Hints to the Trick

TOUCH

 

 

Woohyun was deep in thought in his room. The statement that Sunggyu gave back then made him realised something about the victim.

*Flashback*

“Well... Actually, I’m the last person to see her alive.”

A moment of silence came through for a second before Dongwoo once again panicked with the statement that the elder gave away.

“What!? Hyung! Seriously? Why didn’t you tell us earlier?” Dongwoo grabbed hold of the older’s shoulder.

A sudden outburst of worries suddenly overwhelmed Sunggyu. His head was bombarded with Dongwoo’s affections towards him to the extent that it was a bit suffocating.

“D-Dongwoo-ah… I… can’t… breathe…” he was struggling to take a lungful of air as though he was drowning.

The younger quickly let go of his hold of Sunggyu. He forgot that the elder’s ability had not yet returned to normal.

“Sorry, hyung... I did it again, huh?” he guiltily clenched his fist on his bag. Sunggyu let out a few fits of coughing while patting his gloved hands on the dino’s shoulder as a sign that it’s okay.

Woohyun who saw the weird ‘drama’ can’t help wondering about the hamster hyung’s actions - the gloves and the seemingly drowning act. But, he decided that all of that can wait later as he needed to focus on the case.

“How does she looked like that time?” he straightforwardly asked Sunggyu without that sweet tune of his voice, which meant that he’s dead serious.

As soon as his coughing finally calmed down, he faced the greasy boy only to be shocked with the expression that the boy gave - a determination look that he never imagined will appear on that boy’s handsome features who he knows as the one who liked to give away cheezy lines a few hours ago during the introducing-yourself part.

“I only got to see her face a few seconds as we were just passing by each other on the stairs that headed towards the rooftop. She looked scared and maybe a hint of anger if I’m not mistaken,” Sunggyu kept his poker face while explaining it to Woohyun.

*End of flashback* 

The young detective grabbed his smartphone and did a speed dial of his best friend, Key. After two ringings, the line was picked up.

“My Hyun~”

“My Bum~”

“Hahaha… Nice hearing that you’re still hyped up. How’s your new school? I heard from Detective Choi that there’s a case going on there. You’re okay with it?” Key asked worriedly. Woohyun smiled half-heartedly when hearing the other’s concern about him. Usually, they’ll brainstorm together when there are cases like these.

“I’m okay. Well, I’m a bit lost ‘cause I don’t know anyone besides these two amazing hyungs but I‘ve to solve this case by tomorrow,” he replied back his best friend’s question.

“That’s my pal. Anyway, anything that I can help searching?”

“Can you give me a background of the victim, Park Hana and-” he thought about Sunggyu’s painful looks and was tempted to find out his past but he soon decided to approach him in order for the other to open up his own past to him willingly.

“Hello? Hyunnie? Got something stuck in your throat?” Key teased his sudden silence.

“Huh? Er… nothing… Just help me with the victim’s info, okay? I think it is lights out for me today.”

“Fine… I’ll text or email you about her tomorrow. I also need my beauty sleep tonight.”

Woohyun can hear a hint of sarcasm there though he took it as an approval.

“Night, Key~”

“G’night, Woohyun~”

‘Tomorrow will be the day where everything will be revealed.’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woohyun skipped a class which was before recess time with an excuse of going to the infirmary due to a headache (which was a half lie ‘cause he did have a headache - because he kept thinking about the case). Instead, he went to the rooftop where it seemingly to be the ‘real’ crime scene. There were a few things that were puzzling him about this case.

He inspected every corner of the rooftop to find some clues but he found nothing, which was weird.

His phone rang and when he checked the caller ID, he grinned before picking it up.

“Hey, Old Man! How’s the autopsy going?”

“Well, we found that there’s a foreign substance in her body system.”

“Foreign substance? What is it?”

“It’s a sleeping medicine and a very strong one. Seems like it got transferred through something like a needle as there’s a punctured hole on her right fingertip,” the police officer sounded clueless while giving him the info.

‘That explained on why she didn’t scream while falling down…’

“Don’t worry, old man. I’ll be sure to catch the culprit on this day! Thanks for the tips, by the way,” he assured the detective with his best trustworthy voice.

“Geurae… I’m counting on you, Hyun-ah. Just like how your father trusts you in handling this kind of cases.”

Woohyun turned off the phone call and resumed to his efforts of finding the clues.

Suddenly, he felt another vibration in his pocket and he remembered that Key was supposed to give him the info. True enough, it’s really from him which he’s grateful for having a great friend. He opened the message and scrolled through the victim’s background.

“Let’s see…the daughter of Seoul’s Hotel and Resort Manager… Had a cousin named Jung Namhee who attends school at- oh! Also in this school! Others… hmm… had a reputation of being the school’s queenka… Always bullied the nerds-pfft! Typical girl!”

“What are you doing here, Woohyunnie?”

The said boy turned around quickly and was shocked to see Dongwoo and Sunggyu showed up at the rooftop.

