Chapter:4

Broken

Mark closed his eyes ready to jump into the freezing water. Just as he was about to end his life , a warm hand held his own preventing him from doing so. The grip in his hand wasn't tight enough but the warmth in them made him stop . He climbed down and turned to the stranger. Standing in front of him was an elderly looking lady in her mid 60's a frown evident on her face.

" Young man, what do you think you were doing ?" she studied Mark from head to toe .

Mark stood silent, what else could he do ? 

" Aren't you too young  to end your life?" Knowing that Mark wasn't going to speak she continued on speaking . 

" Did you get into a fight with parents or you feel guilty for someone or did you_____"

" I am gay and my parents disowned me " Mark cut her off . He knew she would leave him alone now . To his surprise the lady engulfed him into a warm hug patting his back lovingly. What was she doing did she heard him right ? She was hugging him like he was about to dissapear into thin air. Breaking the hug she looked Mark with caring eyes.

" Poor soul, how can people be so cruel to a little boy ." Mark would have protested he was being called little but this situation was so confusing for him.

" Move in with me to my house" the old lady requested him. If Mark was surprised first then his eyes were now wide with disbelief and confusion , this lady must have misheard him.

" Sorry , but did you hear me right , I said I am gay " Mark raised his voice a little so she could hear him clearly and he was sure she heard him right this time.

 She rolled her eyes at him. " You confessed it earlier didn't you? And I am not disgust with you , are you moving in with me or not ?"

Mark must be imagining this , he was so lonely that his mind made an imaginary lady. He slapped himself on cheeks, a habit he had learnt from Jackson . The lady chuckled and he knew she was as real as him. Should he take the offer of the stranger? What if she is a criminal , what if she murdered him at night? So irony that he was going to commit suicide a few moments ago and now he was afraid he will be murdered. Though this old  lady didn't look like a criminal how could he trust a stranger. Haven't you heard stranger danger ?'

" Why are you being so nice to me ? You don't even know me ." Mark asked in a low voice but enough for the old lady to hear.

 " I will tell you as soon as we reach home." she assured Mark smiling at him.

The smile was so genuine that Mark didn't have heart to reject her. What could go wrong than his situation right now. The lady was too kind to offer him a place to stay and he was in no situation to held onto his ego.

" I will go "  Hearing that the lady clapped her hands smiling . She was well ______ werid. 

" That's good young lad. By the way what's your name ?"

" Mark , my name is Mark Tuan."

She nodded in acknowledgment and introduced herself.

" My name is Rose, but you can call me nanny."

Mark nooded his head. Despite her old age she was energetic and funny . He was so grateful for her kindness that tears brimmed on corner of his eyes. She gestured Mark to carry his luggage which was surprisingly still there and led him to her house talking non stop on the way. Mark just nooded assuring her that he was listening.

After five minutes walk, they stopped in front of a small house. It was small but also pretty looking. Rose inserted the key in keyhole unlocking the door. Mark followed her inside. The living room was average looking. He dropped his luggage on the side. 

Rose made him sit on cozy looking sofa and Mark scanned the room. " Do you live here alone?" he asked.

" Ya. After the death of my son and his family, I live alone" her eyes looked gloomy.

" Oh. I am sorry, I shouldn't have asked that question." Mark felt sorry for her.

" No no it's okay. You were just curious " 

She asked Mark to get fresh and showed him a small bathroom . He unlocked the zipper of his luggage and took out jeans and t-shirt . Grabbing the towel offered by Rose he entered the bathroom. He watched  himself in mirror and was scared by his own reflection. He looked like a ghost with messy hair, tattered clothes and red puffy eyes. Sighing under his breath he ran the tap.

*******

After he was finished showering and changing into fresh clothes he reentered the room to find his luggage gone. Rose came in view and said she had kept his things on bedroom and told him to join her for dinner. Mark entered the kitchen and she served him and herself homemade food. As soon as the food touched his tastebuds, they exploded with so much flavors that he finshed whole plate within a minute. Rose chuckled at him and he blushed . She couldn't handle his cuteness and pinched his cheeks making them appear rosy red. For once Mark felt like he was home. He was getting so much care and love from a stranger that he carved from his own. Life is so strange, the one you trust mistrusts you and things you have never expected surely happens. After helping Rose with dishes , he was led to a cozy looking bedroom. A queen sized bed was inviting him to lay down. He scanned the surrounding and his eyes landed on a picture of a very cute looking teenage boy. Following the gaze of Mark, Rose spoke.

" That was my grandson. He committed suicide." 

Mark turned his attention to her . She sat on the edge of bed patting her side for Mark to sit . After he sat she continued.

" He was such a pretty boy like you and we were so attached to each other. He loved to visit me here especially he enjoyed my home made food. One day he called me to visit his home , crying on phone,he sounded desperate , I immediately called a cab and went there. His mom, dad and he himself were sitting there and as soon as he saw me he was a little relieved. He said he had to confess something. I could see he was nervous as his plams were sweating. And he confessed that he was gay. My son, his father was a homophobe and he slapped him , throwing insults and kicking him out of his house. I was too coward to do anything. I can still remember his tear stained face, his eyes looking at me with such hurtful expression that broke my heart into pieces. He left us. I had hoped that he would come to me but he didn't. After three days and he still hadn't returned so I asked police for help. They found him but it was already too late. He had slit his wrist with broken glass bleeding him to death. Police brought me to show his body lying cold and still. His eyes were open but dull and they were saying me that I had betrayed him, that I was the cause of his death. " Tears glistened in her eyes.

" I have been living with this guilt for years now. And when I saw you about to end your life , I saw the reflection of him in you. I couldn't save him but I could save you. Maybe today he is smiling at me proud of my actions. I can see the image of Grace in you Mark so I asked you to stay with me. I felt like I found my lost grandson when I saw you." 

She cried painfully and Mark's heart clenched painfully inside his chest. He engulfed her in his arms like she had before .

" It's okay nanny, it's not your fault that he died. " He clamed her down rubbing circles on her back. And they stayed like that Rose feeling like she had found her grandson back and Mark feeling like he found love he was carving for.

A new future was now waiting for Mark.

__________________________**********_____________________________

Me: Nanny, I want some of  your homemade food too.

Nanny : * Ignores me and continues feeding Mark*

Me: * sits in corner and cries* 😭

********

Isn't nanny the best??? She saved Mark. Thank you!!! 

How was this chapter??? Feel free to comment and thank you for reading . I love you all 💜 💜 💜 💜 

 MARKSON OR NEVER !!!!!