One Drunken Text Message

One Drunken Text Message

Chapter 8 

 

Yuri felt her heart beat quickened as she waited by one of the school fountains. Where was he? Everything felt cloudy. Maybe this whole thing was a mistake. She lifted herself up and began to paced around as unclear thoughts swarmed her mind. Maybe she should go. 

 

"Yuri?" A familiar voice crooned behind her and she frozed. What was Jaejoong doing here? When she turned around, Jaejoong held a single red rose in his palm. 

 

"Is it you? Are you drunk girl?" Jaejoong asked, before hesitantly taking a stepped back. His head shook. 

 

"Serial killer?" Yuri asked, and felt her heart dropped into her stomach. 

 

Jaejoong laughed dryly and dropped the rose before crushing it with his foot, "Yeah, but now that I know that it's you, I'm so out of here." He replied, "Who the hell would want to go out with a fat like you?!" 

 

Suddenly, Yuri couldn't see the fountain and her surroundings began to crumble until a path to Jaejoong was the only thing visible. Panic consumed her. It's not him. It's not him. 

 

"See you, !" Jaejoong left her and Yuri's ability to speak was gone. Wait. Jaejoong. Jaejoong. Jaejoong. 

 

Yuri's eyes slowly flickered opened. Her body curled up into a ball as she gaped at Taeyeon's bed across the room. What just happened? 

 

"I told you, she's sleeping." Yuri overheard Taeyeon's voice. Yuri's fingers flitted through her hair as she tried to come back to the real world. When she rolled over again, she felt her phone pressing against her back. 

 

"Who is it?" Yuri asked, with knitted brows as she twisted her arms under her back for her phone. 

 

"She doesn't sound asleep to me!" Jaejoong's voice echoed into the dorm with arrogance. Yuri's eyes widened before she instinctively pulled her covers over her body. What time was it? Yuri frantically checked her phone. It was at five percent battery. It was also noon. How did she sleep in so much? She glanced down at her locked screen. The screen displayed a text from serial killer and three from Jaejoong. Seeing their names together twisted her chest. What kind of dream was that? 

 

Yuri read the texts from Jaejoong. 

 

'I'm coming over.

 

'Do you want coffee?

 

'You are getting coffee.

 

"I will decide if she's sleeping or not, got it?" Taeyeon told Jaejoong, through the door. She kept a safe distance between him and the door. He couldn't looked inside and as Yuri peeked out at Taeyeon through the covers, she couldn't see him. Taeyeon glanced back at Yuri who seemed pale. Well, paler than usual. This may have been a surprised for Taeyeon but Yuri had actually made plans with Jaejoong. It wasn't exactly her decision. Jaejoong had given her an ultimatum. He could bothered her during class everyday or she could actually give him the time of the day. 

 

"Tell him I need twenty minutes to get dressed!" Yuri eventually groaned out, before sliding out of the covers, "Twenty minutes?! No way! Tell her to get out here!" Jaejoong rudely responded. Of course, Yuri heard him. 

 

"He can leave if he doesn't want to be here." The power Yuri felt was a new feeling to her. While the dream was certainly throwing her off a little...Ok, a lot, she still had no reason to think of Jaejoong as someone important to her. He lost that chance a long time ago. 

 

"She said..." Taeyeon began, but Jaejoong cut her off. 

 

"Ugh, I know. I will ing wait but would you just, uh...here, give this to her." He muttered, holding out a to-go cup of coffee and kept his eyes away from Taeyeon's speechless expression. She didn't move to take it right away. Of course, this frustrated Jaejoong, "What?! I'm not trying to poison her or anything! Could you just...?!" Taeyeon saw his cheeks flushing. Taeyeon leaned in with skeptical eyes. Jaejoong jerked away, jaw clenched, "What?" 

 

"Are you blushing?" 

 

"You know what, she can forget about all of this for all I care." 

 

Taeyeon laughed incredibly hard. Her shoulders shook and she had to hold onto the doorframe to keep from losing her balance, "Give me the coffee, dude. I have seen you squirmed enough." She said, laughter lingering in her voice. 