“H-Hyung! Er… I want to… er… eat my lunch here! Yeah! It’s so open here and I like the view! Hahaha…” he awkwardly laughed.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes as he knows that the boy lied - which he thought that it was a bad one. He sat on the nearby bench while opening the lunchbox that Dongwoo had made.

“You’re a bad liar,” he commented soullessly before started eating.

Woohyun’s face turned red with the sudden sarcasm by the elder.

‘Man, he’s a lie detector?! I’m so embarrassed!’

Dongwoo just chuckled with Sunggyu’s attitude towards the younger as well as his flustered act.

“It’s okay, Hyunnie… I get it that you want to solve the girl’s case today, right?”

The young detective bulged his eyes in shock for the second time that day.

“H-How d-do y-you k-know?”

“I’ve searched about you last night. Nam Woohyun. The young detective who brilliantly solves almost all of the police cases with his partner, Key under the name of Toheart in just one day. How cool is that! Why didn’t you tell me yesterday?”

Woohyun blushed with Dongwoo’s compliment before being scoffed by Sunggyu.

“Like he’s that great. The word ‘almost’ should be the proof that he’s just an amateur.”

“But, hyung! His dad is the head chief of police department! Maybe he can help searching for Min-”

“NO! I HATE THEM SINCE THEY DIDN’T HELP MUCH IN THE PAST! SCREW THOSE POLICE OFFICERS!”

Hearing the hamster snapped made Woohyun flinched. How deep is the hatred that the small eyes elder had towards his father’s occupation?

Dongwoo sighed and faced back towards Woohyun.

“I’m sorry for Gyu-hyung’s temper. He didn’t really mean to diss your dad…”

“It’s okay, hyung. I think I need to go find some clues through the victim’s friends and family.”

He left the rooftop and was about to find this Namhee girl when he heard Dongwoo called out to him.

“What’s the matter, hyung?”

“I want to help you to solve this case. Since I have many friends in this school, maybe I can help out… in order to make up for you.”

The younger smiled and put his hands on the elder’s.

“Thanks, hyung. But, honestly, there’s nothing for you to apologise for earlier. Maybe he’s in a bad mood. I understand.” Dongwoo’s face brightened, and soon, they went to search some clues together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After gobbling down the lunchbox that Dongwoo made (he made three, by the way), they spend almost the entire lunch time interrogating all the people that Hana associated with. There were motives of vengeance throughout their meeting with the girls who the late Hana bullied. However, all of them had a strong alibi - in the meanwhile, they had not yet meet Namhee.

Woohyun suggested that they might find her in her class, year 2-C. They found the class to be unexpectedly empty. Heartbroken, they were about to leave when a girl suddenly appeared behind them.

“AHH!! Eomma!!” Dongwoo shrieked.

The girl seemed to be unfazed with their startled reaction, instead, she asked them in a monotone voice.

“Were you looking for Jung Namhee?”

“Er… yes?” the crazy beating of his heart from the shock just now seemed to be doing tricks with his sense of building sentences - blurting out a question rather than a reply.

She remained her poker face while heading towards a table beside the window.

“She’s absent today but she sits here starting from yesterday because we decided to move seats. Everyone did. But, I noticed that Namhee kept glancing through the window like she’s afraid of something. Also, surprisingly she left behind in the class alone during lunchtime. Usually, she went to the library. That’s all. Excuse me,” as though she knew what was Woohyun about to ask, she answered them all in one go - while maintaining her poker face with a cold tone before leaving the class.

Both Woohyun and Dongwoo were in a blank state by the sudden information of the girl. Dongwoo was the first one to snapped out from his mind.

“Right! She’s prophetic. I forgot about that,” before he cracked into laughter.

The young detective eyed at the laughing dino.

“Uh… Explanation, hyung?”

“That girl is Song ShinYoung. She can see the future through her dreams. She’s my vice-president in the Occult Club, so I know about her ‘gift’. She’s always like that - being a heartless girl but deep inside she’s insecure with the future knowledge that she knows,” the dino retorted.

Woohyun was surprised that there’s a ‘gifted’ person in this school. If only, he himself had the ‘gift’ that the girl has or maybe, psychometry will be a better option for his case.

“There’s another ‘gifted’ person but he’s extremely grumpy. I’m worried about his mental state since his ‘gift’ is very sensitive,” Dongwoo added on.

‘Wait! Grumpy? Sensitive? Don’t tell me…’

“Is it, Sunggyu-hyung? Does he has psychometry?” Woohyun guessed.

The dino chuckled as he was amused with the boy’s guess even with the vague hints.

“You’re truly are a genius detective, Hyunnie~! Yes, you’re right! Gyuzizi has psychometry^^!”

Woohyun felt like his world had been shone by a bright light. He ran towards the rooftop since that’s the only place he’ll always be during recess (according to Dongwoo). The other followed him behind with a meaningful smile on his face as he thought maybe by solving this case would make his hyung to befriend Woohyun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunggyu was taking a nap after eating his lunch. Dongwoo decided to chase the cheesy boy which made him scoffed.

‘Like I care he’s a detective! And I don’t even give a bull about his father!’

The medicine that he took after eating his lunch soon became effective as his train of thoughts started to calm - free from his anger earlier.

