felt cruel. 

 

Something wet dropped on my hands and I gasped at the lonely but genuine tear. I blew my nose and with my fingers crossed hopefully didn't look like a mess. 

Just then my phone rang. I drearily picked up. 

'Hello?' I said in a tired tone. 

'Jieun-ah it's me Myungsoo!'

Immediately I felt a lump in my throat and my mouth getting dry. 

I quickly cleared my throat before speaking with a fake tone of happiness. 'Oh hey!'

'We still meeting for lunch?'

'Uh....' I thought of the donuts that I had before and scrunched my fists when I remembered that despicable young man. 'Yeah no problem although my classmate l left a few minutes ago. He's the type of person that wants to get something and leave right after that.'

'As if you weren't like that yourself,' I heard him chuckle. 

A small smile appeared on my face - call me creepy but I felt so happy whenever he was happy.

I felt my heart tug in pain because I knew how I felt.

I didn't want to go.'

 

'Well we are going to have fried chicken.'

'Sounds good to me.'

'Meet us there in about twenty or so minutes. Text us!'

'Oh okay!' as I grimaced at my fakeness. 'See you!'

'See you later!'

 

The moment I hung up, I let out a deep loud sigh. 

This is so tiring.

Suddenly the image of the two kissing popped into my head.

I started banging my head on the wall. 

 

Is this how one-sided love really feels like?

 

When I got out of the bathroom and started heading for the exit I realized that I had no way of getting there, except public transport which wouldn't take less then thirty minutes. Again the thought of giving an excuse tempted me, but the wish to see him stopped me. 

You know you are crazy when for one person you are willing to do anything and everything even if it means that you are going to meet the person you probably hate the most in the world holding hands with the person you like (and opossibly love) the most in the world.

 

- NO ONE'S P.O.V -

 

Jieun got off the bus and started running to the fast food building,  she was already 20 minutes late and her heart was beating so fast that she felt as if she was going to suffocate. 

'Hey!' she waved the moment she saw her friend's head amidst the crowds of people. She smiled as her friend waved back however it immediately disappeared when she saw her. Reminding herself that she was here for lunch and nothing else, she continued walking confidently towards their table, leaving the bright beaming smile on her face though clearly only because of one person.

'You know you could have just said that you didn't have proper transport,' Myungsoo stated caringly. 'You could have just gone with us.' 

'That's okay. I needed to be alone to vent anyway,' Jieun replied casually though the way her mind was moving was anything but casual and simple. 

'Hey I don't think we have properly met, I am Kim Dasom nice to finally meet you.'

Jieun gave the brightest smile she could muster as she shook hands with the girl. Immediately she noted the firey eyes of her "opponent" and the firm grip in the handshake, her smile was genuine but it wasn't very bright.

*There is a reason why we never got along* Jieun thought. 

 

Although the handshake was only 3 seconds, a million things happened in that one act. But as usual, even if it was evident, the dense Kim Myungsoo would never see it. 

After this historical moment, the main flow of conversation was Myungsoo with small quips from Jieun and his girlfriend or just Myungsoo and Dasom. Even the food didn't make any difference. 

The moment Jieun finished eating, the urge to leave was her current greatest desire. Her hands constantly shifted and twisted objects with her fingers as she mentally tried to make a decision on what she should do. Her eyes were also shifting especially when the couple got to close to each other. She flinched each time she remembered what happened at Lotte World.

 

'Uh Myungsoo?' she said standing up. 'I'm afraid I have to head back.'

'Oh did something happen?' he immediately replied. 

Jieun quickly shook her head, 'No, I just remembered that....I have homework! Anyway practice exams are coming up so....See you at school!' 

Without waiting for a response from him, she then scurried off and headed directly to the bus stop. Her steps quickened with each step until she was running - all she wanted was to get out of this place and be back in her home no matter how empty or lonely she felt in the building.

 

'Ah!' as she felt a hard object bump into her body, throwing her down to the ground. 

Before Jieun knew it, she had fainted. 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTES: 

HELLO EVERYONE I'M BACK!

First official update since 2019 just like....happened! Scary how time flies!

I hope you enjoyed this new chapter although the quality is seriously lacking so much that even while I'm writing I just want to get it over and purposely not reread it so....my DEEPEST APOLOGIES FOR ANY MISTAKES ang POOR WRITING!

THANK YOU readers, subscribers, commentators and those other supporters who have encouraged me up till now! Till the next chapter!!!!