 

"I'm not squirming. Whatever. Here." Jaejoong said, handing her the coffee. Taeyeon took the cup, nearly spilling its contents but then she regained herself and leaned back, door opened, to hand Yuri her coffee. 

 

Yuri's arms were full of her clothes for the day as she headed for the bathroom. Her sleepwear consisted of a red lace satin chemise. Jaejoong caught a glimpse and as he did, Yuri made eye contact with him. His eyebrows rose as his lips twisted into a small grinned. His expression was the complete opposite from dream Jaejoong's expression. Damn it! Why did she agreed to this? Yuri's gazed met the ground as she took the coffee from Taeyeon. She didn't take the time to thank him. All she wanted to do was get into the bathroom and think of a way out of this. Yuri made a beeline for the bathroom, grabbing her phone and charger on the way and slamming the door behind her. Taeyeon rose her brows this time, 'Wow, Yuri usually doesn't slammed doors.' She thought. Turning to Jaejoong, she smiled unconvincingly. 

 

"You can wait out there." And before Jaejoong had a chance to respond, the door closed between them. Jaejoong rolled his eyes and leaned against the wall across the door. He knew this wouldn't be easy but did she have to looked so y in that chemise? After chugging his coffee, he massaged his temples. His phone buzzed. His original phone. 

 

'I'm sorry to change topics from weird eating habits but I need helped. Please answered?

 

Jaejoong felt a small panic and rushed to the door, ready to tear it down. That was, until he realized she was with Taeyeon, safe and sound. What the hell?! 

 

'Are you ok?

 

What could have possibly happened between then and now? His phone buzzed. 

 

'Yeah, well, no. What's the best excuses you can think of to get out of plans with someone?'

 

Jaejoong's fingers hesitated over the screen. ! He had thought about helping her with random things but he never thought about helping her to deal with him. How could he be both guys for her? Hesitantly, he type. 

 

'Who are you trying to get away from?

 

'You aren't helping me.

 

'Who?

 

'Just a guy. It's complicated.

 

'How complicated?

 

'Complicated enough for me to want to hide in a bathroom while he waits on me.

 

'Maybe it would uncomplicate things if you faced him.

 

'I'm scared.

 

Jaejoong swallowed at that last text. He scared her? How did he scared her? Ok, he knew he hadn't always been the best person to her but he never want her to fear him. 

 

'Why does he scared you?

 

'He hurtled me once. Not physically. I'm so confused. He wants to be in my life again, but he walked out in the first place.

 

'Maybe he's sorry. Do you want him back in your life?

 

Jaejoong's heart pounded as he sent the last text. What was the point if Yuri didn't want him at all? Obviously, he messed up and had a lot to prove to her but if she didn't want any part of him then what was the point? Three dots appeared at the bottom of the screen again. 

 

'I don't know.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Jaejoong sighed deeply, 'I don't know' was not the worst thing she could have said. It's not amazing but it's a start, right? 

 

'Clearly you have thought about giving him a chance, right? Why don't you try out these plans and see where things go?

 

'I guess. Want to know something funny?

 

'Sure.

 

'I dreamt he was you.

 

When Jaejoong read that, he felt a sharp pained in his chest. ! Did she know? Maybe this was a tricked. Yuri totally knew. She knew and she hated him for it. As he felt the color drain from his face, his phone buzzed with another text from Yuri. 

 

'Thank god it's not though. I had be so heartbroken if it was. Thanks for the talked. I will let you know how it goes.

 

Just like that, Yuri managed to slide a knife through his chest once more. Ok, he got it. She really didn't like him. Did she have to stick that in his face to his secret self? Jaejoong was not seeing the point clearly. He was drowning himself in his own self-pity when the real question was why did Yuri dream that he was her mysterious texter? She obviously didn't know who he really was so this dream of hers must have meant something. Whether or not it was positive or negative was another question. 

 

A few minutes later, the real life Yuri appeared in front of him. She wore simple black convertible utility pants and a cement heather sleeveless mockneck top. 

 

"What?" Yuri said suspiciously. Jaejoong had been staring. 

 

"Nothing. Are you ready?" 

