[unhappy birthday]

If Only

“Yoona! I’ve a surprise for you!”



“Ga Eul! You scared me to death! You’re being unfair!”



“What? Why? (laughs)”



“Nothing, you’re just taking advantage of my…”



“Of what?”



“The fact that I can’t see you peeking and watching me…”



“Which is why…you’re going with me.”



“Go with you? Where?”



“I finally got a job with the help of Yi Jung of course, and, I asked if I could get an advance.”



“So? What’s it going to do with me?”



“Well, since they agreed…I am going to take you to an optometrist.”



“Eh what? Ga Eul…”



“Yoona… you’re like my sister forever. You’re stuck with me and I’m stuck with you.”



“Aww…Ga Eul, I love you!”



“I know. (laughs)”



They hugged.



“Well what do you know, our girls are having a good time chit chatting, can we join you?”



Woo Bin smiled, they just entered the room. Ga Eul got in first ‘cause the boys had to park their cars in the basement. Woo Bin was holding a bunch of flowers on his right hand and a box of cake on the left. Yi Jung, on the other hand was bringing 2 very big boxes. Big enough for a cake though…



“Woo Bin? Is that you?”



“Uh no, (changing his voice into a husky one), I’m a police and I’m going to arrest you for stealing.”



“What? Stealing what?”



“For stealing my heart. (laughs)” handing her the flowers.



Ga Eul smiled seeing her friend looking happy. But was shocked to see how big the boxes Yi Jung were carrying.



“What is that? I haven’t seen that in your car.”



“It’s an advance birthday present. A pre-birthday present actually.”



“For?”



“Who else is celebrating her birthday?”



“Me?”



“Let’s pretend that was a fun joke okay? Open it.”



Ga Eul opened the box and almost cried when she saw what’s inside. A Pink dress while on the other box was shoes and a bag.



“I can’t accept this.”



“What? Why?”



“It’s too beautiful, it won’t suit me.”



Yi Jung stood up and put his hands on Ga Eul’s shoulders.



“You are beautiful beyond description and I really can’t take my eyes off you.”



Then Ga Eul remembered what Eun Jae said.



___________________________________________________________________________



Flashback:



“So I guess you don’t know…”



“What?”



“Woo Bin and Yi Jung are known for being a player.”



“What sport?”



“Oh, silly, you’re too innocent…womanizers.”



“Wo…womanizers?”



“Yes, Yi Jung doesn’t keep a girl for more than 1 week, and Woo Bin likes to date older women.”



“But…”



“I guess you don’t know them yet, just a sisterly advice, don’t get EMOTIONALLY involved. Okay?”



END OF FLASHBACK

___________________________________________________________________________



“Ga Eul yang… Ga Eul…Ya! Chu Ga Eul!” Yi Jung.



“Ehh? What?”



“Are you listening?”



“Ehh…yes. Uhm thanks for the gift.” She said lacking expression and went outside.



“What’s the matter with her?”


___________________________________________________________________________



“You, sir, are so tacky.”



“Ehh? Why? Yoona… even though you can’t see it, can you feel it?”



“What?”



“How much I’m interested in you.”



“I don’t know…too early to tell.”



“I have something to tell you but this time, I’m sure it won’t hurt you.”



“Spill it.”



“Okay, I’m going to Macau next week, have some stuffs to take care and..”



“Family business?”



“Yah, sort of.”



“Then go, you don’t have to ask for my permission. If it’s about your family then I’m out of the way. (Smiles) but I’m happy you did ask me first, somehow, I feel special.”



“You ARE special.”



“Thanks…really. Thanks for the flowers, the cake…for taking care of me and Ga Eul.”



“Pfft. Now is not yet the right time to say thanks…anyway, I’ll be away for 2 weeks, so I’m making sure I get to talk to you every day.”



“Ehh? Is that even possible? I mean, it would be very pricey, it would cost me my yearly allowance.”



“Says who? Here.”



He held her hand and handed her a cell phone. (HapticMotion: like their flat screened ones in the series)



“What’s this? A remote control?”



“Very funny…just ask Ga Eul how to use it okay? I’ll miss you.”



“Hmmm, you’re very fast young man.”



“Am I?”



“I certainly hope so. (laughs)”




Meanwhile…



“Ya, Ga Eul! Where are you going?”



“Nothing, need some fresh air… I guess.”



“Are you okay?”



