Am I Too Late?

If Only You Knew

"Hello Unnie?"

"Yes Yong?"

"I'm scared"

"About what?"

"Telling her."

"Huh? Telling what to wh... oh you mean Byul."

Solar was on the phone with her sister. She was totally freaking out about confessing to the women she loved. She was scared and nervous and.. well just really scared.

"Yes Byul" Solar answered.

"Yong, you just have to go for it! Anyway, why are you whispering?"

"I erm.. am standing right outside Byul's apartment"

".... well that's more than I expected you to manage. I expected you to chicken out at least once"

"HEY!"

"What? Don't deny that you didn't consider leav..."

"Oh . I think she heard me. I hear movement. OMG I am not ready. But I should go. Call you later Unnie.

Solar hung up before her sister could respond. She held her breath as she heard the footsteps get closer. When Byul opened the door, Solar watched as Byul's expression changed from curiosity to confusion before finally settling on sadness.

"Byul I.."

"What are you doing here?" Byul interrupted before Solar could finish.

"I... we.. need to.. talk to.. I need to talk.. to you" Solar managed eventually.

"About?" Moonbyul asked without inviting her in.

"About u.. can I come in first?"

"Unnie.. I don't think.."

"Byul-ah. I want.. I need to talk to you. Just let me in. I just need a few minutes. After that, if you want me to leave, I'll.. leave" Solar finished hoping it wouldn't have to come to that.

".... come in" Moonbyul finally said.

Solar could tell that Byul wasn't angry. She knew that her stand-off-ish attitude was out of pain and that it was probably the only way she felt she could protect herself. But today, today she was going to put an end to that. At least she hoped so. She followed Byul into her cosy little living room. Byul sighed before turning around to face Solar with her arms crossed. Knowing that she wasn't going to be invited to sit, Solar just decided to start talking. Or at least that's what her heart wanted but her lips didn't seem to agree.

"Unnie.. are you going to say something?"

"Byul-ah I... I erm.. need to talk to you about us and.. Eric"

"ERIC?! I knew this was a bad idea. I should not have let you in. Unnie. How could you possibly think that I will be okay with this. You walk in here and you want to talk about Eric? After what I told you?!"

"Byul-ah it's not what you think!"

"I confess to you and you come here to talk to me about Eric? About how in love you are with him? Did you want to rub it in my face? Did you?!" Moonbyul was pacing around furiously as she spoke.

"BYUL! Just listen to.." Solar tried to get closer and held her so she would stop. She was greeted with a now very angry Moonbyul standing at arms length.

"NO I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN. NOT ABOUT ERIC. I DON'T WANT TO.."

"I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU! Not Eric.. Not Eric, You. I love you Byul. I mean I love Eric too but I realised that it was a different kind of love. He and I are over though. I don't even think we're friends anymore. I destroyed him. All because I didn't realise earlier that I was in love with you. Have always been.m. I mean we're both girls. I never really gave that thought a chance. But the world is different and I don't care what people might say.. Argh that's not the point I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU... I love you Byul. I love you so so much"

Solar stopped for a moment to catch her breath. Byul's eyes were filled with tears and she wanted so much to wipe those away but she had to finish what she had to say.

"I love you. I love everything about you. You're kind, caring, beautiful and basically the best woman I have ever met and I can't bear being apart from you. I am myself when I am with you. You make me so happy. You are the reason for my happiness. Byul-ah you remember asking me that question right? The answer is you. And more than anything I want to be the reason for yours. But I don't know if I'm too late. Am I too late? Byul am I?"

Everything else that happened next felt like it happened in slow motion. To the both of them it did. Byul smiled. She smiled more than she had in a while. The sight of that warmed Solar's heart. Byul then  took a small step forward and placed her hands on the cheeks of the woman she loved so much. Solar placed her own hands onto byul's as she relaxed into her touch, the one she missed as much. "You're not too late unnie, I love you and only you. I always would have.. from a far. No one could have taken your place. If I couldn't have you, I just wasn't gonna be with anyone else but who would have thought.. that you love me too? I mean who would have?" As she said that the tears finally fell, from both their eyes but in the longest time, the tears Byul shed were tears of joy. "So this means I still have a chan..." Solar was cut off by Byul's lips on hers. Byul pulled back after a short chaste kiss. "You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do that" Byul said as she pulled Solar in for a hug. They stayed that way for a while before pulling back.

 

"So what now?" Solar asked unable to think properly after her emotional roller coaster ride of a day.

"So now.. we take things slow. We go back to being the way we used to be and we'll see where it takes us from there?"

"The way things were sounds good enough to me for now"

As much as Byul wanted to kiss those lips again.. she settled for a peck on the cheek.

"Slow.. for now"