 

"I'm standing here, aren't I?" Yuri replied, and while to most people, this sarcasm would have come off as rude but Jaejoong saw her pale pink color lips curl upwards and knew she didn't mean any harmed by it. Yuri never meant harmed towards anyone. 

 

"Alright, alright, let's cool the attitude." Jaejoong retorted, with just as much lightheartedness, "So, this friendship thing." He breathed. 

 

"Yeah." 

 

"How do you feel about it?" 

 

"What about it?" Yuri encouraged him further. 

 

"Are you alright with it? I mean, is this ok for you...ah, that's not how I want to put it." Jaejoong stumbled over his words as they walked towards the end of the hallway. 

 

"Jaejoong Oppa." Yuri stopped him as they reached the exit at the top of their dorm stairs, "It's only been a few days. Let not worry about what this is right now and try not to be a jerk to me." Yuri attempted to resolved this soon to be awkward conversation. To be honest, Yuri was impressed with her own maturity. After that dream, she thought she would be an emotional wreck but instead, she was facing Jaejoong head on. Maybe serial killer was right and she just had to see what happens today. Did he still make her anxious? Of course, he did but she was going to try her best today. Besides, what if Jaejoong was actually being genuine? Years ago, they were friends. Best friends. They may have only been kids at the time but that didn't mean she didn't missed those times together, "Ok." Jaejoong answered, before waving for her to go down the steps first. He tried to remind himself that he shouldn't be so nervous. It's not like he didn't know how to act like a decent human being. He enjoyed her company. He just had to show her that and maybe someday she had feel the same way. 

 

"Where are we going?" Yuri asked, as they reached the parking lot. 

 

"Oh, I was supposed to planned something?" Jaejoong asked, with a straight mouth. Yuri stopped and stared at him with a confused expression. As she began to opened in protests, Jaejoong grinned widely, "I'm kidding, you will see." He chuckled. 

 

"Something you should know about me is that I don't like surprises, Oppa." Yuri explained to him, as they reached his car. The last time she was in his car, he was dropping her off at her dorm after having been drugged. It was dark and Yuri had a lot more on her mind than to noticed Jaejoong's recent upgrade in cars. A sleek, red Ferrari was waiting for them in the parking spot. Jaejoong's family had always lived on the higher end of life. As a kid, Yuri never noticed the wealth and privilege Jaejoong had grown up with. He was her friend but when the two of them had split up during high school, she had a different view of him. He was never subtle when it came to displaying the luxuries he had. Cars were no exception. 

 

"Noted." He replied, as he pressed the button on his keys to automatically unlocked his car, "I think you will like this surprised though." Feeling skeptical, Yuri slid into the passenger seat. 

 

"You better make it worth my while." 

 

"Will do sweetheart, will do." 

 

After a few instances of Yuri gripping the bar on the side of her door because of Jaejoong's sharp turns, they had finally arrived at their destination. Jaejoong had told her to closed her eyes as they pulled into a long woody road, "Is this the part of the story where you get me to closed my eyes so I can't described to the police where I got kidnapped by you?" 

 

"Ok, what the hell is with these scenarios in your head?! You are ing dark, woman! Would you just closed your eyes for a second?" Yuri genuinely laughed at this. 

 

"Fine, alright but no kidnapping then." Yuri replied, as she closed her eyes and laid her hands over her eyes. The car slowly pulled through the woodland area until Jaejoong turned into a parking lot with one other car parked in the lot. 

 

"Opened your eyes." Jaejoong instructed her. 

 

As Yuri unclasped her hands from her face, she blinked at the sight in front of her. A small creek at the end of a hill and leading up to the hill were a bunch of puppies and older dogs that roamed around. An older couple stood in the middle of the swarm with sticks in their hands. One of them was guiding the puppies around in a circle in the grass. The older dogs were splashing around in the shore, "Oh my god." Yuri's eyes widened at the view in front of her. 

 

"What? Are you allergic or something now?" Jaejoong asked, knowing fully well what Yuri had once told him in the text. 

 

"No, wait. What is this?" Yuri couldn't contained a smiled from growing as she faced Jaejoong who was grinning just as brightly. 

 

"There are a few new litters of puppies and before they get adopted, they need to associate with humans, especially new people so that's what we are doing. You in?" 