“Yah…I’m fine. (POV: you can’t fall for him Ga Eul, he’s only playing with you.)”



“I just hope you won’t take Eun Jae’s words for real.”




“Ehh? (POV: you can read my mind?)”



“I can sense it.”



“Ehh?!! You’re creepy!”



“What?”



“Seriously, can you read my mind? Do you know what I’m thinking?”



“What? I’m not a mind reader or something… why?”



“Seems you know how I really felt…and what’s running through my head…I mean mind.”



“I can see it in your eyes, I know you’re scared. Doubtful.”



“It’s just that…”



“Before you say anything, just think of this… I already have everything, money, the looks, business, name it…. I already have everything I could wish for. YOU? You’re not even pretty, and you’re not even that smart, you don’t have money, or an outstanding family background. We’re totally opposites, what is there to like about you?”



“Yah, you’re insulting…”



“But I can’t stop thinking about you!”



“Ehh? Sunbae…” she was speechless.




“And that’s when I came to realize…that I, So Yi Jung, a cold-blooded Casanova, is finally in love.”



With no hesitations, he hugged her with assurance of his heart. Making her feel how much he’s in love with her.




Ga Eul’s POV


He admitted, he finally did. He admitted he’s a cold blooded playboy who toys with girls for fun but what is this? What is this tingling thing I’m feeling right now? I feel like I’m paralyzed, I can’t even move my feet. I feel like I’m totally swept by his warm hug. Is this even real? Pinch me!


END OF POV



“Ga Eul-yang…tell me to stay, I’ll stay.”



“But…why? I thought when you leave, you won’t come back anymore…”



“I was only trying to make you stop me.”



“But, why are you going back there anyway?”



“I don’t even know.”



“You’re so immature!” and gave him a quick slap on his face, a gentle slap though. (not a harsh one. ^^)



They both laughed.



“So…what now?”



“I hate this awkward feeling…when you ran out of words to tell… and this weird silence goes…”



And Yi Jung stopped her with a kiss. At first she was hesitant but later gave in. Yi Jung cupped her face with his hands.



_________________________________________________________________________________



“Happy Birthday Ga Eul!” Yoona greeted her early Sunday morning.



“Yoona…thanks but get some sleep okay?” Ga Eul said not waking up.



“I’m just so excited, whatever the boys are planning, I just feel it will be great!”


Yoona kept on tugging her and succeeded ‘cause Ga Eul finally got up.



“Ga Eul, can you teach me where the call button is?” Yoona said handing her the cell phone.



“Yoona… where did you get this, do you know how much this phone would cost?”



“Right, I don’t even know how it looks like!”



“Did Woo Bin give it to you?”



“Ye…”



It was already lunch time but still Ga Eul didn’t receive any call or message from Yi Jung. Yoona also waited for Woo Bin’s call, but didn’t receive any.



_______________________________________________________________________________



“Yi Jung, you think we should call them?”



“I don’t think so…what would they think?”



“Here comes the monkey.”



“Hi!” and then she hugged them both.



“What are you doing here monkey?” Woo Bin



“Jae Kyung, what’s your business here? Why did you come all of a sudden?” Yi Jung



“Relax boys, don’t you even miss me? I’ve been away for almost 2 years and that’s what you’re giving me?”



“So? Where are you heading now because we have some important matters to take care of.”



“Like? Ga Eul’s birthday? And Yoona?”



Yi Jung and Woo Bin looked at each other.



“How did you even know about them?” Yi Jung




“Ya, monkey, I know you, if you touch them, i…”




“Woo Bin, you’ve been dating girls everywhere, you’ve encountered lots of them, some may last for 2 weeks without you even knowing their names. And yet… this particular Yoona…”



“If you have nowhere else to go then I suggest we should leave now.”

____________________________________________________________________________________


4PM



“Yoona, you think Yi Jung forgot about my birthday?”



“Impossible, he even gave you a present.”



Yoona’s phone rang.



“It’s him! It’s him!”



“Okay, calm down!” Ga Eul said and answered the phone.



“Hello?”



“Ga Eul? It’s Woo Bin… I am really sorry but Yi Jung and I have important things to attend to so… Ya, Ga Eul-ah, it’s me, Yi Jung, I can’t promise you but I’ll be back as I soon as I can okay? I’m sorry, happy birthday.”



“What did they say? Are they coming?”