Out of the blue, the door of the rooftop was slammed open which made him jumped.

The boy who he sincerely didn’t want to be acquainted with headed towards him in a hurry steps and started dragging him away from the rooftop. If it’s not because there’s a giggling boy with him, he swore to himself that the boy who dragged him won’t be able to live tomorrow.

“What the hell are you doing?! Let me go!”

The boy didn’t reply him, instead, he focused to where they’re about to head to as though that he’ll forget about it soon.

They arrived at class 2-C where they fully stop at the table. The boy then faced Sunggyu while clasping both of his hands while pleading him innocently.

“Hyung! I really need your help! I want you to use your ‘gift’ to tell me what the girl who sits on this place did yesterday. I’ll figure out the rest! Just give me a little hint of breaking this alibi trick!” Woohyun begged the angry hamster sincerely with a firm look on his face.

Once again, Sunggyu was internally surprised with the seriousness that the boy in front of him displayed and the fact that he knows his ‘gift’. He glanced at Dongwoo who flinched a little as they eyes were in contact before giving a reassuring smile. He sighed, not knowing what to do anymore. He also wanted the girl’s case to be closed as soon as possible but this cheezy boy in front of him, attempting to solve it in just one day? It’s almost impossible! Soon, he found himself ruffling his own hair in frustration, giving in to his good intentions despite trying so hard to be ignorant.

“Fine! But, there’ll be no next time! And, Dongwoo…” the said boy flinched again, “You need to explain to me how did he found out about my ‘gift’,” he gritted his teeth.

The dino gave a smile while giving a thumbs up.

Sunggyu took a deep breath and did a breathing technique to calm himself and relaxed his mind. He closed his eyes and traced the table gently with his hands to find a ‘point’ that’s strong enough for it to show its owner’s actions. As soon as he reached the left edge of the table, his eyes opened wide as his left hand seemed to be attracted to the ‘point’ while a replay came up in his mind.

[Namhee was tapping continuously at the edge of the table. She kept glancing at the window as though she was waiting for something.

As soon as the bell rings, she stayed behind in the class.

Again, she’s still waiting for something to happen. A few minutes later, there’s something fell down from above.

When she looked down through the window, she saw Hana’s bloodied body on the school’s ground.

Then, she seemed to be taking something that was stuck on the wall near the window - 2 magnets that were attracted together where the other seemed to have an ‘invisible’ rope. The other one was stuck that looked like a chewing gum. She tugged the rope and something fell but it didn’t reach the ground, revealing a blurred picture where she held it with a handkerchief.]

“Hyung! Get a grip of yourself!” Dongwoo’s voice managed to snap him from his memory-reading.

When he finally came to his senses, he just realised that his whole body was shaking profusely. Dongwoo and Woohyun looked at him with worry etched on their face.

“Hyung… Gwaenchanayo?  What did you ‘read’ that make you tremble like this?” Dongwoo asked in concern. Sunggyu looked at them with his pale face. The emotions that he felt while having a replay had made a terrible impression on his own mind which made his body trembled: a mix of fear, regret, anger and self-satisfaction.

Sunggyu did a breathing technique to calm down his wrecked nerve before telling them that he’s fine and proceeded with what he ‘read’ earlier to the young detective.

“... She pulled the ‘invisible’ until a picture came to her view but I can’t see it as it was blurred which I don’t understand why.”

Woohyun was thinking hard when a possible alibi trick came to his mind. He quickly went to the cabinet at the back of the class and searched for Namhee’s locker. When he found it, he used his lock-picking skill (which he learned to find hidden clues) and saw what he expected to find: the 2 magnets, a fishing line and a picture. He used his own handkerchief to take out the picture for analysing. It was a picture of her, being beaten by Hana.

‘Seems like she’s our killer. But… why didn’t she get rid of this?’

Woohyun turned around and was glad that Sunggyu’s still with them.

“Hyung! Is there anything else that you 'read’?"

Sunggyu was surprised with the sudden question but he still kept his straight face while replying his question.

“No, but I felt a mix of her emotions that time. Anger, self-satisfaction, fear and regret.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Dongwoo tilted his head to the side, trying to figure what those emotions meant.

Woohyun contemplated for a while when his idea bulb was switched on.

“I think I’ve figured everything out!” he snapped his fingers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, guys! ^^ Long time no see, right?

I'm so sorry for the late update cuz I've Internet problems and my artistic problems (if you know what I mean) =_='

Anyway, sorry for the uneven bold and unbold fonts. I write my story in Google Docs since my laptop has some wording problems and when I 'CTRL+C' and 'CTRL+V' it here, it became all bold and I can't fix it... Sorry once again.

The continuation of Woohyun, Sunggyu and Dongwoo's first case together and the story altogether will be written later cuz I'm extremely busy for my final term in my foundation course (in other words, I'm going on a hiatus).

So, consider this update as my final gift for you before go to a hiatus. The same goes to my other works. I'll come back if I REAAALLLYYY have a free time.

I'm sorry (again) to disappoint you guys. You're the best subscribers ever.

I love you all!! >< *hand kiss*