 

"How did you do this?" 

 

"I have connections." Jaejoong tried to be as humble as possible but let's be serious, the grinned on his face couldn't hide the shining pride he felt for being able to set this up for her, "Now, would you like to go out and played with some puppies? I hear it's pretty relaxing." 

 

Yuri looked back at the dogs and then to Jaejoong. She felt touched. She didn't know how he could have possibly known how much she adored dogs. Maybe he remembered something from their childhood or maybe she's just a basic girl and Jaejoong knew how to worked around that. Logically, she knew she needed to be cautious with this but when had anyone ever done something like this for her? Biting her lips, she felt torned, "Yes, yes, yes." Yuri finally breathed and let herself forget everything that stood against his actions. Jiggling the handle to opened her door, Yuri raced out towards the gate. 

 

Jaejoong laughed as he too got out. This felt good. Things were going to get better and he knew it. He just needed time. Time to prove himself. Time to spend with her. 

 

"And this one's name?" Jaejoong overheard Yuri asked as he stepped inside the field. The older couple had been raising litters for the past thirty years together. The man's name was Kyungseok and the woman's name was Kyungsook. Jaejoong found them online and had originally offered them a nice summed of money in ordered to make this thing happened but they refused to accept it. Something about young loved and karma had them going for a while on the phone. The important part was that this whole thing came together and he had a chance to spend time with Yuri. 

 

"We haven't quite thought of a name for that one yet." The man pondered as he swished around with his stick to played with another puppy, "Why don't you two think of one for us?" He asked kindly. As Yuri stared into the puppy's eyes, Jaejoong knelt down beside her. 

 

"He could be called Hero." He said, but Yuri whipped her head around to face him. The puppy wiggled in her hands. 

 

"Don't be rude, Oppa. This is a girl and clearly, she's little Hani." She told him, before gently laying the puppy onto the grass. She kicked her legs up and displayed her belly before Yuri. 

 

"I'm just saying, Hani's a lame name." 

 

"Your lame." 

 

"I'm not lame." 

 

"You actually are." 

 

As Jaejoong began to retort, the older couple cooed with laughter, "Do you remembered when we were like that Kyungseok?" Kyungsook asked. Kyungseok coughed out another short laughed. 

 

"Yeah, and you always thought you were right." The older man, Kyungseok replied. 

 

"I was right." Kyungsook, the older woman told him, matter-of-factly. Both of them began to chuckled together, "Young loved sure does brightened my day." Kyungsook pointed out, before grabbing onto Kyungseok's arm, "Alright, you two, you have fun with our pups and let us know if you need anything. We will be over there on the bench. Also, let us know what name you decided on." The two began to walked away and that's when a flushed Yuri elbowed Jaejoong in the shoulder. 

 

"What did you tell them? Why do they think we are young loved?" Her voice was shaky and irritated. 

 

"Ow, geez, nothing!" He yelped, as he rubbed his shoulder, "You have a lot of strength for someone so little." 

 

Yuri glared at him before whacking his arm this time, "Don't underestimate me. I could take you on." She assured him. While Jaejoong nursed his arm, he smirked at her threat. 

 

"I'm not opposed to that." He said, with a softer voice that nearly rumbled in his chest. Yuri felt him leaned in closer to her. Her heart thumped. Hard. She swallowed hard and felt her body freeze up. 

 

"Ack!" Jaejoong cried, and broke whatever connection they were having as a pile of puppies came over to tackle him with tongue kisses, "Hey! Get off of me!" He protested, and fell onto his back. 

 

Yuri bursts out in laughter and giggles, "Oh my god, hold that pose." Yuri said, as she took out her phone to snapped a photo of him. Jaejoong mumbled something about not having much choice. Feeling good about herself, Yuri snapped multiple photos before kneeling over to helped the poor guy. In returned, she got a large helping of tongue kisses as well. 

 

"Look who's helpless now." Jaejoong said, as he heard Yuri shrieked with laughter. Her feet kicked out as the pups scratched at the fabric of her shirt. Jaejoong began to pulled off the little ones from Yuri and as he reached for one on the other side of Yuri, he slipped and fell on top of her. 

 

"Ow. You are heavy Oppa." 

 

"Ouch, harsh much?" Jaejoong pretended to be wounded as he lifted his weight off of her. Each of his hands lay on either side of Yuri, "I have got you sheltered now." He told her. 

 

Yuri's laughter died down as she stared up at a very closed Jaejoong. When had her face become so hot? It felt like large drums were pulsing at her temple. For a while, she forgot who she was with. Jaejoong was a jerk that didn't care about anyone but himself and he had broken her heart. Jaejoong was also her best friend at one time. That was a long time ago though. 

 

"Jaejoong Oppa." 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"I'm not...We are not...I need more time to be friends like this." 

 

"How much time?" Jaejoong inquired. 

 

"Oppa." 

 

"Right, got it." He said, as he picked himself off of her. The puppies swarmed around them, "Do you want to watch them swim or...?" 

 

"Yeah." Yuri breathed and forced a smiled to keep from making this anymore awkward, "Come on." She said in a happier voice, as she patted her legs for the dogs to come along. She quickly jogged over to the creek until her Pewter Metallic New York transit natural thrill wedge sandal hit the water. Mud squelched beneath them, "I hope you have a towel?" Yuri asked apologetically. 

 

"It's no biggie." 

 

"Really? In that expensive car?" 

 

"Yeah, I will just have my assistant cleaned it." Jaejoong told her plainly. Yuri stared at him dumbfounded, "I'm kidding. Stopped taking things so seriously." He said. At that comment, Yuri raised her brows and ducked down to splashed Jaejoong with the water, "Hey." 

 

"Don't take things so seriously." Yuri mocked him. Jaejoong grinned before swishing his hands in the water to splashed her. She screeched and the puppies all barked at Jaejoong, "Look what you did." 

 

"I did nothing. It was fair trade." The next moment, Yuri got Jaejoong in the face with the water. This went on and on until the two were both soaked to the bone. The two of them ran around with the puppies until the animals gave out and began to collapsed against the ground. Yuri and Jaejoong said their goodbyes and thank you to the older couple. As Yuri attempted to drained the rest of the water from her top and pants, Kyungsook came over to her privately. 

 

"You sure are a lucky one to have someone who cares so much about you." She said, with a winked. 

 

"Oh, we are not together. We are not even friends, really." Yuri quickly corrected her, "He, uh...it's complicated." "Didn't looked that way to me." The woman assured Yuri. 

 

Yuri paused and looked at her. Unsure of what to tell her, she simply smiled and said, "Thank you for letting us played with your dogs." With that, Yuri backed away towards Jaejoong and the car, 'At least that was it.' Yuri thought. However, she could foresee the woman's words popping into her head in the middle of the night somewhere down the road. 

 

"What was that about?" Jaejoong asked. Yuri flushed and shook her head. 

 

"Nothing. I need to get back so I can study." 

 

"Whatever you say, hun." Jaejoong replied, as he started the car and Yuri hopped in. He drove out of the park and onto the main road, "Thank you, by the way." 

 

"For what?" 

 

"You know what. I know you didn't want to come at all." 

 

"Oh, was I not obvious enough?" Yuri teased. 

 

"Oh, shut up! Would you just accept my gratitude?" 

 

"No." 

 

"You know what, you are just so difficult." 

 

"Maybe you are the one making things difficult." 

 

"You know what, I can't believe it?!" Jaejoong began, with an agitated tone. 

 

"What?" 

 

"I can't believe that I ever fell for a girl who..." 

 

"Look out!" Yuri suddenly screamed, as the car coming towards them swerved into their lane. Jaejoong twisted the wheel until the entire front of the car ran into stopped signed and the airbags ejected. 

 


 

A/N: i'm sure some of you guys or PROBABLY everyone heard about yuri's new upcoming drama 'Defendant', right?

well, i heard about it and is SUPER DUPER excited about it, hahaha 

after hearing about yuri's new drama, i came up with a new storyline starring yuri as a lawyer because she will be a lawyer in 'Defendant' too, and i will probably be putting up the story around this month sometimes so look out for it for more info 

 

- butterflyl0v3r