Same Old, Same Old

Deals and Bets

“Where’s my car?” Krystal looked around the parking lot as they exited the hospital. Fully replenished and was given the ok sign to go, she had to force Myungsoo on letting her go home than stay at the hospital. She wasn’t really sick, he just panicked, she just fainted. That’s all. But to Myungsoo, it seems that he would have ordered for her to have all the exams available before leaving the hospital. It was a good thing their parents were there, at least someone got to stop Myungsoo from his shenanigans.

 

“Probably still at the office. Security there is tight.” He was putting their things in the backseat, nothing much, just their briefcases and coats. And also a basket of fruits. Their parents brought Krystal some fruits as they thought that she would be admitted for the night. Myungsoo’s father explained to them that they went to their house first, but there was no one around. They figured Krystal might be very sick to not been able to come home yet. It turns out that Krystal was ready to go as soon as she finished the IV bag, but since they were working on the project, their stay got extended for three more hours. Now they could finally go home.

 

“I know that. But can you drop me off at the office? I’ll drive my car back home.”

 

“What? No way. You just got out from the hospital. There’s no way I’m letting you drive yourself.”

 

“I so can do it. Besides I need it to go to work tomorrow.”

 

“Just ride with me. Then you can take it home after.”

 

“You are forgetting one vital information. Care to guess?”

 

“I’d like to take a guess that you are the only one who knows the answer.”

 

“I’m ignoring that. What I mean is that people would see me going outside your car tomorrow morning. I can’t let that happen.”

 

“And why not? You’re afraid of people seeing a different side of you is that it? Why do you even care so much about appearances?” It was the first time that Myungsoo’s patience left him. He is getting tired of Krystal’s face game. Ever since he came back, all he wanted to do was to be with Soojung. He accepted, what it seems to be, the challenge of Soojung by being Krystal. The type wherein he has to play well enough to get her back. But no, she was adamant and would not want to do anything with him. Yeah it was all his fault, partly, but isn’t it too much?

 

He went closer to her, voice in a pointed but low enough voice. “Why do you even bother to neglect your own parents, your in-laws, heck even your husband? Is being connected to me hurt you so much?” He decided to calm down. It was not good for any of them.

 

“Why? Do you want to know why?” Krystal’s voice was icy, cold, piercing. She looked at him straight in the eye, not flinching even once. “It’s all because I want to prove to everyone that I do not need my parents’ name, your parents’ name, or even your name to earn my spot at the company.” She proceeded to push her pointer finger, dabbing at his chest. “No way I’m going to let another rumor ruin the place I earned.” She was on the verge of screaming and lashing out on him. Good thing they were outside in a public place so they held their control. She got into the car and Myungsoo sped off.

 

No one was talking until Krystal pointed to Myungsoo that she needs to pick up her car.

 

“I’m angry and out of patience, yes. But I’m still not going to let you go drive alone.”

 

“Did the whole argument meant nothing to you earlier?” Krystal was getting pissed again.

 

“I’ll let mom or dad bring it here. They’re coming for dinner. So just rest.”

 

Krystal did not talk anymore. She knew better than to push his buttons especially when he resorts to verbal arguments. Old Myungsoo was the type to back down easily on conflicts. For him, it is better to lose the argument than the relationship. You can count on just one hand the times when he did argue back. But the Myungsoo who just came from Japan took a very keen interest in arguments and twisting other people’s minds. It was kind of soothing to see that Myungsoo still had not fully changed. How about her? Did she change with her choice to have a new life, name per se?

 

As soon as they got home, they avoided each other. It was awkward and very new to have no nonsense arguments. Someone would have to say sorry.