“I don’t know, I wasn’t even sure what they were saying. Yoona, I say we go out and have some fun.”



“Just the two of us?”



“Ya…”



“Sure!”



They went to the park, Ga Eul bought a can of soda and some chips.



“Ga Eul, are you okay? You know those two, they’re busy with their busy lives… maybe you’ll just celebrate your birthday bash tomorrow.”




“Nah… it’s okay. Why don’t we go eat dinner outside? Just this once, we don’t get to eat delicious foods everyday.”



“That would be awesome! I’m sick of ramen already. ” Yoona laughed.



________________________________________________________________________________



Meanwhile…



“Hey monkey, where do you think you’re going?”



“I’m meeting a friend, let’s have dinner together okay?”



Yi Jung and Woo Bin both speechless.



“There she is!” Jae Kyung pointed.



Yi Jung and Woo Bin looked at each other, shocked.



“Eun Jae??” Yi Jung.



Eun Jae hugged Jae Kyung…and then she hugged Yi Jung too.



“What a coincidence, is it? Jae Kyung is my friend way back in college, and you are friends with her too. I say what a perfect timing is it?”



“I don’t know, and guess what? I don’t care. So ladies, shall we?”



They headed to the restaurant. Yi Jung and Eun Jae sitting together, and Woo Bin and Jae Kyung oppositely. The waiter arrived and got their orders.




“So, how’s it going with you two?” Jae Kyung asked.



“Everything’s fine…we’re fine… Yi Jung is…”



“We?” Yi Jung cut her.



Eun Jae just smiled.



________________________________________________________________________________



“Ga Eul, you sure have lots of money there don’t you? I could smell it, it looks like it’s really expensive here, cozy…and hmmmm smells delicious! Ahh, I can feel it, I’m hungry.” Yoona panted.



“(laughs) I’m happy you like it, you get to treat me everyday when we were in junior high, so, I’m returning a favor.”



“Do I still look the same before the accident?”



“Yah of course, nothing changed… except for your eyes.”



Yoona kept quiet. Both of them waited for their food to be served. Ga Eul was looking around when someone passed by their table.



“Eun Jae-unnie!” Ga Eul called.



“Unnie?” Eun Jae repeated.



“Ahh..sunbae…” Ga Eul restated.



“Oh, Ga Eul, you’re here, happy birthday anyway.” Eun Jae said smiling.



“Ehh? Thank you, how did you know?”



“You told me the last time, and Yi Jung was talking about you, just now, over there. You can go and join us, and bring your friend with you, ‘cause Woo Bin is also there.”



“Ehh…”



“Woo Bin? Did he say Woo Bin?” Yoona said not knowing her voice was loud enough that Woo Bin and Yi Jung on the other corner heard her.



“Yoona…” Woo Bin said.



“Ga Eul…” Yi Jung.



“Didn’t you know? Our friend Jae Kyung came back from Macau to fix the details for our weddings. Yi Jung, Woo Bin and I will be going to Macau for a vacation before our wedding next month.”



“Ehh…” Still, Ga Eul was speechless.



Then, the two guys came with anxious looks.



“Eun Jae…” Yi Jung called.



“Oh, there you are, I was asking Ga Eul to join us, she’s our friend too, I mean, a schoolmate, right?”



“So, you’re Ga Eul, and this must be Yoona…Hi, I’m Jae Kyung.” Jae Kyung said extending her hand to Yoona for a handshake. Yoona stood up and unknowingly shook Woo Bin’s hand instead.



Woo Bin let out a smile.



“So, is this why you can’t come and celebrate with me? I see. Eun Jae-sunbae, thanks but no thanks, Yoona and I reserved this night just for the two of us. ”



“Oh, okay, if you need any help with the bill just tell me okay?” Eun Jae smirked and went back to their table.



“Ga Eul, listen…” Yi Jung tried to explain.



“No, you listen, Eun Jae was actually right eh? You don’t keep a girl for more than a week and Woo Bin likes to date older women. Aish, why did I even believe you in the first place. Since it’s my birthday, just pay the bill, thanks.”



Ga Eul said and she helped Yoona to stand up. Woo Bin held Yoona’s hand but Yoona resisted and freed herself.



“I maybe blind, but I’m not deaf, I can hear and feel what my eyes don’t see. Have fun in Macau, and congratulations, for the future newlyweds.” Yoona let out a deep sigh and they left.