Fate

Until You're Mine Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo was glaring at Baekhyun.

 

This was nothing new. Baekhyun would swear that Kyungsoo’s permanent facial expression was, in fact, a glare. However, it felt like he was glaring more than usual, somehow. It made Baekhyun only slightly uncomfortable. Especially when the thought of Kyungsoo’s ancestral line of vampire hunters crossed his mind.

 

Baekhyun accepted a cup of coffee from Yixing as he sat at the dining table, across from Chanyeol. Chanyeol didn’t even look up from his newspaper, instead he smiled in acknowledgement of Baekhyun’s presence and then went back to a sullen expression as his eyes darted back and forth across the paper.

 

Kyungsoo was still glaring.

 

“Good morning,” Baekhyun awkwardly greeted as he cleared his throat.

 

“I’m going to work.” Kyungsoo muttered, scraping his chair against the floor as he walked away.

 

Even when Kyungsoo was back on to him, Baekhyun could somehow feel him glaring into his soul. He shuddered at the thought.

 

“What was that about?” Baekhyun asked, looking over at Chanyeol who had finally put the newspaper down.

 

“I couldn’t sleep last night.” Chanyeol shrugged, “Kyungsoo may have been a victim of my tossing and turning.”

 

Baekhyun took a sip of his coffee, “And, uh, why was he glaring daggers at me like he’s going to kill me in my sleep?”

 

“Oh!” Chanyeol chuckled, “Yeah, I kept having visions of your day.”

 

“That,” Baekhyun sighed, “That explains a lot.” he leaned back and rubbed his temples, “Anything I should I know?”

 

“You don’t like when I pry.” Chanyeol grinned, “Take the ‘91 file with you today. You might need it for class.”

 

“Minseok already knows…” Baekhyun squinted, “This isn’t about Minseok, is it?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged and picked up the newspaper, staring at the crossword puzzle.

 

“4 letter word: It’s written in the stars.”

 

Baekhyun groaned, “Fate.”

 

***

 

Luhan had not slept a wink. He’d been up all night long fretting over the whereabouts of Minseok and wondering what he could have done differently to keep things from going the way that they did. In a matter of moments, his entire life had fallen apart, and he had no one to blame, but himself.

 

If only he had been honest from the very beginning. If only he had gained Minseok’s trust as a vampire instead of ruining everything they had together. If only he hadn’t let Minseok believe a lie for the last few years of his life. If only.

 

If only…

 

Sunshine began to filter in through the curtains of the dormroom. It was a new day, but Luhan was still living through the motions of his night.

 

Perhaps the worst of things would be over. Minseok knew the big secret now. There was nothing else that Luhan was hiding from him. Though, he’d be a fool to think that it would all simply blow over.

 

Obviously, things had changed.

 

Whether or not this was good or bad had yet to be determined.

 

That emptiness filling Luhan’s chest was leaning towards bad. How could their relationship bounce back from this? Luhan’s thoughts were spinning in his head and he couldn’t make sense of any of them at all.

 

Luhan’s feelings muddled with betrayal, Minseok’s reincarnation, Baekhyun’s mere existence, Yifan’s potential dark secret, and the face of a man named Zhang Yixing became incredibly convoluted the more he thought about it.

 

Somehow, Professor Byun Baekhyun had been a catalyst that triggered Minseok’s awakening. That was what had caused this mess and that was what Luhan was going to need to confront. He just needed to talk to that man and find out why his own life had been thrown off balance.

 

***

 

“Rise and shine.” Jongin hummed, sitting on the edge of the couch where Minseok slept.

 

Minseok opened one eye and squinted into the daylight at Jongin’s general figure. He closed his eye again and turned away, shoving his face into the couch cushions.

 

Jongin snorted with a small laugh. He’d let Minseok sleep a little longer. Besides, he knew the best way to get Minseok to wake up on his own.

 

It was the sound of the espresso maker and the scent of bitter coffee that drew Minseok from his slumber. He sat up, rubbed his eyes, and then sighed. His back ached, but he was determined to get a cup of that coffee.

 

“Typical,” Sehun mused, looking up from the newspaper in his hands, “Coffee addict.”

 

Minseok shrugged, “Can’t deny that.”

 

“Morning,” Jongin chuckled, placing the porcelain cup down on the counter in front of Minseok, “Sleep alright?”

 

“As alright as anyone does when sleeping on a couch.” Minseok joked, wrapping his hands around the cup to warm them. “Thank you for letting me spend the night.”

 

“You’re always welcome here.” Jongin offered a smile and Sehun nodded along.

 

“Thanks,” Minseok smiled and brought the cup up to his face just to smell the coffee; it was way too hot to drink yet, but even just the scent made his sore back feel a little better.

 

As Sehun and Jongin began to get ready for a day of work, Minseok tried to tidy himself up in the bathroom. He washed his face in the sink and wiped it down with a soft towel. When he looked up, he came face to face with his own reflection. He looked tired. His eyes were red and there were dark circles underneath them for days. Even his cheeks appeared a bit puffy from all the crying he’d done.

 

Minsoek sighed. Today would be business as usual. Research in the library,  writing in his thesis room, and then his evening vampire studies class. Where he’d see Luhan. Who was a vampire.

 

The thing was that Minseok didn’t particularly take issue with vampires anymore. Sure, he still felt nervous around a few here and there, but that was residual fear from his current life. Before now, in another time, the love of his life was a vampire. His best friends were vampires then and now. What had he left to fear of vampires?

 

Suddenly, an image of blood stained snow flashed in Minseok’s mind and startled him. He gripped the edge of the sink and stared hard and long into his reflection. His stomach lurched with nausea.

 

Why couldn’t he remember why he was afraid of vampires in this lifetime?

 

A dull throbbing began in temples and dizziness washed over him. The edges of his vision blurred and darkened as he felt the world slowly beginning to fade away. Then everything went black.

 

When Minseok opened his eyes again, things were still a bit fuzzy. He blinked at the bright light of a lightbulb hanging from a white ceiling. What the hell happened?

 

Minseok turned his head only to see a toilet to his side. Right. He’d passed out in the bathroom.

 

He groaned and tried to sit up, his head was throbbing now even harder than before. Except the pain had moved from his temples and into the back of his head where he’d smacked it off the tiles on the floor. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter