Chapter 15: In Love?

Behind The Mask

 

*Quietly covers in embarrassment because author hasn't been updating in months*

 


 

“Take another three steps Baekhee~” 

    “Mom, Dad, Can I open my eyes now?”

    “No No! Not yet! We still haven’t arrived yet!” 

    “Aw, Mom! I still can’t wait!” 

    “Take 5 more steps… 5… 4… 3… 2... 1…” 

    “SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR!”

    As soon as little 5-year old Baekhee took off her blindfold, she saw her uncle, her aunt, and little 3-year old Joongki being held and carried by her grandmother with a party hat that covered half of his face. 

    Her aunt then walked towards a huge thing that was covered in a red fabric, she pulled the fabric as Baekhee widened her eyes in surprise. 

    It was a piano. 

    "Oh my god mom! Dad! Is this for me?" Little Baekhee got excited as she rushed towards her new piano, sitting on her piano bench, randomly hitting and pressing keyboards. 

    "My dear... That's not how you play it..." Baekhee's dad said as he sat on her piano bench, "Let me play you a song" 

    He played a happy birthday song, along with Baekhee's mom singing. 

     "Happy Birthday to you..."

    "Happy Birthday to you..."

    "Happy Birthday... Happy Birthday..."

    "Happy Birthday to you..." 

    "Happy 5th Birthday to you, my dear..."

    Baekhee soullessly walked. Forward and Forward. Tears couldn’t stop falling. Joongki couldn’t bear to see her as he froze in his place, leaving Baekhee on her own. She stopped by the convenience store, sitting in front of the doorway all by herself, hugging her knees tightly as she balls herself staring into the blackness of nothing. 

    She then felt sudden warmness on her back as she gripped on an unknown coat that was placed suddenly on her back. She looked up to see the blurriness of a figure’s back, rushing through the droplets of the chilly rain as her vision began to blur and eventually, her sight turned black. 

    “Baekhyun…”

    Meanwhile, Baekhee regained her consciousness as she looked around to find herself in her room. She glanced beside her to see Joongki beside her with his wet clothing. Her tears started to fall thinking of her parents and memories together causing Joongki to wake up in worry. 

    “Baekhee!? Baekhee are you okay?” 

    “I just miss mom and dad…”
     
    “Oh god Baekhee, please don’t think of this. I beg you. Please” 

    “I can’t stop. It just shatters my heart as soon as dad said it.” 

     “You know what’s the best for you, just go back to sleep. Oh and that’s your black coat over there”  Joongki glanced behind him to see Baekhyun’s coat that was hung on top. “I’m going to sleep now, good night sis, love you”

    “Yeah good night kid” 

    As soon as Joongki slept, Baekhee stared at the wall. 

    “Did Baekhyun really just covered me with his coat? Did he really? Is this a payback for the meat I bought him? But wasn’t he pissed at me after he helped me? Then why did he help me just now? He doesn’t really care doesn't he?” 

    Questions kept showering all around her mind as she looked beside her to see her phone on a table filled with 50 missed calls notifications.

    It was Sehun. 

    Baekhee smiled as she dialed Sehun’s number in content. “Sehun?”

    “Baekhee! Why didn’t you answer my calls? I was so worried about you! I can’t even sleep”

    Baekhee gave a light chuckle, “Are you that worried?” 

    “Is it wrong to worry about you? Didn’t I tell you I’ll be around you at all times?”

    “Sehun I swear I’m alright.” Baekhee lied. 

    “Are you sure Baekhee? I had a really bad feeling for the past few hours!” 

    “I swear I’m fine Sehun, now go to sleep, I bet you’re tired of waiting for hours already” 

   “Alright then. I hope you’re alright. I was waiting for 4 hours waiting for your call” 

    “Yeah, I’m sorry about that. But good night! Thanks, Sehun!” 

    “Good night Baekhee! Have a good rest!” 

    As soon as Baekhee ended the call, Baekhee put her phone back as she continued staring at the ceiling but this time, her face was getting red that was plastered with a wide grin. 

    “Oh god… I am so happy right now…” 

    “He’s good-looking”

    “His personality and attitude is amazing”

    “He’s talented” 

    “He cares and worries about me” 

    “He’s always there for me” 

    “Oh my, am I in love right now?” 

    Baekhee’s thought stopped as she squealed, covering her face with both of her hands with her wide happy grin as she felt butterflies on her stomach, heart beating fast and face getting warmer. It was an uncontrollable feeling that puts Sehun in her thoughts 24/7. She felt that everything was just perfect. 

    “Hopefully he feels the same way as I do…”