Waiting?

The Last Song

 

"Jin Hyung," Jungkook called out for the oldest hyung who sat still on the chair, staring at the documents blankly.

"Jin Hyung" he called out again but there was no response. Jungkook sighed and looked down as he silently walked out of the room.

Jin never thought this day would occur. Nobody did. Jin was never directly involved in the disputes but somehow, he was the one who got left behind.

With the contract in one hand and his bag in another, he walked to nowhere. His feet unknowingly led him to a bridge. A lonely bridge that stood against the sea. He adjusted himself on the thick railing as he gazed at the stars.

Out of nowhere, a soothing music seeps in. "Wide Awake Wide Awake Don't Cry" sings his ringtone and stops just as quickly when he answers it.

"Nae amma I'm at home... Ya I'm going to sleep now ok bye" Jin hastily cuts the call, not to forget lies too.

"Never lie to your mom," a female voice interrupts him. He turns to where the voice is coming from and finally realizes that he's not the only one on the bridge. The lady, seated not too for away from him, looked around mid 20s. Big eyes with minimal makeup gazed right at the stars as she talked to him.

"Ne?" The only thing that came out of his mouth. He was too blank to muster anything else.

"She deserves to know." She smiled as she finally looked at him and he finally got a clear look of her face. Her eyebrows caught the most attention. Sharp and Arched. Her glossy full lips were the second to capture his attention. Her oval face complimented her features well too.

Jin was not in the mood to talk. And he didn't. He just looked down, his mind was occupied with something more important and depressing.

"Want?" The lady asked as she placed her Pringles in between the two of them.

"Nope" Jin answered. One of the only times he said no to food. If any of the BTS members would have seen this now, they would have got the shock of their lives.

She shrugged as she grabbed more chips for herself. She didn't judge him for not talking. Most people would call him rude but she didn't. Reason? She was a regular at this place. This place was also known as Hannam Bridge. In the most lonely nights, people turned to this spot to get some fresh air but at the same time, sink in their loneliness. Everybody had their own reasons to visit this place. Even she had one. Even Jin had one. But she chose to fight it while he didn't. It was weird how she didn't care but cared about him at the same time.

"What's that?" She asked again as she pointed at the paper in his hand. It looked important especially because of the way he grabbed it. He grabbed it like his whole life was dependant on those papers. He clutched it as if he never wanted to let it go. Not because it was precious to him. Only because he wanted to tear it apart with his own hands rather than leaving the work to the sea.

"Agreement of my friendship." He finally answered but in the most ambiguous way ever. His voice sounded extremely deep for some reason. And his gaze was fixated on the contract.

"What?" Her gaze was fixated on him.

"I-It's a contract." He replied immediately. He could have just stopped answering or started lying but for some reason he just replied as it is.

"Contract on an agreement of your friendship?" She confirmed again. She was startled. This was the first time she had heard something as abnoxious as this.

"Yes. And it ended today." He said as he finally looked up at her. She was wondering when he'll break into a smile and state it was a joke. But he didn't.

"I didn't know friendships were based on contracts" She replied. She wasn't taunting him. She was genuinely stating a fact.

"Mine did." He replied in a calm voice.

"You sure about that?"

Jin paused for a moment as he looked at her. Did their friendship end because their contract ended? Generally it doesn't but in Bangtan's case, yup. It was an end.

"I realized today that everything is temporary." He changed the topic as he looked in the front.

"Yes. Bad things are temporary" followed her voice.

"I'm talking about good things. Good things are temporary." Jin argued.

"Not really. They leave you with memories. And those memories help you heal in your bad times." She argued back. The more negative he became, the more positivity she oozed back.

"Then why isn't it helping me now?" Jin whispered as he looked down.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing"

They fell into silence. The silence was an awkward one. She looked here and there to scavange for more topics to talk about whereas he just looked down, probably embarrassed upon realizing that he opened up to such an extent to a stranger.

"Good things come to those who wait" she repeated the line that was written on the railing as she traced her fingers over it.

The railings were embedded with lights from the inside and quotes on the outside. These quotes were a reminder of how great life is.

"It's stupid." Jin replied with a smug look on his face as he looked down at those big Korean letters. Honestly he was never the one to talk like that but some circumstances made him that way.

"Actually..." She said as she looked straight into his eyes, "Yes. Now that I think about it, it's quite stupid."

"Huh?" He somehow didn't like the answer. He thought she would argue and he was prepared for it. He was kind of growing fond of it.

"Waiting won't help. You need to go and grab it. That's the reality." She said as she smiled.

That hit him like a grenade. All along, he was waiting for good things. He was waiting for s to have a last minute change of mind. He was waiting for Producer Bang to convince them to rejoin. He was waiting for everything to be normal again. But what he didn't wait for was him having courage in himself to take a decision. To take a step forward. To say, "No I want to stay in Big Hit."
And now he realized exactly what he should have realized in the conference room itself. That's when he decided to renew his contract no matter what.

"By the way, I'm Jung Minji" she finally introduced herself as she interrupted his train of thoughts.

"Kim Seokjin" he said after a second as he was zoned out.

"By the way" Jin continues, "A person like you in a place like this?"

She smiles. "Somebody special introduced me to this place."

Jin looks into her eyes deeply. He hesitates but asks anyway, "Who?"

"My mom. She used to come here whenever she would be sad. And this time, its my turn to be sad" she says as she looks down and heaves a sigh. Her smile fades just as fast as it grows.

"Why are you sad?" Jin asks again, this time with much more confidence.
 

"It's her death anniversary."

____________

 

"Jin, eat" Minji, now his beloved wife, calls out for Jin as she extends her hand to his face to reveal a handful of french fries.

"I'm not hungry" Jin says, his eyes glued on his phone.

"You and not hungry?" Minji gasps as she tries to get his attention. And she fails, still not getting a reply from him.

"Jin" Minji folds her arms to her chest as she speaks again in a stern voice, "What's wrong?"

"What?"

"You're not hungry? I only hear this excuse when you're nervous." She says in a know-it-all tone. Well, she was right. She knew him too well.

Jin finally looks up from his mobile with a stunned expression on his face as if he was caught red handed. Jin was more than nervous. He was PETRIFIED. So much so that he wanted to flee away from this country as soon as possible.

"So tell me, why are you nervous?"