War

Until You're Mine Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was late. Luhan had been out all evening with Yifan, researching the ability of a vampire to be reincarnated at the public library until closing time about an hour ago. They stopped for a drink on the way back to the dorms before Yifan decided to pick up an extra shift, leaving Luhan to walk back on his own.

 

This wasn’t a problem for Luhan - he might keep up the charade of being a human, but he was a vampire capable of protecting himself. Not that he often needed to, but in the event he did, he’d be fine.

 

Somewhere in the distance, Luhan could hear the ringing of the church bells. By the twelfth chime, Luhan realized just how late he had stayed out. Yet, he was still no closer to finding the truth. All of those hours spent and nothing. He wouldn’t give up, he was too stubborn for that.

 

As he walked along the pavement of the road, he noticed a couple standing in the distance. Luhan could care less about a romantic tryst in the middle of the night - he’d had plenty of those himself, especially in his first year. However, he couldn’t forgive that they were standing right in front of the path to the dormitories. Now, when he had to squeeze by, it would be incredibly awkward. He grimaced at the thought.

 

He was getting closer to the embracing couple when the wind picked up and carried a familiar scent with it. Luhan froze. He dared not take a single step closer, because if he did, he wasn’t sure what he would do.

 

The scent of Kim Minseok lingered. Except that this was not what made Luhan grit his teeth in frustration. No, it was the scent of stale books and pen ink that got him. It was the scent of Professor Byun.

 

Luhan watched as Professor Byun and Minseok parted from one another. It took all of his willpower not to attack that predator, Baekhyun. Instead, he clenched his hands into tight fists that would leave indentations of his fingernails in his palms.

 

What the hell?

 

***

 

Minseok felt like he was floating as he entered his dorm. He’d never felt like that before with anyone. Or rather, not in this life. It was just this fluttering feeling in his chest that filled him with warmth and happiness. He smiled like an idiot as he fell back onto his bed with a dreamy sigh.

 

Laughing despite himself, Minseok realized that he was acting like some giddy school boy. Composure. He needed some composure.

 

Especially for what would take place next.

 

A thud drew Minseok’s attention to the doorway where he saw Luhan standing, shrugging off his bag to the floor. It was dark, but Minseok offered a smile in his direction anyway. However, there was something off about the way Luhan was acting; his movements were jarring and he seemed almost distant.

 

“Luhan,” Minseok greeted, “What’s up?”

 

Luhan grumbled, “Nothing.” his voice came out more aggressive than he’d meant for it to, but he was frustrated. How could Minseok hide something like his frivolous relationship with that vampire prof?

 

Minseok nodded, but before he could say anything else, Luhan snapped.

 

“What do you see in him anyway?”

 

“W-What?” Minseok stammered, looking in the general direction of Luhan’s voice.

 

“I saw you together.” Luhan muttered, “You and that Professor Byun.”

 

Within the silence of the room, Minseok could swear his rapid heartbeat could be heard by Luhan.

 

“You don’t understand,” Minseok began, “I’m not who you think I am.”

 

Luhan felt his whole body go colder than it had ever been before, “What do you mean?”

 

Minseok sat up, getting out of his bed, “I, uh, I don’t know how to explain it, Luhan.”

 

“Try.” Luhan spat, perhaps more angrily than he’d meant.

 

“I,” Minseok laughed softly out how stupid his explanation was about to sound as he approached Luhan on the other side of the room, “I’ve been reincarnated.”

 

An odd silence fell over them. It was awkward, but it wasn’t exactly uncomfortable either. Luhan closed his eyes and began to laugh and cry at all once.

 

Minseok stepped back hesitantly before he embraced Luhan against him. Luhan sobbed into his chest as Minseok thread his fingers through his hair.

 

“It’s okay.” Minseok breathed, “Luhan, it’s okay.”

 

“No,” Luhan sniffled, “I’m not who you think I am either.”

 

“Hey, hey,” Minseok spoke softly, “Luhan, look at me.”

 

Luhan shook his head, “No, I can’t.”

 

“Lu.” Minseok whispered, “It’s alright, look at me.”

 

Minseok watched as Luhan swallowed, his throat bobbing as he did so. It took a moment, but when Luhan looked up to stare directly into Minseok’s eyes, Minseok felt his heart stop. Even in the darkness of the room, Minseok could see the glint of Luhan’s fangs.

 

“Since when?” Minseok gasped, instantly letting go of Luhan’s frame.

 

“Since,” Luhan shook his head, “Forever.”

 

“But, your eyes.”

 

“Contacts.”

 

Luhan looked down and slowly, carefully removed the lenses from his eyes. When he looked back up, his red piercing irises staring straight through Minseok. The gasp Minseok had tried to stifle was far too audible for Luhan’s heightened senses. He shook his head and looked back down, in shame.

 

“I wanted to tell you,” Luhan began, but was abruptly halted.

 

“Stop.” Minseok raised his hand and backed away slowly, “You’ve been lying all this time?”

 

“You were so afraid of vampires and when we met you were relieved I was human, but-”

 

Somewhere in the depths of Minseok’s brain, he knew that how he was about to react was incredibly irrational. However, the Minseok of this time, the one who had only been alive for a little over 25 years, was ready to argue with Luhan until he passed out from hyperventilation. How could Luhan have spent all of this time lying to his face? Knowing that he was terrified of vampires? How could he do this to him?

 

“Why?”

 

Luhan stuttered and when Minseok shook his head, ready to turn away, Luhan reached out and grabbed his arm.

 

“I love you.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter