Baby Talk

Deals and Bets

“Qian-Qian, stop scaring the two.” Zhoumi finally appeared into the room. “Achie, I got your water.” He went to give Maxene the water bottle in his hands. “Nice seeing you two again! It’s been so long since we went back to Korea. I never thought that I would actually miss you two!” He was talking so fast and only paused to hug the two bewildered young adults.

 

“Wait, they are really staying with us for a week?” Krystal could not help herself but to ask the question.

 

“No, no, no. Victoria was just messing around.”

 

“Victoria! If you could please stop doing that to us. I know I missed you too but not too much.” Myungsoo had got rid of his initial shock of the prank.

 

“Okay. But I’m not kidding! You are going to look after the two. Maybe I just exaggerated, just for rest of the day. Zhoumi and I have to attend the board meeting today. And I know you won’t disagree. Cause if you will, I might just leak some baby photos of you Myungsoo.” For the third time or so that day, Myungsoo’s eyes widened.

 

“You would not do that Song Qian.”

 

“Oh, don’t even try me. Just on this phone I have a picture of baby Superman. And I have an interview for Baby and Breakfast tomorrow, they might need baby photos there.”

 

Krystal was now laughing. She knows about that picture. And as she also knows about Victoria, she would totally show those pictures any way she can.

 

“Soojungie, don’t worry, I also have pictures of you. The ballerina one would really be perfect.”

 

Both Myungsoo’s and Krystal’s face turned horrid. As much as people would say they are cute in those pictures, they beg to differ. Those days look like as if they haven’t eaten for years.

 

“So do we have a deal?” Victoria was grinning widely at them.

 

After Victoria and Zhoumi left them with all the things Maxene and Maddox will need, the reality of it all happening had just took a toll on them.

 

“Do you even have a slightest idea on taking care of kids?” Myungsoo and Krystal were standing at the door, while the two kids are watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at the TV in Myungsoo’s office.

 

“Not a clue. Maybe they will just watch TV all day.” They both nodded to that. But Maxene turned to talk to them.

 

“Auntie Soojung, shoti is hungry. Is it okay for us to eat?” Myungsoo nudged her to go closer to them.

 

“Of course, what do you want to eat, Maddox? She went to the couch and was talking to Maddox. And of course, he wasn’t answering her.

 

“How about you Maxene? What do you want to eat? Myungsoo also went to help the awkward scene.

 

“Can we have cookies? But shoti can’t have nuts or chocolates.” She turned to Maddox “You want cookies for cha cha, shoti?” And Maddox just answered by saying “cookies!” and imitating the cookie monster. Myungsoo and Krystal had to laugh at that.

 

“Okay, cookies it is.” Krystal turned to Myungsoo, “Any chance you have some stashed in your desk?” Myungsoo went over to his desk and opened his drawers.
 

“I might, but they might either be…  expired or…  containing nuts.” He took out some packets of cookies from his drawers. Maxene went to look at them.

 

“Shoti can’t eat them. Do you have Oreos? Shoti likes them, and I like them too.”

 

“I think we might need to go buy them. How about I go out and Myungsoo you stay here with them?”

 

“That’s a plan, but I can’t promise that they would have fun.” He turned to Maxene, “Do you and Maddox want to come with us to buy some cookies?”

 

“Mommy told us that we can’t go anywhere just yet. And shoti is hard to control if he is outside without Daddy.”

 

“Okay, back to plan A, modified plan A. I’ll buy, you stay.” Myungsoo was already taking his car keys when she stopped him.

 

“No, I can’t stay with them. I don’t know anything about kids.”

 

“Won’t it come naturally to women? Not that I’m being a ist, just that I thought kids love their mommies more?”

 

“I beg to differ. You took care of our neighbor’s kid when I was helping out their mother cook.”

 

“Mason? I just played with him for less than an hour. I don’t count that as an experience.”

 

“Better than nothing.”

 

“Fine. You owe me.”

 

As Krystal went out to buy the cookies, Myungsoo tried to break the ice between the three people in the room. He decided to sit on the floor while the kids are at the couch.

 

“So, Maxene, how old are you?”

 

“I’m five.” While showing him the number of fingers in her hand.

 

“Hmm, how about Maddox? He tried tickling Maddox to make him look at him.

 

“Shoti, show Uncle how old are you.” Maxene was trying to teach Maddox the correct way of showing three in his fingers.

 

“Threeee!” Maddox showed him four rather than three fingers.

 

“No, maddox, this is how you show three.” He held out his fingers and tried to bend the fingers of Maddox the right way.

 

Maddox just wriggled free and proceeded to dance to the music of Mickey Mouse.

 

“Dance dance.” Maddox was saying again and again, and it seems that Maxene was also dancing now.

 

“Shoti likes to dance.”

 

“How about you achie, do you know how to dance?”

 

“Yup! But I get tired even before shoti finishes dancing. He likes dancing more. How about you uncle? Do you dance?”

 

“I did when I was little like shoti.”

 

“How about now?”

 

“Uncle is older and can’t dance to Mickey Mouse music anymore.”

 

“Why not? We’ll teach you how to dance.”

 

He was actually proud of himself for making progress with the kids, so even though he is reluctant to do so, he took of his coat and loosened his tie. “Okay, but shoti will have to teach me as well, okay Maddox?”

 

“Dance dance!”

 

To say that Krystal’s eyes widened again as soon as she went to Myungsoo’s office may be a deja vu. But seeing him dance to the clubhouse theme song was too cute to pass of by not taking a video of it. Myungsoo seemed to realize that she was watching and stopped the kids also.

 

“Kids let’s stop dancing for a while. Your cookies are there with Auntie Soojung!”

 

“Cookies!” Both Maddox and Maxene ran to her to get the cookies.

 

“What do you say first?” Krystal was already opening up the packet for Maddox.

 

“Xie xie.” Maddox was munching on the cookies before she talked to him again.

 

“Are the cookies yummy shoti?” He just nodded and continued on eating. Maxene also nodded as well.

 

“Thank you Auntie for the cha cha.”

 

Krystal was smiling and she looked on the two kids busy eating the cookies. She saw Myungsoo taking pictures of them. She stood up and grabbed a two towels.

 

“Achie Maxene, make sure to wipe the sweat of Maddox as well, okay?” Maxene took the towel and started to wipe Maddox’s face first.

 

Krystal moved to Myungsoo and wiped the sweat trickling down his face.

 

“I never knew you could dance that well to kid’s songs.” He took one cookie from the bag and made Krystal take a bite.

 

“I never knew that myself. But it’s fun. You should get the two to teach you as well.”

 

“No need, I got it all on video.” Krystal was chuckling. Myungsoo hugged her from behind and whispered to her.

 

“How about we make one of those as well? Tonight maybe?

 

“Sorry boss. But since I was trapped here to take care of three kids, I have to finish my work later when I get home.”

 

Myungsoo pouted at her. “I’ll just move the deadlines. And what do you mean by three kids? From what I remember, you ran out to buy cookies while I played with them.

 

“Well, your Superman picture is more embarrassing.”

 

“That was not a fair deal. As well as your deal. Don’t finish that work tonight.”

 

“No can do. I’m not yet your wife remember?” Before Myungsoo could say something, Maxene spoke up.

 

“Uncle, shoti needs to go to the bathroom.”

 

Myungsoo’s face fell. It was still a long half a day ahead. And he was not even going to get anything.