Chapter 14: The truth

Behind The Mask

Meanwhile Baekhee was laying on her bed, staring at her calendar, tomorrow was her mom’s first death anniversary and her 18th birthday. 28th of May. She looked beside her to see her piano and her book filled with songs she composed that were filled with hers and her mom’s memories.

 

“I miss you, mom…”

 

“How are you doing up there…”

 

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’m totally fine here…”

 

“I’m always smiling… I’m always happy… I’m always healthy…”

 

“How about you mom…”

 

Just then Joongki entered her room with a neutral expression and sat on her bed.

 

“Dad just texted me,” Joongki said, lowering his head down.

 

“What happened?” Baekhee curiously asked.

 

“He’s going to get married in a few days. He’s expecting us to attend his wedding” Joongki said.

 

“Married!?” Baekhee shouted in disbelief, “B-but J-Joongki… It’s mom’s--”

 

“I know I know,” Joongki said, “But the past is the past Baekhee. They both decided to go their own ways. They’re not each other’s anymore.”

 

“But he used to love her Joongki! It’s her death anniversary tomorrow! And getting married around the day as her death anniversary!? That’s extremely inconsiderate of him!”

 

“Baekhee!--”

 

“This won’t do. I’m going to dad’s now!” She took her jacket as she walked out of her house. Joongki sighed in defeat as he followed her behind.

 

She walked quickly as her tears began to fall, “How can dad do this?”

 

As soon as she arrived, she knocked the door and entered in, followed by Joongki behind her.

 

“Baekhee!? What are you doing here right now!?” Her father shouted in surprise.

 

“Cancel that marriage immediately!” Baekhee was already fuming as she shouted, tears still falling.

 

“B-Baekhee, p-please calm down…” Joongki said quietly.

 

“What are you saying? It’s my wedding. You have no rights to cancel it” Baekhee’s dad said, pissed.

 

“It’s mom’s death anniversary tomorrow! And you’re holding your marriage around this time!? How pathetic you are!”

 

“So what!? Why should I care!?”

 

“YOU WERE HERS” Baekhee couldn’t take it anymore as she shouted on top of her lungs, crying even louder.

 

Baekhee’s father tried to calm down, taking a deep breath as his anger were still going around his mind and body, “Do you want to know why I divorced with your mom and always hated you?”

 

Baekhee stayed silent and stopped her tears.

 

 

 

“I was always happy with her until I found out that your mom had you with another man! I’ve always hated you and your mom since then!”

 

 

 

Silence; Joongki and Baekhee widened their mouths in disbelief. Baekhee kept shaking her head as she fell on her knees.

 

“No… No…” Baekhee’s tears started to fall as Joongki squatted beside her, frozen.

 

“Dad… You’re lying right?” Baekhee tried to force a laugh, “This is all a joke right dad? You ARE my biological father right dad…?” She tried continuing to force herself to laugh, instead, teardrops rolled down her cheeks, crawling towards her father’s as she kneeled down.

 

“We were never related. Don’t ever call me dad and let’s not meet each other anymore”

 

She felt trapped alone as if a sword pierced through her heart. This broken heart is silent, it can't be seen but the blood bleeds inside. Confusion, anger, and shame infiltrate her bones. Her heart is scorched.

 

She walked out; the tears still kept rolling down her cheeks as she felt droplets on her head and body. It was raining. Joongki tried to approach her, however, his feet wasn’t budging. He wanted to go to her and tell her that it’s okay. His feet were as frigid as a stone. The rain poured down from the sky and met the ground with a calming noise.

 

Baekhee fell on her knees.

 

“Why is it me…”

 

“Out of all people, why does it always happen to me…”

 

“Mom… Dad is lying right?”

 

“You wouldn’t betray dad like this right?”

 

“Mom... “


“He IS my biological father right…”